Star vs TV Movie Event

Links:
>comicbook.com/tv-shows/2017/05/26/exclusive-star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-tv-movie-premieres-july/
>Movie Teaser - youtube.com/watch?v=N9gZhlvhzEs
>Mirror - my.mixtape.moe/jarjgs.mp4
>Subbed - my.mixtape.moe/zalpnc.mp4

Press Release Summary:
>Two-hour TV movie will premiere SATURDAY, JULY 15 (11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. EDT) on Disney XD, and will be available on the Disney XD app and Disney XD VOD platforms.
>Titled "The Battle for Mewni," the TV movie follows Star as she returns to her home dimension of Mewni where she discovers that magic is disappearing throughout the kingdom. Star must dig deep and challenge arch-nemesis Ludo in an effort to save her family and kingdom.
>S3 is slated to debut this fall.

Extras:
>Movie is the first four 30-min episodes of S3 played consecutively, they’re all under one arc. (source: twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/868208896199974912, hug-bees.tumblr.com/post/161102602232/)
>Tyler Chen directing on S3 (imtylerchen.tumblr.com/post/161107429699/)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bme4NT7FleE
wwe.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ylSxGVyng
imtylerchen.tumblr.com/post/161107429699/ive-been-directing-on-star-vs-for-season-3-the
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We have a full video of the Meet & Greet with Nefcy in Mexico

A visual guide to wondering what the fuck that purple entity is in the teaser

>joke about an entire Moon flashback episode
>Nefcy actually fucking does it

I'm scared, guys, what if Nefcy actually gets ideas and uses one of the "magic goes away and Star and Marco are separated forever because the entire show is actually a metaphor for growing up" greentext stories?

If we're going to have an ending where Starco is separated forever, I want it to be like Samurai Jack with Marco's existence being undone.

>show finale writings credits
>co-directed by: Genndy Tartakovsky

Moon deserved a better kid than Star.

Sta turnedr out the way she is because her deal with the "devil" to stop Toffee was to sacrifice her "firstborn" to him. Star is fated to go evil.

I mean, the show's more about how "being responsible, mature, self-sufficient, and confident" is the key to growing up. Magic usage isn't what's impeding Star's journey to adulthood, it's her hedonism, laziness, and egotism.

Lucitor Sr: In exchange for the power to smite our shared foe, you must promise your firstborn daughter's hand in marriage to my son, Tom.

(A decade later, Tom spergs. Hard)

Lucitor Sr: yeah, let's uh, let's call that off.

>wand gem corrupted by black goo

hmmm

Star is part of Moon's darkest spell, and makes Star half evil/darkness. Original title of show was Star and the Forces of Evil. Also explains how Rhombulus sensed evil on Star.

wwe.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ylSxGVyng

Star: Marco, am I a bad person?
Marco: Star, what the heck just happened?
Star: Am I, Diaz?!
Marco: (wags palm at her) Eh.

Then why wasn't she affected by eclipsa's chapter?

She was already as evil as she needs to be.

Because she's already half evil/darkness.

The dark magic takes over the "weaker"/more innocent person who reads it. Can't taint what's already tainted.

Or more accurately, it just gets the first person to see it. Marco saw it first so Star was unaffected. Ludo saw it without anyone else there and was left open to possession.

Moon selling her soul to Magic Satan was the best promo this show's ever done

if they focused on the lore/darker shit for more of the ads etc. the show might actually have a better reputation among the "well I don't watch it but let me tell you all about it" crowd

Presumably she was already tainted but didnt see the appeal at the time?

>Presumably she was already tainted

That didn't save Ludo.

>I call the darkness unto me
>From deepest depths of earth and sea
>To blackest night I pledge my soul and crush my heart
>To summon forth a deathly power
>To see my hated foe devoured
Fucking metal

But I'm still going to laugh if it turns out Moon literally sold her soul to a demon for a spell to kill an immortal, and she fucking whiffed it.

Nefcy has compared Toffee to Magneto, as a villain who has a point but goes about things the wrong way.
Other crew members have alluded to or directly stated that Moon and Toffee have a sort of tragic history.

What sort of relationship do you think they had before they became sworn enemies? Or did they know each other at all, beyond the battlefield?

I don't buy into the romantic angle, it's too weird with too many problems even beyond the weirdness.
I'm predicting that Toffee was representing his clan (or even monsterkind in general) in some sort of diplomatic mission to the Butterfly Kingdom, trying to negotiate a lasting peace with Mewmans and/or earn monsters better treatment or a recognized sanctuary outside of the Kingdom. Princess Moon would attend these meetings, and they went on long enough that she came to respect and sympathize with him and monsters in general. Maybe Toffee even had his own children around Moon's age.
Of course, this would end with the Queen and King double-crossing Toffee somehow. Things get ugly quick, most of the monsters are slaughtered, but Toffee obviously survives and strikes back with a vengeance, leading to the death of the Queen.
Young Queen Moon is bound by duty and honor to defend her kingdom and family, in a conflict they started against people who just wanted a chance at a better life, from a once good man driven mad with grief for his own loss and the rage of betrayal.

Like it says in the book, we are blessed and cursed.

What fuckig book, Smoke?

The spell gave her Star

MURDER ME SENPAI

>yfw the spell is actually a way for Queen Eclipsa to escape her prison.

>yfw the movie shows the merpeople and they happen to have neon streaks in their hair and wear seashell accessories

That's not tragic enough, though.

I want each of them thinking the other have disappeared out of existence, where in truth they're just irreparably separated.

Nefcy: oh but Jackie totally isn't a mermaid

That wouldn't happen because it would require Jackie to be important and interesting, and she's neither

>Sup Forums I'm really really excited! You guys are the best!

>the merpeople is oddly incredible at skateboarding

She's not a mermaid senpai. Better start giving up now

My impression of Moon and Toffee and whatever their potential relationship was keeps changing every time we get more information. Still not quite sure where they're going with it.

I do think they definitely knew each other outside of the context of battle; Moon apparently almost crying at the end of the spell during the promo (and in the "Demon Buster" poster) confirms it for me. But I've always hoped it wasn't romantic and I'd like to think the teaser we just got implies it wasn't-- Moon seems really young there.

Definitely my first reaction, around Into the Wand, was that Toffee had been killing Butterfly women for a while and Moon put a stop to it by threatening his immortality and seemingly stopping any threats for the next few decades.

Then comments from the crew and stuff made me think Moon was at fault in the situation as well, somehow, and even that possibly Toffee wasn't as much of a psychopath as depicted in the tapestry. They were friends or diplomatic allies once, Moon maybe couldn't live up to higher ideals she may have promised him in the past, and Toffee's possibly justified reaction ultimately led to Mewman-Monster Accord stuff making things worse and him plotting revenge ever since and abandoning his original cause.

The teaser is definitely more hardcore about the "darkest spell" than I was expecting (somehow I didn't see it as a specific thing but just almost like dipping down fueled by hate), with some sort of dark contract with likely deeper effects, and seems to project that Moon may have been wrong in this decision and that it was not a good move for anyone involved.

I think your prediction is convincing in that it probably will be a combination of neither one being totally the victim, maybe both of them even killed someone, etc. Also I guess Toffee would've been a diplomat from Septarsis and that the history of that is related too, but though they've set a lot up it's hard to tell how it all fits together.

Until the show says specifically otherwise you better get used to what Is a popular theory with lots of circumstantial evidence

But nefcy already said she isn't, she'd remain silent if it was a possibility, but she denied it.

Face it, Jackie has no interesting backstory and there are more interesting things already going on. She will be dropped.

Jackie is a water nymph instead.

>creators have never lied before
I'm betting that it was one of their original plans so that Jackie seemed more interesting, but got dropped along the way.

WHY THE FUCK DOES A SHOW FOR LITTLE GIRLS HAVE DEEP LORE?!
I came here for fun random times and a show to relax to!
Not something that would keep me up all night!

>But nefcy already said she isn't
Wait, where did she say this?

Genuine question, I am behind on all new developments beyond "new OP for S3"

Nefcy showing how it's done.

probably mewni seafolks are not called "mermaids"

around 13:40

Since the potential for Moofee is going to be forever quashed, will that stop all the goddamn MonStar posts?

>well, I like the theory that she's a mermaid, but she's not a mermaid
>she's not magical
hmm

>mewni seafolks are not called "mermaids"
in the book, Star do warn not to call them "Seaples"

Did she say "we'll get into her a little more" or am I mishearing?

>also tfw she's a "Venice beach girl" and you'll be staying in Venice beach next month

No, because autists gonna autist.

I SENSE A LOOPHOLE

Honestly if anyone here is into Moon/Toffee the time between now and BATTLE FOR MEWNI is probably the best time to make as much art etc. about it as possible before the premiere changes everything.

Also I wonder if Toffee's supposed to be Moon's age. Like even giving him a different actor in the flashback like Moon has. That'd be weird as hell, I hope not

Don't you realize that once a meme gets going, it slowly gets detached from its origin and obtain its own personality, history and identity.

You know, like a certain...frog.

It's mostly rhyming iambic tetrameter

>i CALL / the DARK / ness UN / to ME
>from DEEP / est DEPTHS / of EARTH / and SEA
>to BLACK / est NIGHT / i PLEDGE / my SOUL
>and CRUSH / my HEART / to SUM / mon FORTH
>a DEATH / ly POWER
>to SEE / my HA / ted FOES / de VOURED

me/sea is just a normal end rhyme, but soul/forth and power/devoured are slant rhymes.

At what point were the merpeople ever implied to be mermaids? You're taking what you're hearing too literally

the chinless face of moon the undaunted

She gave all her chin to Janna

that was the price of her darkest spell

"You know, River? After all those years of war and turmoil, losing my parents, having to tap into dark, eldritch forces to achieve victory against a ruthless foe that nearly exterminated our entire race, and all the logistical problems we had to deal with in rebuilding the kingdom (not to mention the attempted coups), I genuinely believe that our little Star here is going to make everything better for us.

"And if I happen to be wrong, which seems to be happening NON-STOP as of late, well, that might just twist my locks into a bun so tight that it will wring out whatever fleeting remnants of joy I have left! But tut-tut, we must be optimistic."

why the fuck are you staying in Venice beach?

get out jackie this is moon time

you've had your character development rations

Most of us wanted this shit from Gravity Falls, and it kinda disappointed us.

This show's actually going through with it.

>i got like 2 scraps of bread crust and Marco ate most of mine
>please, I'm so hungry...

You will all regret this when turns out S4 is Jackie's time to shine, as she became possessed by the Mermaid Matriarch, who notices the hollow space in her heart after the breakup with Marco.

Don't get too happy, still so many chances for this show to wreck itself

Good thing he's not as crazy as his kid.

They already made one right choice by refraining from promoting Jackie to the new main cast with the others

rebellions are built on hope

Nefcy actually likes her job though, unlike most show creators

"Star, you're the worst decision I ever made."

That was a mistake actually. Taking a known character to replace them with someone who's barely been in three episodes was stupid

>said the starcuck

>Well, mom, then I'm going to be the best worst decision you've ever made

why would Jackie go to Mewni and how would she be useful?

she is barely friends with Star, and probably not friends with her at all now that she literally attempted to steal Jackie's boyfriend. She had no powers or knowledge that could prove useful on Mewni. So why is leaving her behind a mistake again?

>Show for little girls.

>featuring light and darkness drama, romantic disasters, ancient monsters, and someone sayin 'YOUR MOTHER IS A HORSE!'

Are you sure you know what 'little girls show' means?

arguable that the season 1 target demographic was little girls

Because Marco should want to bring her, or she should at least want to try and help, because she's been shown to like the interdimensional stuff before, particularly in Bon Bon. The fight against Ludo and saving star was "the best dance she's ever been to".

In S2E02a
>Did you know that if you cut off a mermaids tail, you can never be queen?
And Star specifically had Tiffany there to cut off her tail, a merperson/mermaid. The reason mermaids as a kingdom are referred to as merpeople is because the later is a gender-non-specific term. Whereas Tiffany (actual mermaid) or Jackie (if the theory is true) are female so they would be both mermaids and merpeople.

All mermaids are merpeople, not all merpeople are mermaids.

So Sup Forums

I mean, Sup Forums's average mindset is Veruca Salt..

I'm not one to praise things before they air but I think it's fine to commend them for stuff like starting S3 right out of the gate with Toffee backstory/motivation stuff and Star apparently actually fighting some goddamn forces of evil for once, not to mention not pussying out of the Mewni setting

This show in particular seems to have a weird fan attitude about it being praised. Got shit on before it aired, got shit early in the first season because everyone thought it'd never have lore, when people praised it in the first season they'd simultaneously have to temper that with pointing out its flaws, now when it's actually legitimately good everyone seems to expect it to totally fail

I mean if it does turn out to be shit then I'd also start bitching about it. Just feels like it's okay to praise shows sometimes, you don't have to keep predicting its doom every time it doesn't fuck up. Or something

Yeah, but then she'll be a villain and we can hate her for a reason.

user they are like freshmen in high school, you saw what the average dance was like, its not very hard to be better than that while still being a lame night

>please, I'm so hungry...

Bitch you're borderline fat for a reason, stop stuffing your face

>I call the darkness unto me
>From deepest depths of earth and sea
>depths of earth and sea
>earth and sea
>earth
>not mewni

I understand that mindset, I really do, but I do not have an optimistic mindset.

I suppose I'm just wary of people saying "oh man this show does lore so good" when it doesn't feel deep lore enough yet.

HIRSSSCHH

The point wasn't that she thought other dances were fun, the point is that she found the fighting fun

Nefcy has said it's all on the same planet, see the Meet & Greet video here It happened when someone asked whether they could travel to Mewni by spaceship.

implying that dirt cant be called earth

same universe* not planet

I don't think I'm particularly optimistic either really (try to go into new episodes as neutral as possible), but right now I like what I've seen and heard about the S3 premiere.

Maybe a better way to put it is that sometimes it feels cyclical when threads get into arguments about how the show could fuck up, long before it actually does. Not that it's a bad thing to speculate; just things like the endless talk about Jackie being removed gets old when we haven't even seen a minute of the new season

no my point is there is a lot of room between being better than any dance she has been to and being fun

So what color lantern is that character becoming?

STARCO IS CUTE AND PERFECT!

CUTE AND PERFECT!

No, she EXPLICITLY says they're on the same planet, skip to 18:50.

It's just different dimensions.

Did we talk about Tyler's post already?

imtylerchen.tumblr.com/post/161107429699/ive-been-directing-on-star-vs-for-season-3-the

I watched that video recently and I think she just fucked up there.

Not checking it right now so this isn't totally accurate, but she says "planet" than a bit later reacts like she fucked up and really meant something more like "universe." Or at least I got that sense the way she later said "the same place" like she couldn't think of the word.

Either way it sort of fits that, just like the characters in the show don't seem to know how their own setting works, neither does the creator apparently.

Sure but I seriously doubt that's what she meant.
It wouldn't fucking make sense for everything to be in the same fucking planet

>tfw River is a good husband and loving father and really just a great guy all around but you can't help but want the possible tragedy of a failed Moonfee backstory

Okay, watched it again and I can kind of hear both interpretations. Like she thinks they're literally separate dimensions, but even though she says "planet" at first I think the way she keeps saying "the same space" is closer to what she meant.

Like they all exist in the same timeline, as opposed to something like the alternate realities. I'm not sure she meant they're literally all different Earths though; more like they're in the same general level of existence but dimensionally separated.

Because there's pretty much no way how, if you can cut to anywhere from anywhere, the other place just happens to be in the same spot on the same planet at the same time as you. There's more travel going on there than that (also places like the Bounce Lounge/underwater kingdoms are obviously physically removed)

The show itself seems to more consistently treat it like a universe, or else 99% of characters are using "universe" incorrectly.

It's on XD so it was never exclusively for little girls to begin with

Mewni is the kingdom, not the planet