Waller is terrible at her job

Has Waller ever been shown to be actually competent at her job? Most missions actually end up FUBAR and turn out to be her attempt to cover up another of her fuck ups, and the blowback is generally far beyond the benefits. She constantly justifies her actions with statements to the tune of "we need to be ready to defend ourselves with means under our control" but she generally creates problems that put the country in jeopardy, either to political blowback or material.

Is Waller meant to be a 'badass' that falls flat, or is her constant failure a deliberate choice to showcase the folly of means justifies ends?

All of DCs big bad guys are built on reputation alone. Darksied has never won a fight. Luthor has never done anything smart. The Joker isn't funny.

She's an antagonist without being a villain in the sense that outside of her books she's the one that creates problems. Also she usually "wins" in that even if the actual good guys save the day she gets something out of it.

But she really did fuck up with Zod.

Didn't she just have the Suicide squad beat the justice league not too long ago? I haven't kept up with rebirth much but I remember that they won.

Just don't say that to their faces

OP they cannot let a outsider show up the heroes. That would be like a normal guy taking down the Joker by shooting him in the legs and knocking him out and sending to arkham. Jim, Batman, and the league would be salty as fuck.

>People on Sup Forums haven't read Ostrander's Suicide Squad

>Darksied has never won a fight.
Against Sups. He conquers nations as a full time job, dickering around Earth is like hobby.
>Luthor has never done anything smart.
Except building financial empire and hundreds of brilliant machines. He outplayed alien nation of invaders in Young Justice. Along with Arsenal, Superboy and governments of few nations.
>The Joker isn't funny.
Hy was once or twice.

It's the job that sucks. The fact that she hasn't been fired, arrested or killed is testament to how good she is at it.

They won out in the end but only because Batman wasn't brainwashed and Cyborg's robobrain wasn't corrupted, so technically, I guess? Yeah

She took out that gang of murderous voodoo zombie drug dealers all by herself.

>fake your death by actually having yourself killed

She's got balls and brains.

They were fighting something else beforehand so they are caught by surprise

This, she has lot of successful missions there

It seems there are two types of Waller

>sadistic evil butch
>totally incompetent and makes dumb decisions that inevitably backfire
OR
>Willing to do ethically questionable things for the good of the country and her people
>very prepared with lots of contingency plans, but the Squad members and their actions usually lead to some unpredictability, so there are fuckups beyond her control

Writers need to choose the latter, because otherwise she's just a generic idiot villain

Well she did manage to find a decent successor for batman.

Didn't Waller manage to secure that Ares armor in JLU's suicide squad ep

What was Waller thinking telling Terry that she attempted to have his parents killed?

No the point of that episode was that she failed because you can't manufacture a Batman, it just happens

Considering the number of skwad missions that could've ended in full-blown international war but didn't, I'd say she does alright

Don't badmouth my waifu.

>you can't manufacture a Batman,
You can if you're Gotham City.

To me she was always the ultimate "politician" in a huge bureaucracy. She's incredibly successful and has never lost because the only thing that matters is her personal empire.

If you've worked in any kind of modern government position you know the ball busting, lets make everybodies job hard as long as they know i did it, hyper-sensitive type, and these days, yeah that tends to mean a minority of one sort or another.

She's gotten at least two of those three, presidential pardon or not.

During my time in the military, at one point I held a similar role to Waller, i.e. identifying and directing operations against key centres of gravity within the insurgency.

Waller is a bad person to lead the whole Task Force X/ ARGUS/etc agencies for multiple reasons. The primary failures are her inability to delegate, her propensity to micro manage at a tactical level, and continual errors of judgement. Rather than directing crisis towards proper agencies she tries to deal with things in house, often in an absurdly inappropriate manner. A lot of issues are caused as a direct result of her actions (blowback) and she seems to forfill pretty much every major position within the higher echelons of whatever agency she operates.

Personally, I think the main reason is because if they wrote SS accurately to how such an agency would operate, then it would involve a lot more paperwork, meetings, and office space, and a lot less flashy action.

>Personally, I think the main reason is because if they wrote SS accurately to how such an agency would operate, then it would involve a lot more paperwork, meetings, and office space, and a lot less flashy action.
Maybe I'm just a weird outlier, but just from my experience with /m/, I've found the actual boardroom politics and whatnot far more interesting than anything shown onscreen in regards to the Gundam shows, so I think if you balance all of that out it could still be a good book. You just have to find the right writer.

Yeah I agree. Looking back, there were some extremely tense, high stakes moments, along with some really fascinating issues going on. Could defiantly make a good story out of it, but I'm not sure if comics would be the medium.

That must have been a really interesting job

Darkseid beat Superman in the finale of JLU. Luthor had to step in with the Anti-Life equation

One run that comprises how much of tue entire series?

I honestly think it was the best job in the world at that time.

Well there's still the DNA thing. I mean she did half the job.

Not really. Provided that they never show the hearing or consequences they can just handwave it.

In real life someone who fucks up as consistently as Waller wouldn't have lasted a week. She continually makes bad calls and fucks people over in ways that could clearly come back to bite her.

Which is one of the reasons I really don't like this season of Arrow. Waller is gone but her replacement does the exact same flavor of stupid shit, but Guggenhiem expects us to actually like her for vague reasons of familiarity.

Batman left his DNA all over town and no one thought to compare it with medical records of anyone else?

she's been dropped by the US senate twice at least, got arrested once after she stormed a Drug Dealer's den, and 'died' according to plan at twice.