Deathstroke Vs. Jesus

>Christopher Priest Writes About DC Comics, Censorship, Sex, Religion And Birth Control

>The next issue of Deathstroke, #20, is unique in that it breaks several longstanding comics taboos against (a) religion (Satanism is fine, can’t talk in any genuine way about God or, heaven forbid, Christ), (b) same-gender relationships (the super-villain is both a follower of Christ, a villain, and gay), and most absurdly (c) women’s feminine health issues (we are not allowed to mention or depict women going through their monthly cycle).

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/05/27/deathstroke-vs-jesus-christopher-priest-writes-dc-comics-censorship-sex-religion-birth-control/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jim_Owsley_-_A_Mighty_Fortress_Is_Our_God.ogg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>comics taboos against (a) religion (Satanism is fine, can’t talk in any genuine way about God or, heaven forbid, Christ)
For real? There have been several comics involving Jesus and God. Like, the stuff with Lucifer and Michael and all them, for example, doesn't fall under this?

>(c) women’s feminine health issues (we are not allowed to mention or depict women going through their monthly cycle).
HOLY MENSTRUATION BATMAN

Priest truly gives no fucks

See, it's not that you're not allowed to talk about a woman's cycle, it's just that no one wants to dwell on a woman's monthly chunky salsa.

Why is Priest so based?

>Next issue, the “Lazarus Contract” epilogue, includes all of the above. I have _no_ idea why I’m not fired.

>I am genuinely impressed with how progressive DC has become. The last time I mentioned a woman’s menstrual cycle was Black Canary #8, circa 1988(?) where I gave Dinah Lance her period. There were meetings and memos and editor Denny O’Neil fretted over the decision and had to get permission. And we could not refer to it directly but obliquely as Dinah’s “bad mood.”

>So, with Deathstroke #20, I am left to presume either DC has become much more progressive, or, nobody noticed. Which means maybe I *am* about to get fired.

>Conservative Christians will likely love and hate next issue at the same time. Our theme is redemption and closure as we wrap up most Year One storylines. But the messaging is imperfect as are the relationships, both of which present complex inquiries into our existence and purpose as well as confronting the question and relevance of God, however each of us see or interpret God.

>I really did expect a phone call telling me they burned the script and I’d have to start over. But, not a word changed and out the door it went.

>For real? There have been several comics involving Jesus and God. Like, the stuff with Lucifer and Michael and all them, for example, doesn't fall under this?
Historically the big 2 weren't keen on anything that night get controversial In their mainstream books so you'd get Neron and Mephisto in their superhero stuff and Lucifer etc in other lines like Vertigo.

Sometimes they dip their toes into religion and show God as Kirby or a Scottie dog.

They talk about "The Presence" but they don't call him God. Mostly because pissing off the Abrahamic religions is a very bad idea commercially.

Jesus doesn't show up at all though.

DC was literally publishing a Judas book too a couple of years ago. It's not as big of a deal, but you probably generally have to be careful with some things.

>I’ve asked DC Comics to send a preview copy to Christianity Today. No word yet on if they’ve done so. But I’d really like comics to take more and greater chances and to expand our audience beyond the traditional market. There are *billions* of dollars– with a “B” –to be made in the evangelical market. It mystifies me as to why neither DC nor Marvel are in it.

>I doubt any Christian bookstore would carry Deathstroke #20, mainly because it questions religion as much as embraces it. With traditional Christian bookstore chains, there’s a certain quantity of Kool-Aid that must be consumed, which misses the mark of Christ’s message by about a mile.

>Great art, great books and great music are typically banned from these chains which insist on a kind of inoffensive rounding off of reality and adherence to an evangelical message. In my experience, questioning my faith has only strengthened it.

>Deathstroke #20 is surely not an evangelical tool, it is just another issue of a comic book about an itinerant murderer. The Christian theme is just that–the theme of this issue, just as gun violence was the theme of #11.

>As with all good writing, the point is not to tell you what to think or even what to do, but to get the conversation started. Deathstroke #20 will most certainly accomplish that.

>Really grateful to DC, seriously, for confounding my expectations of censorship.

Well, he's among other things a literal priest; so he has, like, Divine Authorization and the publisher won't stop him.

>Legendary comic book writer Christopher Priest, currently on Deathstroke for DC and Catalyst Prime for Lion Forge, writes for Bleeding Cool.

>bleedingcool.com/2017/05/27/deathstroke-vs-jesus-christopher-priest-writes-dc-comics-censorship-sex-religion-birth-control/

sorry for the slow posting, had connection problems

I love lil Peeg. She has to know that medically birth control pills are used to treat things and not literally only for birth control, but she can't deal. She's such a kid.

>Mostly because pissing off the Abrahamic religions is a very bad idea commercially.
Is it really though? Other shows and movies have depicted God without being panned or cancelled. Even Supernatural does it, and kind of makes the figures all too human, and still gets away with it.
And I'm fairly certain Jesus has appeared. Even if not, the Phantom Stranger I think was Judas in the New 52 so there's that.

Kek I forgot about this. So he's a priest, a bus driver, and a comic book writer? Anything else?

>I am genuinely impressed with how progressive DC has become.
See, You-know-who, this is how you do progressive.

>pic
D-did that mean Slade hit it?

Man I really hop Priest sticks around in DC. His no-bullshit way of integrating complex issues into comics without sacrificing the quality of storytelling could be the answer to Marvel's rampant, poorly conceived SJWing.

She just said she doesn't do that!!

it clearly says she has ovarian cysts and did nothing lewd

A musician, I think? Or a music producer?

Comic books aren't as widespread though, so they've got to be more careful. Now does that mean people would actually care if DC were to slander religion or something? Maybe not but if you're the editor at DC you've got to take people's reactions into account.

he's doing an Inhumans mini for Marvel

we don't deserve him

> black woman is confounded by the idea of birth control.

I swear one of the books I pull had periods as a minor plot point in an issue some time in the past month, but I can't recall which one. I'm gonna dig through what I've got out and try to find it.

Is it the one that just started last month with Black Bolt in a prison?
I never paid attention to the writers. First issue was good though.

No it doesn't start until August.

I guess I was thinking that if a show like Lucifer (which is based on his Vertigo series) could turn him into a heroic good guy who solves crimes and still have pretty good success, then no one (relatively) would blink an eye at comic book writers messing around with religion in their funny books.
I get what you're saying about needing to take people's reactions into account though.

The world needs more digital reprints of Priest books.

>New Peej is a christ-fag
Huh. Was NOT expecting that.

more like
>Christian girl can't process that birth control pills can be and are used for more than preventing pregnancy

I know. But I'm choosing to ignore that because
>inhumans.

pretty sure in the first issue they showed her singing in a choir

Here we go. Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye has Wild Dog getting a bullet wound patched up with a tampon.

Which is kind of weird given that she's supposed to be one of the smartest people on the planet.
It sort of implies that christians lose the capacity to think critically when their beliefs are concerned.

It think it's more the "only sluts would take this" stigma than her not literally knowing it.

Priest has made it very clear that she's still very much a kid and therefore naive about a lot of things. She might intellectually know that birth control is used for more, but she still unconsciously associates it only with preventing pregnancy because of stigma from her faith and upbringing.

Intelligence=/=Wisdom

NRA member.

>black girl
>one of the smartest people on the planet
>turns out to be an idiot
Priest, you card.

They're not completely unmentioned. Like I remember a joke in Runaways about Nico not needing to cut herself to use her staff because she was on her period.

Actual medical reality tends to get skipped over though outside of pregnancy, so this is a little different in his mind I guess.

It's refreshing that Priest actually writes her as a kid as opposed to the 100 million kid genius over at Marvel who are the "new wave" and act like 30 year olds in 10 year old bodies.

Wait you mean screaming "MENSTRUATION" and "LET'S TALK ABOUT TAMPONS!!!!" randomly every two minutes without it having any bearing on the plot ISN'T the way to start an actual conversation about women's health?
Who woulda thunk!

she's extremely booksmart and very naive and a teenager, I'm glad she's dumb about some stuff and not perfect and better than everyone else like a lot of teen genius characters are written

No, she has POS it just means she has cysts in her ovaries and it fucks with her hormonal balances amd Birth control pills help some cases of POS.

I knew a girl who had that, she was cute but super insecure because POS usually makes girls really hairy since the estrogen they get is less.

They also have irregular and painful periods and tend to put on more weight too if they aren't careful with what they eat.

Priest is a hack and Deathstroke is overrated.

k

A nigger.

Deathstroke quoting scriptures is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in a comic.

Is he going to recruit his entire team by preaching to them?

>implying I'm wrong
He's also a self hating nigger

that's nice

you two are edgier than Tony Daniel's Deathstroke

no, he's going to appeal to them all differently because he's a master manipulator

lure Terra with his dick and Wally with fried chicken, for example

Not an argument.

Now I know you are underage

Nah, birth control isn't actually just used for birth control. It has other medical uses, my sister has to regularly take them for example.

I thought the same thing during the Rebirth announcement but here we are, with Deathstroke being the best rebirth book by far

correct, it was an observation

Wel, he already hit Terra who has younger

This reminds me of that stupid comic collaboration that came around Orlando.

>assault rifle

Kek.

As Catholic Italian, I find Christians in the USA mostly a bunch of nuts.

Priest actually did a gun control issue of Deathstroke though

It's just the ones you'll hear about on TV that act like cults that are fucking insane. Most are normal.

That's because most of them are.

even the "normal" ones... either are very(too much) religious or basically atheist.

Them lot should really learn moderation.

>Go on Christopher Priest's wikipedia page
>An urban Gospel song recorded by Priest in 1985 (then known as Jim Owsley). Although best known for comics writing, he has pursued music and Christian ministry for decades.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jim_Owsley_-_A_Mighty_Fortress_Is_Our_God.ogg

>Priest is an ordained Baptist minister
>In my experience, questioning my faith has only strengthened it.

This gon be good

I can't recall religious references in comics ever being very taboo, particularly in DC where a significant part of its cosmology/lore draws from it.

>Most powerful entity is quite literally Abrahamic God (The Voice/Presence)
>Phantom Stranger implied to be Judas
>Lucifer/Michael making appearances
>The Spectre is an outlet for God's wrath/vengeance, was once an angel that rebelled in Heaven
>Various demons act as villains/antiheroes like Etrigan, Neron or Satanus

Because he works on his craft, and because he holds to basic quality and ethical principles, and is willing to sit out of the industry for fucking YEARS to get a chance to write a good story.

Vertigo is a different weight class. And in Vertigo's case, people literally got arrested for selling their books at one point.

Vertigo has different standards

and in PS and the Spectre's case,
>implying
is the best they'll get

Reminder that Mockingbird and Faith are up for Eisners for best new book against Deathstroke.

>(c) women’s feminine health issues (we are not allowed to mention or depict women going through their monthly cycle).
I guess Priest is not reading Marvel.

Marvel isn't DC

that's just using the word there's not mention or showing of someone actually going through it

but there are exceptions to what he's talking about

But mentioning is actually worse than showing.

Priest was allowed to show Black Canary going through a menstrual cycle, but without mentioning it.

I'm trying to say using a word out of context is different from using it to apply to an actual situation canonically happening

That's just supposed to be a joke. Besides Priest is used to the industry of 15 years ago and publishers since then have matured a lot. Now the main battles behind the scenes are if something is marketable or not as apposed to what kind of boundaries you are supposed to push with your content.

Being smart does not mean you know everything. No matter what, there will be something you don't know because learning never stops

Uh, have you never heard religious conservatives talking abouts their believes on female sexuality? You have classics like "the woman body has an internal mechanism that automatically terminates rape pregnancies."

When it comes to sex, American gung ho Christians are fucking retarded. They will object safe sex education entirely on muh morality grounds even though numbers show only teaching abstinence programs increases teen pregnancies. There's also a lot of higher than thou hypocrisy involved, like whenever a female abstinence on religious grounds advocates are caught being pregnant themselves, it's always "oh, but it's totally different with ME having unprotected sex, I still think abstinence is the way to go when its other people"

>You have classics like "the woman body has an internal mechanism that automatically terminates rape pregnancies."
The USA have religious congressman saying that.

Reminder that Mockingbird mention women going through their monthly cycle. And Priest wants to compete

Reminder that Mockingbird implies that only weak women are raped. And Priest wants to compete.

>There are *billions* of dollars– with a “B” –to be made in the evangelical market. It mystifies me as to why neither DC nor Marvel are in it.

Because no one with a brain would touch anything that panders to those freaks.

Agreed. The last thing the Big Two need is making Chick tracts.

Actual taboos are anti semitism, anti Islam, anti gay and anti government that's why they don't dare break them but they are breaking the other "taboos" every other week what a bunch of cowards

>hate speech is taboo

wew lad
hate speech is hate speech, that's why no one with a brain would present any argument with it

Paktion Comics was pretty firmly anti-government

>anti Islam
>hate speech

>Why is Priest so based?
He's had time to learn who to piss off and who not to. Also as Spider-Man editor he's the man who brought Peter David into the fold (firing Archie Goodwin to do so) when he was still not well known.

As a writer he's one of the last of his generation, who understands the medium for what it's supposed to be and not as a dumbed down screenplay format. His frequent absences have kept him from burning out like most others of his seniority.

He's also ridiculously literate, Shooter drafted him out of the New School for Social Research when he could have gotten a job writing or editing for an actual New York publication because Shooter knew the field needed people like him.

It was a Catholic Italian that started the trend of flooding us with Mexicans.

"Even ___ _____ may quote Scripture."

>a literal priest
Minister, please.

All moderation gets you is muslims driving trucks over your children.

>most absurdly (c) women’s feminine health issues (we are not allowed to mention or depict women going through their monthly cycle)
Mockingbird already did that, though. There is no "taboo" to be broken anymore.

>same-gender relationships
There are a ton of gay relationships in big two comics now, though. There have been going back decades.

just because someone else broke the taboo doesn't mean the taboo is gone

Dude give it up, you lost your job drawing X-Men, move on.

It has to be a book that is actually read.

Yeah, the last page of the issue.