The Incal by Jodorowsky and Moebius

Has anyone read this? It worth a look?

I recently watched 'Jodorowsky's Dune' and at the end he talks about the comics he wrote and I'm curious as to what Sup Forums thinks of his work.

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Before-the-Incal
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Incal
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Final-Incal
youtube.com/watch?v=pX5nBchHjxA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's very famous and I thought it was meh

It's better if you read Before the Incal before The Incal, because otherwise DiFool comes across as utterly insufferable (what he undergoes in BTI explains and vindicates that nastiness).

You can read it and its prequels/sequels here:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Before-the-Incal
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Incal
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Final-Incal

Wow. Thanks!

Son of the Gun > Metabarons > The Incal > Megalex

that's all I've read of Jodo

I personally know him, he is a jackass and a cunt, I had to drive him and his assistant/friend when my college invited him to talk. The guy is loud, he speaks on the phone swapping between French and a very weird Spanish. He literally screams at the fucking phone.

Panel three should make a good reaction face.

I shit you, I piss you

everyone knows he's a jackass, he's just a brilliant one

I prefer the Metabaron books myself, but the Incal series is pretty great.
You can see a hell of a lot of Jodorowsky's Dune concepts appearing across the Humanoids books. Its heartening really that all that work went somewhere.

I would literally pay a couple hundred euro for a reprint of the storyboard tome.

I also became interested in the incal after watching jodorowsky's dune, It seem like the incal has not aged well, maybe its just the translation but I cant read it for more that 3 minutes at a time
Still interested in Moebius

>that panel with the horse people fucking

>Look at this concept art and storyboards that I had nothing to do with. AM I NOT A GENIUS!

He wrote it didn't he? Jodorawky is clearly a prick, but he's still a very, very smart man.

only 2 known copies exist, one is owned by Jodorowsky the other by Michael Seydoux

I guess he did. Although, he supposedly never read Dune and was just really just making the stuff up as he went along.

He is a weird guy.
I remember seeing him naked in my FB feed.

youtube.com/watch?v=pX5nBchHjxA

>ok, at least he's covering his dick with his hands
>spreads his hands

should have expected it

It's got some really cool art (Moebius, duh), but overall I don't understand the hype.

Read The Metabarons instead, it's got the same kind of plot with characters and settings thrown in seemingly at random, but the hilarious edginess makes it more entertaining.

>cool art
Tell that to Marvel
>English version changed Moebius font to standard one

I like how the Metabaron makes even WH40K's powerlevels seem tame by comparison; the Metabaron defeats the armies of an entire galaxy single-handedly mulitple times. Not even with some cop-out flipping of a master switch like an action movie climax might pull - he actually defeats them in combat.

What would they have done, hired Moebius to reletter it in English? Agree with you on the colouring though.

I thought he was doing a bit where he was writing it as if he believed in Paul's godhood.

Original release had Moebius relettering in English and they removed them on "remastered" rerelease

Can someone photoshop this to say "the incel" thank you and god bless

I love this book for how edgy it is and the tits on the cover, but jesus christ is it heresy to think that Beltran's art in the first half is disgusting traced-poser-model garbage? All the characters just stand around like stiff statues, there's no motion to anything.

When he switched to traditional illustration it improved a hundred-fold for me.

who the fuck ruins the colours like that? That seriously takes away one of the storytelling methods! Colouring sets the mood and they completely took away the mood. Panel 4 especially fails to express the mood

>who the fuck ruins the colours like that
Marvel

it was an experiment to use the CG. There were some places were it works but overall I agree. But the hot chick that turned into the goblin wench looked really good, and the old mummified man looked good too.

Side note, I know he looks pretty bad here, but as I said, Before the Incal helps flesh Difool out and explains why exactly he was chosen to go on this insanely important universal adventure.

I really don't think its as important as you seem to put so much weight on that a protaganist be likeable.
I read the Incal series in release order because thats how it was written.

To be fair, the scale of armies depicted in The Metabarons isn't really galactic, since it treats space more or less as a feudal era continent.

Why is DiFool a loli?

>I really don't think its as important as you seem to put so much weight on that a protaganist be likeable.

I'm just saying it fills in what could be perceived as one of the bigger shortcomings of the original is that we don't really learn much about Difool over the course of the original Incal. Over the course of the issues, we learn what the Metabaron's deal is, what Anima's deal is, and even what Kill is all about, but John himself is something of a very loud and whiny mystery. Why this cowardly goon for our protagonist? We never find out. True, this makes him a competent audience surrogate/viewpoint character, but it's exhausting having to return to the seemingly static DiFool.

It's not so much a matter of him being likable, in fact, he's rather hilarious because of what a sleaze he can be, but it's a matter of him being terribly opaque as a narrative being in The and Final.

The prequel, if you choose to read it, helps answer all of it and the fact that it was written by Jodorowsky implies that these were aspects of the character he had intended to be essential to start with. If you read it after The Incal, you'll understand why John is the way he is. If you read it before The Incal, then as you read its sequel (i.e. the first) you'll be a little more forgiving and think 'well of course he's like that. The man's been through enough.'

It's a win-win either way it's read because you'll still get plenty of gorgeous darkly tragicomic weirdness no matter how you go about it.

Bouncer is better than all those.

read that as The Incel and pictured an Elliot Rodgers comic

I'm surprised some facsimile edition of the book didn't come out when the documentary was released.

probably just cost restrictive

The Incal is great but kind of weird, Jodo has a particular writing style (that might be because of the translation) that comes across differently than an American comic.

The Metabarons is what his Dune concepts became, though.

>this coloring
What the fuck is up with Marvel and recoloring non-american releases?
The Akira coloring was fine, but this is just attrocious.

Its one hell of a ride. And anything with Moebius art is worth a look.

what does this have to do with marvel the recolors were by humanoids

>everyone at Marvel is completely inhuman

I read like twenty pages from the library and it was alright but I kept dropping the book and being worried. The artwork is great but I can't be bothered with the plot.

I read it. I'll give you my opinion but I'll tell right off the bat that El Topo is probably my favorite film of all time, top 3 at least, and I own like 600 [local currency]s worth of Moebius.

It's ok. A lot of people will say the plot is meandering, Jodo almost comes off as having some fucking ADD or something with the way the plot bounces all over the place. In truth, I think he just doesn't understand the medium of comics the same way he understands cinema.
If you're going to enjoy this comic it's for themes and ideas, having watched the dune doc you already have some idea of what those might be, except here it's turned up to a million. You can picture him regurgitating all these outlandish fantasies in an orgasmic frenzy and Jean is just sitting there quietly smoking and sketching.

So yea, I can say it's definitely worth a look, certainly for the art, and if for nothing else, just for the novelty of reading the absurd thoughts of an actual insane person.

Humanoids put out that version dummy, Marvel never printed The Incal

the first printing was under a Marvel imprint

you mean the epic comic editions from 1988
I doubt that has digital recoloring user

Yes, everybody know he's a fucking cunt, and his work is hit or miss but goddamnit he has passion

Yes, Humanoids was messing around with digital colouring at the time and released it as a digital exclusive iirc

>read Before the Incal before The Incal

Took me longer than I'm proud of to figure that out.

Metabarons is Old Testament Cyberpunk. It's amazing. It held my attention easier than Incal which I think has unfortunately been spoiled by me having grown up with all of the movies that stole from it.

The guy who did the lettering in the recent Dark Horse Edena collection did a great job