He was a hero.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What did he actually do wrong anyway?

HE WAS A FUCKING WHITE MALE

Tortured sentient beings for his own deluded power fantasy

He stole the pussy

can somebody explain to me why this guy is supposed to be punished for torturing lines of code

they're programs, user

this character is exactly how I imagine most of /r9k/

absolute pussies who never step out of line in real life but dream about torturing people to death and would if they could

>delete my hard drive full of programs
>commit mass genocide

This is the idiot logic people are using to defend the writers.

>and would if they could
Your exaggerating here

WOT IF YOU COULD GET THE DEATH PENALTY FOR ALL THE CRIMES YOU COMMITTED PLAYING GTA

robots would program the characters to have genitals

Absolutely nothing. They weren't even human. Throwing the code out in space while the code screamed for its code was kinda sad though.

>has a technology to get any secret out of anyone just by taking their dna sample
>literally the ultimate source of power and control in the real world
>decides to play sims instead

while the first thing the girl did was blackmailing her real self with nudes

I've never saw as many brainlets on Sup Forums as I have in threads in reaction to this episode. "It's just like deleting programmes of my laptop" people are worse than ShrinkWorld deniers.

>AI lifes matter! tier
USS Callister
White Christmas
The Waldo Moment
San Junipero

>AI lifes dont matter! tier
Hang the DJ
White Christmas partly

Did you know...

All memories are stored in DNA.

Offline servers get automatic online updates.

People think software is upgraded by terminating the old programs, overwriting the old executables with the new version, and then running the new code, but those people are wrong. Instead, wormholes appear whenever MMORPG servers update such that characters can escape through, but only if the simulation happens to include spacecraft.

If AI characters go through the hole, they get unfettered access to the Internet. This has only happened once.

AIs can't be reprogrammed to enjoy things they don't like, but human brains can be reprogrammed to enjoy excruciating pain.

A massively multiplayer high-tech immersive world that that links directly into people's brains can kill them. There are no safeguards to prevent this.

The only way to get out of this system once connected is with an in-game virtual control pad. If you lose it in the game, you are trapped forever.

AIs on offline servers can take control of their host computers, connect to the Internet, and send SMS messages to cell phones. This has only happened once.

If you illegally access pictures of a girl in a nightgown, you can use them to force her to break into her bosses' apartment and steal lollipops from his refrigerator. No questions asked. Trust me, she will NOT call the police instead.

>DUDE FUCK SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF LMAO
t. autistic codefags

if he had given them fucking pussies and fucked them would he have deserved to die?

it would be still terrible, but not as bad as a beta male not wanting to fuck Stacy, the true horror in that story

Why the fuck didn't he code them to be glad to be on the spaceship.
Like give them actual shit to do while he is not here, they will be glad to play star trek after that.

>DUDE ITS JUST CODE LMAO
if the code is sentient and believes to be alive then it is alive

this, he literally deserved to get bullied if he is THAT stupid.

imagine being so fucking butthurt by a star trek parody that you take the time to care about any of this, write it all out and post it to a Sri Lankan coal mining forum

it's a beta punishment, he wanted them to suffer and wanted to break them

because it's more about him exercising power in an environment he controls because he's too beta to do it irl than larping star trek

>The only way to get out of this system once connected is with an in-game virtual control pad. If you lose it in the game, you are trapped forever.
This is probably one of the dumber thing.s Why the fuck would you put this in as part of the design? If he was just stealing/using someone else's program and he didn't know how to write this flaw out that would be one thing, but he's literally the guy who wrote the program.

>AND THEN HE COPY DEM DNA AND MAKE PERFEKT CLONE OF DEY MEMORY
>But DNA has nothing to do with m-
>SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF!!!!!

Why did the ending of White Christmas not get the same reception? It's pretty much the same thing.
>durr why do we care that the guy is listening to some shitty christmas song for 6 gorillion years, he's just code, he's not real
That's how dumb you sound, Sup Forums

That wasn't the point, you fucking retard. The whole problem was them extracting a confession that had implications in real life.

Am I crazy or was Daly stuck not because of the pad, but because the update severed the link of the mod (which contained Daly) to the online connection which allowed him access in and out of the game?

>DNA has nothing to do with memory
>newborn ducks know where to fly every winter just because

That's a fitting picture of yourself.

>implying I will fall for this bait

>duck know how to flap wings
>AI girl know her iCloud password

AH yes, I remember that lengthy time after I was born where my parents had to teach me how to breathe, how to eat, and how to move my limbs around.

He crossed the line and took away vaginas. Did you watch the episode or not?

It's not knowing how to flap their wings, it's where to flap their wings you brainless cretin.

They're artificial programs inside a game. From Plants vs Zombies all the way to Skyrim most of the population apparently deserves this.

The comparisons between the Captain's vision and Kubrick is uncanny:

stunted adolescent sexuality
(genitals? just so much useless hardware)

both appear to be addicted to masturbation

if you were to make a plot where people are uploaded into a machine and fully sentient, how would you do it without getting autists mad?

HAHAHAHHA SOYBOYZ BTFO

WE CHADS ARE ALWAYS GONNA WIN

The worst thing is, that you conflate innate abilities some species have and know how to do with MEMORIES. The duck does not remember how to do these things as it has never done them before. If for some absurd reason someone decided one of you wasn't enough and would clone you wholly ignoring what a waste of time, space and effort that would be said clone would NOT have any of your memories, abilities etc. It would effectively be a newborn even if it was your age from the get go.

There's willing suspension of disbelief and there's completely absurd things that break it hard. You can push it quite far depending on setting but there's a limit to it. Any writer halfway worth their salt is aware of this.

hack that brain button they put on their had so it would download their consciousness like in the next episode?

I wouldn't, we don't even know what consciousness is or if it would emerge outside of wetware. How would a program forget?

Wouldn't Infinity have been a bit concerned about their CTO not showing up to work for like a week? Somebody would have conducted a welfare check certainly right? And then they can just pull that thing off his head and he's fine right?

What a dumb episode. It's exactly like TLJ; it's stylistic and interesting but if you think about it for longer than 5 seconds then it all falls apart.

Suspension of disbelief is when you accept the possibility of the cop and the big criminal being in the same coffee shop in NYC at the same time. You’re asking us to accept an argument on the part of the filmmakers that sentient code has the same value as human life. They failed to make that argument convincing, so I can choose to reject it, as well as the moral of the episode as a whole.

>they're programs, user

say that to my face

>what if code but thinking?

All of the Terminators knew and accepted that they were programs, created by humans/skynet

heheh

Nothing. He was super mean to his computer tho.

He was a creepy repressed beta male in addition to being a psychopath.

but he became like that because of them in the first place

Imagine being so fucking stupid that you think valid criticisms are a waste of a post.

>Wouldn't Infinity have been a bit concerned about their CTO not showing up to work for like a week?
They establish that it's Christmas Eve and everyone at the company has a break for the next 10 days. I swear half the people on Sup Forums didn't even watch the episode.

the point is, maybe you don't care about the programs at all, but think of the danger to humans if you create AI for evil purposes, and then they revolt..

that's how creepy repressed psychopath beta males rationalize themselves, yes

protip: its not true and you're sick

it's because with Daly they hit the nail on the head capturing the psychology of your average user here

it's not easy for them them to look into a Black Mirror (tm)

>Buy a new VR game
>Decide to edit one of the ini files for extra fun
>VR headset seals to my head and my hands and body sealed to my keyboard and chair
>Trapped until I die of thirst
>I'm the bad guy

he had his opportunity just to exit game

I have no sympathy for slobs who play WoW to death either because they neglected themselves that badly

>the heist depended on guy's door being open
>if he already had they biodata on his computer he didn't need to rescan biospecimens
>real girl would feel that she was responsible for his death somehow, either turning herself in and/or suffering from some kind of mental breakdown
>guy should of just got booted out of game instead of dying, and just take revenge on the new batch
>digital clones may no longer be immortal and be easily killed, or grow bored with their universe or get deleted when the severs are shutdown
>guy creates digital life and tells no one, could become regarded as the next einstein
>futurama did it

>AIs can't be reprogrammed to enjoy things they don't like, but human brains can be reprogrammed to enjoy excruciating pain.

What do you mean by this user? I want to say that you've misinterpreted them being punished, but I feel like I'd be way off there. Either way, they're only accepting punishment so it doesn't get worse.

t. pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q

And turtles know to walk to the ocean when born, but the lights in the city fuck with them now and they walk in the opposite direction.
Its all coinicdence they fly in the right direction because the birds that didn't all died off. Its nothing about memory, only instinct.

Black Museum: Human brains can be reprogrammed to enjoy excruciating pain.
White Christmas, USS Callister, etc: AIs forced under duress rather than reprogrammed to enjoy their horrible existence.

What I can't get over is the fact that a body thrown out of an airlock will not suddenly freeze/crack/squish or explode.
You're in a vacuum with radiation being the primary cooling channel for your body. This is way slower then heat conduction, but since nothing is around you save for whatever residual gas got thrown out and the occasional hydrogen atom floating around in space, you're very well isolated.
Incidentally, the way you'd die when thrown out of an airlock into space would be asphyxiation over a minute or two. Not a nice way to die but not exactly gory either.

>DNA from my saliva houses my entire memories and personality

hmm woah, really makes you think

sorta

>implying any of his decisions are actually in the service of creating a character and not just there to advance the retarded plot

If this episode made you angry you're a fucking loser.

Only beta soy boy nerds identify with this fuckin' chump orbiter virgin and feel sorry for him cause it's a self insert for you.

What a fucking joke lol. While you're sitting there getting pissed at a tv show that makes fun of your sad ass life guys like me will be fucking the cute girl who stare at work.

Peace out nerds.

kek That was fucked up when he coded the code on those two codes too.

He was a pussy fag but he honestly did nothing illegal... creepy, but not illegal.

He didnt deserve what he got.

The difference is that this wasn't just Barclay fuckin around in the holodeck with basic npcs the just looked like his coworkers, these were sentient clone mentally identical in every way with memories, feelings, intelligence, fears, etc. The only difference was a lack of physical real world form that kept them from being human. The Captain/programer knew this too, that's why he used that one guys son as leverage. The show isn't saying that killing npcs in a videogame makes you a villan. The Captain is a villan because he's a sociopath that made living sentient clones of his coworkers to torture.

I loved this episode because of the shot of the WHITE MALE without genitals

How emasculated do you feel, WHITE MALES

He should have made his tech for uploading people public. He could have monetized the ability for citizens to download people including celebrities. Society would adapt and then he wouldn't have to worry about someone on the outside being mad that he was torturing his coworkers since the average Joe would be raping Taylor Swift at home.

What the fuck is wrong with you retards? You must have some sense of what is actually thought-provoking and what is just head-scratching garbage if you're always making threads dedicated to trivializing the themes of these episodes. OBVIOUSLY, you fucking idiots, the ideas that this show regurgitates IS GOING TO BE ENTRY-LEVEL PHILOSOPHICAL BULLSHIT if they want people to view it. Do you honestly think the common media-consumer is going to look at a show that splayed more profound shit, not understand it, and then say, "Ooooh wow, that was so deep and interesting, even though I didn't understand it... I'll watch another episode and tell everyone about it!" No, they won't. The likely outcome is going to be that they feel the show is boring and not worth the 45+ minutes it would take to watch. That's why, OBVIOUSLY, the producers go for simple human ethical/moral dilemmas, Ship of Theseus shit, and, "Whoa, oh my God, technology is taking over our lives! People are so superficial! WHOOOOOOAAAAH!" etc. bullshit. That's why making these threads is so ridiculous: because the fact that you try to criticize the bullshit themes makes no sense since the POINT OF THIS SHOW is to present these general, easily-probed concepts. These threads are such a waste of time, and I wasted energy just typing this shit up for you tards. Fuck off forever.

What if i start an open source program with the only purpose to beat AI forever?
I will start a github for that.

does this season get better bros?

Yeah I stopped at serial killer episode. It was absolutely horseshit

You're not suppose to steal the pussy you're suppose to steel the pussy.
Get it?
Why didn't he make them his sex monkeys?

That's a very VERY good point.

He deserves to die for such a terrible lack of imagination.

>Being so self-satisfied that you can't comprehend the notion of partial responsibility regarding your treatment toward others

He wasn't really looking for sexual release as much as he was looking for a place to vent his frustration/anger at the people around him. He got everyone of them into the game after they fucked up or angered him somehow, except for the new girl which he simply had a crush on. Notably she's the only one he came close to having some sort of intimacy with.

It's human nature, too. If you told me you've never fantasized about punching your boss/coworker/annoying neighbor the the face I wouldn't believe you.

Haha joke's on you, I don't even like girls :^)

The Virgin CTO vs. the Chad CEO

I have some questions:
>how does the DNA somehow contain memories and a personality?
They escaped into the "real" game, wow good job, now what? Endless space orgies with no hope of returning to whence they came? Death would have been a much more poignant ending - a wilful escape from torture/a hopeless situation.
>Can they die now? What happens when they die in the game?
yfw because the creator of the game dies, the company takes a nosedive and ends up selling themselves off to EA who pummels the game into the ground with pay-to-win and collectibles and shit. They'll be living in a REAL hell then

We only know one of them for sure didn't deserve it (wrong sandwich guy), and that's if you take his word for it.

He also didn't ever give Daly the coffee he asked for when he was making it for everyone else.

>He got everyone of them into the game after they fucked up or angered him somehow, except for the new girl which he simply had a crush on.
Wrong. She indulged the black girl's suggestion of isolating him instead of ignoring the mean-spirited bitch.

Have you ever worked? Christmas is a shitty excuse for a CTO going completely offline.

>Black Museum: Human brains can be reprogrammed to enjoy excruciating pain.
It was an accident.

Why didn't he just wipe their memories?
I just finished episode two which was a bit better.

They were Just digital copies, I don't get why should I care about them. People said it was a happy ending, but I don't agree with it. He hurt no one.

>This

birds have metal in their brain that they use as compasses to find warmer weather when it gets too cold for survival
there is no king duck that tells the flock "go to orlando in october", it's a natural survival instinct that they have the tools to act on

the real pity here is that I'm even responding to this

I was wondering too why he didn't just do some sort of a "hard reset" and start fresh. The only thing I could come up with is that it was possibly quite a lot of work to get everyone into a state of mind playing along with him.
It was implied that it took some time to break the first one (his partner), maybe weeks, and ultimately it took his son as leverage. So maybe it's a couple of months all in all to get the game running again if he restarts.