I dont hate Riri, I really dont but she's so fucking bland. I cant see her being relevant at all 5 years from now...

I dont hate Riri, I really dont but she's so fucking bland. I cant see her being relevant at all 5 years from now. I hate to give Sup Forums any credibility but she really does only exist to fill a diversity quota.

How the fuck do we fix her?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PMdgr6jC1bU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For one thing, kill Bendis so he'll stop writing.

Give her the rescue armor and make her a z-lister

get rid of Riri and make Rhodey's niece the new Iron Man

There was literally no reason to create her when Lila existed and there was a logical reason she might have teamed up with Tony because her uncle just fucking died

Bring back Tony, make Riri his sidekick. Keep her around long enough as a side-character so she gets passively developed and gets a fanbase before trying to give her a solo again.

>but she's so fucking bland

isn't that like the biggest complaint people have against Miles too?

is it possible these would be decent characters if anyone other than Bendis was writing them?

Not just possible; factual.

Literally this. Have Riri be the Robin to Tony's Batman. I'd like to see Tony come home from saving the world only to be annoyed by Riri acting like an autist fucking with his tech.

Also remove Bendis and give her an actual fucking superhero costume. She literally wears a vaguely female version of the Iron Man armor. I'm sure there are artists out there who can design a cool tech suit for her.

Riri is just a character with squandered potential.

Firstly, I'd say that I don't like Riri mostly because if they wanted a black, female character in the iron family, they could have just gotten Rhodes niece Lila, who already has connections to them and isn't some theiving, well to do college student.

If you want to improve Riri, retcon her stealing supplies. This not only makes her look like a bad person, but also uses stereotypes I'm pretty sure SJWs like Bendis say they try to discourage. Also, don't have her win fights by hacking or by other people doing it for her and then she gets the credit. You can't relate to a character unless there is a meaningful struggle. Finally, do away with the sass. Not only is this yet another stereotype, it's also really fucking tired at this point.

Lila existing and not being used proves that Riri wasn't about diversity but rather Bendis wanting to get credit for diversity

And royalties if she makes it into movies or cartoons.

This is why I hate her.
She's taking up a space Lila could have easily filled. There are more than a couple of examples right now of meh characters being pushed/ put into situations that seem to be fairly obvious that better suited existing characters could occupy.

This thread didn't need to go past the first post really.

You're thinking of DC, Marvel doesn't really pay for usage like that unless Bendis specifically has it written into his contract I guess.

>How the fuck do we fix her?
You don't, she's fucked. She's like 2-3 months from reaching cancellation numbers and she doesn't have a scholastic book deal to fall back on. If Invincible Iron Man doesn't get announced for a renumbering by this Fall then Marvel has officially given up on her.

Kill her off.

It's the same issue as 99% of these teen legacy heroes. She's fucking bland and has zero character or purpose beyond filling a diversity quota.

The problem with Ironheart in particular is that they already had a teenage black girl to use in Lila Rhodes if they wanted one to become an armored member of the Iron Man family. Hell, I think Lila's already worn War Machine/Iron Patriot at least once, hasn't she?

why did no one give a shit about Lila Rhodes existing until Riri was created?

>The problem with Ironheart in particular is that they already had a teenage black girl to use in Lila Rhodes
This is the weirdest fucking part of Riri's existence.

Change her name to Nenene; it's less stupid

>Ironheart

Riri exists because she's a black female. Bendis basically admitted this. There was already a black female close to Iron Man who would have made a lot more sense but she was ignored so Bendis could make a donutsteel

Comic book writers can't write black characters so they should stop trying. No one (as in comic buyers) like black Wally, black power girl or cyborg

Reminder to help control the Iron Man population; have your Riri spayed.

>black power girl
Fuck does she even exist anymore?

She's been in Deathstroke. Gonna become part of his Totally Not Evil Teen Titans team.

No one really gives a shit about Iron Man comics anything. We're just arguing principle here.

Wrong, Priest made Power Girl good and we love her now

I thought it was her when first announced and didn't understand why people were pissed. It seemed really logical and obvious to do something with her after Rhodey was killed.

Bendis is literally fucking insane.

What comic was Lila from? Never even heard of her until after Riri happened.

priest basically fixed and improved and gave black power girl depth in his deathstroke run

he's about to do the same with black wally too

no one read that Iron Patriot book.
shit even the writer has openly said he was phoning that one in.

Iron Patriot, a 5 issue "mini" by Ales Kot and Garry Brown.

Give her actual flaws and she gets called out for it? The last issue I read, it was her whining about how she got an admission at MIT, was invited to join the Champions, praised for her intelligence, and various rewards for existing. It felt so fucking fake. If you want to introduce a new character, you have to make them struggle and go through hell before they can get something resembling happiness.

This.

The problem has more to do with how badly they introduced her and pushed her to be the new Iron Man in such short notice.

The big problem is that it's not exactly bringing anything new to the table and Bendis' actions only unintentionally invite more criticism. He killed off James Rhodes in Civil War II, and Rhodey was a better example of a replacement character story. So he ends up inviting comparisons between his work and O'Neil's. On top of that, making the replacement Iron Man female isn't anything new either. Pepper Potts was Rescue for a while. And then there's also the fact that Ales Kot and Garry Brown introduced Lila Rhodes three years ago AND James Robinson used a version of Lila in Secret Wars Armor Wars, which was only a year before Civil War II and Riri's intro.

Effectively, Bendis ended up creating a redundant character but is trying to push her probably for the reasons and say. And also probably to do a character for his daughter.

No, they still pay for royalties in some cases. Probably not as much as WB/DC does but they do.

There's also how the story requires everyone to ignore Tony Stark's long history of protecting his Iron Man technology by hunting down and destroying anything that was stolen from him, or copied from his designs.

And now some teenager finds the Iron Man blueprints, makes her own suit, and Tony is fine with this, and leaves everything to her.

easily. miles shouldnt be this dull for as long as hes been around. hes a spider lacking standard spider traits. why?

This two.

You can't, her origin story it's stupid and not only on her side, but it also gets Tony stark out of character to make it possible.

What part of literally created as an OC for his two adopted black daughters don't you understand?

bendis hiding behind his kids? shocked.

Change her armor ffs. Miles, Laura, Sam all got a costume switch but this chick is just wearing the shit as Tony was before he died. Start there.

A little Context from wiki:
"Of their three daughters, his oldest, Olivia,[47] is his biological daughter, while he and his wife adopted their two younger daughters, one of whom is African-American, and the other of whom is Ethiopian."

Bendis likes to make OCs. That's it.

Does Bendis have a white savior fetish?

Those girls are going to grow up knowing their comics were shit and complete flops.
Getting adopted by bendis it's the worse thing can happen to a kid.

Bendis has a 47 year old daughter? How old is he?

>Getting adopted by bendis it's the worse thing can happen to a kid.
Remember one of those kids was Ethiopian, though

And I get a sneaking suspicion that black kids don't get adopted much in America

Let an actual woman of color write her... Simple as that...

Half the reason Marvel's attempts at diversity fail is because there's a genuine lack of diversity behind the scenes, so they end up ringing hollow

Having a father and best friend die in a Chicago gang shootout is beyond cliche

How Old is time itself? How old is Cthulu? How old is the universe we currently live in? How Old are you?

>Let an actual woman of color write her... Simple as that...
>Half the reason Marvel's attempts at diversity fail is because there's a genuine lack of diversity behind the scenes, so they end up ringing hollow
They keep hiring shitty writers. A good writer who is a white man can write a better black woman than a black woman who is a shitty writer

America Chavez is a queer latina written by a queer latina and it's fucking garbage. Don't give me this "You can't understand the struggle" bullshit

have you actaully this, ai tony stark(same shit as real tony) is already her mentor.

>Let an actual woman of color write her...
So a Pakistani woman could write Riri better? Just say black woman. We're on fucking Sup Forums.

Anyone or anything drawn by Scott Campbell is blander than vanilla.

As for her character, I can't say anything for or against her because I quit reading Marvel Comics back in 2013.

I can't remember, was this picture too sexy or was she drawn too light skinned?

I remember people getting pissed at this picture.

Bendis is what many would consider a nu-male, someone who hates themselves for actions that they themselves did not commit. His actions are pretty much influenced by whatever is "hip" with the "fellow kids", in which his attempts to look cool often fall flat on their ass.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that he's giving these kids a... chance... hope?.... Who am I fucking kidding all his kids are officially screwed.

Okay I hate Bendis, too, but I don't want him dead. You're giving comic book fans a bad rep.

That awful white man stole a black girl from Africa where she would have been free of straight white male racisms. Why isn't he being attacked for this?

Because he's on the "right" side of history.

the 47 is the wikipedia citation number

they dont give actually give a shit about her, they're just saying her name to one up bendis and this discussion.

if lila rhodes actually did take the iron man title, you would see almost the exact same autistic hatred you see from riri to her.

Honestly though Ethiopian women tend to be insanely hot, the more there are in the western world the better. The accent is adorable too.

I wonder if this is a similar situation to Angelina Jolie who came out and publicly stated that she loves her adopted black daughters more than her biological one.

Except it would be logical progression and have emotional weight, rather than "I stole parts, now I'm Iron Man"

youtube.com/watch?v=PMdgr6jC1bU

Of course we'd be bitching. It's just another hero title held by a white man passed on to someone who isn't one in a transparent attempt to get diversity brownie points which is so fucking weird since you'd think the comics would want more synergy with the movies, not less. It happened to: Captain America, Hulk, Hawkeye, Wolvarine, and Thor.

The point is that Lila made more sense if they were going to specifically replace Tony with a black woman.

The writer of America Chavez its not only bad at writing, but bad at being Puerto Rican.
Puerto Ricans complained about how shit its writing when she speaks it and the stuff it refers.
SJW answer was, Puerto Ricans are racist and don't want diversity on comics.

HILARIOUS.

She said she cried when she adopted the black girls because of their struggle but was emotionally dead when she had her biological daughter. It's really fucked up

>Let an actual woman of color write her

You didn't read World of Wakanda did you?

>Half the reason Marvel's attempts at diversity fail is because there's a genuine lack of diversity behind the scenes, so they end up ringing hollow
Remember when people were upset by Whor so the first issue has her beating up a strawman misogynist instead of, you know, writing a story?

damn, thats gonna come back to bite her in the ass

Well, I can tell her daughter will be perfectly fine in the future, just like Miley Cyrus

[/spoiler] Make her evil

is there a link to this? is america even puerto rican?

America is from a utopian universe called Utopia where there are only women (because men are why bad things happen)

I dunno if Puerto Rico exists there.

HAS ANYONE GOTTEN AROUND TO FINDING THAT FREAKIN SCREENSHOT YET?

THIS times 1000.

Riri will always be shit until she undergoes any type of struggle.

>Tony is dead?
>Riri steals his suits and modifies them
>Superhero community says that she just playing, doesn't give a damn about her
>Marvel public doesn't give a damn about her as she is a theft
>Make Riri work her way to prove that she is worthy of wearing the armor/suit.

She was Teleported there in the comic, adopting some of the mannerisms, some could even say... Appropriate?

Sam Wilson was one of only 2 people other than Steve who's worthy to even THINK about carrying the shield, so I don't have a problem with that one. He's been Steve's sidekick/partner longer than Bucky was, after all.

I just added him for the sake of identifying the trend

i haven't seen a diversity-hire comic book character that had flaws or was otherwise interesting.

You're crazy if you think you'll ever see a black female villain in a Marvel book nowadays.

Until we get a hashtag like #VilliansSoWhite

>Utopia where there are only women

Of fucking course.

You can't.

She's never going to be interesting

Her character was unnecessary and pointless Rhodes's niece was the exact same character/race/sex/skill and was ignored to push this OC who came out of nowhere.

How would you evolve what Bendis has established about her character thus far in order to make her into a character people would actually be interesting in reading about?

>interesting
Interested. Goddammit, brain.

It's almost like Bendis doesn't read comics that aren't his own. Oh wait, he doesn't

Bendis barely even reads his own comics, considering the continuity problems that pop up even within his own runs.

Not in the slightest. Miles has been written by several people and only /one/ person has ever written him remotely decent, and even then it was so radically different it might as well have been another character.

Every other time he's just some background character pointing out the obvious, or a Peter Parker stand in. The character deserves a mercy killing at this point.

>marvel
There's no hope for her. Not even tempting company wars here, just stating a fact.

>black super genius with prior work on armors
>uncle just died
>mentor is in a coma
>perfectly set up to take over
>in limbo because the writer wants to make a copy and turn her into his oc for royalty money

Pretty scummy stuff.

>The character deserves a mercy killing at this point.
A mercy for us, perhaps.

no matter what, at the end of the day, miles still comes home to bendis. get him out of the way and theres chance for change positive or negative. but the constant stagnation? thats all bendis' influence

Do Marvel have any besides Nightshade, Nekra and Frenzy?

This is why Frenzy joined the X-Men, isn't it?

Well that's a fucked up thing to say about your kid