Byrne's Clark Kent is the most handsome Hunk in comics

Prove me wrong.

Also, I would like to see Byrne returning to draw more things. Sadly, he is insane nowadays.

>Sadly, he is insane nowadays.

There was a time when he was sane?

Well, saner than today.

I don't care about his sanity, but his work isn't as good now as it was back then. Too rushed looking? Thick inks, etc. It's a shame because he was great in the 80's.

This may have to do with page rates not being worth the time it used to take him, I don't know.

I heard The Man of Steel sucks. Is this true?

No.

Depending on what you like from Superman pre-COIE.

Morrison, Millar and Waid dislike Byrne's Superman because he made Clark the dominant (the real person) and Superman the fantasy (the character he created to help people). They believe that Clark should be a construct only. They also dislike Lois having the hots for Clark since the beginning.

Neil Gaiman dislikes it because it turned Lex into "Kingpin, but eviler", when he preferred scientist Lex.

I personally agree with Gaiman.

Hahahaha, no.

Morrison walked back those particular sentiments, since Clark's clearly the real person in all of his Superman stories.

Because DC comics including Superman are so lacking in mad scientists.

I wouldn't say that. Action Comics' Clark was pretty much fabricated. He even abandoned the identity for a time.

But he was THE mad scientist.

Hawkworld's Katar Hol is kind of a handsome motherfucker too.

I kinda like where he is more recently, as a combination of the mad scientist and business mogul. It makes sense that he would use his skills in order to become rich while still making all of his own stuff using his wealth as funding.

Superman IS Clark Kent.... it's just Clark Kent took the name Superman, then gave the name "Clark Kent" to his throw-off persona at the Daily Planet. People who know Clark know him as he truly is, people who know "Clark" are those who really don't actually have him deep in their lives.

Lex Luthor OTOH is pretty great as a businessman, but one that built it from scratch as a goddamn scientific genius who only became a mad scientist once he and Superman really began battling each other and he presumably shed a lot of the smug-and-collected persona he put on for the masses as the years went on. Having him go from businessman and even President, to losing Lexcorp, but still managing to live on as Superman's arch via being a - THE - mad scientist seems like a pretty natural character arc for him.

So fucking what? Go grab Ultra-Humanite if you want mad science. At least as a business mogul who still knew science he was interesting for DC.

How are you doing, Gail?

Yes, I think that is perfect, too.

Say that to Millar. He thinks Superman shouldn't even be capable of loving humans romantically.

here, I think this is a much more succinct way of saying what I wanted to re: Lex.

Millar's a hack, though. One of Superman's entire points is he's not born from humanity yet becomes more human than the lot of us.

I'll still torn over the run after all these years, in a vacuum I liked what Byrne did with Supes well enough, but unfortunately it did not exist in a vacuum and the changes made to the character (didn't develop powers until young adulthood, There Shalt Be Only 1 Kryptonian) shit all over decades of salvageable continuity.

Most notably it cast the Legion of Superheroes into a tailspin that the popular comic never recovered from. And as an oldschool Legion fan this sin is one I cannot abide. And not just the damage it did to the LSH but to Supes as well, personally I think the character loses something vital not having grown up as Superboy, not having trained in the 30th century with fellow meta-teens.

I still like the Byrne stories in and of themselves. But they feel very cold and sterile for a Supes series.

Ironically Superman being a young adult when he starts being Superman is one thing I enjoy, even though I agree shitting all over the LoS and killing Supergirl off was idiotic.

I like the idea of Supergirl or Jon Kent filling that void nowadays, although I'm weird and wish Supergirl was closer to Dick's age than Tim's like in pre-Crisis.

Supergirl and Legion suffered big time because of Byrne's Superman.

Funny how Byrne wrote himself into a corner when he made Superman battle against Zod.

Was dicking over LoS and ditching all other Kyrptonians actually his call?
Was it not editorially mandated?

It was he.

DC gave him control over anything related to Superman.

The editor disagree? Well, too bad. Byrne wants to make Kryptonians cold virgins, so be it.

>Thick inks,

He uses a fucking sharpie sometimes. I'm not even joking. Ethan Van Sciver was kicked off of Byrne Robotics like 10 years ago for questioning this method. He explained everything at Geoff Johns old Comic Bloc forum and the entire board was in hysterics over how fucking looney Byrne got because he was told inking commissions and pro work with a sharpie was unprofessional and the reason his work had started to look bad.

Ah.

Well, fuck him then.

Dale Eaglesham draws everyone beefy and handsome.

Like Anka?

>wearing the fucking wing harness to a formal occasion
>overtop his clothes

Well...I guess he's prepared if a villain attacks.

>Most notably it cast the Legion of Superheroes into a tailspin that the popular comic never recovered from

I know you OG LoSH fans hate this, but Waid's run sold pretty damn well. It wasn't untill threeboot legion that the series became damaged. OG, 5YL, and Reboot all are pretty good in different ways. Threeboot while having good ideas just did not jive well and since that iteration they kept trying to fix things.

I fucking LOVE LoSH in most iterations.
LONG LIVE THE LEGION!

Dale at least draws women looking sexy as fuck. Anka draws women like twinks.

I'm curious how old the fans of Silver Age Supes in these Sup Forums threads are.

I grew up with Post-Crisis and Superman: The Animated Series.

I look back now and I see nothing I would want in the golden or silver age versions of these characters. It's always a little baffling to me to see people shit on Byrne's Man of Steel or talk about the stuff that came before it being "salvageable continuity" because...I'm in my 30's and THAT's honestly probably too fucking old for Sup Forums.

I'm 31.

I think a lot of the CONCEPTS of the Silver Age like the villains, Supergirl as his most prominent costumed partner in Metropolis, and Jimmy being a major part of Superman's world as his best pal were and are great.

They just jettsioned so much and then realized when Superman needed a world of supporting characters and cool elements the way Batman had and has to give him stuff to do and a unique niche, they were gone so long they had no clue how to "modernize" them. At least, until today's era of comics, which I think is going hand in hand with how they're shaking things up making Clark a dad.

I'm also someone who enjoys New52 Superman unabashedly standing up for the little guy though, so how to reconcile the Golden Age take-no-shit Supes and the Silver Age wackiness will be a riddle of the ages to me.

>I grew up with Post-Crisis and Superman: The Animated Series.
Superman: TAS had Kara.
Superman: TAS had Kryptonians that weren't machines
Superman: TAS had a charismatic and uber-intelligent Lex

Byrne's Superman didn't have any of those because he went out of his way to avoid it.

Ultimately, I think Byrne did more good than harm, but he wasn't flawless at all.

While I'm not exactly a SAfag specifically I don't think most people are that old. I'm a couple years younger than you and been exposed through storytimes and chronology torrents. It's not hard to backread.

Most of the best parts of silver age Superman to me were carried over into bronze age and eventually adapted into modern stuff anyway. Byrne didn't really have a true lasting effect outside of establishing Clark's modern characterization and businessman Lex.

I think one of the main problems with the Silver Age for most people is that only the really weird stuff tends to be remembered and remarked upon. Like all that Superdickery stuff.

But there are stories that still work really well even then. Maggins' Superman stuff tends to be pretty good, and I like his Luthor a lot. I haven't read a whole lot though, theres a lot of ground to cover, so perhaps someone else can give some more insight.

I'm 27 and The actual "Good" Superman comics and not the kitschy entertaining ones, come in the mid 70's. Stuff like Kryptonite Nevermore and Crisis of the Crimson Kryptonite stand out. The truth is by the Bronze Age Superman was for all intents and purposes already starting to morph into the Post-Crisis Superman. His power levels were calming down and he was a bit more down to Earth. 70's and 80's Superman comics are really fucking fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I still love me some Silver Age stuff.

To be fair, TAS Kara wasn't really related to Clark. Her last name was In-Ze and she was from a failed colony instead of Krypton itself.

And I would argue Post-Crisis Lex was plenty charismatic, and writers after Byrne had him both doing science and running Lexcorp.

See, Post-Crisis Supes isn't Byrne only.

He also wanted to make a cool entrance. And in the end a villain DID attack, so.

That outfit was amazing and he should've kept it.

DC doesn't have THAT many mad scientists, it's kinda light on energy projection heroes and villains too. Those are usually Marvel's thing.

Fidget-Spinner Man!

I like that the S on Superman's chest actually stands for Superman.

I mean, I adore the Christopher Reeves films but that's one of the only little nitpicks I have with them. The "S" always stood for Superman, not hope or the House of El.

They had a shitload who died in that Gods and Monsters DTV, I'm still mad about that

>To be fair, TAS Kara wasn't really related to Clark. Her last name was In-Ze and she was from a failed colony instead of Krypton itself.
And this is specifically because of Byrne. Every time a writer wanted to bring some Kryptonians, they had to invent some bullshit explanation as to why they were not technically Kryptonian. The worst offender being Azzarello's Zod.

>And I would argue Post-Crisis Lex was plenty charismatic, and writers after Byrne had him both doing science and running Lexcorp.
"Afetr Byrne" being the key part here.

He's dressed like Warlord.

I'm confused
what does that even mean
why can't Clark/Superman be the same person, it's the same guy?

Was Byrne the first writer to have Clark go to actual college for journalism, or was that not introduced until Birthright?

Because that seems like an essential addition to me. A lot of the things I hate about pre-Crisis and the Donner movies are just logistical elements that I think make the origin less believable like "He got his powers fresh out of the rocket" and "He walked in off the street and got hired at the Planet with no credentials" and I think it's a shame that such an opening even still exists for guys like Zack Snyder to come in and interpret Clark as someone drifting homeless and without direction in his life way into his 30's.

I thought "Clark stays the last Kryptonian" was an editorial decision?

Anyway, like I said, Post-Crisis isn't only Byrne.

Lois and Clark is my Superman

>Morrison, Millar and Waid dislike Byrne's Superman because he made Clark the dominant (the real person) and Superman the fantasy (the character he created to help people).
Elliot S! Maggin is rolling in his grave. Despite being alive

That's deliberate, they're literally in Warlord's world.

Same way Batman's Bruce Wayne has a foppish side to him for the public. Clark is Superman but Clark has a beta persona he puts on to deflect attention.

We had a thread a couple days ago where someone posted a Maggin quote about it.

His opinion fuckin' contradicts itself.

I always felt Batman was like PTSD developed split personalities kinda thing while Superman was always just trying to do good, that's why Clark went to journalism in the first place and stands up for little guys just because his daddy taught him to
he just wears glasses sometimes to tone down the sexiness, wouldn't want every female trying to fuck him, couldn't get any work done

Clark Kent of Smallville: The kind hearted salt of the Earth farm boy raised by Ma and Pa Kent.

Superman: The larger than life man alien w/ a heart of gold who will inspire countless and save the day.

Clark Kent of Metropolis: The disguise/Alter Ego. Sometimes a mild mannered meek reporter whose a klutz and sometimes Mr. big dick cool guy. In more recent years this Kent has been phased out and Clark just acts like Smallville Kent.

>it's kinda light on energy projection heroes and villains too

That's funny. You're funny.

Mate post crisis was the era that decide Clark should wander around after high school. Pre-crisis Supes was pretty much a life long hero. Pretty much most of Snyders Supes interpretation came from post crisis.

Going by the Double or Nothing Life, his opinion is that Clark is as real as Superman and Superman is as real as Clark. And that not being either of them would fuck with his head.

>I wouldn't say that. Action Comics' Clark was pretty much fabricated. He even abandoned the identity for a time.

At the same time, with All Star Superman, he still had Ma Kent stay alive but got rid of both of them in Action. It's possible he just decided to modify things further because it's a reboot with no connection to the other stuff. Or maybe he was just trying to cockblock Millar's reboot since Millar wanted to have the Kents dead in his own reboot.

>Byrne's Clark Kent is the most handsome Hunk in comics

This is Dick Giordano good inks works, Jr

That didn't answer the question about him going to college.

So the logical interpretation?

I appreciate the reference but I'm pushing fifty.

>inking commissions and pro work with a sharpie
besides being sloppy as fuck shit eventually fades and Higgins never will.

Its the opposite. Batman is the real persona. Bruce Wayne is just a cover. Clark Kent is the real persona and Superman is his identity when he needs to be a Superhero

not even the handsomest superman.

here it is.

There's a difference between pretty handsome and rugged handsome.

Byrne is a retard. He think taking pics with his iPhone is just as good as scanning the art.