So is this really as good as they say? I hear it's amazing, but the plot synopsis doesn't seem like anything new

So is this really as good as they say? I hear it's amazing, but the plot synopsis doesn't seem like anything new.

Also, is the English dub any good?

>gender bender

>watching chinese cartoons

it's body swap not gender bender

Seen it mehhh
Not for me

I Iiked The boy and the beast and Summer wars much more

It's alright.
Good watch, some Miyazaki vibes, not many but it's there.
Few really, really good scenes.
Gorgeous 60fps animation.
Haven't seen with dub.

its bretty good, saw it in the cinema and had a great time, story is a bit basic but the visuals and music are top notch. I'm still waiting to see the anime I actually wanted to see at the cinema which was A Silent Voice

It's heavily overrated
As a flick it's alright, but nowhere near best feature-length anime

Very good visuals, though

summer wars are weaboo shit

Story wasn't bad. I won't say it was good, though. Definitely paced well enough (i.e., the wtf's turn into ah-ha!'s at just the right time), and worth a re-watch.

Visuals were fantastic. I don't know about the dubs, I only watched subbed. Overall I'd watch it once, and if you rate it anything over 2.5/5, watch it again just to see if it makes more sense or gets better for you.

It's made by the same guy

I felt it would have been Kino if Taki swapped with Mizuha to save her from the asteroid, taking her place.

your point being?

Extremely overrated. I think people expect it to be good, so when it was good they hyped it up. But it's only pretty good.

The animation was fantastic. Some really top notch scenes in terms of visual fidelity and smoothness. Was a pleasure to watch.

When a rom flick is hailed for its animation it must be real good..

>Also, is the English dub any good?
How would I know?

The plot synopsis is misleading
yes it is amazing best non-ghibli movie in years, it just hits all the right notes

It's an animated movie. It's like praising any normal film for its direction.

This. Considering she wanted to be a Tokyo boy in her next life.
Would've been kino.

God you're so dumb. What are you even doing here?

It's a terrible movie praised by the retarded and the tasteless. The visuals look good in the most superifical way possible. The purpose of many of its effects exists for the sake of it.

>yes it is amazing best non-ghibli movie in years
Shit taste galore. Imagine believing this.

That'd be super interesting, story of a body-swapped girl in a boy's body who can't swap back because a boy swapped into her body to save her.

Kermode >>>>>> (You)

Pretty meh.

Not sure if it's just in my head, but it seems like everything Japanese that I watch just has really weak characters. The characters in Your Name for example are almost purely generic, with just a couple of personal traits each. Even then, they get abandoned about a quarter of the way through the film because it has too much plot to get through.

Shinkai is known for having cardboard cutouts and generally weak writing, especially dialogue.

A Silent Voice is equally as gorgeous and has a plot a little more grounded in reality. some of the character relationships are a little odd and plot points kind of drop off but i guess thats what happens when you adapt an entire manga series into a single movie.

If you thought these two lacked personality you'll be shocked by his earlier stuff. Your Name was a huge upgrade in this regard.

A Silent Voice convinced me that most anime watchers have the taste of middle-aged women.

I've watched other stuff from him like I implied. His rep is a mystery to me.

It was for the pretty pictures, until this one.

the usual characters are self inserts, your name is a pretty big step up from that and more conventional
animation is really good but it doesn't look better especially with the obnoxious chromatic aberration filter (did yamada think she was making a videogame?)
story and characters are objectively worse too, just a directionless mishmash like the manga

It's good because it's a disaster movie from the perspective of someone who wasn't in the disaster but lost a loved one in a disaster. Seeing the town you remember absolutely destroyed after the fact, finding the name of a loved one and friends in the ledger of causalties, desperately calling out to them in a dream to escape and save themselves before it hits, and the fantasy of changing fate and bringing them back or preventing the disaster.

This resonated with the Japanese because they have a fuckload of disasters and it resonated in the west because western media always has the disaster movie from the perspective of the person in the disaster and just trying to survive. Because we don't usually have disasters and so see it on the news and self insert ourselves into it, wondering how we would survive it. In reality a disaster effects way more people than it kills because of the ripple effect. A person killed has family and friends and hence magnitudes more have their lives changed than are killed.

Add on to this it being visually stunning and being marketed as a bodyswap romcom so surprising the audience and presenting them with way more than they expected and it's not surprising it's renowned so much.

Ghibli movies aren't bad, but they're so blatantly pandering to little girls it fucking hurts. Why is it that the only animes that get critical praise are ones that are pumped full of estrogen, when there are good ones out there that are actually made for boys too?

Low standards was my point. His movies are so incredibly dull. Your name actually has some energy in it, though.

It was rather boring and uneventful, also the movie fucking ends on a title drop
>What is YOUR NAME?

Wind Rises was hardly a girly movie.
Yeah I think that's what makes it work. Actually has real narrative propulsion. His others are basically still life portraits.

also Shoko's character should have been a little bit more fleshed out, all of the other characters just kind of orbit around her as the poor broken deaf girl they need to protect but the story does little to really illustrate any of her interests or motivations.

also what happened when Shoko and her grandmother visited the doctor and gave her some bad news? she only wore one hearing aid after that, i guess it had something to do with the damage Shoya did when they were kids?

>Wind Rises was hardly a girly movie.
Ghibli movies tend to be somewhere between made for girls and gender neutral, and The Wind Rises was the latter. They don't have a single movie that feels like it's specifically made for boys in their entire catalogue.

It's not anime in general, it's the anime that critics choose to shower with critical acclaim in the west that always falls squarely into that category.

>Ghibli movies tend to be somewhere between made for girls and gender neutral
They may have lots of female protagonists but I don't think this restricts their intended scope of appeal to girls.

It's mediocre but beautifully animated. Extremely cliched bullshit story but MUH FEELS ;_;

>Ghibli movies tend to be somewhere between made for girls and gender neutral
most of them are probably made for children or young teens yeah but it's the same way with old disney movies. I think they know animation is a good form to catch young peoples attention, so what's wrong with them designing their films to be viewed by that demographic. if they're trying to make money, they want the family audience like how most movies made in hollywood avoid making rated-r movies

I'll continue and say this is because the experience of childhood is pretty universal, and consciousness of gender differences only really begins to set in after adolescence, which Ghibli works tend to steer clear of. They are led by girls but not about the Experience of Womenhood, if that makes any sense.

Koe no Katachi was so fucking stupid and it honestly felt the only reason the two main characters had for liking each other was that they were both good looking people. Replace the guy with a manlet and the girl with a deaf version of the dyke friend and the whole thing falls apart.

It makes sense to a degree, but while I think you can make good stories that touch a broad audience of children, there are certain things that will be more likely to capture boys than girls. Namely, fights and adventures, which can still be perfectly kiddy in the right context, but that is never really the focus of Ghibli stuff. Instead we get a lot of mellow, magically inclined dramas and even some romances like 'Whisper of the Heart'.

There's nothing wrong with Ghibli, but we have to be honest, they're not trying to give us anything that outdoes the average shonen anime at its own game.

>is the English dub any good

Its called Punchline

Takahata made good movies. That being said, a film being for children doesn't mean it can't be good or even great, no matter how rare it is. Totoro is that one for Miyazaki.

10/10 animation and music, plot and characters are pretty forgettable though

Definitely worth at least one watch

>fights and adventures
You mean Mononoke?

>Gorgeous 60fps animation.
The video is capped at 24 fps and the animation only occasionally goes that high.

Summer Wars is Japanese. It can't be weeb.

>The purpose of many of its effects exists for the sake of it.
As opposed to what? Does every single thing on the screen need some 2deep justification?

There are no self-inserts in anime.

It's not pandering just because you don't like it.

>You mean Mononoke?
It comes the closest of everything Ghibli has done, but the fights aren't really the focus of the story, and even then the protagonist spends half the movie telling the audience how bad the fighting is and how it needs to stop.

Like all war movies, it is anti-war. Anti-war is not anti-masculinity.

I loved it. Sure it was cliche, but it gave me the feels.

Also that ridiculous feminist town where women did all the work

>some 2deep justification
You're an idiot if that's your first thought. You think movement of the camera in movie is willy nilly and isn't meant to convey specific information to service elements within the narrative? Shinkai did this frequently, particularly in his earlier stuff.

It's also a terrible movie.

Why are you now talking about camera movements all of a sudden? And what is the problem with them?

>women did all the work
What's this, a Little Place Called Utopia? Haha. I'm here all week.

>It's not pandering just because you don't like it.
I'm not using pandering as a pejorative. I'm just saying that their target audience clearly isn't boys.

I never said that it was anti-masculinity. I'm just pointing out that I don't think the fighting is really the focus and there's never an instance where any of it is featured against swelling music. Contrast that with Sword of the Stranger, which features a large scale battle without glorifying it but still clearly wants to make the last fight a spectacle to behold.

>Also, is the English dub any good?

if you like english so much, wait for the remake by JJ
>Stacy and Jamal swap
>Stacy is now in Jamals body
>goes to the restroom
>sits
>looks down
>she gasps
>"so its true..."

The initial spectacle of the tentacle monster attacking the town is certainly pretty spectacular.

It is a pejorative term and that's all it is. If you want to say the target audience is something then just say the target audience is something. Ghibli movies don't even target little girls, they target everyone.

>The video is capped at 24 fps and the animation only occasionally goes that high.

there are versions people upscaled to 60fps, it landscape shots look gorgeous in motion but people still look odd moving at the higher frame rates.

I'm not sure what Miyazaki's deal is, but he clearly isn't very fond of masculinity. The closest he ever came to a proper masculine hero was a pig, and even then he was a very genteel, sentimental brand of masculine, like a white knight from a fairy tale.

He's a gentle soul. He's also 190 years old.

Ghibli is a studio composed of people who think they can change how society works with their fucking cartoons (if make more animu for rittre girr they wirr grow up the same as boys) and Miyazaki is literally just the Japanese equivalent of your typical liberal artist moron who lives completely detached from reality (b-b-but he insults greasy otaku! based!)
Ever wonder why ghibli is always praised by those same pretentious western artists/critics while being mostly ignored by actual audiences

traditional children's myths are largely gynocentric.
snow white, sleeping beauty, cinderella etc etc

Best movie I've seen in years.

Ah, an interesting premise ruined by panty shots.

Fairy tales aren't myths. If anything, myths are macho as fuck.
The Iliad, The Odyssey, Beowulf, etc.

>Ghibli
>mostly ignored by actual audiences
They have several movies in the all-time top 10 including #1. They are a cultural institution.

Is good, but not THAT good

>is a studio composed of people who think they can change how society works

That's every film studio, goy

Pantyshots are the premise. Even the name, when read in Japanese, is a pun on pantyshot.

Ghibli doesn't have a monopoly on making anime for little girls, and there isn't anything exceptional about the way female characters are portrayed in their movies.

Sup Forums thinks its good, so that means I don't like it.

Can anyone link me to that piano based song that plays at the really emotional moments? When I look up the music I can only find the songs with vocals

it's worse than moeshit because it's bubblegum pop anime posing as deep anime... it made me actually angry to watch it given all the hype about it. i really really fucking hate this movie.

it's anime, of course it's not good.

>deep anime
not possible

So a movie isn't allowed to have any kind of depth or seriousness to it unless it looks like Angel's Egg?

Then neither is anything else.

Then nothing can be deep.

Art can be. Not anime.

Anime is an artform. If you say it isn't then you are also arguing that drawing, painting and film are not artforms.

Maybe you're too young to remember but when Ghost in the Shell came out there was practically nothing coming out of live film or tv that even remotely came close.

GITS is literally Weeb Blade Runner 15 years late and a dollar short.

What about, say, the character arc of Griffith in Berserk? As fantastical and as edgy as it can get at times, I thought there was a fair amount of depth and insight to it.

they absolutely are myths. fictional stories witj moral lessons

GitS is Japanese and cannot be weeb. It's not the same thing as Blade Runner just because Blade Runner has replicants and GitS has cyborgs which are kinda sorta similar.

Myths aren't 'fictional' in the same way that fairy tales are. People who lived back when they were popular actually believed them.

IF A KEKIME IS TOO POPULAR ITS MOST LIKELY SHIT

>even remotely came close
ROFLMAO. Watch Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

waifu blade runner is so cool.

Terrible pacing. Nonexistent climax. Obvious plot holes (you're telling me these people who use their phones 24/7 never noticed what fucking day it was?). It just sort of ends

>mfw everyone just jerks off over the backgrounds

I think you meant to reply to someone else.

>Nonexistent climax.
>It just sort of ends
Did we watch the same movie?

Absolutely ebin post. r/Sup Forums is gonna love this

The first part is of the movie is more comical with your involving the the main characters dealing with the body swap issue. However there's a plot twist and story shift once the movie reaches the middle and it becomes more dramatic. Seriously go watch it. It's my movie of 2017. There's a reason why this film broke Japanese records

>2017
Came out in 2016 though. Unless you live in some backwater flyover shithole.

yeah, it's tied into the magical/fantasy element

doesnt matter in the slightest. the archetype is more important than the reality