Rocket and Groot

What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this? Is it any good?

Personally, I dislike Scottie Young's style, and this is based off that, so I dislike it. Rocket shouldn't look cartoony like Howard the Duck, he barely looks like a raccoon.
Also, it's a cash in for the MCU. Any material where Groot isn't an arrogant monarch and instead is his shitty hippy personality is trash.

It's pretty good. Lot of fun, but the episodes are a bit too short. Who animated this? Seems like a high-end version of Nerd Corps if it isn't them.

It's fun and cute. My favorite bit is where Groot identifies the real Rocket by being yelled at and still hugs him afterward.

Rocket kinda reminds me of Crypto from Destroy All Humans here.

That was a great game. The first one, anyway. "Brain...empty!"

It's already airing?

I enjoyed the second one as well.

The one for Wii was the best.

Boy, can't wait for all those discounted imitation voice actors and downplayed, lazy animation

What are you talking about? The animation in these shorts is about the best you can hope for shy of a theatrical movie.

>Any material where Groot isn't an arrogant monarch and instead is his shitty hippy personality is trash.
>NOT MUH GROOT

Absolutely pathetic.

Rocket barely looks like a Raccoon in the first place, cartoon rocket is an improvement to hideously realistic mop+raccoon hybrid
>hating on meme groot
old groot is dead, this is as best as it gets.

I can't figure out how they got first 500k for the new ship, did they skip an episode ot what?

>pulling Lanos from GLTAS to maintain status quo.

It just started to get interesting...

It's amusing for what it is -- shorts to play between other shows. Rocket looks a little odd in some shots but otherwise the style is passible.

I would totally watch a full show of Rocket and Groot's solo antics though.

It does look that way. Rocket even says they have "zilch" when they have 500K.

link?

>defending meme groot

Kill yourself, garbage. The original Rocket was realistic.

Rocket changes appearance with every artist. Mignola drew him as a cartoony but fairly realistic raccoon but most artists seem to have no idea what an actual raccoon looks like so they stylize him. I can handle stylization as long as it doesn't go as far as Football Head Rocket.

Also, this isn't Sup Forums. Ease up on "meme" and "kys". We can have actual discussions here, you know.

Mignola didn't do the original Rocket.
And fuck off with the "ease off". Do you know how hard it is to be a Guardians fan in this day and age? The characters are constantly bastardized for money and MCU synergy until that's all new fans know. Just read above how people actually defend meme groot.

>football head rocket
Why do so many artist do this?

Mignola did the pencils for the original 4-issue mini. Not the Marvel Preview stuff, but that sucked anyway.

You sound like the same incredibly angry guy who was holding forth on how movie Rocket sucked because it wasn't exactly like DnA Rocket. You really ought to relax. Yes, Marvel can't seem to make Rocket quite work but we do occasionally get good art OR good writing (just not usually both). The Rocket art toward the end of Bendis's run was actually quite good.

Groot was always a meme you fuckin poser.

Because drawing is HARD.

I have no idea. Doesn't look good, does it?

Oh joy, we get a well drawn gun-maniac who yells "Blam, murdered you" and shouts "flark" to the air.

Wrong. He was able to speak once.

No, he has a point. Groot could talk up until a certain point, after which all we got was "I am Groot".

I'm 99.98% sure that it is literally the same guy.

You take what you can get. They are still throwing darts at the wall to see what will stick. The two current comic iterations of Rocket are both more or less professional thieves, one still in The Life and one trying not to get back into it.

And even Bendis Rocket had the occasional fun moment, like him making fun of Tony's armor or his "Melon popper" cannon.

This was the SINGLE passable page of Bendis' run.

>Wrong. He was able to speak once.

That doesn't make him any less of a meme character, as evidenced by your vehement defense of a glorified side character appearing in a whopping total of 4 issues.

People getting butthurt about Cap being Hydra? That I get, Cap's a legend who's remained mostly consistent for 75 years. But fucking Groot? Give me a break. Nobody gave a fuck about Groot before the DnA Guardians run and the movie. There is nothing of worth that has been "ruined" to merit such a retarded "NOT MUH" reaction. You're either a poser or a hipster but you're an ass either way.

why does the animation look like shit

Pretending you gave a shit about Groot before Guardians is a meme.

Ben and Rocket interactions were the only good thing to come out of that run.

Since when do you get to say who loves a character based on the number of issues? Even Groot through the end of the DnA run was less of a meme than he has become now. The point isn't that he could speak, but his entire personality was different; he was angry and mean. His hippy actual personality, "life loving tree" is absolutely awful.

You can love him after Guardians and still see him ruined by Bendis.

That's not quite right. Rocket and Stark had some good moments too, and the "long body" Rocket look was actually pretty neat. It made him look alien-ish and sorta feral.

Shit, yeah I forgot about Tony.

And when was that oh-so-amazing angry and arrogant personality ever capitalized on? Never. What great stories have been told of it? None. You could replace Conquest Groot with "hippy" Groot and literally nothing would change because despite his ability to talk he still existed solely in that run to be Rocket's friend and sacrifice himself for the team. The exact same shit he still does now. Nobody cares about his personality because his personality has never had any impact on anything, and you're a goddamn liar if you say otherwise.

You are complaining just to complain.

DnA run was great to some people, asshole. Me, for one. If you don't care about the Guardians why are you even on this thread?
I miss the real Groot, who are you to call me a liar about it? I miss having continuity in my comics, too. Because the change in Groot goes beyond his personality: His last Groot miniseries retconned him to never being able to speak properly, meeting Rocket in a prison where he already had lost his speech. This contradicts directly the DnA run. I miss having editors in my comics.

Only watched the movies.

Just keep in mind you comic fags are the minority, and everything else from here on out will pander to me.

Sorry, not sorry.

I love the DNA run too. But I don't carry a torch for a supporting character as utterly devoid of personality as Groot. In fact one of the things Sup Forums bitched about when v2 was ongoing was how redundant it was that the DnA team had three melee tanks and three telepaths because all six of those characters wound up underdeveloped when two would suffice. The only practical difference between Groot and Gamora in the DnA run is that Groot couldn't talk shit to Peter.

And credit where credit is due, James Gunn wound up making the three tanks the center of his team but made them all feel distinct.

I need someone to explain Groot's "original personality" and history because the wiki just turns up stuff I already know and is apparently not comic cannon

I miss having editors who will make people draw Rocket as something like an actual raccoon. I'll give you that. I don't miss arrogant monarch Groot. The interaction and friendship between Rocket and Groot is what is important to 99% of people and the "I am Groot" version works just fine for that. In fact they didn't even start to become buddies until Old Groot blew himself up.

Try reading comics? Would it kill you?

I have very few comics (my town had the only comic book store BTFO'd) and again the only ones I read were recent and followed this "Fake Groot" cannon. I don't know if people are bullshitting me, is the only issue I have here

Groot was originally the "Monarch of planet X" who invaded earth in an oooold "Where Monsters Dwell" comic and was defeated by termites. When he reappeared in Annihilation Conquest he was much the same, a towering asshole who complained whenever someone didn't pay him respect. Then he blew himself up to save the day and came back as a much nicer "I am Groot" twig. Sort of the opposite of what happened in the movies where Nice Groot died and came back as an angry little tree.

Read the Abnett and Lanning run, you fool. That's the only true Guardians.
>comic book store
lol, just pirate.

Oh, so you're a continuity fag. That's cute. You'll grow out of that eventually.

Excuse me for wanting my stories to make inner sense.

>comics aren't a dying industry because of this

I'm trying to be better user

No, he didn't become a meme until DnA ruined his character for a cheap gag.

"Who ARE Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, appearing in theaters May 5th?"

"Well, there's the highly marketable Baby Groot(TM), and Chris Pratt, star of the smash hits Jurassic World and The Lego Movie."

Rocket was so useless in this strip. He ate garbage, got pushed around by humans, had his weapon destroyed the first time he tried to use it on Ronan and then had no idea what button to push to save the day. He was like an even angrier but far dumber version of the movie one.

You kid, but that's the most relevant Spider-Man newspaper has ever been with an mcu tie-in.
Generally they don't get to do a story featuring character from latest movie until months after the fact

i think a day before the movie got released disneyXD did a marathon of all the shorts they were pretty good animation was decent as hell story was alright biggest problem was that each short was like less then a min long so when they showed them back to back it was annoying to watch with the intro

Sadly, a mix-up at the publisher resulted in a picture of John Constantine being printed instead of Star Lord.

It's natural to want it. Then you grow up and realize that expecting it is only setting yourself up for disappointment time and time again. Even the best writers and stories ignore shit that happened previously. It's the finicky nature of comic books, where they tell you the whole thing is a grand continuous tapestry but in reality it's just a bunch of chucklefucks making shit up and stitching it together as they go along. And it's been going along this way longer than you've been alive.

You can't stay a continuityfag in this hobby. Eventually you either relent for the sake of the medium or it breaks you and you get out of the hobby.

Nah, sorry mate, I'll always demand consistency from professionals. Gruenwald knew continuity mattered - Kirby knew - Shooter knew.

They are the minority. But you keep fighting that good fight user.

Apparently an user on here helped these shorts.
I wrote that I wanted this to become a full series and he replied no because apparently they were a huge pain in the ass to make.

I find it so weird how they try to build a franchise around the GOTG and come off with the most basic premises.

Yeah, nobody really does anything whacky or imaginative with the characters. I can't believe both Star-Lord series were so mundane. Although Zdarsky's annual was pretty good.