Why aren't comics and cartoons popular with black people the same way manga and anime are?

Why aren't comics and cartoons popular with black people the same way manga and anime are?

Basically, what does Sup Forums have that we don't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gP4u4I96DVQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC_Comics#.22Judgment_Day.22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

but...they are?

Sup Forums isnt as closely tied to Sup Forums as Sup Forums is

I think it's because anime has more fights

im blaack and dont particularly care for weebshit
dont know what to tell you

Despite being a black guy and loving some anime myself I never really understood why other black guys loved anime as much as they did. I used to hang out with a crew in middle school who would just draw DBZ ripoff comics all the time. The deep and abiding love for anime (and Spongebob) among a lot of black folks is something I'm not sure I'll ever truly get.

There's plenty.

Don't use cosplay as a barometer.

you got it wrong, we love both. go on Facebook you'll see black guys debating the fuck over if superman can beat Saitama.
personally as a black guy I love anime/Manga and comics

to answer this, you must first answer why kung fu shit is so popular among the blacks

It's a result of synergy and cultural overlap between exploitation and kung fu movies.

Black culture is very masculine and the anime that black men are into is very masculine(shounen). DBZ, Naruto, Inyuasha can easily be black power fantasies.

Black people used to love comics. Hell, listen to the Wu Tang. They were cheap, fun entertainment. You also had heaps of cartoons. Spider-Man, the X-Men, Batman, Superman, etc

Then the price of comics leapt up over and over, and we got less Marvel/DC cartoons.

Why aren't comics and cartoons popular with ALL people the same way manga and anime are?

In America comics have shit marketing/distribution and are expensive as fuck. Yurop has a healthier comic scene

Most western cartoons are either for children or crude adult humor stuff, in recent years this as changed thou.

Manga has many things going for it from the cheap price to the quality artwork. On the issue of why diverse people like manga the unrealistic art makes it very easy to identify with the characters( what race is Luffy? some say he looks asian, latino, arab or white) and the success of anime is self explanatory, unfortunately the anime distribution in the west is messy too

Dragonball Z is a metaphor for the black man's struggle

Because kung fu cinema and wuxia was introduced to the west in the same time frame and in the same markets as blaxploitation movies, to the point that you even got guys like Jim Kelly and Kareem Abdul Jabaar fighting Bruce Lee.

If you went into the ghetto in the 70s you'd get those two things as your primary form of entertainment. Often as a double feature.

Look when you're poor and growing up around garbage, both human and literal, wuxia and anime are godsends.

Inuyasha is for girls tho

>what race is Luffy? some say he looks asian, latino, arab or white
According to the author he's Brazilian. Granted that's not a race, but still it's something.

>According to the author he's Brazilian.
>MONKEY D. Luffy

First of all not many black people read much manga, there are those introduced to it through anime but it's still sold in bookstores and specialty hobby stores so it's not something they just stumble onto on their own.

As for anime consider that the genre variety and demographic targeting done there was and still sort of is slightly more flexible than cartoons. Studios don't imagine it just for children, subsequently it can reach more audiences when adapted. They also produces games that while not always flawless or the highest level of their genre are still legitimately entertaining since the Japs already have game devs who know what they're doing, cartoon and comic related games tend to really be sketch because again it's assumed for kids.

None of this is an absolute though since nothing involving people is a linear line, we're talking overlapping set circles. Influences and opportunities. The various means and levels of access and exposure to the various media at various stages of life.

Has the Big Two ever experimented with releasing their comics like a manga?

A "volume" of comics that covers an entire arc in a run that is released every couple months. Small pages and black&white drawings to keep costs down.

Because anime appeals to retards and niggers are fucking stupid.

Wouldn't work. The distribution method is too different and the current model is run by a monopoly. Plus culturally the west isn't set up to support something like manga; there are way less viable news stands nationwide because we're countries of car owners.

I'm pretty sure like 70% of the weebs on the site shitpost on Sup Forums. Anime discussion on Sup Forums is alright by the standards set by Sup Forums. However, some of Sup Forums seems to think Griffith did something wrong.

Cartoons are popular w/ blacks

Comics were literally huge in the black community back in the day, but that's now shifted towards Anime/Manga because it's more easier to get into, to find, etc.

Relevant.

but Griffith was wrong. no one in berserk is truly good or heroic except for skull knight

youtube.com/watch?v=gP4u4I96DVQ
???

Same reason why everyone likes anime more then cartoons.

Far easier to get into and watch/read.

Also usually of much higher quality..

SOPA DE MACACO

As a black guy myself that enjoys anime much more than I do than any comic or cartoon, im not sure exactly why....

But a personal theory of mine is that maybe its the because of the male characters in most shonen anime.
In the west, male characters,especially fathers, are often portrayed as bumbling idiots,total losers, or drawn unattractively. While anime has male figures that possess qualities of strength, courage, and perseverance. They protected the ones they loved and were strong enough not to let anyone push them around, but could also be very kind. These types of things would probably resonate with young black men growing up without any good male role models in their lives which is why I think anime is more popular within the black community.

Sup Forums is crazy racist, what are you on about?

low test animation

do you see how super saiyans are stronger, white and with blue eyes than their dark skinned counterpart?

You are referring mostly to shonen manga/anime, you should read/watch more seinen. You will be surprised how pathetic loser MCs can be found. Josei is a weird genre, but it's one of the more mature genres in Japland (if you take aside fujoshit, yaoi and yuri).

Saiyans canonically have darker skin than humans though.

Black people like kung fu movies
Black people like fantasy
Fantasy + Martial Arts + Cable= 90's Toonami

That's taking the white mans power for your own.

Anime is the final frontier in terms of blacking white females.

They've been successfully cucking white men for years in the west, doing so in Japan also is the dream black people strive for.

What? Also, fucking trips!

the black ships (foreigners) in japanese manga/anime most of the time are portrayed as superior and stronger than their japanese peers. MCs win against them because plot and a lot of dedication.

Kids growing up on the streets identify more with the struggle of life and death. In comics, heroes don't typically face the choice of killing to survive. In anime, killing is common and often seen as justified. The struggle feels more real in that sense.

Sure there are some betas in shonen, but that is only apart of their character development as the series continues and they grow into better characters. Can't say the same for Peter Griffin or Timmy's Dad

Related - what is with black lesbians and K-pop? Like, not just the girl groups, either.

anime/manga has better fights/action.

All the black nerds I know love fighting games and DBZ, crazy fight scenes get them hyped as fuck.

true, but American Dad/Family Guy/Simpson is mostly gag cartoons. There are manga/anime like that: funny, without plot, breaking 4th wall, static characters without development.

The only problem is that merican animation has very few examples of anything else.

Why are you comparing comedy to shounenshit?

Because that's all american animation has to offer...?
lmfao

Not black, but manga usually has a lot more random nudity and uncensored butts and boobs than Western comics.

At least, that's what got my attention when I was a teenager.

Also, say what you will about them, I love the worldbuilding in One Piece and Naruto.

>what are superhero animated series
Can't you wrap your brain that their are different objectives between the two. One using idiots for humor and other to tell basic heroes journey tales to entertain children.

I'm black and I've always been more a comic person. Almost every guy in my family was or is, my uncle had boxes full of comics from the 60s and 70s. My dad was the one who introduced me to Superheroes at a young age, there's a pic in my family that got shown around of him dressed as Batman and me as a baby Robin. The love just grew more intense as I grew up.

The only Japanese stuff I like is Kaiju stuff. I used to watch anime but it was entry level stuff and I only recesntly bought my first manga.

Kaiju stuff is the shit though.

Personally I consider capeshit cartoons far more infantile than most anime. They don't even use real guns in those shows and carry themselves with stupid rules and boyscout morals. That's not going to intrigue most young black males at all.

All america has to offer in terms of animation is either comedies, or capeshit. the rest is just educational baby stuff, so don't get mad at me when I can't find a worthy comparison. Blame the animation industry.

>don't use real guns
>carry boy scout morals

You obviously haven't watched the Spawn animated series

BTAS also got away with the use of guns since their excuse to do it were the guns being outdated.

>Judging a person before their entire story is told

>Personally I consider capeshit cartoons far more infantile than most anime
>my choice of anime is the superior non-infantile shounenshit
Laffin.

>only evidence is cartoons from over 2 decades ago
Try to find more modern examples, then maybe you'll have a point.
Anime reaches a wider audience like blacks simply because there has always been more variety.
There isn't any of that here in the states. It's either comedies or capes.

Judas Contract
Killing Joke

Young Justice had gun usage.

If you wanna move into adventure territory there is Symbionic Titan and Samurai Jack.

>anime reaches a wider audience like blacks simply because there has always been more variety.
If that's the case why are blacks generally only into entry level shounenshit? Something that's also for children.

All of those sucked, and they weren't even popular among white fans, what makes you think blacks would care

Also, Symbonic Titan :
1.was listed as a comedy/action
2.was canceled before it finished its first season

Samurai Jack is a special case, doesn't really prove anything though.

Black people love comics and cartoons, dude.

The lowest level shonen anime is better written and more exciting to watch than anything the west has toe offer, sorry.
Cartoons can't even do fight scenes properly and when they try it looks embarrassingly stupid.

What about Bojack Horseman?

Anime is ONLY popular among blacks if it's mainstream and has fighting. Cartoons are all comedy focused. Blacks don't find "Simpsons style humor" funny.

I was wondering when the anime 'my shit don't stink' fan would show up.

Bojack is an animated sitcom, which ironically isn't even funny....

Everyone likes Japan

I actually know a lot of black people that love Bojack. Myself included.

Cheaper, easier access provided you have internet. Seriously, crack is a cheaper addiction than comic books.

One problem with that is that Shonen Jump and other weekly manga books are printed cheap and aren't colored. They're made so you can toss them in the trash after reading.

The big 2 would need to completely change how they print their books in order to do that, meaning they'd revert back to how they were decades ago, and I'd doubt investors would be willing to do that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke
Because they let us be samurai.
Meanwhile EC wasn't allowed to publish a comic because it dared show a black guy as an astronaut.

>black guy as an astronaut

Which comic was that?

"Judgement Day".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC_Comics#.22Judgment_Day.22

Worth pointing out that Gaines probably made that story up to make himself seem like some "great civil rights crusader". No one has even been able to identify who the alleged censor was, because he probably never existed.

>Sup Forums has two best girls ever created.
>Sup Forums does not.

Seems simple enough to me.

see:

Isn't Yasuke confirmed to be a hoax

Sup Forums is literally one of the most weeb boards on the site and it's really easy to see its overlap with Sup Forums

god, why do people love to speak about shit that they clearly don't know about?

>No one has even been able to identify who the alleged censor was,
Wiki says it was a Judge by the name of Charles Murphy.

Sure, why not. We wuznt kangz

I assume it's a combination of solid fight choreography in things like DBZ and YuYu hakusho and the fact that's it's not all about white people saving the day in the end

>not all about white people saving the day

So Japanese people saving the day?

I just want my very own Woolie.
Is that really too much to ask for?

Still a change of pace.

>DBZ
>not white people saving the day
Come on son.

Japanese people who look pretty white.

This is news to me. As far as I was aware the Italians were making runs all along the silk road from Africa all the way into China and Japan, and that they kept people of all creeds in their convoys.

It's gotta be a hoax because it's a story about a black guy as something vaguely positive.

We need a manga board so badly!

Don't the Arabs like manga, they're black.

>saiyans
>a slave race of violence prone physically superior brutes that are literally called monkeys, and in fact can even turn into apes at night
>white

No. White people get to be Freeza though.

Lmao

you're an idiot if you think blacks like asians any more than any other race

>That shirt

Yeah no shit, he's a prophet.

Beggars can't be choosers

I read the books before watching the show so goku is always gonna be Japanese to me and in the colored art of the manga his skin doesn't lighten

>We need a manga board

it's called Sup Forums

It's not a matter of liking more so much as it is hating less.
Also does yellow fever not count?

Fucking no. It's possible to get some anime discussion in there, but most the normalfags and redditfugees hate anime there, and they take up most the board

no

blacks absolutely do not hate asians less

>goku is always gonna be Japanese to me

Dude isn't even human.

They're darker skinned than the people they are around except for Mr Popo and they were an enslaved race of aliens. Most people interpret blonde hair thing as an additional part of the ki aura, not them actually being blonde haired people. Same thing when his hair goes blue.

If you asked most people what color Gokus hair was, they'd say black.

Correction there are plenty of black people who love comics and cartoons, it's niggas that don't like them. there's a difference between black people and niggas just like there's a difference between white people and rednecks.

I'm black and I like the Simpsons.

Black anime lover here. My favorite anime is Osomatsu-san. I'm for more comedy oriented shows. And magical girl anime. I love Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica.