Is it possible for his powers to be used for good?

Is it possible for his powers to be used for good?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Killgrave_(Earth-616)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_flagrante_delicto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe not "Good", but I'm sure there's a shadowy goverment organization that'd pay him to tell people "Tell the truth" or whatnot. Not to mention turning people into assassins or thieves against their will.

So you could at least find legal work, just probably not very moral work. Or you could be a sort of marriage counselor if you had people sign enough disclaimers.

Yes, the whole hostage situation shows that.
But can anyone be trusted to remain completely heroic with those, that's a whole other matter.

The only good I could see his powers be used for is talking people out of killing others/themselves.

>Used for good
Obviously yes.
>By him
No

He could catch bank robbers in the act and tell them to turn themselves in.
He could approach a corrupt politician or a greedy corporate CEO and tell them to play ball

>tell recovering drug addicts that they no longer want drugs
>help people who want to lose weight, work harder, overcome social anxiety, ect
>instantly diffuse any crime in progress
>force criminals to give testimony
There are lots of positive uses for that power.

>hostage situations
>any kind of interrogation
>any kind of intelligence gathering against criminal or terrorist organizations
there's a shitload of good things he can do

I'm surprised, no whovians have shown up yet.

What's with all the Purple Man/Jessica Jones threads lately?
Stealth corporate hype for information on a new season?
Coincidence?

Yes...?

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Killgrave_(Earth-616)

Don't they say that at least in his case the longer it's been and the further away someone is the weaker his grip?

So if he tells a drug addict they no longer want drugs he either has to stay near them for until they really do kick the habit, or they'll just wait a few hours before their next hit.

Obviously.

>Round up a hundred medical research scientists
>"Cure all the diseases."

He doesn't give the people he controls superpowers, user. You might as well have him tell people to jump over skyscrapers.

They don't need superpowers, they're medical research scientists. They're just not motivated enough to work themselves to death for a month or two straight. You'd get more results through that approach than you would by letting them show up to work eight hours a day balanced with their family life trying to do things of their own volition.

yes,but nobody could stay good forever with those powers.
I wish there was a tv show about someone with those powers and how they corrupt him.Not necessarly killgrave but someone with his powers

By analogy, everyone *could* smash their heads repeatedly on a wall until they die if you just look at the purely physical requirements for doing so, but nobody will without something abnormal influencing their behavior like Killgrave telling them to do that because their are mental factors involved that keep most people from getting anywhere close to doing that on their own.

They already have all the cures. They just don't release them because it's far more profitable to treat the disease than to cure it.

>He could catch bank robbers in the act and tell them to turn themselves in.
>They aren't allowed a trial or the right to defend themselves
>Removing all free will and legal rights

>force criminals to give testimony
Because fuck the fifth amendment, right?

Thank fuck none of you people are actually in any kind of position of power

>criminals shouldn't pay for what they've done
I fear there is something wrong with you.

You're kind of a retard, huh?

There's a difference between "Criminals shouldn't pay for what they've done" and "Let's start forcibly removing basic human rights", which you don't seem to understand

>I have no argument so I'm going to resort to calling him a retard

So you're saying they should have a chance, however slim, to get off scot-free instead of be punished for exactly what they've done?

If they did it and confess, what's the problem? There's a difference between confessing to a crime you didn't commit and confessing t one you did commit.

Mind control is inherently pretty fucked up, but it could be used to achieve good outcomes.

Then it's just a question of "is it worth it?"

On a related note, I never understood in Star Wars how mind control was a Jedi trick. It seems much more like a dark side ability.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."
>nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself

People have a right to defend themselves in a court of law, and a right towards a protection against this kind of coercion. The fact that you seem entirely alright with removing one of the most important civil rights is worrisome. Being tried and punished for your actions is one thing, but using tyrannical methods to force confessions is barbaric

Jedi are shady as fuck. They've just masked it very well.

It's really just one use of the Force.
It isn't a light side power or anything, but Sith tend to overtly manipulate you by taking your family hostage or blowing up your planet instead.

You're the only one who said they don't get a trial, fuckwit.

I've always thought that as more of a befuddlement and misdirection than outright mind control.

Sith can do it too. Also it's probably used by non-darksided force manipulators more often since it allows for a nonviolent resolution to problems. Sith aren't as concerned with keeping the people in their way alive and healthy.

It's not a fucking trial if the defendant is just a puppet who's saying what you tell them to say, you cock-gargling retard
It's a mockery of civil law and ethics

When you arrest people that doesn't mean they don't get a trial user. Not sure what forcing someone to surrender by this method is much worse than brute force.
If they surrender, that doesn't mean they have to admit to guilt.

I can see your point on forciing testimony though.

>a puppet who's saying what you tell them to say
So saying "explain how and why you did x crime" is a puppet even though it would be the truth?
I don't see why you're so ass-blasted about people paying for hat they've done.
There's no lies, no deception, no tricks.
Just the truth.

If you think there's something wrong with that, then you may be beyond hope.

All he did was tell him to turn himself in. He didn't say plead guilty or anything.

>saying what you tell them to say
That (forced testimony) wasn't implied in the original post you replied to either. Like the no trial it's a you thing.
You're really mad about a hypothetical situation about a cape show where you seem to have misunderstood the argument.

Yes, the problem is that power on that level is inevitably going to fuck with you. It's shown he can use his powers for good, but that power is just too corruptive.

>"explain how and why you did x crime"
To be fair that's a bad formulation. If they didn't commit the crime how are they supposed to answer that?

>He could catch bank robbers in the act and tell them to turn themselves in.
>in the act

Well?
I don't think that "catching them in the act" means "forcing them to testify and tell the truth", but maybe you can explain how I'm wrong.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_flagrante_delicto

>No tricks
>Except the part where we hijack their mind and body and tell them to say what we want them to do

>Hi I'd like to turn myself in for doing this crime...Except I'm not pleading guilty.
Retard. "Turning yourself in" is an admission of guilt
And I'll repeat myself, because you've either missed it or willfully ignored it, but I have no problems with criminals paying up for what they've done.
I have a problem with removing all semblance of human rights and coercing a confession out of people. That's just a more streamlined version of putting the screws to someone back in the medieval eras. We already know we did it, so what's wrong with forcing it out of them against their will?
Why are you so ass-blasted about the 5th Amendment rights? You have the right to remain silent.

Did you not see the "Forced to give testimony" part? Jesus fucking christ, either read the fucking reply chain before you jump in like a fucking sperg

Oh, my mistake.
Well they could be mind-controlled into their criminal action too, or he could have stopped them wrongly thinking they were commiting a crime they didn't commit.

Whoops, most of that second reply was intended towards

>tell them to say what we want them to do
The truth?

>Tell them that they no longer have any rights, and are being treated as less than human

>Did you not see the "Forced to give testimony" part
It literally wasn't part of the post you actually answered to.
>read the fucking reply chain
No u.

>"Turning yourself in" is an admission of guilt
No it isn't.
If police researches you, you turn yourself in, it has nothing to fo with being guilty.

Become a hypnotherapist and order people to quit smoking.

That's not how science works. Also, after one week of sleep deprivation and ten hours per day in the lab you can't think straight anymore.

t. fell for the phd meme

>putting those nice people in the tobacco industry out of a job
>making more old people