Mother!

Darren Aronofsky does it again....mother! was the most Gnostic film of 2017 and was quite moving from beginning to end.

>Bardem: Jehovah/Demiurge
>Lawrence: Sophia/Divine Feminine
>Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer: Adam and Eve (2 sons are Cain and Abel)
>Random assholes in the house: humanity
>Creepy old man who sacrificed the baby: Catholicism

What did you think Sup Forums? Do you think the ending is the only answer? Burn it all and start over? Is there hope for the walking shitposters called human beings?

Other urls found in this thread:

forward.com/culture/383304/the-heretical-gnosticism-of-darren-aronofskys-most-daring-film/
vox.com/culture/2017/9/10/16277234/mother-review-aronofsky-lawrence-bardem-tiff
amazon.com/Meditations-Tarot-Journey-Christian-Hermeticism/dp/1585421618/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls
aryanism.net/wp-content/uploads/Adolf-Hitler-The-Ultimate-Avatar-Part-One.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Either way I enjoyed it but also hate it at the same time.

This movie is fucking stupid and jennifer lawrence cannot act to save her life or her baby. It's pretentious at best.
>when art tries to be showier and deeper than it actually is, or when a person self-aggrandizes beyond their actual merit.

I'm not being sarcastic in the least. I'm being absolutely dreadfully serious.

I thought Lawrence did a great job acting. She wasn't supposed to save her baby. Her baby represents Jesus and the ending is the Catholic mass. The masses of idiots who desecrated and invaded their home, who developed a cultish blind following of her husband/god, eating the flesh and blood of the son of god.

Sarcastic user here. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and understood all of the biblical allegories, however, I personally felt that they shit the bed with the ending and ultimately walked out of the theater pissed of because I felt like I had just wasted my time on a movie where it ends where it began. Just a waste of a well done movie imo.

>Her baby represents Jesus and the ending is the Catholic mass. The masses of idiots who desecrated and invaded their home, who developed a cultish blind following of her husband/god, eating the flesh and blood of the son of god.

Like i said it is pretentious garbage.

I think this movie triggered normies because it doesn't coddle you and tell you everything's gonna be OK

I mean seriously...what were people expecting? Another Marvel Capeshit movie? It's Darren Aronofsky for fuck's sake.

>You don't agree with me so you're a triggered normie
Fuck off with that. The movie was fine, I said that already. The ending was shit though. Just because you understood some references to the bible doesn't make you this mastermind and it doesn't make the movie any better. Comparing anything to capeshit will make it look like a masterpiece.

legit shittiest flick of the year

Hey...I wasn't calling you a triggered normie...chill man...was just responding to you.
How so? Do you mind explaining your opinion further?

if you're drawing parallels to Gnosticism you're goofing up harder than Aronofsky did with his religious references. His work is trash.

stop namefagging you fucking loser

Gnostic parallels are in all of his films...Also I didn't just pull this out of my ass, there are a lot of folks who see this:

forward.com/culture/383304/the-heretical-gnosticism-of-darren-aronofskys-most-daring-film/

vox.com/culture/2017/9/10/16277234/mother-review-aronofsky-lawrence-bardem-tiff

Make no doubt, user, this film is just as Gnostic as the Matrix.

It's got my vote for the gar'bage award of that entire year. Absolutely a top contender at least.

What was it you didn't like about the film? I thought it was quite wonderful myself.

There was a review I watched that called it the best on-screen representation of an actual nightmare, and that’s 100% true. It’s a haunting, unnerving movie packed with allegory that just keeps getting more and more fucking insane.

Aronofsky, I don’t remember if I’ve seen anything else of his, but this seems like the work of someone with a singular vision, and someone who’s garnered enough clout to execute that vision exactly as he sees fit. It’s fucking weird, but it’s confidently weird, and that’s what wins me over.

The only movie he ever made that I thought had some redeeming value (aside from cinematography and shit he has nothing to do with) was the Wrestler. And it was just a 6/10 imo.

How he keeps getting big budgets from studios is absurd to me. Darren is the absolute king of "meh".

>Do you think the ending is the only answer? Burn it all and start over?

no you retard that was literally just aronofsky inserting his eastern philosophy fetish into a concept it has absolutely no fucking place being in

The theme is tired, it was just pretension masquerading as something profound. People said that when No Country for Old Men came out, but I was not one of those people, and I loved No Country and understood its complexity.

This was just another anti-Christian circle jerk. I say this as a person who isn't at all religious. It's just so exhausted at this point.

Yes. Good to see someone with more than a few brain cells left on the board tonight.

Did you notice that the house was in the middle of nowhere with no road or path leading up to it?

It WAS a nightmare, since at the end of the film some random woman wakes up and it was all a dream. You can tell it was a nightmare because she calls out to her husband like she's scared.

Aronofsky is a genius of the medium and in time mother! will get its due recognition.

Fuck off Darren.

What's your opinion on Demon Souls, Seeker?

>was the most Gnostic film of 2017
serious question; have you experienced gnosis?

Darren, could you stop shilling your shitty film here, please? Thanks guy

>This was just another anti-Christian circle jerk.
Wrong, user. You're kind of close but you can't see the forest for the trees. I'll try to elaborate on some of the important themes as I saw them:
>The masses are ignorant, headstrong, debased and dangerous.
>The concept of the divine feminine (Sophia) as wise and good, as opposed to the Patriarchal figure of the Demiurge who is selfish and blind to reality.
>The Catholic church's mass as a literal Satanic black mass.

It may be an exhausted message if you watch a lot of similar Gnostic films...but the truth is that no one is DOING anything about it. There's a reason people keep making movies like this. It's time for people to actually CHANGE. It's like the person who is addicted to crack...and they know it's bad. Every day they think to themselves "man, I need to stop smoking crack". That inner monologue won't stop until one day they wake up and ACTUALLY stop smoking crack.

have you encountered the dweller on the threshold?

No, but I can feel myself getting closer and closer as I slowly remove garbage from my life and carefully ponder deep allegory such as this film.

Demon Souls? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Got sauce?

you'll find what you need here amazon.com/Meditations-Tarot-Journey-Christian-Hermeticism/dp/1585421618/

Gnostic Vidya

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

The dweller is a beast

I'm scared that I am meant to encounter my dweller during this cycle. Kind of want to just chill and not go through all of this.

NICE user. Making me want to re-read Zanoni. Yes, I have and it is not pleasant. I can't give specifics without giving out personal information but what I can say is that for the last 10 years or so I have been a seeker after light and have without a doubt had my run-ins with internal strife. I have always had serious carnal issues that I have a hard time gathering up the will to conquer. That's why I am a seeker...for to achieve Gnosis one must conquer self first and foremost.

Thank you very much user...I just grabbed it, looks great. I have loads of books on Tarot but it's very hard to find meaningful ones.

Darren, just read Nietzsche and Schopenhauer and get over yourself. The stories like the Matrix have very primal patterns that go back to our days around the campfire. Poorly veiled representation like what can be seen in Mother! is no substitute for actual depth and creativity, like what can be seen in the Matrix. Movies like the Matrix make some people think with a different perspective, they inspire people in different ways, then the moment passes. Because it's just a story.

There was no depth of Mother! that I didn't grasp, no impenetrable layer of abstract representation that I missed. I've seen it all before, except better.

How many of us are there? Probably not too many I imagine. May the winds be at your back and God have your favor. It's not an easy journey.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

Ah...gotcha. I tend to stay away from video games for the most part. I played the shit out of The Secret World though. This looks quite interesting though, I found a playthrough on YouTube I might check out.

Whether or not you do is up to you. The dweller is all the carnal sin and physical gluttony that you are still attached to in your life. Doing drugs, alcohol, sexual deviancy, that kind of stuff.

There are 108 different paths toward enlightenment and the Christian Scholastic movement of the Middle Ages discovered one such path. A path that involves love. It's a path that a gnostic, such as yourself, may prefer when faced with the question.. "what about everyone else?"

If you are not bothered by the question then you should continue on your own preferred path.

>it was a nightmare
It was pretty clear that within the reality of the film, it was the reincarnation of Earth so all this shit was gonna happen again. I just thought the film’s way of steadily increasing insanity very closely mirrored how nightmares work: quiet flickers of imagery and understanding character interspersed with weird shit that makes you think something’s strange, and if that doesn’t wake you up your brain goes into overdrive compiling all the shit you’ve seen into a cobbled-together narrative.

I hadn’t thought about the path thing though, you’re right there.

I understand where you're coming from, and definitely love The Matrix. I don't think its necessarily fair to compare the two films.

I think mother! explored some more subtle territory in its themes. I especially enjoyed all the little social interactions with the strangers in the house. I think one of the most moving lines was when she shouted:

>THEY WON'T LISTEN!!

I know. I feel like this cycle is a gift to me. I've got money from crypto and I'm intelligent. Even more I've been exposed to the esoteric. Probably the closest chance I'll ever get and yet all I want to do is just smoke weed and gorge myself.

I think the number is dwindling year after year. A high ranking member of an esoteric order once told me "the world is in a decline" and that has really stuck with me ever since. This movie kind of hammered that theme to death too haha.

Have you read Miguel Serrano?

I just thought it was Aronofsky reaching constantly, it seemed desperate and I didn't find very much interesting about this outing. But I'll leave your thread now so you bros can chat, good night Seeker

I totally hear you...I had the exact same problems myself. I finally managed to quit smoking pot and it was the best thing I ever did. God it feels great to dream again.

If you need help quitting weed, this is my advice. Throw everything away, pipes, everything so that you can't get it back. Then, when you start getting antsy like you wanna get high take like a little Ibuprofin or Tylenol or something. To go to sleep at night take Benadryl or something kinda potent like that. Eventually your dreams and energy will return.

Goodnight, thanks for your input.

No actually. Where should I start?

>God it feels great to dream again.
Yea, this is no joke. I don't dream when I'm smoking which is nearly constant at this point.

You've obviously expanded your horizons enough for this to mean something to you. It is quite profound.

aryanism.net/wp-content/uploads/Adolf-Hitler-The-Ultimate-Avatar-Part-One.pdf

>Darren Aronofsky does it again
But he's never done it before.

Works best as a comedy when people keep showing up nonchalantly and slowly fucking shit up.

kek

I've got the pdf downloaded...am reading now. Thanks for the light, user.

I think it was intended this way...as a very dark comedy. The interactions with "normies" in the house is definitely absurd and I had a few chuckles. Especially where it showed the old man lying down...she asks him to leave and he says "I'm just tired, trying to find somewhere to sleep" or something like that.

Every time a new person entered the house I laughed. Or the couple drinking tons of lemonade or having sex after what a remember being a climax. Not to mention the funeral "party" with one couple sneaking upstairs to fuck on the host's bed or the other couple breaking the counter. Shit's honestly just hilarious, it's honestly at David Lynch's level of comedy if it was intentional.

The fucking marketing though

>MOST HORRIFYING FILM OF THE YEAR
>YOU'LL NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU WERE
>BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW

They ran this ad during the trailers for IT ffs. I get it if clowns aren't your thing but don't start insulting other horror movies off the bat. The genre is mostly subjective so no need to start trashing everyone else.

Absolutely it was intentional. To be honest I think it's what triggered normies so hard. On Amazon, this movie has 50% 1 star reviews hahaha. All the comments are like:

"I went with my gf to watch it cuz J Law is hot but we had to leave bc it was scary and wtf"

I'm not gonna lie...I didn't see any of the trailers or commercials. I don't watch TV and I rarely see a movie in theaters. I think that's probably why I enjoyed this film. I hate when marketing gives you a false notion of what something is about.

Then again, I guess they couldn't exactly market it for what it is:

>MOST ANTI CATHOLIC MOVIE OF THE DECADE
>THE WHOLE MOVIE IS JUST A DREAM
>INSTEAD OF ZOMBIES YOU WILL BE FRIGHTENED BY WANDERING DROVES OF NORMIES

Did you notice the Night of the Living Dead shot they did? There's a shot where mother looks out the upstairs window and you see all the fans slowly shuffling up to the house with their smartphones out lit like flashlights. I swear its an homage to Romero. It legit made me kek.

>Did you notice the Night of the Living Dead shot they did?
I used to have nightmares from that scene.

Same. There will always be something special about Romero's first film. So low budget and off the cuff. The night shots look like night shots. No day for night to be found.

We could get into Romero's Zombies as normies too but...that's for another day :D

Anybody got any crazy screen caps from the final 1/3rd of this movie yet?

You ever watch the 9th Gate? It's personally my favorite movie.

didnt like it sorry.
something about showing the graphic death of an infant loses me on watching a movie.

Yes!! I've seen it many many many times. I adore it also...and well understand why Polanski was driven out of LA and America by the likes of Charles Manson and his gang of idiot magicians.

I still don't know HOW the fuck 9th gate got major Hollywood funding. There are close-up shots of actual grimoires haha.

Where are you at? I'm in Chicago.

>showing the graphic death of an infant loses me on watching a movie

I can sympathize with this, actually. However, it's almost like Aronofsky was trying to "shock the monkey" so to speak.

Let's just say I'm in the same time zone as you haha. Chicago, nice. One of my favorite Gnostic podcasters is in Chi-Town. You ever listen to Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio? Miguel Conner?

I haven't but I'll look into it. It's just good to meet a kindred soul.

Agreed. That's why I hang here on Sup Forums. It's one of the last free places on the internet. Godspeed friend. Maybe I'll set up an IRC server sometime to continue the discourse.

somebody should watch it on acid

Nah, this was pretentious shit.
Aronofsky has no idea of how to be subtle, take evangelion for example. Subtle as fuck.

I was quite surprised that Paramount financed it. It was quite good but very unsubtle it was like he wanted everybody to get that it was a metaphor. The last act of the movie was like Aronofosky explaining it to everyone.

It certainly was not subtle in its primary themes but I still think the themes were investigated in an interesting way.

If there's one thing that's for sure, he pissed off pretty much everybody. It's a good thing. It had the subtlety of a hammer to the face. He literally forced and wedged his philosophy into the audience and the imagery will never leave them, no matter what they thought of the movie. It's quite brilliant in that regard.

At what point did you realize Aronofsky was a hack, Sup Forums? For me it was Black Swan.

he's only a hack if he writes

I'm not sure this is so true. He wrote Pi after all...which red pilled me at a very young age about sacred geometry, numerology and spooky sects of kabbalistic jews.

Requim for a dream sucked ass. Just a untruthful depressing shitfest i wish i could unsee.

Well it is about the death of the American dream after all.

Who even are you guys?

Atleast JLaw showed tits, so that's good.