Marvel Hate Thread

Does anyone else fucking hate the MCU?

Literally the whole appeal is that the characters have cool designs/powers, but zero personality beyond wanting to save people, and throwing out quips. The most in depth, well developed characters (iron man and captain America) just say slightly unique quips.

>but movies are meant to be fun

I get it, but we're like 20 movies in and they've followed the exact same formula each time. With the exception of guardians 2, none have strong themes, and they're all just filler/building up to the avengers movies which are nothing but excuses to have our heroes fight each other. They're not funny, they're churned out in a fucking factory to be as blandly likeable as possible.

Even the action sucks. It rarely has any stakes (considering the next hundred movies are announced in advance), and the cgi and shit has very little felt impact if at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tnneckDUG28
youtube.com/watch?v=oj8JK6c5x3M
youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM&t=639s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cap probably lynched niggers before WWII started

ITT: i hate fun

Fun isn't just something a movie can be because it's light hearted, tells jokes, and has action

Yeah Marvel hasn't been fun since the X-Men were breaking ground.

It was fun, and I liked them, but when every single movie is the same, it gets boring

I sure as hell hate that shitty art, please tell me this is not from an actual Marvel comic ?

Nah. Each hero and most side characters are quite well developed, with understandable motivations. There's also a fair bit of character development from movie to movie. Some of the villains fall flat, but others can be quite good.

>even the action sucks
Yeah nah go fuck yourself.
youtube.com/watch?v=tnneckDUG28

That's funny because Logan was fucking kino, and now the mouse is gonna make shitty x men movies from now on.

Fun =/= Good

Why don't people understand this?
If the movie isn't good then why should we enjoy it? We have no reason to.

>I'm just gonna give zero specifics and say "nah it's good I swear!"
>gives one example of sub-par action to make up for man of steel level boring action in most of the movies

Synopsis of your post:
>here's my opinion
>if you don't like it then you're wrong go fuck yourself

Well enjoying a movie means it's good to you, I think it's just that lots of people have low standards of what fun means to them so they can't distinguish between incredibly well directed action (like in cowboy bebop) and poorly directed action (like in age of ultron)

Marvel is weird. Maybe you don't know or don't even care but Iron Man while a significant character in Marvel comics as not "popular". LIKE ANT-MAN, which so many people gave shit about being a nobody.And to me That's when Marvel movies have been the best. First IM, Ant-Man, GotG, the movies where Marvel is kind of testing the waters. They do a really good job, the first Thor in my opinion wasn't bad at all. It's the sequels (WS being the exception) that fall into really safe/formulaic boring territory. Because they found out it can work and now they just want to funnel it into the Avengers franchise and that kind of means for some reason that it can't deviate so far that appearing in the Avengers movies would be a major tonal shit in character so they dial them back into a certain level of action and comedy that "meshes" with the whole brand.

I think guardians definitelty is better than everything else marvel has made, mainly because it's not a superhero franchise. I don't think ant man tested the waters at all. It's the exact same as spider man homecoming. So trash.

Boring, bland, soulless movies aren't fun.

So fucking sick of all of these movies

>mainly because it's not a superhero franchise
Well there in lies your bias thus making this thread redundant.

I mean that they couldn't rehash their generic plot ideas they use in every other movie. It was inherently a team based film, so they just had a lot more unique shit to do

>marvel movies are so bad they hospitalise every child that watches them
WEW

he was a nerdy twink from brooklyn so i doubt

>valkyrie was black
Was this choice made literally to pander to the libshits?
Was there no white actress good enough to play the role?

MCU > them other super hero movies. Dark Knight fanboys are only nostalgic. MCU “subpar” action sequences > Nolan trilogy “superb cinemur durr truck flip I jizz” action. You fucken hipsters try too hard man.

spidershit was awful.

Then the same could be said for the Avengers movies. Considering the first one was the quintessential team movie, and the second one doesn't was the team having an existential crisis.
All the characters have been in more than one movie had an ever flowing arc, even the ones that don't have their name on the title. It's be disengeous to imply any one character is like the other in terms of personality.

I don't understand how someone can hate marvel. they're so safe and middle of the road its impossible for me to feel anything about them.

MCU is currently better than Star Wars, Tom Waits, Nine Inch Nails, and Will Ferrell, 100 percent.

Yeah but avengers was like one big action scene. There was little to no character development whatsoever.

No one likes you in real life
You're a burden on your family and friends
It would be easier on everyone if you just left, somehow. It doesn't have to be suicide, as long as they aren't dealing with your baggage anymore.

somone put the stars of david on this

Learn to take a joke, sperg. I thought you retards loved inappropriately placed humor.

MCU is Chad of cinema history. You can hate on Genghis Khan for doing a couple shitty things but that nigga DNA is in almost every other person and he single handedly altered the course of history. Other franchises (empires) hold no candle. Fox just handed over the XMen it’s done. Your resistance is futile. MCU achieved victory the instant Iron Man hit theaters my dude.

She was good in the movie
Also, Asgard conquered eight other realms that are canonically diverse, and many of them came back to live in Asgard the way real Vikings brought German, Russian, and Irish people back with them. Hence, black Heimdall and black Valkyrie.

well said

Where is the meme of the guy crying with the Marvel shirt?

Agreed. The characters don't act like real people so I don't care what happens to them. They exist only as vehicles for unfunny jokes and boring action set pieces.

Snyder DC > Raimi Spider-man > Nolan DC > Other DC > MCU

Iron Man was more like the denouement of the horse archer, using the Mongol metaphor. Avengers was invading China and killing millions, Civil War was sacking the Khawarezmid Empire (because it forced DC to do a rush job VS movie that flopped), Guardians was fucking up the Russians and Eastern Europeans, and Infinity War will be like sacking Baghdad.

So far, almost no failures. Marvel TV is like the attempted invasion of Japan though lol

Iron Man 3 is 10 times better than Man herp derp Steel
Captain America Civil War is 100 times better than Batman herp derp Superman

If this were pre-Civil War movie I’d somewhat agree with your order but
Snyder DC is trash man, get some help.

i just wish we didn't have to lose the comics to make it happen

It's 2:45am on my birthday and I'm drinking scotch and arguing about capeshit. I feel like I may kill myself, but before I do just know that this post is wrong and you are wrong.

They're both fucking spectacles, yeah, sure of course. But every character left the first Avengers with a completed arc other than maybe Hawkeye in the first one and every solo movie after that continued those newer perspectives and again after Age of Ultron where the overarching theme was 'what do we do when this ends' each came up with their own answers that then fed directly into Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok.

Don't hate it, but the more heroes they add, the less sense the universe makes.

Shitty overused Sup Forums memes > unironic use of 2010 rage comic memes

>HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE MARVEL MOVIES THESE ACTORS GO TO HOSPITALS AND SEE LITTLE KIDS THEREFORE YOUR CRITICISM IS WRONG

smacks lips profusely

Having an arc doesn't make a character interesting or deep

When did jews forget how to make decent posters?

It's not that the MCU movies are incompetently made, it's not that they're all bad, it's not that even the worst ones don't have some enjoyable aspects. It's that they're seriously damaging and limiting people's perception of what capeshit and by extension modern blockbuster cinema could and should be. Marvel Studios approach to film making is devastating the idea of distinct directorial style in all but the most trivial ways. Their approach to their own characters is robbing superheroes of their power as symbols and myths and reducing them to sitcom characters. Their steady stream of 6/10s is, in conjunction with the equally damaging Rotten Tomatoes system, is training audiences to think that an unremarkable film is better than a controversial one. Ultimately the root of this problem goes beyond Marvel itself and back to Disney, you can see the same thing happening to all the other properties they own. Now compare this to DC and X-Men, who's lows are worse than any MCU movie. Why? Because they have further to fall. Because they actually aim high, and their best are the best of the genre and in some cases even transcend it.

Those are subjective qualities and I won't entertain them because I don't know you nor care what you think.

Having an arc means they had character development, which was the argument.

This is a picture from Stan Lee’s "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way". Look at it and ask yourself how would the equivalent "How To Makes Movies the Marvel Way" could look like.

Then ask yourself where the current Kevin Feige-produced MCU titles would be, on the left or on the right? Do they offer visual dynamism, creative and exciting use of the medium's possibilities in order to heighten the experience? Personally, when I look at this picture, I can see exciting formalists and pop artists like Orson Welles, Seijun Suzuki or Sergio Leone belonging on the right, or even to stay strictly in the field of current blockbuster filmmakers, people like George Miller, the Wachowski Sisters or Brad Bird but certainly not Peyton Reed, Whedon or Russos, with their flat, uninspired televisual (lack of) style.

All the great Marvel artists would absolutely agree that the MCU is a bland, soulless sham.

Is that what you did?

If I was hospitalized I'd ask to see a marvel movie just so it can put me out my misery

>Raimi's Spider-Man

What does it mean to be a hero? What does it mean to be a man? How can you differentiate between right or wrong?

>MCU Spider-Man

WOAH AVENGERS! WOAH TONY STARK SO COOL! WOAH NIGGER MJ TALKING ABOUT WHITE PRIVILEGIE

It's a formula that makes capeshit work for people who don't give a fuck about capeshit otherwise. If you love it, but go into the movies expecting love letters to every bit of comic minutiae and history, fuck off and go watch some of DC's animated movies instead.
That said, I love iron man, but I can't stand how fucking every little thing in the MCU comes back to him. Downey needs to pick up a coke habit again so the part gets suspended and they can write with something else in mind.

This. All the marvel movies are just average, bland, and inoffensive. That's what you get from a "good" marvel flick

I'm going to dump some Marvel stills with particular dynamism. See if you can figure out why these are commercial and critical successes and why you might actually have something to learn.

>Their steady stream of 6/10s is, in conjunction with the equally damaging Rotten Tomatoes system, is training audiences to think that an unremarkable film is better than a controversial one
You know this is true when Marvel's own actors think this:

youtube.com/watch?v=oj8JK6c5x3M

Even they know what they do is cancer and is ultimately ruining film.

you're not offended by how cookie cutter they are? expecting you watch 3 capeshits per year. it's sickening. it's worse than sickening. stop being a cuck.

>this pass loser who just keeps posting pictures as if they prove a subjective medium has an objective view.

I feel like DC fanboys forget that Dark Knight Rises was trash and the Raimi Spider-Man nostalgic types forget about SpiderMan 3, and that X-Men Apocalypse is poopoo. Meanwhile MCU is the objectively superior franchise to binge watch and enjoy, but also not take itself too seriously so when it gets corny you can roll with the punches.

Look at the visual dynamism portrayed here by Favreau and compare it to the post-Disney look. The modern Marvel is so lazy and so unimaginative, it stands as polar opposite to the pillars of the genre. And it's not even Disney themselves since these new Star Wars movies look pretty good. It's something to do with Marvel Studios' own rotten ways of making films. It goes up to Kevin Feige and his relentless campaign against directorial freedom.

Modern MCU directors aren't authors of particular note. They're simply TV show people who are hired to abide the bidding of Feige.

>Good action
>CUT CUT CUT CUT
>BING BING WAHOOO

Your opinion is bad.

You were saying?

This here is the perfect example on the TV show mentality that plagues the MCU. Look. We see here three legendary heroes facing off. Yet the framing, the lightning and costumes would tell you this is just a lazy cosplay shoot. Compare that to Snyder's portrayal of Batman facing off against Superman where the imagery does proper justice to its superheroes.

Where is the visual power of the comics, MCU?

That image does nothing but prove my point. The lightning is flat. The sets look extremely constricted. The CGI comes off as corny. There is no salvaging this universe. They should reboot and throw Feige out and instead bring on an age of director-driven superhero films again.

Because they're popular

>Snyder
You were doing fine until that point

>Iron Man 3 is 10 times better than Man herp derp Steel
>Captain America Civil War is 100 times better than Batman herp derp Superman
people this retarded and brainwashed actually exist huh. back to 9gag, you're pathetic even for this board

Too bad Snyder is mister stylish no substance. He’s good at making cool looking shots etc. but I don’t give a shit about his shallow ass characters. Some would argue MCU folks have no personality but, I think their personalities all stand out and the TV show formula works for them. I mean, we ARE adopting comic book superheroes here which are very TV showy in nature if that makes sense.

>Well enjoying a movie means it's good to you
No, it only means it's fun.

but hes right. those films, despite the scripts, are shot properly because theyre designed as films. the marvel films are shot for efficiency.

Feige is doing something no other producer has accomplished - made a shared universe of films spanning ten years and twenty-odd movies that are also a single work. DC and the Monster universe have tried to follow in their footsteps without success, while X-Men gave up trying to perfect the formula and franchises like the Dark Universe were dead on arrival, so the detractors have shifted their tone to a new strategy - saying that it's "a relentless campaign against directorial freedom" to hire people with a sense of the larger oeuvre.

Someone (maybe you) criticized MCU for not exploring space and contrast the way auteur filmmakers and classic comic book writers did, and I responded with a half-dozen examples of kino from the first movie all the way to the most recent. I'll finish off with my personal favorite comparison, one that I'm sure any real Welles fan would appreciate.

>Well enjoying a movie means it's good to you
Nigga you fucking dumb. There' a shitload of crappy movies I enjoy, but I think they're steaming pieces of shit.

Why isn't Snyder just a DP for competent directors?

those 2 shots are not even close. was this made ironically?

If you're going to argue that Snyder's visuals aren't ideal for this type of films, then feel free to make a proper argument instead of expecting online mob mentality to carry you.

Fact is, MCU looks like indie garage filmmaking compared to Snyder's materials. It's frankly embarrassing how Marvel can spend $200m and end up with a film that has zero visual power. The worst part? We could've experienced an era of geniunely great superhero films if ONLY Feige was actually not being a bitch and allowed competent directors to make the films they wanted. Now the MCU is a director plague and the only ones that want to make MCU movies are people with zero credentials. And this is what Feige wants too. Easy people he can toy around. Ridley Scott mentioned this just recently being a Disney phenomenon.

Or you can simply look at this picture and see how flat Marvel ends despite mimicking the Snyder visuals.

Why won't ever a studio hire some good writer or "story assistant" to babysit Snyder while he's doing his slo mo shots to ensure that it makes sense?

Snyder is a true visual storyteller. People who complain about lack of substance aren't using their eyes to look. They've grown to accustomed to the TV-style exposition.

youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM&t=639s

Snyder's films absolutely carry a substance conveyed through its visuals.

they did with Terrio but he over researched and fell for Snyder's meme looking at greek philosophy

On the contrary, I’m appalled that there’s even Snyder DC fanboys. Delusional. And probably 9 out of 10 of them are virgin closet hipsters.