You know, I've always liked that Venom. Don't know why he gets such a bad rap. He's a good boy

You know, I've always liked that Venom. Don't know why he gets such a bad rap. He's a good boy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OLh1LEvRT4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because stupid people like venom as a straight up villain

This is why i loved Anti-venom. People loved Brock because he was genuinely trying to be a hero without the ethics, somewhat goofy.
But i blame the macfarlane fans who never read comics since 90's to want more edge and more brain eating.

Somehow I don't think McFarlane fans and people who actually read comics in the 90s are mutually exclusive

Even when he was a straight up villain his shtick was "I'm not the badguy, Spider-Man is", his twisted sense of morality and delusion is what made him unique either way

Most villains in capeshit are just like YES I AM EVIL, HAHAHA, CAUSE EVIL RULES!

My first comic (that wasn't Archie or some Star Comics shit) was issue Amazing Spider-Man #346. I had no idea about the history of Venom or the symbiote really. I think a cousin of mine had given me a trading card of Venom so I had a general idea...
#347 was freaking intense. Venom actually believes he's won.
I was hooked from that point on. I gobbled up comics like popcorn. By the time issue 363 (the OP image) rolled around I had never been so hyped reading a run of a comic before.

Venom is intrinsically connected to my love of Spider-Man and comics in general. He's a good boy.

My first comic was Maximum Carnage, I used to try and collect any random issue I could find at comic shops, being a kid who didn't know anything about comics, I had a very incomplete story on my hands but I loved it, and Venom was my favorite character since then and made me actually look into more comics the older I got and could actually understand how they worked

IIRC, wasn't the whole brain eating thing and stupid mouth and whatnot created by a writer who really didn't like Venom?

how Venom's singing would even sound

Venom is more or less a 90s character. You can't blame 90s fans for liking a character created during that era. Spider-Man is grim and edgy as hell during the close out of the 80s and into the 90s. Look at that Sin-Eater plot that lead straight into Venom's origin.

Also, none of Spidey's villains were scary anymore so they needed a monstrous presence. Tons of stupid villain encounters in Amazing alone, not to mention Web Of and Spectacular using those Z-list Rocket Racer, Puma, Prowler storylines. Silver Sable all damn day long. How about Molten man everybody loves him, right? Brothers Grim, Kingpin,...ugh
Even making Hobgoblin an actual demon didn't add any urgency to the titles.

Venom's brain-eating ass was refreshing after so many dumpy stories.

Would Venom's mouth move with the words? Erik Larsen did a better job of showing that Eddie's face was just covered by goopy mask that looked like it had a gaping maw, Venom's mouth wasn't ACTUALLY a mouth that led anywhere.

Who knows how the symbiote bonds to the host, it's the same reason Carnage can be decapitated which implies Cletus got his head sliced off and yet didn't die.

Venom comes from that 80s/early 90s period that only people who grew up with media from then can understand

Old Venom stories clearly took influence from things like Alien and Predator

It all depends on the artist, classic Venom alone has a million different looks and styles, from being just a buffer Spider-Man with a freaky grin to being a literal hulk monster

some artists go way overboard with the mouth IMO. either too many teeth or jaws that don't make sense.

>Most villains in capeshit are just like YES I AM EVIL, HAHAHA, CAUSE EVIL RULES!

No well written villain is like that.

I love Venom as a villain, because he considers himself as the perpetual victim. He sees himself as the protagonist, the hero of his own twisted tale, which in turn allows him to kill and harm those he considers necessary to fulfill his perceived goals of heroism.

His first two stories are great because his rivalry with Peter is so different from the other villains.

That was my biggest gripe about modern Venom, especially during Thunderbolts.
Venom was enormous, a fucking huge block of monster mass when Gargan was shown to not be all that buff.

Eddie was always shown pumping iron, that's why he was bulky as Venom

They are almost always written like that, at least in terms of Spider-Man. Badguys are evil for the sake of loving evil, or they're just evil because it suits them

Venom was interesting because he was not a crook, nor was he an evil mastermind who relished in the idea of being a bad guy

>They are almost always written like that, at least in terms of Spider-Man

You should really read some comics that aren't written by Slott.

I don't know....Ottos thing is just being a dick even though he has the option of not being so, Norman literally loves evil, Electro, Scorpion, Sandman, Rhino, Mysterio, and the rest of his regular rogues are just embracing evil because they can most of the time

The point is these guys all know theyre bad guys, and are fine with it. This is rarely the case in real life

>This is rarely the case in real life
I'd say it's rarer to see a criminal think they have any legitimate right to do what they're doing. Most know they are selfish shit heads but they don't care as long as they get what they want. They know that breaking into the Krispy Kreme is wrong but they don't give a shit, they don't have any delusions about being righteous or justified.

That's the difference between a character like Venom and a common crook though, Venom wasn't a bank robber, he was a killer on a mission to do what he thought was right

>Rhino
>Sandman
>are just embracing evil because they can most of the time

Try to be less casual, please.

user, you can just admit you don't actually read comics. We'll all respect you more for being honest.

They could both find solutions to their problems if they became good guys. They are crooks at heart though, that is their character, mob type italian wop stereotypes even if not that specifically, they're guys who'd rather do crime 9 times out of 10 than be a super hero because the basis of their character is being criminals and thugs

It's insane how the PS1 game nailed his character.

youtu.be/OLh1LEvRT4U

>They are crooks at heart though
You have never read a single comic with either of those characters in them, have you?

I wouldn't say it -nailed- his character, as it implied the symbiote controlled Eddie. But it was pretty close.

Mostly old ones, what, have they been retconned into being pure hearts of gold who never wanted a life of crime? Because that's bullshit

For Rhino, look up his wife Oksana. That'll answer all your questions.

For Sandman, you know he went hero for years, right? He was a member of Silver Sable's Wildpack for quite a while and his motivator is his foster daughter, Keemia.

My point is though, that as villains they are okay with being criminals, guys like Ock do it for pure go which is evil, guys like Norman do it because they truly just love to be cruel, because of insanity or otherwise. Venom was unique because he was none of those things, not a petty crook, not a guy looking to prove anything, he was interesting as opposed to most capeshit villains because he felt like he was the hero of his own story, which is how most real life criminals tend to see it. The world wronged them, somebody wronged them, whatever it is they're justified in doing what they do because they are in the right and others are wrong

What the hell is with his face

In-universe? It's because he causes a ton of issues for Spider-Man or other people due to his misguided sense of morality and tendency to not shy away from wanton destruction.

Out of universe, I dunno. I wouldn't call him Spider-Man's archnemesis or anything, if only because he never really just went full villain like Green Goblin, but he's still a good anti-hero counterpart for Spidey.

>if only because he never really just went full villain like Green Goblin
say what?
He took deliberate steps to drive Pete crazy as a build up to finally killing him. He was only truly happy when he thought he had succeeded in killing Peter

What sucks about Sandman was that he was brainwashed back into being a villain because the Wizard was all "not muh Sandman"

It's pretty great how they did so well with low-poly and low-res textures. I appreciate that despite those things, they still made an articulated tongue.

WE ARE VENOM