Toonami Ratings for 5/27/17

Lupin the Third Part 4 will replace Gundam Unicorn starting June 17th. Lupin will now premiere at 2am instead of the previously stated time of 1:30am.

Samurai Jack is rerunning at 11pm. Yes we all know how retarded this is.

Adult Swim is funding two new 6 episode seasons of FLCL. Expected release 2018.

This week was a Jack marathon, expectations were low, but hilariously the marathon performed significantly higher than the regular block usually does.

11:00 Samurai Jack (r) 1031 0.47 606
11:30 Samurai Jack (r) 939 0.42 545
12:00a Samurai Jack (r) 888 0.40 519
12:30a Samurai Jack (r) 843 0.39 495
1:00a Samurai Jack (r) 786 0.37 481

1:30a Samurai Jack (r) 841 0.42 534
2:00a Samurai Jack (r) 784 0.36 468
2:30a Samurai Jack (r) 704 0.32 415
3:00a Samurai Jack (r) 681 0.32 408
3:30a Samurai Jack (r) 642 0.28 355

Nothing special here

8:00 Dragon Ball Super (r) 0.41 659 0.20 255
8:30 Bob’s Burgers (r) 0.40 668 0.22 286
9:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.46 738 0.27 342
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.54 852 0.32 405

10:00 Family Guy (r) 0.68 1096 0.42 543
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.80 1294 0.58 741

Samurai Jack re-running as the whole series or just the season 5ths?

And nothing different with the comedy reruns

4:00a Rick & Morty (r) 575 0.25 316
4:30a Rick & Morty (r) 581 0.25 325

5:00a King of the Hill (r) 629 0.26 338
5:30a King of the Hill (r) 591 0.29 369

So clearly the answer is to replace Toonami with Samurai Jack reruns.

Fifth

> popular show marathon does well

something something poetry, is anybody surprised by this?

I honestly wouldn't mind if Toonami became Samurai Jack and all they did was air 10 episodes of SJ a night starting from season 1.

At least we'd be rid of Shitpudding and Dragon Ball Super.

>Sup Forums contrarians try their absolute hardest to make Samurai Jack look like a terrible travesty
>Still outperforms every show on he Toonami lineup

Is this what being right feels like?

Even the worse American cartoon is better than shonenshit

>Toonami loses to family guy and bob's autism reruns
>Toonami loses to Samurai Jack reruns

Be honest, how much time does Toonami have left?

Weekly reminder that One Piece is the best selling manga WORLDWIDE!

Spam is against the rules

Yet I'm still here.

>Being proud of spamming.
Onepiecefags eveyrone.

The end of 2017 would be a miracle

I actually expected this. It's common practice these days for people to not watch shows weekly and wait til they finish so they can binge on a streaming service. The marathon was basically that kind of opportunity.

So, what's your overall sales trend looking like OPfag.

If this summer is as bad as most of us here think it will be, ratingswise, I'm pretty sure CN'll start drawing up plans for a phasing out of Toonami starting either this year or early 2018. After that, they'll either air anime at the end of the AS block like they used to or else we'll all just end up watching our shit online like everyone else.

>Sammy Jack reruns right at the start
>newest show is going at 2am
>Nardo already dangerously close to sub 400k numbers

It's not looking good. This night will prove to AS that timeslot isn't the issue, but rather the content of the block

>we'll all just end up watching our shit online like everyone else.
I torrent my anime already, have been for almost 10 years. I just watch Toonami for the nostalgia and hanging out with other fans, because it's a fun experience. Like going to the bar to enjoy the atmosphere even though you could buy the liquor for much cheaper at a shop and drink it at home. I'll be sad if Toonami goes away but it stopped being my main anime experience long before it was originally cancelled. I'm actually surprised there are still people who only watch anime via western TV.

>>Toonami loses to Samurai Jack reruns

make more adult western cartoons

It's sort of a hole they've dug for themselves though. They pandered to nostalgiafags but now they've got their nostalgia fix and are bored with the block. They tried pandering to "anime scene" on Tumblr by picking up the latest fad shows, but found out the audience for those shows is ephemeral, the hype for a show can evaporate in less than a year (AoT) or turn out to never be as substantial as it originally appeared (Jojo). They are too fickle to rely on for steady viewership. So what's left? The core of your audience is draining away and courting online western scene has proved unreliable.

The anons from the Saturday threads who kept saying this would be the lowest rates marathon in Toonami history are probably throwing a fit.

Same people who probably hated Ashi and tried to convince everybody the show went bad after she was introduced. Trying to project their own feelings onto everyone else. You'll notice from the ratings that the sixth episode actually saw a significant (almost 60k) spike in viewership, and that was the episode that was basically just Ashi wandering around interacting with old characters from the series.

>SJ rerunning at 11
Because that went so well with AoT, at least this will only be for 10 weeks

Did they seriously think that this would do worse than the IBO marathon?

They had their best ratings when airing slightly obscure titles like AgK and Parasyte, and even really obscure ones like Dimension W, yet they moved away from that and things are in the crapper. The solution is there, they just refuse to take it

Anyone who thought this would do worse than a Christmas marathon is retarded

> phasing out toonami starting either this year or next

imagine being this deluded. they literally just confirmed at the momokun panel [as] loved how well Jack S5 did and want to do more original content for Toonami.

The "Toonami is dead" ongoing fanfic writers seriously need to go outside for once in their lives.

>someone asks stupid question
>implying they would answer truthfully if the answer would start panic

Sure AS "wants" to. Will they? Probably not. With how low the ratings are you have to be deluded to think a cut isn't coming

I think you mean Western adult cartoons. Adult Westerns would be a... different thing altogether.

>Toonami stops being strictly anime and instead just becomes their action cartoon focused block with cartoons from all over the globe
I can live with that.

>S5 SJ does extremely well
>marathon does well
>" shit we should make more original content for adult swim and toonami if these are the kinda ratings they get "

>>With how low the ratings are you have to be deluded to think a cut isn't coming

shut up dumbfuck

shut up fag

That episode (even more than the season itself) is fun to watch the first time around but terrible in retrospect.

Because AS is so good about treating successful shows right. I can't wait for the next season of Aqua Teen and Metalocalypse

>samurai jack s5 going to refucking run some fucking more
So, they are going to rick and morty this shit up now.

fuck why not knock off Cleveland show or KOTH for another half hour of samurai jack and start from S1? that will easily last us until FLCL2

>Lupin will be 1:30 instead of 2

>Pushing Hunter X Hunter back at 2 originally

What was the Fucking point of switching them in the first place? Because nobody watches Gundam?

Also is it worth watching parts 1-3 to get into Part 4? Haven't watched Lupin

Samurai Jack was easily the most expensive production of the year. Even if AS wants more original content for Toonami, it won't happen often. And certainly not often enough to keep the block afloat.

Also, any future series isn't going to have 15 years of nostalgia behind it. Since CN wrote off pretty much all their action shows, AS has no choice but to make its own content, or roll the dice on one of the few not written off like IGPX. Both options are much riskier than Jack.

To be fair Aqua Teen was going on for more then ten years at that point and while it wasn't bad, the quality was dropping a little. It wasn't cancelled, it ended and I'm thankful they decided to end it while it was still mostly good rather then it becoming a zombie like Simpsons of Family Guy.

Fuck them for Metalocalypse though. Fuck them for Moral Orel too.

Galactic kids next door on Toonami when?

Lupin is like scooby doo, none of the episode are connected aside from passing remarks now and then. Should you watch them? Yes they are very good. Do you need to in order to watch the Toonami part? Not at all

man, the way they cancelled metalocalypse and then shit on its fans repeatedly leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Couldn't AS bring back unfinished anime series like they did with Big O?

I'm sure they could, but again that's big money. And the only anime Japan will let filthy gaijin make more seasons of are failures. For example, they probably wouldn't care if AS wanted to fund a Deadman Wonderland proper adaption since it was such a flop over there

If watch the entire block every week if they adapted DMWL in a 24 episode anime that follows the manga to the end

AgK wasn't "slightly obscure" it was a very popular anime on tumblr at the time. They got lucky with it, just like picking up KLK and OPM at the exact right time to capitalize on their popularity. AoT too, but it overstayed its welcome. They were probably hoping they could bank on it more but underestimated just how fickle the tumblr crowd is. I think AoT was the first time nu-Toonami really bungled with a fad show, not understanding they were chasing very fleeting sources of viewership and not long-term investments. Maybe that's why Demarco decided to shift to longrunners for a while, he wanted something more stable and steady. And you know, for a while that proved to not be a really bad decision because it let him fill the block very easily with shows guaranteed to pull acceptable ratings. But it didn't last, as stagnancy eventually took its toll and made people lose interest. So now the pendulum is swinging back the other way and we're chasing fads and trying more obscure shows again.

Since we are getting more originals, will any of them even compare to space dandy?

Good to know thanks

Samurai Meme killing the block by making the execs see how bad the rest of the shows are. well played, Demarco

Somebody red pill me in Lupin, I have no idea what that is

There's no hard continuity. It's very much like Scooby Doo in a way. Lupin the Third Part IV does have its own bit of continuity, but it's nothing that you would've needed to watch the other parts or movies for.

You should still watch Castle of Cagliostro if you haven't already. It's a damn good film.

Dandy was a miracle project. It brought together people from across the Japanese animation industry who just wanted to do cool shit, got funding from [as] to do it, and then got a really good dub to boot.

Nothing will touch Dandy, even if we get some GOOD shit in the future.

The anime industry has collaborated with the west numerous times, usually selling their studio's services to various western studios, but creative collaboration on Japanese anime with the west is extremely uncommon. I think you can count on one hand the number of times it has been pulled off. Part of this is that anime production is a creative process and it requires collaboration and communication between the producers and the anime studio. The ones who provide the most funding get the most say about the show and its content, they can make major creative and content decisions about it because it's their money going into the project. This is a problem when the producers and creative team do not speak the same language and have to rely on interpreters. It makes the whole process that much more laborious and painful. Also add in the fact that the creative team is essentially making something for an audience they don't intuitively understand. Anime studios understand the anime scene in Japan, they know how it works, they know what fans like, they have their ear to the ground and know the general trends. They're basically blind and clueless about what the west's scene is like. As somebody working creatively in entertainment, at the behest of somebody else, that's not a very attractive situation to be in. It's one thing if it's your own creative project and you care most about making it authentic to your own vision (something like Space Dandy), but when you're approached to do a project for a foreign audience it puts a lot of pressure on you (Big O season 2). The most successful of these projects tend to be ones that already have a lot of interest in Japan, but which also have a lot of interest from the west (Ghost in the Shell). Such coincidence of shared interest is extremely rare though. There is not a whole lot of overlap in what is popular in Japan and what is popular outside it.

>since we are getting more originals

Oh you poor child

Didn't ATLA do this pretty successfully, though? (Yes I know it's not anime, but all the points you brought up obviously still apply.)

The stars aligned to make Space Dandy happen. A very influential anime director and producer who has made shows popular in the west and respected in Japan decided to do an original project with collaborative funding from America. If it was anyone other than Watanabe the project probably wouldn't have worked.

Very popular crime comedy thriller in the late 60's/70's that exploded into a franchise.

Think of it like Japans own James Bond, sorta.

ATLA is an American production, it's not a collaborative one. They relied heavily on Korean animators to do the project but this is just what I mentioned early in that post: eastern animation studios selling their services to western studios for their creative projects. I'm talking about a creative project born in Japan from a Japanese creative team, with western influences due to their role as producer. That kind of collaboration is unicorn-tier rare. ATLA was just a case of very successful outsourcing because the Nickelodeon studio and show runners went the extra mile to work with the Korean animation studio to make sure they got a high quality product. It was a good example of how to do outsourcing to Korea or Japan correctly.

They have some personal issues with Brendon small, that's why all the fuck you to him, very sad situation since he has produced the best original shows adult swim has aired.

That's more of an example he gave of the west having a Japanese studio do their animation. It's the West's vision, they just wanted Japan to animate it for one reason or another (in the 80s & 90s it was because it was cheap, in recent decades because the style is popular).

It's that blonde faggot with long hair who hates Brandon small, I forgot his name.

I was referring to the extensive collaboration actually, but already responded anyways.

Which is why I suggested something like Deadman. There shouldn't be any need for significant communication
>here's the manga, adapt it
>here's the old anime, try to match its style

>This week was a Jack marathon, expectations were low, but hilariously the marathon performed significantly higher than the regular block usually does.

Family Guy fags BTFO.

>Samurai Jack is rerunning at 11pm. Yes we all know how retarded this is.

They should start over at Season 1 if they're going to do this, it's a better benchwarmer than Family Guy.

Family Guy fags are like the one group who wasn't BTFO though

No it wouldn't, not from a ratings standpoint at least

>Rerunning Samurai Jack

Why, because they'll lose that 11 spot otherwise to Adult Swim shoving another Family Guy

Are "FamilyGuyfags" even a thing? At most I can just imagine them to be cynical people who think action cartoons are dead and low budget comedy, like Family Guy, to succeeded.

Dude, paragraphs. They're like magic.

Honestly they should stick Lupin there.

Yes something like Deadman would be fairly simple. Because Toonami could just approach the publisher via the distributor and then the publisher can handle the animation studio, which is the normal way manga adaptations get handled. They'd still have to bring somebody from Toonami in to figure out what kind of content and such they're looking for since it's going to be broadcast in America, but most of the creative decisions would probably be left to the publisher and author working with the studio.

They are bootymad Jack fans who say Family Guy would do better at 11. Which is true regardless

That's only a little wordy for a standard paragraph length. Unless you're talking about Light Novels where paragraphs are rarely longer than 50 words.

They need to get more original content on there. That's the solution.

It takes them 3 years to shit out 10 Rick and Morty episodes and that's the most successful show they have. Don't hold your breath for Toonami content often

Or Sup Forums, where attention spans are rarely longer than 50 characters. Unless said characters are waifus.

I want reruns of the early seasons leading up to season 5. Why must Toonami do this?

Come to Canada then, where the local CN only shows the first 4 seasons.

Getting good original content out of AS is like pulling teeth.

Pretty much this. I'm glad they are open to more content, but I also remember how long AS takes to make things. So I'm not holding my breath on more Toonami shows

And that's why it's my suggestion. I'd love for more stuff like Big O and Dandy, but that is far from realism and we likely won't ever see something like that again.

Stupidity.

Mike lazzo hates Brandon small, I can't believe I remembered his name while nodding out, thank you dope, sorry stone cold, I just cannot quit dope.

>So, what's your overall sales trend looking like OPfag.

Not them but lookin' pretty good actually.

>barely outselling a nearly new series

lmao

>jack reruns beat the fuck out of the blocks normal ratings
this is bad... isnt it

Yep. It was nice while it lasted. except for all those cancerous Gundam series De Marco kept spamming

they acknowledged that at momokon, Toonami having a unique appeal is why it's so successful, because it stands out.

Part of why ASA wasn't great may have well been the lack of identity. I genuinely don't remember anything about that block's packaging aside from the highscore bumps (RIP) and the occasional anime-related one like saying they can't get Samurai Champloo again.

Shut the fuck up. We get it, you like Kill la Kill and hate every other show on the block. You don't have to post about it ever single week! Do you not realize how annoying that is?

>petition fax went directly into a paper shredder on live stream
Jeez.

>Do you not realize how annoying that is?

I imagine he does, that's why he does it

God damn that was the funniest shit, and I'm someone who wants more of the show

i think he was trying to be a pot calling the kettle black

I guess you could say it was pretty brutal

How bad is Lupin gonna do? I want to watch it but throwing it at 2am day one makes it seem they expect poor numbers

How many threads did Saturday have, anyway? I stayed around for a tiny bit and then just played Persona 5 until 1:30am and went to sleep.

The final season of SJ was good, but given everything that happened and the (non)-existence of Ashi, did any of it matter?

5 full ones plus whatever the hungry games did

that late its ganna do pretty bad, lupin was never huge in the states and others will just go to bed or realize its not episodic and will not watch because no part 1-3 or something i dunno im still sad that jack outdid toonami and wont be long before they go full fucking family guy 4 hours a night

5, which is actually pretty good for a marathon. We had enough to make it to 6 but it made more sense to just migrate back to an older thread once we hit the image limit.