What is the most overrated movie ever made?

your favorite movie

harry potter series

2001: A Space Odyssey.

I literally turned it off about half-way in.

Arrival

Overrated? Why not the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

wow you actually took the time to write all that out, embarrassing.

Brainlet detected

Well written and I agree. Every Potter fan I have met has been a 17 year old British Muslim girl or a pubescent autistic teenager who doesn't fit in with the rest of his class. The world is boring and the movies poorly made.
Pic rel80

Probably not the most overrated movie EVER, but definitely the most overrated movie recently.

Probably Avatar or Inception. They're good movies, sure. But everyone kept talking about them like they were the greatest things to grace the screen.

I still love it though.

Get Out

this movie is purely for sycophants

Citizen Kane

I'll take the bait, how

How new are you?

it's copy pasta m8s, and not even good pasta
>the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody
the series means a lot to a huge number of people. people in their 20s literally grew up with the stuff and rewatch the movies all the time

wonder woman

Get Out

Joker is not convincing as a crazy person, because he's too methodical and calculating, and he's too effective at reading people. (Incidentally, Nicholson's Joker actually comes across as crazy.) So instead we end up with a villain who knows everything and has contingencies for all possible outcomes, has unlimited means, and no motivation. "He's crazy" is supposed to sub in for motivation, but it doesn't, because he's far too sane. Instead it ends up being a movie without a lot of substance, but a big ol' pile of pretense that children on the internet latch onto.

Also the "plan" that he sets out relies on so much luck it's amazing.

The point is that in his head he wasn't the crazy one, in his mind he was the sane one, that was just ahead of the curve. That's true insanity.

Probably Get Out.

It's talked about in hushed tones like it's citizen kane.

Not that one.

Shakespeare in love, a.i, Apollo 13, bridge of spies, the goonies, star wars the last Jedi

I can't even discuss why I didn't think this was amazing without people jumping down my throat.

t. crispin glover

I'm trying to figure out why the ridiculous 'twist' was okay for this movie and got a pass.

Actually a very difficult question
>92863092
This was definitely very overrated, I think it just has to do with the fact that most people who saw it don't know shit about linguistics and so thought it was super intriguing or something.

Get out

it was alright, not very good
you can. just don't blame it all on charlize theron or the wives.

>you can.

No, I'm talking about in groups of people/at a party or whatever because everyone can't stop gushing over it.

you don't have to agree with them you know. you can just say you didn't like it.

This holy fuck this movie was just bland

Villeneuve fell off pretty hard for a while, Incendies was way better than this and Arrival, at least BR2049 was kino

I am aware. I do say that, and people get defensive. This is what happens when a movie is extremely well received and people can't fathom the idea of someone not liking it.

Again, if I say anything negative about it, people get on my ass.

Well this is the place to air your criticisms. What are they? Story too simple? Characters too archetypical? Elaborate.

>I do say that, and people get defensive.
so?
>if I say anything negative about it, people get on my ass.
send them my way i could use some of that shit

Deadwood.

Black director.

>so?

It's a film. People will like and dislike it. Why get all mad someone doesn't think the same as you?

because some people can't see beyond themselves. some people can't be normal human beings. and i don't mean angry, lonely or suicidal people by that. they're the normal people.

It was rated exactly as it should have been. Didn't win awards, didn't get overhyped, just an above-average operator flick. It wasn't trying to be No Country.

what?

>ridiculous twist
>it's just invasion of the body snatchers but with black people
>plebs somehow think this is "ridiculous"

It's not a bad movie, but you're fucking retarded if you don't find the twist ridiculous at all.

Don't you dare come in here comparing both of the excellent IOTBS films with this fucking racebait flick overpraised by the usual people.

It's a very, VERY common twist in the horror genre. Only a pleb would find it ridiculous.

Fucking this. Worst movie I've ever seen but, its praised for some reason.

Yes, on top of being cliche as fuck, it is ridiculous and nonsensical

ding

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Exactly, you're just a pleb. You're unable to engage with a film as a series of narrative choices, and instead engage with it wrt how "realistic" you find it.

Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Dunkirk

Explains why I liked It Follows, very realistic
I haven't even said it's a bad movie, you are just really really bothered that someone doesn't love the idiotic twist. Sorry.

>ANYTHING IS ALLOWED EVER AS LONG AS THE NARRATIVE IS GOOD

Isn't how it works.

I mean, anything is allowed so long as it's built into the narrative and justified by it. To argue about it, you'd have to explain what exactly you thought wasn't justified.

Rear Window

And Hitchcock is most overrated director.

The action sequences are top notch. I hope there more convincing story to back up why they do what they do. The original is superior piece than this latest installment.

No.
No.

Don't try to get out of this century.

Shawshank is really good...but rated number 1 overall on imbd out of all movies ever. Yeah, that's to high.
That deserves the over rated category.

>Swang Song has the coolest cover ever with some 6-eyed demon dog thing
>all the rest are bland as fuck

gravity

Overall? It's likely this. Otherwise it's the highest grossing movie of each year, ones that stir unnecessary controversy, ones that are praised despite being shit for any genre or movies that are considered untouchabley good and are by extension void of any critique because of their reputation.

/thread

Get Out

>threading yourself
low

Really low

>taking 5 minutes to shop a picture

No Country For Old Men.

But was that a good start for defining what can be considered overrated? Would films taught in university count as well?

>1984 High Tier
>1984 ranked higher than Brave New World
user, kys. Huxley's depiction of a dystopian future is extraordinarily accurate and relevant to our current world state than Orwell's plebeian shit will ever be.
1984 is so retarded and easy to understand that brainlets have been using it as justification for them being "intelligent" and understanding "polictics" for decades. It's pure cancer.

You're fucking cringey.

Sure thing, kid

>Growing up on something makes it good

How about this, shut your mouth....Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you

I thought that people defending it were just trolling. Are there seriously people on Sup Forums who think BvS was a good movie?

I do.

omg dunkirk was terrible, i don't get what nolan was going for at all

wrong

Wow

all of the Nolan batman shit
inception
BR2049
Django Unchained
Robocop
Eternal Sunshine
12 monkeys

also anything with Liam Neeson

Totally agree

Consistently hailed as one of the greatest movies of all time on every normie list out there. Fuck off.

>mfw this thread and all it's lousy b8's
holy shit can't eufags even troll anymore?
must be hard when mohammed is fucking you from behind all the time.

>to our current world state
They both happen, in different countries and situations.

This for me too. That last 30 mins of alien trumpet noises felt like it went on forever

the lord of the rings movies.

i like it but i think those who defend it are a hundred percent trolling