The Kingdom of the Sun was such a heart-breaking experience for me...

>The Kingdom of the Sun was such a heart-breaking experience for me. I put four years of my heart and energy into that one. Though I may have seemed calm for the camera (as I always tried to be for my crew) inside it was a chaotic struggle resulting in annihilation. I was creating an “epic” picture mixing elements of adventure, comedy, romance and mysticism. The head of Disney Features at the time was afraid that we were doing, in his opinion, too many films in the same vein. He was also uncomfortable with the spiritual and cultural (Inca) aspects of it. Hence, he decided to make it a simple slapstick comedy. They kept just enough of my elements (characters and such) that I can never produce my original vision or story elsewhere. Would it have worked out if we had had more time? I would hope so, but one can never know these things.
Would it really have been that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

fumettologica.it/2014/12/intervista-roger-allers-re-leone/2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, there was too mamy plots happening at once and it was all played serious.

>I'm gonna steal the Sun

how does that even work?

Honestly? While the guy got screwed over, the original story seemed kinda bland and generic. Especially the love plot with the female shepherd. Like a more boring Princess and the Frog. The only thing I miss is that they took out the villain song.

But the end product ended up becoming a pretty charming and actually funny clever comedy. And Krunk is better as a human.

Still want to see the storyboard presentation of the film. I know it exists, Disney, stop hoarding it.

to be fair, the original was a prince and the poor story. Very generic and kinda bland.

Kuzco turned out to be so much more original, fun, and creative. I guess it's the one instance in which executive meddling worked.

I want to see initial storyboards for Zootopia, that movie was going to be so much more interesting.
Executives ruin all the fun.

I wouldn't trade TENG for such a gamble. It really came through

krunk was originally not human?

He was a squirrel. That's why he can talk to Bucky

jesus, squirrel sidekick for an inca movie?
thank god we got teng

I laugh everytime I hear "pull the lever, Kronk". And the cooking scene? It was just... Just..

Kronk and Yzma are the only parts of ENG that matter to me. The rest is forgettable fluff. After the gift that is the Warburton/Kitt comedy duo Kingdom of the Sun's most worthwhile contribution upon its death was giving Lilo & Stitch enough room to breathe since everyone was so focused on trying to turn Kingdom into a marketable film.

I think my biggest disappointment was Disney cancelling their project based on Aida.

No, Yzma's sidekick was a talking Inca statuette voiced by Harvey Fierstein as well as a trio of mummies named Keith, Lemmy, and Bowie

Was Bowie the flamboyant one?

Why does this reminds me of Gargoyles from the hunchback of Notre Dame?

This isn't even a real quote OP just wrote some shit out.

Fuck off OP you can't even say WHO said it.

Maybe it could've been good but I don't know about that. What we did get is a funny film so it's not a huge loss

i saw the documental of the proyect, and later read some articles and search the names involved. i can assure you that this quote even if it s not an actual quote, it makes sense. Also fact someone quit when they decided to change the story. by the way, you expected OP to respond you, but it was me user

Source is here.
fumettologica.it/2014/12/intervista-roger-allers-re-leone/2/

oh, he actually responded that in a interview........the feels dude

This is one of those occasions were I truly do feel bad for the artists, but for once the executives not only had the right idea but probably made the film better.

It would've been cliche as fuck, even for Disney. Prince and the Pauper story?

Sorry dude but that and your very likely to be predictable "romance", just makes it sound like any other cookie cutter adaptation in the Disney style.

What we got was a slapstick comedy where, honestly, I can't think of any part of it having a precedent. At least not off the top of my head.

From what I gather, the executives weren't the main issue on that one. The biggest problem was that nobody working on the film could figure out how the hell to make an hour and a half movie out of the original idea. Supposedly, the original drafts just wandered around aimlessly between key scenes and didn't feel like a coherent whole. Every time they rewrote it, it still just felt like a sad, boring slog that was unpleasant to sit through.

They turned it into a buddy cop movie because they just outright gave up on trying to make the original idea work.