This is the best horror movie of the 21 century

This is not a discussion thread, just stating a fact

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mpuF-3ihFnQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

boo

i really enjoyed the first movie but as a british person this was borderline blackface

i laughed until i cried at how bad some of it was

I liked the scene where Patrick Wilson played the guitar and sang the Elvis tune
It was just boring mainstream horror otherwise, not scary in the slightest but I guess that's not even the point. There was even a retarded final boss fight at the end

anybody got any spoopy webms?

that's an exorcist ripoff
this was better

This movie sucked. Not even scary.

That scene was kino, good taste user

>bargain brand Lulu Wilson
I'll pass

I liked it. She was way better than both of the Annabelle Creation girls. Have any of you seen her film with Imogen Poots that came out in November?

>anything connected to James Wan
>good
You have REALLY shit taste.

that's right, his work isn't at all good... it's excellent

Probably my favorite too.

Havent seen Conjuring 2 yet, but the first one was better than I expected.

I wanna watch Annabelle Creation, but I don't really wanna sit through both Conjurings and the first Annabelle.

You don’t have to, it makes sense on its own. It’s a prequel.

not even clorse
Conjuring and the sequel are decent, Annabelle and Creation are straight garbage

what about the vvitch?
this also a good pick

nah. It is going to be seen as iconic eventually though

This is shit, honestly.

Imagine having such bad taste

>Annabelle and Creation are straight garbage

The only worthwhile thing about Annabelle was the home invasion scene at the start.

when will the upsidedown cross meme end?
Saint Peter was crucified on this cross. It is a Christian symbol not edgelord demonic crap

kek

>meme thread
>mainstream "horror"
>as if anything mainstream horror this century can be horror

you're probably 12 years old faggot, go to bed.

jajajajaja

Serious tho, terrible opinion

Me on the left

Total schlock. Do not watch this.

I disliked the first Conjuring, it was well made but the scares were the most uninspired obvious shit you could imagine, nicely made but very boring and generic. The climax was one of the blandest exorcism scenes I've ever witnessed.

I was surprised to really enjoy Conjuring 2. Too many jump scares but it had some more inventive scares and a more interesting story. Conjuring 1 was just generic haunted house movie, let's find out ghost's backstory, this is the ghost's backstory, climax is Farmiga getting possessed, power of love saves the day, absolute garbage. Conjuring 2 raised the stakes and made me give a shit when Farmiga has the vision of the nun killing Wilson. Felt like the story was actually building to something in this one while Conjuring 1 was a by the numbers haunted house movie. Conjuring 2 also made an attempt to have some kind of satisfying resolution or revelation with bits and pieces you're given throughout the story being put together for the reveal towards the end.

The nun had a good design and was a much more menacing villain than the ghost in Conjuring 1, case in point, I don't even remember what the ghost in Conjuring 1 looks like because it was so fucking forgettable. The backbone of this movie are the performances of Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. Both are excellent actors and have good chemistry. Their relationship was a big focus in this movie and their "cute" scenes that you'd think would come across as overly sappy and cringe worthy genuinely work because Wilson and Farmiga are so talented.

tl;dr
Plebs enjoy Conjuring 1 and dislike Conjuring 2. Patricians like Conjuring 2. Not an excellent movie but it has enough good stuff to be enjoyable.

This is actually the best horror movie of the 21 century

This is exactly how I felt. I watched the 2nd one before the first and was kinda disappointed by the first.

2nd has some very memorable scenes.

Agreed on Conjuring but I must admit I didn't like the sequel at all, it was just a mess of a film
Crooked Man design was neat though

The first one is a competent by-the-books horror flick. The second one feels like a Sam Raimi film.

friendly reminder that the guy in this makes millions from singing
youtube.com/watch?v=mpuF-3ihFnQ

What did you dislike about it? Causing it a mess seems like a negative buzzword for the sake of using a negative buzzword. It's story is concise and well told. The characters are well explored and developed. I don't have a problem if you dislike it but calling it a "mess" seems illogical, regardless of opinions.

Lots of great scenes, even if it sometimes shits the bed to appeal to the 13 year old girls in the audience. The portrait scene genuinely could've been one of the greatest scenes in horror until the pay off where the nun runs at the screen with the portrait. Went from 10/10 GOAT horror to a Benny Hills sketch in the span of a second.

If by competent you mean boring, sure. 2 is a lot more fantastical but there is nothing wrong with having some fun in your horror movie. 1 took itself too seriously, which adds to it's "boring" attribute. I wasn't a fan of the Crooked Man though, purely because he looked like terrible CGI. I know they cast the incredibly skinny horror movie guy to play the Crooked Man and have claimed there was zero CGI in his scenes but I don't buy it, I'm certain they made some sort of CGI enhancements to his body. Either that or James Wan cant light a scene for shit which was the cause for how awful the Crooked Man looked.

The same applies to the first Insidious. The second half of Insidious 1 is better than the first half. First half was an incredibly boring jump scares riddled snoozefest. Second half dropped the illusion it was anything but a boring piece of shit generic haunted house movie and basically turned into a creature feature and it was better for it.

Good post. You convinced me to see it again and re-evaluate it

>It's story is concise and well told
Sure but everything in between isn't tight enough, too many things going on at once, the first one was cookie cutter old haunted house thing but it worked as one in all it's predictability, the sequel expects me to care about the characters too much but it fails to build the relationship.
And personally I just feel the nun design is really lame, too on the nose 'spooky' looking, kinda like how they fucked up Pennywise in the new It

this movie was terrible and you're retarded if you think it's good. it was literally just loud banging noises and people screaming at you trying to get a jump out of you.

fuck off

>Sure but everything in between isn't tight enough, too many things going on at once
Too many things going on at once? Are you fucking kidding me? We have
a) the family in the house being haunted
b) Wilson and Farmiga just living in their house while Farmiga has visions of the nun
We spend 10 - 15 minutes with the Warrens in the first half in which Farmiga has a vision of the nun killing Wilson, the rest is focused on the family. Then about halfway through the movie the Warrens head over to London to investigate the haunting while the nightmare of Wilson's death looms over Farmiga. Incredibly simple stories, both of which are fleshed out to the extent that they should be.
>the first one was cookie cutter old haunted house thing but it worked as one in all it's predictability,
But it didn't. It was boring. There was nothing to it. You can have a cookie cutter genre piece but you still have to have standout moments or things about it. The ghost is so forgettable and generic I don't even remember what she looks like. No one forgets the nun, whether or not they like her.
>the sequel expects me to care about the characters too much but it fails to build the relationship.
You're one of the few to think this or you're just being a contrarian faggot. I don't care about the family but the relationship between Wilson and Farmiga is ironically the most compelling part of the movie.
>And personally I just feel the nun design is really lame, too on the nose 'spooky' looking, kinda like how they fucked up Pennywise in the new It
I despise nuPennywise and I think the nun is a solid monster. Although I do hate the glowing eyes and teeth when she snarls.

>da conjurin 2 wuz a gud movee

>tfw always fall in love with these horror movie little girls and want to protect them

To be honest I'd have to go back and watch both of the movies again to explain myself better, it's been a while since I watched them but neither was really good enough to waste my time on and 2 just felt especially weak
>You're one of the few to think this
That's fair I guess. I do like Wilsons and Farmigas performance in both and like you said, they carry the movies 100% but the looming death of Wilson just didn't feel like actual threat.
Maybe it was the fact that they showed that at the very start, like in Exorcist you have the priests getting in to the case and it slowly starts to infect their normal every day lives as well and there is a big build up towards the end but here they just tell everything from the get go and it just feels so disconnected from the family from the start.

I disagree but you'd have had a better chance of convincing people if you had posted the first one, even if I disagree with that too

I don't think I'll ever understand the hype around these movies. Together with Paranormal Activity they were the movies guilty of popularizing the low-effort loud noise/jumpscare shit all mainstream Horror movies use as a crutch nowadays. Fuck James Wan.

>guilty of popularizing
hardly, if anything they just made bank with that trend

>it just feels so disconnected from the family from the start.
But towards the end you find out the nun was the one puppeteer the ghost at the Enfield house and was luring the Warrens in.

It's still boring predictable jumpscare shit so my overall point still stands

My only real issue with the first is how simple the ghost is. There's all this suspense and build up leading to the end, with crazy shit happening in multiple locations making you think there's gonna be some kind of twist or clever shake-up, rather than her just trying to kill the daughter. But nope, she's just like "blegh, I'm gonna get ya!"

I actually liked the 2nd in that regard more, since the demon has more going on in its motives and strategy. But then the ending is more of a letdown because they beat it by just remembering that they already knew how to beat it.

Maybe it's just a case of "how much can you really do with a supernatural element as an enemy" without getting into comedy or fantasy genres.

Yeah but it doesn't really save that disconnection
Though the idea itself of demon controlling ghost to spook the family was pretty original

>Maybe it's just a case of "how much can you really do with a supernatural element as an enemy" without getting into comedy or fantasy genres.
I feel like Insidious was pretty neat in that regard, it felt like horror movie in fantasy setting with the dream world and shit, like chapter from Sandman, fuck they even had the gasmask

I actually really enjoy this movie but it's not scary at all. I just like paranormal shit.

gay