Worm Web Serial Thread

Sequel when?

>What's Worm?
Worm is a web serial, an online piece of literature which is basically a massive E-book.
parahumans.wordpress.com/

>What's Worm about?
Worm is about an alternate universe where superheroes exist, and is notable for being in a realistic setting while not being overly edgy or grimdark.

>Is Worm Sup Forums?
Worm is Sup Forums because it relates to capes, and is unironically better than the vast majority of comics, cartoons, or movies about superheroes.

Other urls found in this thread:

t4nky.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/interview-with-wildbow/
wildbow.wordpress.com
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCW6KR4MVOXaGS2KlDJzWITG0RzAJ9NLo
wildbow.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/thoughts-on-writing-serials/
forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-crisis-of-taylor-hebert.304815/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Worm is Sup Forums because it relates to capes
Bull fucking shit, the board is called "Comics & Cartoons" not "Capeshit & Capeshit"

>realistic setting while not being overly edgy or grimdark

Oh so it's dull

>while not being overly edgy or grimdark.
Blatant lies... Worm is so edgy it'd make punisher cry, just like those batman fans crying on contessa week in WWW leddit

But capes are inherently a part of Sup Forums. What's the issue here?
/lit/ won't take this because its not a fucking "classic". /tg/ won't take this because fucking Weaverdice is shit. /trash/ won't take this because it's fucking /trash/. So what now?

Didn't /lit/ point out all the flaws in it?

pretty sure OP is in the right here, if there was any board that worm would be on it would be Sup Forums. The only thing that has me wondering is whats with the sudden piqued interest in worm. We've had a lot of threads in the last month that came out of nowhere

>pretty sure OP is in the right here
No he's not
>if there was any board that worm would be on it would be Sup Forums
Only because /lit/ said it was shitty? Fuck off.

Sup Forums won't take it either because it's not a comic or cartoon. Guess your shitty story just doesn't belong anywhere then.

Instead of fucking arguing, can't we just talk about this? What do you like about it, at least past any of the garbage?

Nah, the /lit/ thread got derailed like every /lit/ thread does.

At least we read real books. Faggot.

To be honest I'm more interested on how to make web serials work for personal projects, since I don't have so much confidence on my drawing abilities to make a webcomic.

Still not sure if Sup Forums is the right place for this kind of things. /lit/ is more like it even if the threads end up as dead as almost anything there.

>Can't we just talk about this

No. Fuck off.

worm two is palpably close, people are getting hyped, i wonder if we are going to have regular thread for when it actually arrives, i would like to have somewhere to talk about wildbow regularly besides the comment section of his storis

How many times do mod's have to delete these threads before you get the dicks out of your mouth and go to the right board? This isn't a comic. This isn't a cartoon. This is literature. We have a literature board. No amount of your cockgozzling will transform Sup Forums into a general purpose capeshit board. You're worse than the Sup Forums fags coming here to banepost woops I mean discuss MCU and shit because at least those are based on comic books going back decades. Being based on superheroes does not make it Sup Forums just because there are some comic books and cartoons that are about super heros too. When someone makes an animated series or graphic novel adaptation of Work, then you can drag it here.

This by the way is coming from someone who's read Worm twice and thinks it's the most original take on the idea of superheroes in decades as well as a beautiful execution of cosmic horror and an all-around well written story. (although it needs an editor to go through it and do a fuckton of trimming.)

In conclusion, spit don't swallow. That's how you avoid getting the herp.

is anyone re-reading worm in preparation from worm 2?
im halfway through the story, when she is about to get betrayed by coil and im afraid i wont make it all the way to the end before twig ends

You can do it. You only have BEHEMOTH, Slaughterhouse Nine Thousand, and then Scion

aka, the shittiest parts of the story and the ending

I don't get that one. I've seen a couple people lump Behemoth in with the post-Brockton slump, but I really liked it.

I absolutely love worm and I completely agree with this. Comics are a medium not a genre, the more the board and the general zeitgeist follows "comics are capes" the more damage it does to the medium and industry as a whole.
In short: DELET THIS RIGHT THE FUCK NOE

No they are not. Slashers are not inherently Sup Forums, Westerns are not unherently /lit/ and Superheroes are not inherently Sup Forums.

/tg/ has Worm threads every now and then.

You literally don't need other boards

This is also why we need a Superhero board, because there really is so much superhero media that it warrants its own board.
/Cpsht/: all cape media nothing else
Sup Forums: cape comics and cartoons are fine, all secondary banned
Sup Forums: cape film and tv is still allowed

the problem is that right after behemoth is killed is when the time skip starts so people have bad associations with it.
also is when the best character dies

Wow great idea faggot. Until then am I to presume that your jizz stained fingers will continue furiously copypasting this thread over and over until Sup Forums somehow enters some kind of exhausted refractory period and succumbs to your micropanis gay fag promiscuity and allows these threads to exist?

REGENT
DID
NOTHING
WRONG

he really didnt, he was a sociopath and yet he played along with all of taylor's moral qualms without hardly any complaint, in the end he was the most heroic motherfucker in the group

how do i read it together? preferably on my ereader

Take a valium or something chief

It's all on one wordpress

Nigger I don't even want this thread here, I was agreeing with the post I replied to that it's bullshit, and a reason for a superhero board.

>and is notable for being in a realistic setting while not being overly edgy or grimdark.
>not being overly edgy or grimdark

You're out of your fucking mind mate.

Download pocket app and download the individual chapters for easy reading

So, you guys keep making these threads and I finally decided to read it last week.

I made it to Interlude 22 and I thought I'd want nothing more than Taylor to become A Hero, but it seems like such a hollow victory that is sure to be followed by a ton of "these consequences are worst that we imagined to the nth degree"

I mean, I'm down for watching Earth Bet burn to the ground and everything, but it seems very telegraphed that the ruse cruise Miss Militia, Defiant, and Dragon are running is going to hit an iceberg a la Titanic.

Was he really one, or just heavily emotionally stunted?

I see these threads pop up now and again and I'm trying hard not to get spoiled but I wanna talk about it with fellow fans so badly. I'm still on the Prey arc. Good shit so far.

I thought the idea of reading again would be a complete turn-off, especially with how difficult it was to read the first chapter. I guess I just needed to flex my imagination muscles for a little bit because now I'm fucking hooked.

Name these characters in order from left to right.

I'm but from what I can tell

Battery, Triumph, Armsmaster, Miss Militia and no idea who the last could be.

There's gonna be a sequel? That's somewhat disappointing. I thought I was in the clear because I came late to the party and had everything handed out to me. Now I gotta go through waiting periods just like everyone else.

It's Assault and he's looking at his 'puppy' :(

Do not read that spoiler if you're only on Prey.

>When you know there's going to be a bunch of "Worm isn't Sup Forums / shit" garbage
Makes me want to make the next thread desu

>Implying you're done already

You're probably on Chapter 8 or three billion.

I didn't imagine red, but it does fit him now that I look at him more. And thanks, I won't spoil myself. Leaving this thread now.

you still have the equivalent of eleven game of thrones books to get through in order to finish worm 1

and if you get really bored waiting you can get through both pact and twig, im sure you have a couple of months at least of continuous reading

Like I mentioned before, I'm on Prey but I'm trying to get through it so I can take a closer look at these threads. I don't even want to look too hard at the galleries because I'm afraid something might get spoiled for me. Heck, I can't even look too hard at the comment section since some don't mince words with spoilers.

That and half of them are dominated by Psycho Gecko anyway.

And is it gonna take wildbow three years to finish this one too? I don't know if I can take it. Isn't one of the other stories an ongoing as well?

I suppose I can try and see what the others are about. I dunno if they'll catch my attention like Worm has though.

Guys Wildbow says that he looks making a buffer zone of like 16 updates before he starts posting. Based off his tips for writing a web serial post. So unless he has already started writing, we might be in for a wait. But he needs the time. The single biggest issue that Worm had was plotting.

The Time skips always screwed the story over a bit. The minor Leviathen one wasn't too bad. But the big one had her make no character progression in the 2 years.

Also he didn't even plan to have her survive Leviathen, which was noticeable. That is why the Wordpress was named Parahumans instead of Worm.

Anyway Worm Is great in it justification of Super hero tropes. The single power source, the Endbringers, Tinkers explaining why Reed Richards of the universe are useless, the conflict drive.

Another major strong suit is having a beginning, middle and end, even if they weren't all equally strong. Instead of comics which is perputally middle.

Then finally is the powers. Most powers are intelligently designed, make sense based on the personality and backstory of the Cape and most of time is used intelligently. Of course Taylor gets a bit overhyped, but it was still generally good.

>t4nky: You plan on doing a sequel to Worm. How do you top it? Once you put the entire world at risk, you can’t really top it, especially the way you did it.

>Wildbow: People have frequently said that Worm is an exercise in ‘just when I thought it couldn’t be topped, Wildbow raised the bar’. I don’t think it’s impossible to take things a step further.

t4nky.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/interview-with-wildbow/

what the fuck is the absolute madman even planning on doing? how in the fuck could you take it a step further in any concibable way?

>Based off his tips for writing a web serial post.

Source? Please?

wildbow.wordpress.com

>Tinkers explaining why Reed Richards of the universe are useless
Mind elaborating?

Oh my, thanks user!

The second one is Dauntless, not Triumph. Triumph has a lion helmet, Dauntless has the hoplite theme and electrical effects.

Apparently the endbringers were immune to contessa path to victory power...

Thanks, that is true.

Tinkers aren't you're typical super intelligent super scientists. They're more like nigh-perpetually Moody dwarves from Dwarf Fortress. They have super inspiration, and to everyone else with their late 20th / early 21st century tech it's basically impossible to understand unless you're the right tinker or thinker. Dragon works on putting the stuff that can be figured out and reproduced into mass production, but for the most part tinkertech is almost like magical artifacts. And due to the way powers work tinkertech may be intentionally blackboxed and obfuscated by the source, even to the tinker making it, so as to not be spread too widely.

Maybe the third entity comes back? Contact with alien races that also dealt with the entities, and worm 2 goes full blown space opera?

Both.

You guys been following the We've Got Worm podcast series?

I'm doing re-read pre for Worm 2 since I heard Wildbow is on the last arc of Twig. It's been pretty helpful for story analysis.

It's on Youtube.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCW6KR4MVOXaGS2KlDJzWITG0RzAJ9NLo

wildbow.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/thoughts-on-writing-serials/

I think this is the relevant blog post.

Be my guest. Better to throw this on /lit/ though.

Worm: Hard Mode.

Name these characters in order from left to right.

Aigis
Gallant
Glory Hole?
Vista
Clock
SS
KW
???
???
Worst Girl

missing two are shielder and laserdream

>worst girl

Panpan is best girl.

?, Chevalier, Glory Girl, Vista, Clockblocker, Shadow Stalker, Gallant, Aegis, ?, Panacea

Panpan is best lesbian waifu.

For someone who didn't want to pander to the lesbian waifu crowd, Wildbow sure does like the girl love.

Panpan number one.
Parian number two.

I ship Taylor/Amy.

So I finally finished Worm after seeing it posted here over and over. What a ride. Sequel coming soon, what should I do to tide it over?

Read Pact and Twig? Do they give the same feels?

Or read Worm fanfics? Any good ones out there?

Battery, Dauntless,Armsmaster, Miss Militia, dunno who the red guy is but velocity or assault by process of elimination, I can't remember if their uniforms have anything even bordering on unique about them

Cenotaph and it's sequels are probably the best Worm fanfics.

Personally I really like Twig, but Pact doesn't appeal to me so much. I feel like Wildbow is at his best when outside of his comfort zone

do not read pact unless you want a "how not to follow up worm" experience

Look at that smug-ass fucking grin and tell me it isn't Assault

idk chariot???, gallant, glory girl, vista, clockblocker, shadow stalker, kid win, shielder, laser dream, panacea

seriously who the fuck is the first guy?

in retrospect yeah

Just found it on Google, first chapter looks good so far. Anything else worth reading, or is that it?

What's wrong with Pact?

imagine worm but every single one of wildbow's biases and personal opinions on the nature of authority and his own personal grievances with the way his life was going were in it

also it's just objectively not as well written.

pact has some interesting setting building ideas in it but reading it is legitimately painful, I personally have never finished it.

You can give it a go if you want but it takes awhile for the flaws to truly become apparent iirc.

Not a comic.
Not a cartoon.
Not related to a comic.
Not related to a cartoon.

Does the author hate authorities or something?

I could believe it in Worm because no one stood up for Taylor and then she triggered. All those times where she could have talked to the superheroes and worked out her problems with them, but she didn't, because she didn't trust them... It fit her character. I didn't like it, it annoyed me to no end that she didn't talk to them, but the story showed why.

But if it's a repetitive plot point caused by the author's issues, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It reminds of books I read in the past written by Mormons or Orson Scott Card.

hating authorities might be going too far but I strongly believe wildbow has deep personal issues and that his works reflect these to greater or lesser extents

it's not just authority, it's that there always seems to be something stopping his characters from getting what they want and succeeding, it's like his entire world view revolves around divinely induced failure.

for instance in worm shitty things happen but they're interspersed with enough good things and taylor is stubborn enough that this never overwhelms the pace of the narrative and in the end they save the world.

meanwhile in pact the MC is literally karmicly destined for bad things through no fault of his own. That's an actual plot point, bad things happen to him because wildbow wrote the story that way.

It's infinitely harder to read than worm because of this

I always thought the bad shit always happening was due to the nature of how Worm was published than the author's worldview. You have to end the chapters with cliffhangers so the readers come back. You have to keep putting the characters in the Danger Zone because the readers care and need to know if they make it out. It's cheap, but it works if you need your clicks, and the readers who follow the story reading a chapter or two per week don't truly get a sense of how fucked the tension/pacing is.

Now that I know it's partly or fully due to the author, it's really making me think. I heard the author is deaf and that's why there's not much in the way of sounds being described compared to visual descriptions of stuff.

Pact doesn't sound like something I want to read... I never liked books where the MC only exists for the universe to shit on them. Is Twig good? I always see it on the top web fiction list.

I've never read twig but for what it's worth everyone who likes worm and doesn't like pact loves twig, so idk, go for it.

I think pact was maybe him working something out of his system? Or maybe he learnt the lesson from it? Who knows. wildbow himself has said that pact is his weakest project so far I think

I think it's Aegis?
All the rest of the Wards are there. Except for Browbeat, but who the fuck cares about Browbeat.

I think it's the fact that he worked on Worm for years before publishing it.

Aegis
Chevalier
Glory hole
Vista
Cockblocker
Shadow stalker
Kid win
?
?
Panacea

Aegis
Gallant
Glory Girl
Vista
Clockblocker
Shadow Stalker
Kid Win
Shielder
Laserdream
Panacea

It's the wards and the kids from new wave you dips, there's a reason why they're all around the same height.

I'll probably read Twig before Pact in that case. I'm not a bunch fan of body horror/gore genre, but if Window can deliver on good characters that give me strong feels like Worm did, I can get into that.

I'm 6 chapters in and I'm loving Cenotaph. The beginning is unexpected but this is really good. The sad part is that I will probably burn through this over the weekend, it's that interesting.

Any other fanfic recommendations?

>more interested on how to make web serials work for personal projects
yep
I've been thinking about posting my stuff as a web serial/novel/whateverthefuck but I'm not sure
how long should updates be?

each update should be at least a few thousand words otherwise why bother updating?

It's important to stick to a schedule you can actually keep, if you tell yourself you're going to update every week but you make every update 5,000 words then you'll fuck yourself, even if it seems insignificant, sticking to something is better than not.

Depends on how often you plan to update. Most weekly web serials are 5k a week. If you're posting twice a week, you can get away with shorter chapters.

Anything with less than 10k/month I won't bother with unless it's a well known serial/author and the story has a big backlog archive.

cool, my stuff should be around 4k-5k so it should be alright for weekly
I'll think about it

There are two sequels to Cenotaph.

You got my interest user. I'll take a look.

I'm nearly halfway done with Cenotaph, the sequels will last me all of the weekend. Anything else worth reading?

Is Amelia any good? It has a lot of reviews.

On Amelia it depends on the reader.
There's also Silencio.
And the Crisis of Taylor Hebert.
forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-crisis-of-taylor-hebert.304815/

The primordial triggers after it sees it's sibling die and gets bonesaw's shard.

What fleshy wonders does it create?

What happens?

Amelia is by a author that can't help but shit on Wildbow at every chance. Plus they love Bonesaw, flanderise a bunch of characters, bad romance stuff and wank powers massively so they can crow about how competent their characters are.

Your best bet might just be asking on the SB misc Worm thread for recs. They have posters there that read a ton of them.

Yet Sup Forums is allowed, despite being so far removed from the source material it's not even funny.