Can someone explain to me what the fuck I just watched...

Can someone explain to me what the fuck I just watched? Was this some kind of anti-natalist message or some shit about man's conflicting desires, or am I reading too much into it? I feel like there has to be a meaning to this and I am sure there are enough pretentious faggots on here that one of them can explain this film to me.

L

I believe young David was working out his thoughts on marriage/fatherhood.

2deep4me bro

That's what I figured. Some parts of it like the man pulling the levers and the meteor make no sense to me. The radiator lady is the paradise and the fact that he kills his baby at the end then gets to embrace her, just seems a bit odd to me. I did like the baby though, it reminded me of real birth defects, and the urban decay was really well done too.

Basically yes, it's about fatherhood and the fears of man.

What was the point of the pencil part, though? And some of the other weird shit like his GF's mom licking his neck?

It was a movie about the fears and trepidations that encompass men when faced with fatherhood. It wasn't anti-natalist, nor was it about conflicting desires, it was just about the overwhelming, heart-pounding, all-consuming, over-whelming fear that one gets when one discovers he's to become a father unexpectedly.

Surrealist Horror movie built around fears of parenthood. It's all "adult fears" rather than spooky guy in a mask chasing you.

Alright that makes sense. I just watched the malmrose projects analysis of it on youtube, and maybe it goes a little too far into it but it is a good analysis and it does confirm the feeling I got from the film.

YNCHED
Y
N
C
H
E
D

got lynched bro

>Was this some kind of anti-natalist message or some shit about man's conflicting desires, or am I reading too much into it?
it's about the horror of becoming a father

>Can someone explain to me what the fuck I just watched?
a visual display of artistic ideas built around a loose plot. Explainfags are the worst.

what did the radiator represent? I dont understand why it got a long drawn out shot

The radiator is just a dreamlike fixation. It could be anything. In dreams something completely innocuous could be given an importance. The Lady in the Radiator, if representing anything at all, is Henry's dream showing him his desire for a girl-next-door type of lover instead of the wife that doesn't really seem to care about him. Dreams, if they ever show anything relating to real life in a discernible pattern, show just what's on you mind as of lately. So Henry has an ideal woman on his mind.
Overall, if you're watching Eraserhead for some sort of heady "meaning" you're watching it for the wrong reason. Lynch is clearly not trying to pass any particular thoughts nor is he trying to really make you think about something. It's just art.

Malmrose's video is very good but I feel like she has too negative a view of Henry's character. She sees him as acting selfishly and irresponsibly which isn't really the type of character I feel like Lynch was going for with him. I generally think a lot of Eraserhead should be taken at face value rather than be seen as a direct metaphor. We should accept that the baby really is a malevolent monster / alien creature, that there really is a dancing lady in his radiator and that the chickens really did menstruate.

Who was in the wrong here?

>she
That was a woman talking?

yeah but there was motivation to how it was made, whether conscious on unconscious on the part of the creator.

Transwoman. Let's not derail the thread with this.

Just Lynch seeing what he can get away with when he was starting out. Inland Empire is a whole movie of Lynch seeing what he can get away with.

>urban decay
Oh no, factories are dirty!
Oh no, your agricultural land got rezoned for industry and just doubled in value. You might have to MOVE!!!
Oh no, poorfags who shit out babies stay poor!

Lynch is a fucking GENIUS

Lynch is a hack. That's about it.

If you think Eraserhead is a condemnation of industrialization and urbanization you don't get Lynch's sensibilities. He likes all of that stuff. He outright stated that he would like to live in the world of Eraserhead, at least for a while. It's nostalgic to him.

>The radiator lady is the paradise and the fact that he kills his baby at the end then gets to embrace her, just seems a bit odd to me
It's more like she represents his temptation to escape from being a father. I think it makes sense if you look at it that way.

remember that lynch began as a graphical arts painter -- he puts down images that evoke emotions -- there's not always a "plot line" but there are common themes; he is also drawn to the grotesque and the visceral, and dream image -- there isn't necessarily a concrete meaning that can be expressed beyond the medium that you see