Star Wars current canon is dogshit

>Star Wars current canon is dogshit.

EU was a million times better. Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuuke_Skywalker
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Frankly I agree. Everyone shits on the EU, and often with goo reason, but nothing in the reboot has been any better or justified jettisoning it.

>TFW
>Good story

Ur funny kid.

*TFA

>Chewie doesn't die
>Han does instead
I'm still pissed.

He never said it was good, just better than 90% of the shit fest that was the EU

I know right? Chewie's death was genuinely sad and made sense. Could you imagine if they had adapted Jacen into the movies?

>Tfw you'll never have a scene of Darth Caedus destroying four Jedi confronting him at once.

>Disney shills coming up with an incoherent piece of shit and calling it a story
>it...it's better than the EU!

Yeah, right. Maybe if the writers of TFA spent another fifty years writing, they might be able to come up with a story even somewhat comparable to the EU stories.

What's the big deal about Force Awakens anyway? What was so bad about it?

Its good to know that Sup Forums is here to ruin the entire board, not just Wondy threads

it was new, popular, made tons of money, had a critical success, and is still shilled more than a year later by causal fans

that is a surefire way to be hated on Sup Forums

It's a New Hope with brown people.

>no dass jennir
>no luke and kyle
>old comics aren't canon
Star Wars died when Disney came along

Rehash of IV, boring protagonists, too focused on setting up sequels, and very safe and phoned in.

With that said, the EU was a complete clusterfuck, and I'm glad its gone.

No it was pure shit used by pretentious who read some shitty pleb tier litterature or played some vidyas and were constantly bitching about their revan or their thrawn who exist only on their shitty fanfictions.

You know, ive discovered that many of the people who want to go with "the EU was a million times better" or something along those lines. Didnt really read much of the old EU. The reality is there was maybe a dozen novels, novel series or comic series worth a damn in the old EU. Out of how many there were, it was maybe like10% of all old EU was good.

What were the notable ones?

The most twisted shit I heard it's when they started to pretending their fanfictions are better than the movies.
And when it's not the books or comics it's about vidyas, the KOTORfags need to chill out with their fucking revan.

At least the EU had a few gems amidst the mountains of ass.

NuCanon has nothing at all redeemable and I don't think it'll ever provide anything worth removing the whole EU for.

new jedi order, LOTF, FOTJ, Crucible. TOTJ and surrounding series, Heir, Dark Empire, Republic, a handful of others.

NJO and Thrawn would be perfect were it not for Mara "Feminist Propaganda" Jade.

Ive found most of the new novels to be pretty damn good. Not all, but most. And the Vader, SW, Lando comics were great.

Well... it does not take much to outdo the PT. Ill agree that a few series did the SW name justice more than TCW bullshit... and Legacy of the Force was the PT done correctly.

I agree with it to an extent, but people have rose colored glasses about the old EU, 80% of it could at best be described as mediocre.

I hated that Mary Sue bitch.

.... i mean.... i never got a hint of "feminist propaganda" with Mara jade, but whatever. If youre going to apply this absurd idea to every single time you see a well written female character there is nothing i can do to stop it.

No. Star Wars died when George made the shit prequels, and disregarded the EU.

>well written
>hi im mara jade a strong independent woman who dont need no man (FUCK YOU LUKE I HATE YOU) im super badass at everything i graduated top of my class at assassin school and no one bullied me and i became the emperor's favorite person i was his best bodyguard because im the toughest person in the galaxy no one can harm me but FUCK YOU if you think so im not a bitch i just hate everyone especially LUKE (marry me luke)
>like: punk rock, goth bands, being awesome lol, kicking ass, feminism, beating up everyone else, myself
>dislikes: men, LUKE, not being badass (im always badass though lol), poser prep music, my mom

He asked what was wrong with TFA user not RoTJ

There was a lot of bad in the EU, but when there was good, it was insanely good. And that good is better than anything Disney has produced so far.

It's the Superman Returns of Star Wars films but was successful at the box office.

>everything is canon, no matter how retarded or how much it contradicts itself
>surely a million different spinoffs, games, comics and books written by a million different writers will be a consistent, enjoyable canon

How is this not the dumbest fucking idea ever?

>Chewie dies after a (wookie's) lifetime of achievements and battles
>SW fans: Nuuuh! Why you kill Chewie? Undo it, Undo it!!!

>Han dies like a bitch at the hands of his edgy son
>SW fans: Meh, it can't be helped

Funny that you mention Thrawn, because everyone was shitting on him ("lol, art appraising") and now that he is in that cgi show, everyone is sucking his blue dick.

>Funny that you mention Thrawn, because everyone was shitting on him

What are you talking about?
There has never been a time since the release of the Heir books where people did praise how great of a character he was.

Oh, you know, when that Legends thingy happened and everyone turned their backs at the EU to suck Disney's cock, shitting on everything that wasn't made by Lucas (yes, defending the prequels too).

Im not sure what you were paying attention to, but i remember people flipping that they erased the old EU with most people citing how great they thought the Heir series was. Then, mostly nothing about Thrawn (aside from people asking Disney to bring him back) until they decided to bring him back.In fact, i cannot remember seeing one single person ever suggest Thrawn was a bad character.

>mara fucking jade
CAEDUS LITERALLY DID NOTHING WRONG

BITCH TRIED TO MURDER HIM AND HE KILLED HER IN SELF DEFENSE

FUCK MARA JADE

only because there were a few bright spots in the sea of shit that was old EU, while new EU is nothing but shit

except TCW

Didn't the EU have that stupid fucking story were Han and chewie crashed on earth and have their ship discovered centuries later by Indiana jones

I completely disagree. There were way more worthwhile books than there were crap. The kids books were pretty good, all of the Rogue squadron books are good, and I'd say that the vast majority of the comics are good. The super dumb things are pretty rare in the EU because contrary to popular belief most of the EU writers were experienced.

Karen Traviss can go die though.

>NJO
>LOTF
>FOTJ
>Crucible
>good
wew fucking lad

Oh yes who could forget about Luuuuuuuuuuuke

most of the novels were trash, the only good ones were Thrawn trilogy, Shatterpoint, and the X-wing novels

Fate of the Jedi amd crucible are shit, New Jedi order is good, and Legacy of the force was at least fun to read up until the last volume.

>Shatterpoint
Opinion discarded.

there's literally two good NJO books and surprise they're stealth X-wing books

Wrong.

Disagree. The Corran one was good, and everything from Star by Star on was good. The rest weren't even bad, just a little boring. Rogue planet was also good although it technically wasn't part of the series.

>Rogue squadron
You mean the xwing series?
I mean...... there's a couple that are good, the rest are fairly mediocre. Which is exactly what i said, only a handful of the EU series was great.
As for the "super dumb" things... really? The old EU between ANH and the end of Jedi was a timeline disaster and filled with like 500 comics and half a dozen novels that were mostly trash.
A large chunk of the post RORJ up until NJO, was pretty bad. Darksabre, Truce, Court, Jedi Prince series, young jedi series, .Corellian Trilogy, black fleet crisis.

Again, people have rose color glasses with the old EU. I listed some amazing series in my previous post and those series make up like 7% of whats out there. Dont underestimate how much EU is out there and most of it is at best, at super best, mediocre. Much of it complete shit.

The EU was a mess, with hundreds of different novels in different states of canonization with a good 60% being trash, 30% of meh and 10% of genuinely good stuff.
Plus just because it isn't cannot doesn't mean you cant still read and enjoy that book or whatever. I love the Thrawn trilogy and am happy they aren't going to adapt it to film because it would just make fans more mad because they would screw it up.
The new EU is however is pathetically weak, another mess that is only going to be made more messy as they put more layers of cheese and garbage on it.
I'm letting Star Wars go, let the normies have it.

It pretty much reset everything back into Empire Vs. Rebels. The Jedi are dead, again. The New Government is weak and ineffectual once again and pretty much all the wins the New Republic has in the Original Trilogy is burned to the ground.

Disney thought that by going forward in Star Wars, you had to fucking kill all the accomplishments in the OT.

Really makes the ending in Return of the Jedi harsh and worthless in hindsight.

Jacen is terrible, and so is Ben Solo

>Han dies

Should have killed Lia since her actress died.

they weren't really expecting Carrie Fisher to die

Get a load of user, here.

>with every new film the set becomes a little lonelier for Mark.

>why are there so many children on this set
>my feet hurt
>check out my beard
>fucking Harrison
>why couldn't I have had a line in the last movie
>I thought I was Rogue One
>where's Carr- aw

has it right, the EU was mostly trash but dumping it for another dumpster fire satisfies exactly no one.
>I'm letting Star Wars go, let the normies have it.
Same, I'll keep an extremely casual interest in it but I'm not going full hog on comics, novels, games, or even memorabilia/collectibles anymore.

>Ditch the EU for a fresh start without all the nonsense
>First thing they add to the canon is Starkiller Base which is more ridiculous than the Suncrusher

Thanks JJ

Reminder the EU had that retarded story about Emperor Palpatine coming back as a clone.

I doubt they could have got Ford involved unless Han died.

>which is more ridiculous than a starfighter that can destroy solar systems

Hm...

My first foray into SW, long before the movies. Plus the art was cool in DE 1 and 2. I still like it.

Correct

That sounds more rad than most EU stuff.

Why is that retarded?
Does it not seem perfectly rational that the Emperor would do this?

>old eu suffered from overuse of superweapons of the week
>what if we took them all and boiled them down into one cancerous superweapon to rule them all
>fucking genius

It came out years before the prequels. Before the Chosen One shit it wasn't too bad. But since Annie is the Chosen One he has to be the one to stop him forever.

Which is why retreading the same shit in Luke's lifetime is thrice retarded.

They could have done TFA a century later with completely unrelated people and only the old actors would have been gone, but audiences want their nostalgia fap with the actors.

Well, then you clearly didn't read much of the EU anyway.

At the very least, you never read the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Worst offense was removing this glorious fucker.

Right, but again, its perfectly in line with how you would expect the emperor to be even before the PT. Why wouldnt someone like that who lived during the clone wars, do this?

And lets stop th e"chosen one" nonsense, its stupid its never had a place in SW and... its retarded. And as you said, was brought in for the PT.

Id also like to point out that there was a special edition DE TPB that included a seperate book that had original art, blah blah blah but also an interview with GL where he actually stated that DE was pretty much what he envisioned if there was a 7.

This is very very true

True. Proof:

I don't really care. I'm just glad Star Wars is still about.

The old EU, just like the new one, had plenty of both good and bad, and a lot of it comes down to subjective tastes, so it's not worth arguing about. However, the problem was that overall it was a clusterfuck, a huge mess which, while some good authors tried to upkeep and organize, others only fucked up further. As a result, you had tons of contradictions (there was literally a dozen of different accounts on how the rebels stole the Death Star plans), half the characters and their grandmother turned out to be Force-sensitives who either used to be Jedi or would go on to be trained as Jedi (despite being well into adulthood) or in other way extraordinary, alien species were stereotyped (every Hutt must look like Jabba and every Twi'lek must look like Bib), etc. Not to mention endless Luuuukes and over-the-top superweapons. And it all got so vast and uncontrolled that a lot of it just didn't spiritually and thematically fit with the original movies anymore: you got pretty controversial things like the Vong or Gray Jedi, and while, again, it all comes down to personal preferences, this isn't what Star Wars is supposed to be like, and that's why a lot of people shit on these concepts. I've read a fair amount of the old EU, and I really enjoyed most of it, but looking back at it now I'm glad they decided to take it down and start anew, with the idea of coherence, a story group and everything.

Their big mistake, however, was giving their very first new movie to JJ and giving him too much freedom. Not wanting to take risks or acknowledge that anything but the OT exists, he went for the blandest carbon copy of ANH possible, at the same time rendering the finale of the OT pointless (Luke is a failure and the rebel victory over the Empire doesn't matter), and outright shitting on the story group, almost creating continuity errors in the very first sequel movie. TLJ and the new EU stories are now doing damage control, but what's done is done.

Anyone have links of the weirdest bits of the old EU?
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuuke_Skywalker

I've got this article on chairs that's split into canonical depictions of chairs and Non-canon ones.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chair

Only Dark Forces/Shadows Of The Empire material was worth saving.

#notmydeathstarplanstealers
#praiseXizor

Your Gary Stu is overrated.

EU remained Empire VS Rebels for a lifetime.

Fel fucking Empire.

On one hand EU had lower lows, on the other hand I fucking hate Kylo Ren.
>b-but he's supposed to suck, that makes him interesting
I hate this trend.

Oops, didn't mean to reply to anyone.

Actually his name is Kyle Katarn.

It really wasn't. And that's not because current canon is particularly great.

>and disregarded the EU
He was never under obligation to do so. Not when he was doing the prequels, nor when he was doing The Clone Wars. That's why the entire layered system of canon existed, Lucas had his own vision of the Star Wars universe, and if your fanfiction didn't fit into it, that's your problem.

>while new EU is nothing but shit except TCW

Lost Stars
A New Dawn
Rogue fucking One and its prequel, Catalyst
Lando, Kanan, and overall the new comics aren't so bad
Rebels, not as good as TCW, but decent enough

bumping because this needs to be discussed more.

Nah, he wasn't removed. He's just hiding-presumably in the Unknown Regions after chasing Jaidan and the worst Stormtroopers on the planet.

The only saving garce of TFA was Harrison Ford playing Han Solo one last time. He was the best part (with small cameo of R2-D2), otherwise it was pretty meh.
And Ben Solo was a terrible, terrible character. Too bad he didn't inherit Han and Leia's superior genes, but instead Anakin's complete lameness.

He was the OG death star plan nabber though.

still better than kylo ren

>Old EU
Orgasm-inducing mutant hutts

>New EU
Sheev Palpatine

It's a bit of a toss-up.

How many different people stole the Death Star Plans and designed the Death Star in the clusterfuck that was the EU? Because iirc it was a lot.

>cancel the EU because its a contradictory mess and its hard to follow
>Promise to release a new unique coherent common universe that is closely guided, edited and managed by a single group
>literally only 3 books in and some comics and its already a contradictory mess!

He really wasn't.

About a dozen, there was an article somewhere, I don't have the link right now tho

Fake news.

Literally the first level of dark forces.

He wasn't the original DS plans stealer. Dark Forces was neither the first nor the last acount to show the plans theft. It's all a mess.

What was the first? Inb4 bothans.