Dr. Strange is really underrated

>watching this on Netflix for first time
>avoided it cause Sup Forums told me its just Iron Man 1
>its nothing alike, Iron Man 1 is about a literal merchant of death realizing the error of his ways and using his his mind to save his life
>Dr. Strange is about an arrogant, desperate man learning there is a world beyond himself and forging relationships with others
>Dr. Strange even stands out from most of the MCU by barely having any quips, a distinct visual style and the villain being defeated in a clever way

These movies are barely alike in anything other than broad, superficial aspects. Even the romance angles are very different.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SWAkEQxPjPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It pisses me off that Strange is another quipfag but yeah the movie it's alright.

Dormammu could've been better, too.

>It pisses me off that Strange is another quipfag
He's not though. I literally just finished watching it. There are like 3 jokes from the whole character. No one even finds him funny.

Please don't tell me you got triggered from the Beyonce thing.

>Dr. Strange is really underrated
Horrifically overrated you mean. It managed to make dr. strange extremely generic and boring and so by the numbers, it was obnoxious.

The only thing that pisses me off from this movie is the lack of proper magic. Everything else was decent to good. I just fucking hate the lasso-fu they came up with.

>Iron Man is about an arrogant, desperate man learning there is a world beyond himself and forging relationships with other
I mean, before he was kidnapped Pepper was just secretary to him and Rhodey was just Terrence Howard.

Even Iron Man 2 is about Tony learning to understand why his dad behaved like he did.

Lol is this your first day on the job? This is blatant shilling.

>liking something is shilling
we have long ago reached the point where we are suspicious of any positive reaction to any piece of media, and can only understand hatred towards anything

Everything is science silly, even magic is just hacking the source code of the universe.

It was good. But I felt the animated one did it better

i actually like that, it has a very DnD-ish explanation to magic, that there are fundamental truths to the universe that proper study and practice can help you unravel for super effects

>by the numbers
>doesn't end in a giant action scene
>ends with a conversation
What?

Any time someone here says anything negative about MCU kino assume it's another butthurt DCuck.

The story line was better in this one. The build up was better too. The live action film had a better final act though, and better visuals.

maybe by "like iron man 1" they just meant "good"?? dr strange was certainly the first marvel movie i've enjoyed since iron man 1.

I strongly disagree with this. The sister felt like just a plot device, not the heart of the story.

Except that was a giant action. With CG and colors out the ass, shill.

Bullshit. This is a giant action scene. Just because it uses CGI mean it's an action scene
youtu.be/SWAkEQxPjPs

It's literally the magic version of the green lantern movie from 2008. Prove me wrong.

Green Lantern the movie came out in 2011. The Green Lantern DTV, First Flight, came out in 2009.

Checkmate, atheist.

I think its overrated

thank china for saving it yet again

So are we going to ignore the many times Dormmamu killed Strange and Strange fighting him off?

It's a fucking action scene you stupid shill.

I didn't like it because they made it not really magic. Just science we don't yet understand.

The Beyonce thing was pretty bad though

> one of the themes is the importance of time and patience
> Strange barely practices at all

Completely took me out of the movie

What's the difference?

I took the punchline of that joke as Wong just sandbagging Strange's increasingly lame attempts at humor. It felt like the joke was supposed to fall flat.

Maybe I was just reading too much into it.

>calling an overrated movie underrated

>I didn't like it because they made it not really magic. Just science we don't yet understand.
you're thinking about Thor

Dr. Strange straight up says its magic.

>it's an user doesn't know how magic works in the MU episode

They made magic as a type of mystical science, exactly as it is on Dr. Strange comics.

Shit taste.

They literally say they gather power from different dimensions to create magic. That's basically how it works in the comics. Or did you think Strange calling other entities names was just to look sound stylish?

wut

Like that was the entirety of the 2nd act. Shit, he was still learning up till the climax and isn't even the actual sorcerer supreme yet, which personally I really liked. It allows that arc to continue.

It's not good, but it's at least better than the live action flick.
I like that he trained in a matter of 6 months or so. The sling ring thing was fucking stupid. And the humor was probably the worst yet.

the real terrible joke was when Wong laughs at the end. Then the joke goes from plausibly being that Strange isn't really funny with the "did the people who laugh work for you?" line to "Wong has a weird sense of humor and laughs at the wrong things"

Idk, just felt like in one scene he couldn't do magic and the next he was just doing it

I felt like it needed a scene of him "getting it" you know?

I thought the scene of him getting it was when she left him on Everest. Might have been a bit better if Mordo actually had to rescue him the first time though. Even the Matrix with its literal Jesus character had him fail the first jump and lose the sparring match against Morpheus

That's what you would call "pacing" issues.

In that regard I agree with that. The training montage was very short and it felt as if he became extremely good in magic in just a few days.

I kind of like Wong being a warrior-Bodhisattva type who laughs at evil being destroyed good though ngl

>implying
Beyonce is by far the worse.

Wong laughing at the end actually made me chuckle.

He had a scene where he learned that magic was a thing, and at the climax of the movie he only knew a few spells. Between those he had a scene of him learning to use each of the spells he knew individually. I don't know what you want.
There WAS a big jump where he was seemingly much more powerful in the scene with Thor but that should hardly matter.

Not to mention that even in his fight against Kaecilius he was struggling with magic (i.e. his summoned shields malfunctioning) and the Cloak ended up saving his ass.
There's a reason he didn't outright become the Sorcerer Supreme at then end of the film.

>Wong spends the entire movie being stoic and straight faced about everything.
>at the end he suddenly laughs

It was, and mind you I don't say this lightly, the most predictable and unfunny joke of the entire MCU

Did Wong shat on your cereal this morning?

I'm watching it now. It's a pretty bad movie but it's got cool visuals.

5/10 watch on Netflix.

no, that joke was just really fucking bad. Wong was fine outside of that

I straight up forgot this movie existed until this post.

You seem really butthurt by that joke though. I can understand you not liking it, but the worse in the whole MCU? That's just silly.

It's the only joke I can think of off the top of my head where I literally knew exactly what joke they were going to do before it happened. Some of them were boring, or ruined the tone of the scene or something, but it's like the movie read my mind and gave me the exact joke I was already hoping they wouldn't do there

he got lucky with the defibrillator too

was Strange the most outmatched hero of the MCU?

>most MCU heroes face a villain with an Infinity Stone or some other super powerful forceor almost unbeatable plan
>still beat the shit out of them while drpping quips in the Meantime
>Strange is the one with the infinity stone in his movie
>still couldn't win the fight and had to find another way to get the enemy to leave

You must not see many movies then because setting up jokes is something very common. The joke itself is one of the oldest cliches around.
It was done nicely, like I said i got a chuckle out of me, and yes I also saw it coming from a mile ahead.
Maybe you just like your jokes sudden and random? but it certainly wasn't the worst in the MCU. Is setting up a joke that much of a sin for you?

Its a fairly average MCU with quips

of course Sup Forums is going to hate it

If you know exactly what the punch line is as soon as the setup starts, the joke is bad. Do you disagree?

Yes, but Kaecilius was just fucking incompetent.
>master of the mystic arts alluded by everybody to be incredibly powerful gets his ass handed to him by a newbie and Aladdin's rug

Strange fighting Dormammu I completely agree. Even Star-Lord got into a DBZ fistfight with Ego.

Yeah, as long the execution is decent and in this case it was.

>lvl 4 sorcerer with a reset button vs. a god on his own plain.
Yeah, pretty outclassed.

What was good about the execution? Wong becomes known for not laughing, and then he laughs. That's literally it. What's worse, when he does laugh, the laugh is super exaggerated and the entire scene comes to a halt to focus on it. There's no subtlety, there's no comedic timing, there's no subversion of expectations unless you mean the expectations of a toddler being introduced to humor for the first time.

The movie made a massive mistake by explicitly stating that everything Strange does is in the year 2016. Dude's Sorcerer fucking Supreme in a year. The entire point that The Ancient One makes about years of training and practice and reading is completely undone by the end of the movie. Strange is just inhumanly competent at magic, and any other masters of the art can suck a dick.
And it's not like it needs to take place that far in the past. Just put the outset of the movie 2014 or so and then have a timeskip to 2016. It would even explain the gray streaks that he doesn't have in the beginning of the movie. But don't just have him master that shit easily, give me a reasonable amount of time that I can believe this man can learn fucking sorcery.

>alluded by everybody to be incredibly powerful
I only recall them saying he was dangerous, not powerful. Dude was a cult leader with followers willing to die for his cause, not the sorcerer supreme.

>Dude's Sorcerer fucking Supreme in a year.

agreed with most of your post but he didn't become Sorcerer Supreme at the end

but he isn't the sorcerer supreme yet

>>avoided it cause Sup Forums

Well that's where you went wrong. Don't listen to Sup Forums. Some of these guys are clearly idiots. The same people that will call BvS "kino" and claim it's an intelligent film simply because they don't want to acknowledge the reality that there might be a bad Batman film

Then who the fuck is, if not him?
Because he's the dude who's having sitdowns with Thor, and keeping the Infinity Stone under protection.

Wong literally says at the end

>earth has no Sorcerer Supreme

he's having a sitdown with Thor because he's been given the New York sanctum but he's not the supreme yet

The way he did laugh which was funny. The moment they decided to pull it off after the heated battle that nearly destroys the world. The sudden shift in tone. I'm not saying it was the best joke in the world, but certainly it wasn't the worst ever, not even the worst of the movie it was in.
What I find really funny is that somehow it made you THIS buttblasted just because it was predictable when in reality it was completely harmless.
Maybe Wong really did shat on your cereal this morning and then annoyingly laughed.

He was part of the Masters of course he was powerful plus he had Dormammu's power up at his disposal.

I find it funny that you're trying to insinuate this joke ruined my life simply because I said it was the worst joke in the movie

>just because it was predictable

Predictable humor is bad humor. I guess we're just never going to see eye to eye on this if we disagree on this basic premise

>when in reality it was completely harmless

I agree. Would you care to point out a joke that wasn't harmless?

The end of the Ancient One's nose is weird and distracting.
Every other character in the movie is even more smug than Benadryl Cumberthunder. Almost all the dialogue is one character patronizing another.
Gah.

You're confused. It's magic, it has a basis in science, and in Kamar Taj they seem to understand it

Well, I never implied that, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else thought it, after all you're making such a big deal of a simple joke.
>Predictable humor is bad humor.
Not really, but I do agree that we won't reach a common ground.
>Would you care to point out a joke that wasn't harmless?
Sure, my dude. Omelet, "in retrospective", and every other joke Ultron did which made his character come off as weak and diminished him as a threat despite him orchestrating the extinction of humanity. The "you didn't see it comink" which seems like it was the whole reason for Quicksilver's death since no one has brought it up ever again.
For a lot of people "Dance off, bro" is this, not myself though. And that's only for the MCU.

Both of them are just standard hero's journey tales with different specifics. But then again, that's what most superhero origin movies are.

The specifics are way too similar but that's the source material fault.

It's a marvel movie, it's generic and boring and so by the numbers inherently.

>he didn't understand it

>snydercuck still trying to bait people
it's over, scum, based Wondy finally showed everybody the piece of shit BvS was.

Except the source material is nothing like Iron Man.

You're right.

Iron Man is extremely similar as the source material.

>0.50 mousebucks have been deposited to your account

People sometimes like to minimize how many elements Lee contributed to his collaborated works, but here we have a clear case where the common thread is Lee's involvement in the characters' creation, and both stories are about a moustached jerk who is humbled or brought low by something, and has to find it in himself to become a hero.

I wonder where he got his ideas from.

The sad thing is that Wonder Woman also had better imagery.

BvS was seriously disappointing to the point where a movie starring Gal Gadot blew it out of the water with no effort whatsoever.

Your pic is just sad.

Working as a shill spamming imageboards is also a sad state of affairs.

wtf I liked Wong's laughter because it perfectly fit the kind of humor a librarian would have when someone references something about the books he studied that he too noticed and was annoyed by

Then why you do it?

>people disliked Dr. House as a superhero

feels bad man, I actually avoided the movie for a while since I thought mixing mystic shit with iron man and scientifically explained world would just ruin it all but then on a whim I watched it and found my favorite superhero in the entire MCU

Snyder's superhero movies are arthurian legends that need to be cherished. People don't appreciate them because of the constant smear campaign by paid marvel shills, like you.
I will help the world understand.

Snyder's movies are pretentious shit. For fuck's sake there was nearly 30 minutes of dream sequence in SvsB

>>Dr. Strange is about an arrogant, desperate man learning there is a world beyond himself and forging relationships with others

That is literally Iron Man 1 all over again.

>"yes, i am a shill" said the Snyderfag
kek

I don't even like Marlel.

>hugh laurie is too old to play capeshit

t.brainlet

Hugh Laurie would make a rad supervillan though, even without the american accent

>yet another white male villain
Let's have him in the black panther movie, why not. Let just let mandingo take our wives while we're at it.

>brits
>white

stop being triggered Sup Forums, he has the range to play a great villan or anti-hero at best, I cant see him playing a goody two shoes white bread hero without it being cringe

why dont we just make an all dark skin team of villans to fight the white good guys just to jerk off r/the_donald

Got you senpai.

>Thor 4: The Wrecking Hood