ITT: characters who would make better companions than Ashi

ITT: characters who would make better companions than Ashi.

You have to strike off everyone who can't scream a time portal into existence. Have to cram that deus ex machina in.

Reminder that jack could have gone back in time 50 years earlier if he'd just jumped into portal those monks helped him find, instead of running back to rescue them even though they'll cease to exist and won't need rescuing once the future is undone

You don't know what Deus Ex is.

I still like the idea of Scaramouche swapping roles with Ashi.
>Jack goes through a T2-style character arc where he learns to find compassion for Aku's robot minions, some of whom are built to think and feel just like anyone else - but are treated more or less like dispensable appliances, pitied by no one, with only one impossible-to-fulfill purpose in life (killing Jack/pleasing Aku)
>Ashi becomes the typical daughter-of-a-demon bitch villainess after Jack massacres all of her sisters, and becomes the deadpan joke character unsuccessfully navigating through a world she doesn't understand to deliver unto Aku the message that Jack's lost his sword

this would have been fucking amazing

wow you sound really smart did you think on that all by yourself?

It's funny, you make it sound like something really easy to figure out (because it absolutely is) and yet somehow Genndy completely overlooked it.

Fucking this desu.
the wolf had more personality than ashi and it never said a word

There's no point in this because literally EVERYONE could've done ashi's job of not making jack commit sudoku.
Imagine if scaramouche for some unknown reason decided "heh that samurai dude ain't all too bad maybe i'll help him with aku" it would have the same effect ashi had.
God what a fucking mistake of a character

user, I think it's time we talked...

Came here to post this.

Same thing with the dick rocket.

He just had to chill, for a minute and retcon the wasp bots murdering Rocker bros.

Its a shame none of those dudes mentioned a bit of time travel theroy to poor jack.

Sure, tell me the wolf's personality and why it's so much better than Ashi's.

Yeah, no.

Except he did not. If you remember the original seasons you'll see that both Jack and Aku have had victory at the claps of their hands on various occasions and have managed to get fucked over because of their constant affiliation to good and evil respectively. Jack's honor and niceness has fucked him over not as usually as Aku's need to be a dick, but still a few times.

>There's no point in this because literally EVERYONE could've done ashi's job of not making jack commit sudoku.

Not everyone

>He just had to chill, for a minute and retcon the wasp bots murdering Rocker bros.

Pretty sure that if the rocket exploded he wouldn't have been able to go back in time.

This is true.

>seaman episode
>Aku literally has Jack on his grasp and could've killed him right then and there
>the seamen asked Aku to keep up his part of the deal, which isn't even a grandiose one, just "can we just live above sea"
>Aku tells them to fuck off
>the seamen then rebel against him and save Jack

That ticked me off more than anything Jack has done.

Same thing happened to Aku when he decided to break Jack's heart disguised as Ikra. He could have let him drown in the sandpits, but he pulled him out just to see his face when he discovered she had been Aku all along.
Or when Aku chose to kill Jack with his own sword instead of keeping it away from him and just massacring him in the cemetery.
Or more recently, when he announced to the world that he had Jack and wanted Ashi to be the one to kill him.
Aku's failures are his fault, same as Jack.

Laughed my ass off in the finale when we see the sword in the same room intact it's like lmao what an idiot haha

He's a proud embodiment of evil. He probably wanted to keep it as a trophy. Although I still don't buy that Aku can destroy the sword. Jack has deflected laser beams with the damn blade.

sure it was just kooky is all

What do you think this is, Casshern sins?!

In the same room though? How many times has Aku almost died because the sword was with reach of Jack? You'd think he'd put it away in the depths of where ever the hell he likes to burst forth from when visitors show up

dude he's an idiot

I really expected the wolf would do something more than it did. Would've been really great for jack to have a grumpy doggo following him around for a while

ashifags gettin mad at the truth

Well, Jack was going to die in a couple of minutes; it's not like he was going to keep the together.
And speaking of circumstances, he had Jack defeated, broken, immobilized, with no allies in sight and convinced no one would bother to come for him.

No he's pure evil. Close, but not quite the same

>butthurt antiashifag because his shtiposting thread has been derailed

Hey its that dog

He's been that before, and Aku has only embarrassing memories to show for it. You'd think he'd start getting paranoid

Aku's immortal; he's beyond learning at this point. At least he didn't try to execute Jack with his own sword again.

>You'd think he'd put it away in the depths of where ever the hell he likes to burst forth from when visitors show up
Why would he put the only thing that can hurt him in the same place where he chills? That's like a teacher confiscating a thumb tack from some kid, and then proceeding to bring it home and hiding it in his own bed just to be sure the kid wouldn't get it back. Aku's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's probably smart enough to avoid killing himself by sitting on a magic sword after he misplaced it in some dark hole.

Can the sword actually hurt him if it's not wielded by someone? I mean, could the embodiment of evil actually die if he sat on it by mistake?

>Hide sword away where no one but you will ever get it
>Somehow manage to kill yourself because you tripped over it trying to find the bathroom
It takes a special brand of stupid for that to even be a possibility

Jack was able to seal Aku in the sword just by throwing it at him once, so I assume it could still work as long as it's still sharp and making contact with Aku's body.

He's dead, man.

and an idiot

Yeah, you're right.

The wolf was in many ways similiar to jack.
both were lone wolves(ironically) that survived on their own against an hostile world that was ready to crush them at any given moment.
like jack, the wolf too hides under a cold exterior.
like jack, the wolf actually shows compassion to him by not only not eating him and bringing him food, but by also licking his wounds, wich is a sign of care for all canids.
The wolf is a parallel to jack in almost every way:hard, intimidating exterior but warm and caring interior, he not only manages to have a personality but also manages to be a parallel to the protagonist.
that enough?

It was thrown by the will of his samurai spirit though. If it had just fallen on him after rolling off a shelf who the fuck know what would happen

Wolf is of bros and bros not for sexual

B-but i never said i wanted to see jack and the doggo fuck

I agree with those points and believe they're very well founded. Good job, user.
However, the same comparison can be made about Ashi.
They are both very similar as well.
Despite being in a group, Ashi, like her sisters, had an individual mindset. They all worked alone and never cared for any of their companions.
They have both endured incredibly hard lives and survived what the majority wouldn't have.
Ashi as was pure rage, a person behind a curtain of ire and murderous desires. Like Jack, she has a very soft side for nature and its wonders she was forced to build harshness on top off.
Ashi also shows kindness to people around her, specially Jack, keeping him safe from danger when he's at his weakest and healing his deepest emotional wounds.
In the same way, Ashi is also a magnificent reflection for Jack while still being her own character.

I don't think I've ever seen such a obvious embodiment of boring 'waifu bait' than Ashi.
The dumb bitch straight up got molded into the most bland waifu-template right in front of our eyes to be Jacks gf/cocksleeve and people actually fell for it.

If she was actually INTERESTING or FUN it would've been slightly better, but she was just such a bore to watch on screen.

She looked hotter when she was a brainwashed killer.
that haircut kicked ass

She's about as complex as Jack. More complex than Jack in the earlier seasons and about as complex as Jack in season 5. A little less.

Cut him some slack user, he's OLD.

Her being a pissy onion in contrast to Jacks coolness was fun, what a fucking waste.
The fact that the completely obvious 'The main girl and guy falls in wuv' actually happened in SJ of all things is baffling to me.
What the hell does that have to do with it?
It doesn't justify it either since she still managed to be a boring onahole.

yeah man enough with the heteronormative garbage

That's besides the point.

>What the hell does that have to do with it?
>It doesn't justify it either since she still managed to be a boring onahole.
Well, if Ashi being "bland" bothers you so much why aren't you annoyed by Jack's simplicity as well? You wouldn't watch a show whose main character you hated, right?

>The fact that the completely obvious 'The main girl and guy falls in wuv' actually happened in SJ of all things is baffling to me.

Why would it be baffling? SJ wasn't known for having original writing.

Simplicity and dullness are two different things straw-picker user.

>It's a Samurai Jack was never actually good episode

I know, but what does Ashi lack that Jack has that makes him much more interesting?

i take it you're both

I can't really see the comparasion between the two.
Ashi was more of her own thing than a similiarity to jack.
Jack never really had an individual mindset, most of the time he was ready to put other people's sake above his own.
Ashi didin't really have a soft side, she had more of a base for a soft side that was modeled by Jack.
Her curiosity for nature wasn't really a soft side, it was just that, curiosity for something alien to her.

relatable male-angst

No, I don't want to think that that user just hates Ashi because she's a women. That's childish and I expect better of him.

Cool factor.
Jack manages to be a badass by running away in his undies

love this

>3 posts out of 70
>derailed
stay in denial, ashifag, no one likes you

Why didin't cuckaku just blast the sword into the sun instead of placing it on an altar when he got it?

She is still interested in helping people and as soon as she sees the evil that Aku has unleashed she is ready to go kill him, no questions asked.
Both Jack and Ashi are very determined to fulfill their goals and they both still help those around them if they ever need it.
Ashi got over her individual mindset as well, but keep in mind that her mission to kill Jack had been disguised as a mission of good, so in a way she believed she was saving the world by killing him.
It's not only curiosity; it's admiration. She adores nature, loves it as much as Jack does, maybe even more thanks to the fact that she was deprived of it for so long.

Ashi managed to be a badass too practically naked, then mostly naked, and then fully naked.

No, but SJ was an action series. You don't see 'The main girl and guy falls in wuv' in a Stallone flick (or at least not before the finale).

Well, then it's good for me I don't care what people think about me.

Ashi lacked the beard, the shogun armor, the gun, the voice and the suicidal ghost thing.
Jacko just wins in badassery

Come on user, you know romance in action series and movies is present for the most part.

After he slaughtered a village of humans and stood there so long cheerfully singing and playing their corpses started to rot just to get Jack to come, that would never happen.

autism speaks.

Yeah. She still had the vegeta hair, the cool assassin black skin with a white mask, the chain weapon whose name I ignore, the silent killer type and the hallucinations with her abusive mother. Not really on the same level, but she's still pretty badass.

Faggot
Jacks simplicity is his strength, it allows him/the writers to bounce off the colorful characters he encounters. Since Ashi isn't the titular character that we're watching S5 for in the first place, she should've had a more solid personality instead of being a dull MC character.
I found it out of place and unessecary, doesn't feel like it fit and it sure as hell didn't help that it was in the final season with only 10 episodes to develop it of all things.

but then there's no love subplot and it's just another spin off T2

Almost entirely as damsels in distress to give the main character a macguffin to fight for. Jack already has his macguffin (going back to the past), there was absolutely no reason to throw in another "goal" for him to achieve. For a while in the penultimate episode it seemed like Genndy intends for Jack to have a dilemma (stay with Ashi in the current time or go back to the past to save his family?), but the retarded finale threw that out of the window.

Fedora tips.

wow, that was rude!

>Jacks simplicity is his strength, it allows him/the writers to bounce off the colorful characters he encounters. Since Ashi isn't the titular character that we're watching S5 for in the first place, she should've had a more solid personality instead of being a dull MC character.
I still think Ashi was interesting enough to carry her scenes well.

what if

stay with me here

he needed to experience true love in order to attain his main goal?

>he needed to experience true love in order to attain his main goal?
How? Nothing in the story suggests this.

So, you think women in action series should only be damsels in distress for the story to work or am I misreading you? I don't want to sound like a tumblrina, but I hope that's not what you're saying because in that regard we disagree.

Besides, Ashi is not a goal; she's with him on the journey to reach that same goal. She doesn't replace or impose herself on Jack list of interest beyond "I don't want her to die".

Just change it and make it that Jack makes it to the village on time

Ashi was mostly influenced by Jack, i'm certain that if jack said "whatever aku isn't that bad let's pledge ourselves to him" she would've still followed him in every action.
Ashi was influenced in her entire life, first by big bad momma and then by jack.
but yeah obviously she believed to be doing good by killing jack in the beginning, her mother told her aku was basically jesus.

>Ashi....ashi.....ashi...?
>KILL THE SAMURAI
also i will forever miss her old haircut

Ashi made choices on her own, though. That was the idea with episode 6. Leaving her alone and letting her decide what she wanted to do.
By that logic, you could argue that Jack is only fulfilling his father's will and that he has no say on the matter at all.

>So, you think women in action series should only be damsels in distress for the story to work or am I misreading you?
Are you even following the current discussion or are you here just to shitpost?
>Besides, Ashi is not a goal; she's with him on the journey to reach that same goal.
Well that changes quick in episode 9. And before that she serves no purpose but to steal Jack's spotlight in the action scenes, and make a cheesy romance episode.

>Well that changes quick in episode 9. And before that she serves no purpose but to steal Jack's spotlight in the action scenes, and make a cheesy romance episode.
Jack and Ashi have their focus still on Aku. The whole time. He just takes a moment to admit to be concerned for her because, by his experienced, he's lost everyone he's ever loved in his quest. I don't see how that's derailing his goal.
Both Jack and Ashi action scenes of their own. If she didn't have any scenes you would have just whined about her being a useless character; there's simply no winning with you people.
I personally liked the romance episode; if you didn't that's more subjective.

>Update
Of course she could make her own decisions, she's not a robot.
Ashi was still influenced way more than jack in everything, that's what shaped her personality.

Holy crap, you didnt even got what scaramouche would say right!

It would probably be something like
>Jacky baby ain't all too baddo, maybe i'll help him swing-a-ding-ding aku until he goes aku-boo-boo-bye-bye, babe

>by his experienced, he's lost everyone he's ever loved in his quest
He's lost everyone he's ever loved at the beginning of it - that's why he wants to go back to the past! Now there's somebody he loves in the present, plus she's the big bad's daughter. If you don't see that dilemma through your foot-thick milk glasses, then I don't know what to say to you.
>Both Jack and Ashi action scenes of their own. If she didn't have any scenes you would have just whined about her being a useless character; there's simply no winning with you people.
Action scenes don't flesh out a character. They give him more screen time, but they don't develop a character's personality.

Yeah i know.
the way scaramouche talks is basically it's own language, it's hard to replicate it.