Why can't Canada make good cartoons anymore?

Why can't Canada make good cartoons anymore?
What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3rxuZkVYsWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wayside

I want to fuck that Canadian girl

So are you trying to get this chick lewd art or what?

We all do, eh.

>mole

so close to perfection

They become lazy due tax incentives?

Leaf studying animation here.
The talent is there and so is the ambition, the problem is we lack properly funded studios and executives are very out of touch with artists here, even moreso than the US.

They're no longer the inexpensive alternative for outsourcing. Also, the Canadian government offers funding for the production of home-grown animation, and because the resulting product doesn't have to answer to anyone in terms of quality, there's zero incentive to make anything good.

I would totally watch a show about the daily life of a fucking leaf

>anymore

Who here remembers Chilly Beach?

You'd think that would make animation projects more indulgent. If I had the skill and resources I would make stuff with the animation quality of Disney/Looney Tunes shorts.

Cringy as fuck pic my man. Can't believe you thought that was funny

does Ovens actually look like that in real life?

Can we convince the Trump government that American animation is under threat from foreign importers and so requires subsidies?

What was CBC thinking?

>and now, the most important part of the day!
>shitposting on Sup Forums

Wait a minute that's an Ovens pic? Been too long.

She looks like Merida

You're assuming the amount of money being given out for animated endeavors is luxurious, which I'm pretty sure is not the case, or else they'd be able to do better than reviving that Flash animated reboot of George of the Jungle ten years after the last season.

Besides, Canada's too busy throwing money at imported refugees for international brownie points, while hoping no one notices how abysmally they treat their indigenous tribespeople.

Just jack off his ego hard enough and it's probably doable.

>canada

Pretty much a non-country.

pretty sure toonboom is what went wrong

There is basically zero talent in Canadian screenwriting. That's the real problem: Canadians don't really know how to write good scripts, possibly because the country lacks the cultural foundations for that.

(The actual animation is mediocre to decent, generally speaking.)

Just because you're too depressed and bitter to laugh doesn't make others wrong for being able to have a sense of humor.

You fucking cyst.

He's not wrong tho.
yes i'm depressed and bitter too but that's not the problem
I hope

It is the problem. Fix your fucking life and stop wasting all your time between these toxic cunts.

Shitposting gets you nowhere in life.

Still doesn't make your tumblr pic funny.

he could become a fortune 500 ceo and the joke still wouldn't be funny

There are a bunch of regulations in Canada about children's programming needing to have a certain percentage of original Canadian shows. Now, Canada has about 10% the population of the US, so a lot of children's programming was coming up from the states, since there were a ton more animators and production companies down there. This meant that only about a tenth of what was on Canadian TV was from Canada, which was fine. Artists and writers got all the time they wanted to work on their projects, at least as much as their American counter parts did anyway.

Now we have a situation where 10% of the north american industry has to make 40% of the content for an entire country. So we get slapped together garbage made in flash. It's cheap, easy, and lets channels meet their Canada-Made programming quota.

you leave our girls alone

any programming needs to have a certain amount of canadian content in it. Why do you think Nickelback's still around? Talent???

I was just binge-watching Bob and Margret I think the lack of adult oriented animation is a huge problem.

Even Kids shows would sneak in a filthy joke once a while, kids wouldn't understand it but teens and the like could enjoy re-watching them years later.

make me

Given how the industry is infested by pencil-necked betas that hate his guts (Alex Hirsh, the entire VA guild, that jew pedo from PPG) it's more likely he'd somehow take away funding

>that jew pedo from PPG

Hey now, we got rid of that cuck. Your the country who fed, clothed and gave him a job.

oh uh never mind sorry

They can, but shitting on canadians is fun

Quit projecting and stop posting shitty Tumblr screen caps.

From an interview with My Life Me creator JC Little:

Q: Do you feel the Flash style is particularly well-suited for the show or was the animation done in Flash purely for budgetary reasons?

A: First, My Life Me was done in ToonBoom, Harmony - it would have looked very different if it was done in Flash. For example we wouldn't have been able to hand draw the characters in Flash without choking the software, and the character setup would have been much less complex and more limited.

Secondly, My Life Me could only have been animated here if it was done digitally. This has to do with the way shows are funded here in Canada; they want to encourage new media technology. Since we wanted to provide work for the locals, My Life Me was designed for a 2D digital pipeline.

>This meant that only about a tenth of what was on Canadian TV was from Canada, which was fine.
No, you idiot, this mean ZERO of what was on Canadian TV was actually Canadian. That's why Cancon was introduced in the first place.
>Artists and writers got all the time they wanted to work on their projects, at least as much as their American counter parts did anyway.
There were NO artists and writers. The industry did not exist.

Fucking lolbertarians.

To be honest, I'm all for supporting local work however there needs to be more revisions over the development process here.

I can't stand having to animate one episode in three weeks. There is no room for creative input, just like how actors can bring in some new appeal to the story so can out animators and story boarders.

I kind of liked it.

The funny thing is that most of my fondest childhood cartoon memories are from shows which I later learned were Canadian, or Canadian joint ventures. I think what Sup Forums fails to grasp is that only a tiny fraction of cartoons overall were/are watchable.
My advice is to just not watch bad cartoons. You're the smart one, you can go outside and play.

>Wait a minute that's an Ovens pic? Been too long.

Yeah, it is. The colorization may have been fanmade though.

I love the way she draws eyes. Reminds me of Moomins.

Your nation's creative spark has been snuffed out. It's not just animation, its every facet of the entertainment industry that suffers in Canada.

I blame Canadian Devil

They stopped collaborating with France and started being cheap outsourcing for the US.

So how are her lewds coming along?

> toxic

Definitely from tumblr. Go back.

I hate when Tumblrtards caps lock to try and make things funny

they are busy turning their country in a commie paradise.

No idea. They used to do good animated stuff but, now they don't. Why Canada why?

>anymore
They never did.

you were mean to us on the internet so now we just keep our best stuff airing locally

>shows which I later learned were Canadian, or Canadian joint ventures.
You have to be careful with this, though, don't trust everything you read. Joint ventures are usually Canadian only in name, like for example I've seen Ed Edd & Eddy cited as a Canadian series (even here in Sup Forums!), which is laughable. There are other ridiculous examples too, like shows based on non-Canadian works originally, or shows with stealth foreign involvement (i.e. not an entire company, just many crew members).

In fact, I can't think of a SINGLE fully Canadian cartoon that was anything close to "good", and I grew up watching them (Teletoon specifically)!

>collaborating with France
Yeah, we really miss those sparks of creative genius like Totally Spies!

Ed Edd and Eddy sucked why does everyone have a hard on for it here.

no I'm not new I've been asking this for years

youtube.com/watch?v=3rxuZkVYsWI

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

we canceled fred's head for more Johnny test

>Sperging out over a screencap
wew lad

There has never been anything on Tumblr I have found even remotely funny. Sup Forums is infinitely more funny than Tumblr

what does that have to do canada

Canadian music's still decent. Unless you're a top40 pleb.

>anymore
they made good cartoons at some point?

Most of Canada's stuff is now aimed at children.

And I don't mean Man-Children 8-12 stuff that Sup Forums likes, but early childhood/pre-school stuff. Since that's what makes money now that's were talent goes.

They have no culture so their only locus is to make "cartoons" instead of making anything people want.

When did they ever make good cartoons?

The fuck is Malk

No, but after Beiber the only direction anyone can go is up.

Why is canada such a meme country? Almost as much as finland

Just another joke the universe shares with no one.

>no I'm not new I've been asking this for years
I believe you so hard it hurts, especially since I've never seen anyone ask this question here before.

Because the slapstick. It was Looney Tunes level of crazy.

Combine that with nostalgia and you got a classic in the making. Even if the creator is pants on head retarded.