Will he ever make a comeback? Will he ever become a main member of the Justice Leaue again?

Will he ever make a comeback? Will he ever become a main member of the Justice Leaue again?

No never.
1. People don't want another reboot
2. Casuals will be more accustomed to Cyborg as the seventh member after the movie
3. He's hard to sell and has far less success compared to others
4. Having him over Cyborg once more would draw flack from angry liberals

Depends if they ever need to use a big bad whose shtick revolves around fire

I once had the idea of the Human Flame being an alien (mostly Martian) conspiracy theorist who uses flame attacks because all his obsessive research led to that conclusion

You can always watch the JL/JLU episodes to see J'obb J'obzz

I want J'onn to investigate alien related mysteries on Earth.
Shit like crop circles, sudden abductions, Flatwoods Monster, even anal probes would do

Anything like that?

I decided to rematch Justice League this week. Why is he such a jobber?

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini wanted to emphasize more on his mental and shapeshifting stuff and less Martian Vision and super strength.
However they also didn't want him to be the easy way out

Or have some conspiracy UFO guys or maybe X-Files type goverment group trying to uncover the truth about J'onn

That would also work
J'onn chases an alien
Men in Black chases both of them.
Fucks sake, he's already a detective/manhunter
It's literally in the name

Cryptids are worthless in a world teeming with guys like Superman. It'd just end with J'onn fighting the flatwoods monster in some over the top braindead capeshit battle anyway.

Unless it's done as some kind of elseworlds tale without the rest of the DC baggage.

Pretty sure this is his arc in New Frontier with Farraday and there's also an arc with the DEO and the always awesome Director Bones in Ostrander's run.

No one wants an addict on the team. Damn cookie head.

Gentlemen, how do we improve MMH's rogues gallery?

Just let him go on crime solving noir missions in space.

Fuck sake, we don't have an Omega Men or LEGION/ REBELS comic anymore, we need something to deal with the non-Lantern side of spacecrime, and J'onn is the man for the job.

>he does not know that Batman in the JLA is the Martian Manhunter

Not as long as Johns is in charge. Same reason captain marvel won't get rebirthed. His changes are Canon, only him can do shitty changes to Canon and no one else.

So... like Hellboy?
A monster investigating monsters

>No human flame

That'd be a cool twist. I've been wondering how Bats can be in so many places at once. But we all know that's not going to happen.

MMH doesn't fit in the Justice League, thematically

What does he bring to a discussion?
How is his voice unique?
Superman has the alien angle down
Batman covers the justice part of it
Wonder Woman alternates between compassion and ruthlessness.

What can he say that makes him stand out?

He's an interesting character, but I don't think he fits in ensembles.

superman doesnt look or speak like an alien at all
a casual reader wouldnt even know superman was an alien

But a casual read knows that Superman is an alien though
That's an intrinsic part of his character.

Different versions of Superman have different levels of familiarity with alien shit, but he's still an alien and you can't divorce him from it.

>What does he bring to a discussion?
A wide powerset, everything from shapeshifting to intangibility to mind reading. Great for clutching.
>How is his voice unique?
He's the stoic voice of reason.

>He's the stoic voice of reason.
Doesn't Batman usually fill that role?

To be fair Superman was also a huge chump in the show

Batman isn't stoic. He's constantly pissed off and brooding.

You realize you could replace Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman with Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Hawkman, respectively, and your argument wouldn't change? By that metric what do Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman bring to a discussion?

They'd just do what they did before with Bloodwynd.

Aquaman was Martian Manhunter the whole time!

Not being angry isn't a prerequisite for being called "stoic"
You just need to be quiet and take it and Batman definitely can't be called chatty.

He's got the powers of Superman, and more, and doesn't really stand for anything.

He's a manhunter. He hunts people. Deadshot does the same thing with a fucking gun and no shapeshifting/flight/telepathy/etcetcetc

People see Martian Manhunter as an outsider, he looks weird and was raised outside of earth

People see Superman as just another earthling in comparison

But the fact that everyone knows he's pissed means he isn't stoic.

I can barely watch it with Supes going down like a bitch every time someone shocks him a little bit.

That's my point.
I wouldn't say the Trinity brings much to the table if you have characters already filling their "roles".
But no one likes replacing the big three, so the point is moot
MMH isn't iconic enough and he isn't different enough to force his way into stories.

That's why he's better in a limited scope, or if you want to shake up core personalities a bit.
Like Batman a little more psychotic so that MMH can be the voice of objective justice.

he is literally an alien, but he doesn't fit the alien character trope
he never says "whats a sandwich? is it made of sand?" or shit like "i dont understand your human emotions"
he isnt an alien character, like starfire
and i disagree entirely about superman, if i was to just casually read a standalone comic about superman, would have no idea he was an alien

In most Justice League stories MM co-ordinates the League while they're operating and brings a guiding pragmatism to the League. The issue with MM's position on the League stems from Morrison's run. In addition to giving J'onn the short end of the stick when writing him, he also made Batman serve many of the roles and interactions that usually were given to J'onn. The issue isn't that J'onn isn't different enough to force his way in stories, it's that he was carved up to help make Batgod.

>The issue isn't that J'onn isn't different enough to force his way in stories, it's that he was carved up to help make Batgod.
That's a good way to put it

Justice League stories would strongly benefit from a dismantling of the Batgod

>In most Justice League stories MM co-ordinates the League while they're operating and brings a guiding pragmatism to the League.
Doesn't Cyborg do that now?

Damned affirmative action

Gentlemen, how do we reinvent J'onn into a success?

>Superman has the alien angle down
Superman being an alien is rarely relevant, he looks human, grew up on earth raised by two humans, and has no memories of Krypton.

meant to quote:

Tone down his powers a bit and don't make him a regular member of the Justice League

Have him always be roaming the Earth being other people. While he's wandering, he's solving murders and learning about the lives the victims lived before they died.

The League consults him from time to time on matters since he's by far the most experienced member when it comes down to global law enforcement. They want him to guide the League, but he doesn't want to.

Unless you come from a third world shit hole, you know superman is an alien. He's that woven/beaten into culture that you don't need to read comics to understand that basic trait.

You're right about though that him being an alien isn't always a center perice of who he is. Its just a road to explain how he does what he does.

yeah, the kids just cant get enough of superman

Make him feel less like green_superman.png

You can't. What makes J'onn so appealing is what makes him unsuccessful.

But isn't that literally what he is?

Give him Johnny Sorrow.

Two-fisted pulp noir meets UFO conspiracy. Although I'd play around with it a little bit and keep it a little self-aware with John Jones being very much an affection born out of crime fiction.

permanent reminder that geoff threw j'onn under the bus to save Hal because WB wanted Stewart as the GL, so he brought in Cyborg for diversity instead so he could get Hal back

him being the biggest halfag is disgusting

Speaking of Hal, why doesn't he and J'onn ever have many stories together?

Their backstories overlap a bit

Geoff threw a lot of characters under the bus with the New 52, really. Movie synergy sucks. The New 52 was what Marvel did to the Inhumans, but to an entire universe.

He's a counterpoint to superman. Superman is an alien raised to be Human, and rises up as a better human than many of us because he legit believes. MMH has an outsider perspective which allows for external critique, detachment and confusion.

Him landing in the 1920s, thought to the 1950s, learning how to pass, trying to fight crime during prohibition while not blowing his cover, the beginnings of american ufo conspiracy stuff. I'd read that. It would be a neat space to allow for his perspective on classic Americana.

>Give him Johnny Sorrow
That'd honestly be pretty cool

Timm and Co couldn't write strong characters for shit. Superman tas showed that.

I don't really care until they can get a competent write on JL. Excluding the Dematteis and Giffen stuff, the last competent writers on JL was Morrison. Inb4 Waid and Kelly. No, both were shit and cringe worthy.

No.

Get over it.

Morrison shit the bed with J'onn and WW, arbitrarily changed the lineup according his whims only to drop characters once he grew bored, and took his metaplot entirely from Waid.

He's caught in a trap where he is too obscure to take any kind of financial risk that would be incurred bringing him back, and as long as he isn't brought back he will become more and more obscure. It's a cycle that no one in a position to decide the character's fate has any incentive to break.

There are other problems too. He doesn't tick any demographic boxes, his previous appearances in animated shows didn't take because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with him and made him job, his stoic personality doesn't go well with his minimal screentime, etc. Not to mention, he is entirely a creation of the Silver Age, and everything about him from his powers to his costume are loud and powerful reminders of the most embarrassing era of comics.

His only chance is if someone who grew up watching the toons in the 2000s takes over DC or Warner Bros. and brings him back to satisfy their nostalgia. Or maybe if Miss Martian somehow becomes hugely popular after Young Justice's third season and they have to bring MM along for the ride as they put her in more adaptations.

Of course he will be back.

Faggot the 90s are most embrassing.

He isn't used because all white is dated.

Could just be a soft retcon like Infinite Crisis or Rebirth. J'onn should go back to being a founding member and Cyborg should go back to the Titans. Or at least have Cyborg be a Titan before joining the League.

Most of his modern costumes are rather subdued. As for his personality, one thing that his solos failed to do was create a supporting cast and roster of villains to bounce off of J'onn.

They soft rebooted that sometime before Forever Evil.

Clark is an earthling in all but birth and powers. J'onn has lived and lost his previous life and comes to Earth to start a new one. He is a foreigner through and through, moreso than Superman, and his appearance and past conveys the "Alien protecting the new place he calls his home" angle in a stronger way than Supes can.

When I first saw Superfriends and saw no Martian Manhunter I got confused.
My little kid brain just assumed he was a conflicted character

It seems to me he has a fairly strong base to build a supporting cast from. His police/detective partner who doesn't know he's an alien, a handful of fellow Martians in varying states of sanity and villainy, aliens coming to Earth and trying to hide among the population while playing cat-and-mouse with MM, psychic enemies like Bette Noir, a government agent who is tasked with hunting MM and finding out what exactly he is, etc.

I think he would work best as a low-key hero, in a setting that has minimal interaction with the rest of the DC multiverse, with less time spent on big fight scenes and more spent on mind games played with clever opponents who hide behind the teeming hordes of innocent civilians that J'onn must avoid harming or alerting. Whether he's still trying to get back to his homeworld or if it has already been destroyed would play a big role in how he sees his new home

Keep the cute brown version of him around

>I think he would work best as a low-key hero, in a setting that has minimal interaction with the rest of the DC multiverse, with less time spent on big fight scenes and more spent on mind games played with clever opponents who hide behind the teeming hordes of innocent civilians that J'onn must avoid harming or alerting. Whether he's still trying to get back to his homeworld or if it has already been destroyed would play a big role in how he sees his new home
Yeah, I like that

She's dead though.

Same reason Supes and Flash job. They did a bad job trying to make everyone seem valuable.

Martians didn't like the Guardians. And there's conflicting lore saying that the Manhunters the Guardians made were based off the Martian Manhunters. They were pissed when they ended up killing people and told the Guardians to eat shit when they came by asking if they wanted to goin the GLC when it was first created. Not to mention Hal and every other human lantern were asshats at one point or another.

>He isn't Cobb
Fuck

Diane Meade as his detective partner who secretly suspects J'onn is actually a metahuman, have Scorch working undercover for the DEO to keep tabs on J'onn by using her human form to pose as his neighbor, M'Gann is actually his niece and lives with him.

As for Mars, the Martian race is still there but is trapped in claustrophobic underground cities on a dead planet. The Martian governments maintain several agents on Earth to monitor and, if necessary sabotage, efforts to explore Mars in-depth. Meanwhile desperate Martians are using scratch built teleporters to try and reach Earth.

make a truly fantastic manhunter run and find out.
just anonymously upload it to sadpanda when you're done so the lawyers can't find you.

those unwilling to change their world deserve the world they get

Reminder that J'onn J'onzz is the cornerstone of the Justice League and embodies the spirit of the greatest team in superhero comics and you would know this if you actually read comics.

I don't know who is more wrong here.

Yes we know he's the heart and soul of the League but the problem is that he's simply unable to go back after what has happened.

How would you handle M'gann actually being a White Martian in this version? Would you just ditch that altogether and make her a normal Green like J'onn?

Sure, I get that and I love the character, but you have to be realistic. When the accounting department and Warner Bros. or DC, staffed by dour empty suits who don't give a shit about comics, looks at this character and asks "How would resuscitating this fading character who was never very popular and never sold many toys help our shareholders?" If you can find a good answer to that question that would convince a humorless manager whose job is on the line, then you can have your A-list Martian Manhunter back.

There is no good reason why he is unable to go back. He is an excellent character. The only thing that needs to change is the higher ups at DC who have been continually shitting the bed for the past decade.

I'm sorry user
Public consciousness won't recognize him as the seventh member.
His status as the seventh member will be a trivia question to people

Monthly series, Steve Orlando and Tom King cowriting

Michael Walsh on art

2-3 issue arcs, I advise having King Faraday partnered with J'onn as they investigate paranormal crimes in the name of Spyral or Checkmate.

Lore is them hiding the discovery of M'gan who is discovered at the end of the first arc.

Nice obscure trivia, user.

What is Justice League: The Animated Series? Or all of the best Justice League runs of all time?

Get Morrison, Johns, Snyder or Bendis to write him. That's the only way he can manage to not get cancelled within 12 issues.

What is reading comprehension, you retarded characterfag.

So those things have nothing to do with public consciousness then I guess.

Public what? You should try replying to different posts separately.

The movie will reach a broader audience.

Public consciousness and obscurity are directly related you utter fucking moron. Grade-A irony with the reading comprehension bit, kudos.

Again, reply to every post separately so you don't mix up different people.

But it won't make those things disappear from existence.

Nigga have you seen the amount of Cyborg shilling these past years?
He's been a main character in games, animated features, etc

Explain to me the vast chasm between those two comments, both of which contain the word trivia in them.

But they will change public consciousness
After all, people are more familiar with Black Widow as a founder of the Avengers and not Ant-Man

He's in all the animated movies now, even the Teen Titans ones. And he's in Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go.

>Reduce his strenght to Spider-Man levels
>Reduce his psychic powers, so you have a better execuse than to just make him job everytime that he tries to control someone
>Play up his strenghts, his weirdness, his odd place in earth, while keeping the detective theme that he had originaly going on
>Make him the one in charge of investigating odd events, alien abductions, rumors, circles in the crops and so
>As the issues go, we discover that all these events are conected to a new space port that is being build in secret on Mars
>J'onn by the end of it basicaly becomes the embassador between earth and this alien colony on the solar system, and decides to stay there, acting also as their law enforcer

You also ends up bringing the cosmic closer to the Earth. If this was creator owned stuff an event like this could be very impactful on the world, but I know that Big 2 things wouldn't have the same quaility as I say, Hellboy.

Also, remember that he canonicaly thinks that Futa is gay.

And nothing featuring him has come close to the quality of J'onn's resume.

Because two different people can use the same word.