South Park season 2

South Park season 2
as bad as Matt and Trey say it is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bgRz3jdNvww
desuarchive.org/co/search/text/Season 19/end/9/1/16/page/1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's really not. It has a lot more memorable episodes alone than the past several seasons.

shows how retarded they are, Seasons 1-3 are the best of the show before they went full hardon for "muh social commentary'

>chicken lover
No, it's a solid season.

It's rough around the edges, like a lot of early South Park, but there's good times to be had.

the only bad episode in the bunch is City on the Edge of Forever and it's still better than any episode they've done since "You're Getting Old"

>City on the Edge of Forever a bad episode
And that's how we know you're judgement is flawed.

The only reason they hate the early seasons is PTSD over the animation. The content is fine.

Summer Sucks, Conjoined Fetus Lady, and sadly Chefs Chocolate Salty Balls are my bottom picks from season 2. they still have a good joke or two in them, and Salty Balls gave us the Chef Aid album, but i'd say those are the least of that season

first thing i think of when i see that pic

youtu.be/bgRz3jdNvww

> Planetarium

>mr. garrison teaching the class about Barnaby Jones
love when he was just a bad teacher instead of a social statement

Its pretty bad, except for some episodes like Chef Aid. Hell, I'd put Season 1 over it.

Better than the crap they're pumping out now.

fucking this. it was nice when the show was about the characters. I didn't even know they thought poorly of the second season, but they're wrong if they do.

No the are just typical "artists" who hate their old work and think their new stuff is the hottest shit even when it isnt.

Its not as bad as the recent seasons with their lame arcs.

It's one of the best seasons
They are just stupid old men now with no taste

Somewhere along the way, Matt & Trey decided it was funnier to have their show try to interact with and attempt to influence the real world by weighing in on the current news cycle than writing self-contained stories.

Agreed. Last season sucked,the one before that was actually pretty good then before that was more shit.

They were saying this in their season 3 or 4 commentaries, which is why season 2 doesn't have any. I hope they one day go back and watch it and see how funny back and forths Kyle/Cartman could have without god damn relying on "jew/fatass". How the boys were BOYS and not the adult voice of reasons, explaining to their audience the way to think.

Yeah nah PC Principle is one of the greatest characters in recent SP history and the entire arc outside of the last two episodes was fantastic, best season in ages.

The last 2 seasons were both fucking terrible and made south park crapper than i thought it could get

They cant write a continuous story, the story goes nowhere, is unsatisfying and repeated terrible jokes 10 times each
They have been crap since season 10 though

I miss when the kids acted like kids. The episodes were funny, weird and spooky, and weren't about some current thing in the news

>PC Principle

isn't it past your wife's son's bedtime, Trey?

>How the boys were BOYS
This
The whole point of south park is that its kids being put into, and reacting to, crazy situations
So if they don't act like kids its not funny or interesting

Better than any of the recent seasons.

Not saying Sup Forums is one person but why has everybody turned their backs against season 19. I remember when it was considered to be one of the best seasons of the entire show.

If you doubt me, scroll through this and find the SP relevant ones.
desuarchive.org/co/search/text/Season 19/end/9/1/16/page/1/

Because the people who watch the episodes as they come out are already fans who are predisposed to have a positive opinion of the show. As more people actually watch the episodes you're going to see a wider range of opinions become apparent.

Personally I think South Park is one of those shows where the average age of its biggest fan stays fairly constant around 13-17 as older viewers eventually just stop watching and following the show because the crass humor of the show, while always appealing to adolescents because its often their first taste of 'adult' humor, becomes banal when you get older.

I haven't seen 18 or 19 to know they're the worst. It's too hard to tell people what to think when there is nothing the fuck going on. The one or two actually okay episodes don't make up for the rest of the season. I already saw 16 and 17. Not going to cuck my time by watching the next two.

I don't think so, i don't like the new episodes, but S1-S3 weren't that great,4-10 were the best one for me

Even at the time i thought it was horrible and everyone that liked it was a dumb kid

Firstly, the link I gave to you had a end 9/1/16 date (any posts earlier than 9/1/16), the latest dates being when season 19 had been out for several months and the focus was on the then upcoming and very hyped season 20.

Secondly,
>Personally I think South Park is one of those shows where the average age of its biggest fan stays fairly constant around 13-17 as older viewers eventually just stop watching and following the show because the crass humor of the show
I kinda disagree. From who've I've been around, I'm pretty certain that distinction goes to post-cancellation Family Guy, the edgiest of the edgy long-runners.

this, but season 1 and 2 episodes CAN be incredibly retarded. but I still prefer juvenile retardation over pretentious retardation

basically the show's always been commentary of some sort, but it used to be a more timeless commentary on childhood, small towns, religion etc. Older episodes that made no statement whatsoever are were just random humor were sometimes hella stupid and grating (not the hella episode though, that was funny).

whatsoever and*

You mean how they think it looked too rough back then? But the paper cutout style looks stupid with the new-era fancy camera angles and unironic special effects. I don't get how they could make the pilot with their bare hands and then go and have shit opinions like that.

remember when they made fun of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for going back and redoing their old projects with updated graphics but also editing them, compromising artistic integrity?

then they turned around and did the same thing with their "HD Remaster" project

C'mon, the episodes about Cartman's mom are iconic. Prehistoric Ice Man was fucking hilarious too.

I really don't blame them. By making a good show for so long, they have earned godlike power to influence the minds of normies. South Park is taken as a semi-factual news-show a la The Daily Show by many. It's borderline terrifying how much trust people put in a cartoon.

But they also could've used their power to age up the characters and refresh the supply of character-based stories. What they've done so far in that area is just playing around, I'm talking about real shit.

Wow, actually they might be right.

I agree on Summer Sucks and Chocolate Salty Balls, but Conjoined Fetus Lady is great.

Season Two was when I first started watching the show, so I'm partial to it. Season Three is better than it in every way, and I still love a lot of the latter stuff, but Matt and Trey are crazy if they think Season Two is that embarrassing, let alone more embarrassing than Season One.

Oh look Sup Forums being hipster contrarians once again!

>people love the older seasons
>"w-well these newer chapters have just gotten much better! the show has grown and is now doing its own thing like nobody else does!
>other people start loving the newer seasons
>"THE SHOW WAS BETTER DURING THE FIRST SEASONS ANYWAYS, OLD SCHOOL SOUTH PARK WATCHER ALL THE WAY LOL

Why can't you just love the show for what it is? Why not give credit to each episode separately instead of doing this two-sides-against-eachother bullshit all the fucking time.
I've been rewatching season 2 and 3 lately and some episodes are not even that fun. I specifically watched OP's episode last night and it's really hit and miss, nothing too great really although I do agree that the stupid game of thrones arc was dumb and the last season had really cringy and boring episodes with barely no jokes in them. They said they were going back to the old formula with no arcs at all for next season so that's good.

This comment is literally "I take different opinions from different posters and interpret them as if they came from the same hivemind"

Anyway, South Park is adolescent humor. If you're 14 you're probably going to enjoy it more than if you're 24, no matter if you're watching season 2 or season 20.

Seasons 1-3 is literally what MADE south park famous. 5-10 may be more well crafted, but it lacks sort of the random humor (yes. random humor can be good when done right) that the first few seasons had.

One of South Park's biggest ironies is that they always position themselves as neither one or the other but take a 'third position' on every issue essentially mocking both sides and in doing so they portray themselves as anti-conformists while ALWAYS supporting the status quo.

But the best episode they ever did was the korn scooby doo parody in season 3.

You're acting as if starting from season 4 all the comfyness of simple small town stories disappeared and they went full blown political commentary with it.
Seasons 1-3 aged pretty poorly and are amateurish, season 4 and 5 is where Matt and Trey really got into a groove and things became much more memorable and tightly written.

I've always been the kind of person that doesn't mind this in the slightest but I can't tell if this one of those "South Park creators are libtards" posts people are so fond of writing these days

help me out here

Both the right and the left hate South Park for not being partisan enough. Horseshoe theory at it's finest.

It's just ironic that they positions themselves as 'anti-conformists' whose too smart to fall for the rhetoric on either side while all that accomplishes is supporting the status quo.

Are we far enough away from season 20 that we can call it shit without being told to go back to Sup Forums?

I started watching South Park this year for the first time, I watched every episode in order.

Seasons 1 and 2 had a lot of good stuff in them but the show did not hit its stride until season 4. Seasons 4-10 were the peak, and 11-17 were continually less and less funny from there. Each season still had highlights, the show never became offensively bad but did tend to dip into mediocrity far more often than its golden age.

Season 18 was an interesting experiment that worked better than it could have, and season 19 was honestly one of the very best and most consistently fantastic seasons in the show's entire run. Season 20 was more hit or miss because of the format, and ultimately the election results. It was a mistake to bank so heavily on the election and it bit them in the ass. Overall I will miss the serialization, it lead to some fantastic and fresh material. Maybe now the return to form will feel more fresh too. I'm honestly amazed the show has never gotten bad, and even had a second, brief, golden age.

Unlike the Simpsons, South Park episodes haven't aged at all.

It's better than anything from Season 20

Remember when clip shows were a thing, and every show did them?

>chickenlover
>mexican staring frog
>not without my anus
>chocolate salty balls
>clubhouses
>spookyfish
>merry christmas charlie manson
>gnomes

kino season

I've seen South Park maybe more than any other show. had all episode up to season 16 on repeat for months.
season 4 is the first example of one of the boys (Stan) being smarter than the rest of the town. cherokee hair tampons when he starts in immediately with his "what is a toxin? have you ever seen one? huh? huh?" crap. before that, we had it in a comedy way, with Cartman playing General Lee, but that was fun and not trying to sway your opinion or teach you something.
At least every episode in seasons 1-6 have a good, quality joke/one liner, but I prefer season 2 to the rest for entire good episodes, like The Mexican Staring Frog, Prehistoric Ice Man, Chicken Lover.

Yeah that's a lot of subpar episodes.

No season 2 is specifically because they let other people do a lot of the writing while they were doing the movie.

>explaining to their audience the way to think.
"I learned something to day" was a thing since the shorts before the show user.

No, but it is worse then 3, but that is more because 3 is the best season.

It was fine to hate Season 20 as it came out as long as your reason wasn't "Muh God-Emperor Trump"

>season 4 is the first example of one of the boys (Stan) being smarter than the rest of the town.
I'd say that's Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride
>not trying to sway your opinion or teach you something.
Also refer to Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride

>You're acting as if starting from season 4 all the comfyness of simple small town stories disappeared and they went full blown political commentary with it.

It didn't start with season four but at some point the show really did lose that angle, and its been worse for it.

I personally thought the stretch between Season 5 to 8 was the prime era of the show. A good balance of political humor and the kids going on adventures. It was at Season 9 when the show started burning out.

nobody thinks being gay is bad or wrong, and stan wasn't smarter than the rest of the town trying to educate it

>nobody thinks being gay is bad or wrong
Are you fucking kidding me?
>stan wasn't smarter than the rest of the town trying to educate it
Yes he was, or at least he knew better than them,

>Chef Aid

Season is saved just by this episode alone.

Spookyfish was always my favorite episode of the earlier seasons. It had alternate universes, barbara striesand "spooky" vision, and had one of the funniest lines in hell.

They go to Indian Burial Ground Pet Store, and the boys ask the owner if the reason all the pets are haunted is because he built his store on a burial ground. He goes
>"No it's not that. It's probably because I dug all the bodies out, pissed on them, and then re-buried them upside down."
>"Why the fuck would you do that??"
>"I don't know, I was drunk I guess"

Had me crying

not him but i have very little feelings on trump, but i had seen so much stupid crying shit in real life about trump that before SP started mocking him it was already making me cringe

I just remembered Prehistoric Ice Man out of nowhere the other day and had to watch it: it holds up.

Make Garrison the teacher again, a dude again, and have him teach about dumb unrelated shit like some show from the 80s again. Bring back Principal Victoria, never mention that retarded PC Principal arc shit again, maybe do more episodic stuff with 0-30% political influence like they used to, make Kenny not just poor but ALSO PERVERTED LIKE HE USED TO BE, etc. They fucked up.

Honestly, Season 2 always felt off to me compared to Season 1 and 3. Like, it had its moments, but the pacing of the stories, and the timing of the jokes didn't quite feel right to me.

Eh, I found Season 9 to be about equal with season 8 in quality. Its also the only sex-change era Garrison season where he was funny.

South Park back in the day just was a completely new kind of show, for adults, about kids, really simple art style

there was nothing like it and you couldn't compare it with anything else, South Park needed a long time to find it's direction

unlike today

>nobody thinks being gay is bad or wrong

Don't think society has advanced that far, yet.

I remember when Stan and Kenny were main characters

I stopped watching south park at season 14 with a few episodes in season 15. When did the show start getting bad?

Does anyone find it funnier when the stories in the first couple of seasons were fast paced as fuck?
I`m not sure if this applies for a majority of those episodes, but seeing that Ike`s Wee Wee episode made me think of this.

>When did the show start getting bad
after season 8

>tfw garrison and cartman walk cycles
>tfw being progressive being a new serious arc
>tfw no episodic random stories for seasons on end