Wonder Woman Comic Recommendations?

Just saw this movie and found it kinda boring. Themyscira was the most interesting part of the movie and as soon as they hit London I got bored. The humor wasn't funny and just felt like a waste of time and none of the characters were likable or memorable... including Wonder Woman.

Now, I'm not a big Wonder Woman fan, so I have a genuine question to actual fans. What are Wonder Woman's defining character traits? In the Timmverse and Injustice, she seems like a diplomatic warrior. In the 2009 animated movie she's an arrogant warrior curious about the outside world but then almost immediately hates it. In the new movie, she seems like a naive and gullible warrior mindlessly trying to fulfill the job of her people because she was continually told it as she grew up.

It just seems to me like she's a "warrior type" without any interesting traits or features. I'm ASSUMING I'm wrong since I haven't read any of her comics, so I wanted to know from you fans what she's like and what comic runs I should read to get to know her better.

TL;DR - What are the best Wonder Woman comic runs that let me get to know the character?

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2017/05/dc-wonder-woman-movie-best-comics-to-read.html
enthuse.ca/2017/05/31/a-beginners-guide-to-wonder-woman/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've heard Nu52 WW was quiet good
WW changes a lot from writer to writer, you must get used to that

George Perez is the name to look for. DC has big expensive hardcovers and affordable paperbacks of his Wondy stuff. It's all top notch and some God Tier art

As all will say, the 1987 Perez run defined her for the modern age.

Stories I've posted:
Untrue. There's two Wonder Woman's: the correct one you see in her solo comics, and the incorrect one you see in comics like Kingdom Come who fights first and asks questions later.

Ah, thanks for those lists.

i think user meant more the trend of writers coming on the book wiping away the previous stuff and starting fresh.

IMO the big ones you should look at are the Perez run, Rebirth's Year One, Legend of Wonder Woman, and Simone's run.

That's not true, though. Every writer built on the previous stuff with the exceptions of the post-Infinite Crisis revamp, Wonder Woman Odyssey, and the New 52.

volume 2 issues 1-62 is your best starting point

So I appreciate the recommendations and I'm gonna hit this stuff up, but I am still curious if anyone could kinda define the kind of person she is. I get that writers alter those things as they come on, but I assume she's gotta have SOMETHING that remains kinda constant.

>she's gotta have SOMETHING that remains kinda constant.
a vagina

The solo ain't always safe, either.
Finch gave me cancer.

Shit was worse than SM/WW.

Diana has a pretty consistent axis of being incredibly kind to her friends and being fucking brutal to her enemies.

But, see, that's "stuff she does." Not really defining her.

For example, you could describe Superman as an empathetic, compassionate person who wants to help others just because he can. You could describe Batman as a brooding, troubled man who channeled the anger from his childhood trauma into a self-destructive war on crime. So with that as the framework, how would you describe Wonder Woman?

In her solo except for a couple of bad spots like Eric Luke's run and some fill ins she's extremely consistent.

She's sweet and warm, idealistic but not naive, bold but not arrogant. She's like the perfect mother; she loves you unconditionally and knows no matter what you've done, deep down you're a good person and just need help.

It sounds weird to just read it, but it's something you'll naturally pick up on immediately reading her good comics. She does become a bit more stern as she gets older, particularly in Rucka's first run.

Bad writers are the ones who do that "she's a warrior, she'll kill in the name of peace!" crap. She was trained as a warrior but grew up in paradise and never knew genuine conflict, she's completely idealistic and believes 100% in peace.

Fr*cking epic win, bro, mind if I put it on reddit?

THERE we go. Thank you. That's the kind of description I was looking for.

>wall of text
>types like a bitch
>believes killing in self defense is edgy
>WOW SEXIST MUCH?
Mind going back to tumblr?

>Superman as an empathetic, compassionate person who wants to help others just because he can.

That's literally most superheroes. What defines SUPERMAN without the generic stuff that defines all his peers?

>So with that as the framework, how would you describe Wonder Woman?

Driven. Confident. Dedicated.

Diana is consistently humble despite her powers, she has been instilled since childhood with the belief that she has a purpose and a mission. She actively works to try and better the world.

It's rare to see her racked with uncertainty, unless a villain has really tried to whammy her mind.

Why are there so many casuals asking to be spoonfed these days? What do they have against actually reading comics?

Seems like they all want to be told everything about their books before they actually read them. What's the point of reading books in that case? Anyone have an answer for what happened to this generation?

Because I'm trying to see if anyone can actually define the character. I'm not trying to be fucking spoonfed anything. The initial post was asking for comics to read. Holy shit.

I think it's acceptable in this case because he's genuinely curious whether he should read this character or if she's just boring Xena shit.

Azz run and Morrisons Earth One for sure.

Reminder those and more are free on Hoopla on tablet smartphone browser etc w library card

Why don't you read the comics and find out for yourself?

Were you not told about the magic of reading when you were a child? The thrill that comes with reading a story for the first time?

>or if she's just boring Xena shit.

Hey now, let's not knock the novelty of goofy fun.

>Azz run and Morrisons Earth One for sure.

Be more subtle next time you troll. You might actually fool someone.

Not really, but okay. He's an adopted farmboy who lived a humble life with kindhearted parents that showed him the best in humanity and made him want to do more for people. He has great power, but he knows he can't save everyone (like when his father dies of natural causes) and that eats away at him. He doesn't want to kill because he knows he has godlike power, so instead he would rather rehabilitate and not stoop to the level of his enemies. Despite being so powerful, he still humbles himself both as Superman and as Clark Kent.

Are you implying Xena was boring?

Do you hate them BC theyre popular or something I don't know this meme

That's not defining him by the parameters OP is asking.

The entire point of the thread is to get comic recommendations so I can do exactly that.

Hey Tex, what was your opinion on the film?

man, going full christfag ruined the last season

Then you should read them instead of asking people to tell you what happens in them. You want to know what defines Diana? You'll find the answer in the comic books.

This is a pretty good list
vulture.com/2017/05/dc-wonder-woman-movie-best-comics-to-read.html

Yeah but it was a pretty sweet ride up to that point.

Both Azzarrelo and Morrison's Wonder Woman are fine. They both wrote comics with distinct goals: azz was tasked with doing a post-modern, vertigo-esque version of Wonder Woman, complete with supernatural horror elements, and a more organic take on the gods and their interaction with the world.

Morrison rebirthed the original Golden Age take William Molton Marston was doing, modernizing some of the gender politics and feminist perspectives.

They're both works with creative integrity and a strong identity of what they want to be.
Now, they're not "classic" Wonder Woman like George Perez's works, but more in line with Denny O'Neil's original attempt to reinvent Wonder Woman. Superheroes are pliable and making bold creative choices is healthier for the characters.

Wow this is one fucked up aspie. Don't post on a discussion board if you can't handle discussions, you loathsome freak.

>asking people to tell you what happens in them
Oh okay, you're just an idiot/troll that doesn't understand the point to any of this.

Not spoonfeeding newfags is a time honored tradition on Sup Forums, newfag.

I think your keyboard might be broke, it keeps autocorrecting Sup Forums to Sup Forums

Oh okay, so you're just a moron. When did Sup Forums's toxicity get this bad?

>When did Sup Forums's toxicity get this bad?

Baneposting was the downfall.
Sup Forums simply attracts too much of the Sup Forums crowd.

started with Watchmen and The Dark Knight, reached critical mass with Avengers and Baneposting

This guy does this all the time.

Whenever there is anything even vaguely resembling a rec thread, he pops in to sling shit.

It reminded me a lot of Captain America in that the first half was fantastic, I loved the actors and they really did a great job of staying true to the characters, and then the second half devolved into loud noises, having to stop a stupid doomsday machine and fight a video game boss.

So basically as good of a Wondie movie as you can get in modern Hollywood.

Also there was an Angle-Man reference!

Chris Pine didn't get tied up enough

>Also there was an Angle-Man reference!

Where?

Near the end when Mr. Ares Guy is talking to Diana in the control tower, one of his Anglers is hanging in the background.

>Diana is consistently humble despite her powers

Not when she's paired with Superman.

So it worked out better than this?
1/3

2//3

3/3

humble to mere mortal

But Sup Forums agrees or else WW/SM was totally awesome

Yeah. Its Wonder Tot was way cuter than that, too.

I don't even know what you tried to imply.

I don't know what Azz's problem. SuperMan and Batman's parents are upstanding citizens. Wonder Woman's mom is a hypocritical slut. The amazons are douchebags who hate her in one minute, the next minute they're alive they're suddenly serving her as her own personal army to war, no questions asked. Apollo murders women in order to have visions. And even includes ghetto victims with hard to read ghetto slang dialogue

enthuse.ca/2017/05/31/a-beginners-guide-to-wonder-woman/

I don't remember her being a slut

I liked Azzarello's run.
Sucks that they basically retconned it out of existence.
Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth 1 is pretty good too.

She was a slut because she went back on her own morals and ideals for da dick.

Is Wonder Woman bullet proof?

Nope.

Dude what? She fucking pwned Doomsday in BvS, cut off his arm and repelled his ete blast. She's stronger than Superman.

God I'm re-reading that run and I'm reminded of what a sheer pleasure it was to read that run. Never has such spectacularly glorious smut been so well woven with such masterful intricate writing.

I dunno, maybe Snyder is yet another idiot who doesn't know she's not invulnerable, but in this she clearly isn't since there'd be no point to the shield and bracers.

Right? Also such perfect daughterfu Vanessa.

I was surprised at the beginning of the movie they actually do reference their origin with the naked Amazons emerging from the sea, but it was in a CGI storybook instead of the glorious love action I've always envisioned it.

In the movie she gets injured during an early fight but she heals the wound much faster than regular humans. It seems like she isn't invulnerable (does have to deflect bullets) but does have a good healing factor.

No you're right. She has no big defining traits. The closest you'll find is "mortherly, peace maker, who will twist necks if needed".

WW never gets anything of interesting to stick because each writer comes on and writes out the previous work of the old writer for a fresh new WW.

Only reason she hasn't been replaced yet is her vag and too much backlash would result.

I'm sure this is knowledge you gained firsthand reading Wonder Woman and isn't just shit you pulled out of your ass so you could pretend you know what you're talking about.

>Every writer built on the previous run
There's Byrne.

Except for moving to Gateway City and making Jewish Steve Trevor and the Sandsmarks he still did. He made Artemis and Donna major supporting characters, he followed up on the Circe plot of WML's run, he continued the Cheetah plot from Underworld Unleashed, he iterated on the Amazons' origin.

He actually retconned uncharacteristically little compared to normal.

The very last fight was complete crap but superheroes always genre blend well and the first third felt like a good fantasy novel/superhero combo while the middle was a good war movie/superhero combo. Even the last part had some highlights, like Steve trying to seduce Dr. Poison by talking about how fascinated he was by fire, death and destruction.

Read Perez and William Messner-Loebs baby.

I just gotten into reading superman reborn, does that tie into wonder woman's memories in the truth arc? I remember in ww rebirth #9 that it's still affirming clark and diana's romance, so was any of that retconned?

Yup. Rucka thought DC was keeping Wonder Woman past relationship with Superbro, so that's why he had that exchange between her and Steve, so he could address it and have her move on to Steve.

But then DC decided to erase Superbro, along with his relationship with her. So now Wonder Woman never dated any Superman.

-That is not true
-WML retconned parts of the Amazons origin story including the bondage and long captivity by Hercules.
-Rucka retconned many of the developments Jimenez introduced for the Amazons including his redesign of their island.

That stuff is just par for the course for comics. None of that involves totally wiping out what the previous writer did and "starting fresh".

Most major runs start with the writer establishing a new status quo or dealing with the previous one.

Most of Jimenez's stuff not sticking is a sore spot for a lot of fans because it came at a time when DC suddenly decided to move Wonder Woman in the Greek mythology direction and to be less superhero-y, but it's no different from how at the same time Batman and Superman were moving away from the late 90's/early 2000's continuity.

>> looking for a good WW episode.
JLA: League of One.
There.

Eh it was tolerable. A huge step up compared to how bad the christ shit destroyed Herc.

Pick up a run of Superman/Batman. It'll have a general character it stays consistent with.

Pick up a run of WW. Toss a coin. That'll help figure out the new direction she'll be running towards. But please correct me and tell me some more consistent traits about her that don't fall in the two poles of bitch and mother earth.

ok that clears up a few, does diana's memory problems the explanation for the rebirth continuity changes?

I said it right up here
She just as consistent as Batman or Superman in her own books. Just like Batman and Superman you occasionally get OOC writing. Batman can be just a guy who's smart and sometimes can be a guy who has a plan for literally every contingency and knows everything. But both are the same basic character, and no one calls Batman inconsistent because O'Neil and Morrison don't write him the same.

Anyone who's read more Wondie than just Azz's run and an issue or two of Perez and called it a day knows she has a consistent character. I'm getting pretty tired of having to TELL people this just because they refuse to actually read anything before spouting off and making these sweeping statements.

No.

See, Rucka wanted to retcon the amazon stuff, you know the whole sailor killing and male baby selling stuff. So the explanation is that after Diana first left Paradise Island, which was different from the one in the beginning of the New52, she was never able to come back and the gods created a fake Paradise Island when she attempt to go back during Azz's run, with the fake Paradise Island being the one Azz created, the one from the beginning of New52. So pretty much 90% of what happened in Azz's run was a fake experience Diana suffered thanks to the gods magic.

Wonder Woman relationship with Supebro was left intact, because Rucka didn't know what was DC plans for Superman. Eventually the cross-over arc in the Superman related books, Superman Reborn, erased pretty much the whole Superbro and Superdad thing, including much of Superbro continuity, including his relationship with Wonder Woman. So now Wonder Woman never dated any Superman. The explanation is that Dr. Manhattan was trying to mess Superman's life by making him miserable. That's right, Superbro dating Wonder Woman is supposed to be this awful thing designed to make Superman miserable.

Rucka then wrote a new first meeting between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Also rewrote a lot of Wonder Woman past stories.

totally unrelated then, thanks for that, so that's why theres a trinity story in annual