Why does Sup Forums not give a shit about Saga anymore? I remember it being the hot thing everyone was talking about

Why does Sup Forums not give a shit about Saga anymore? I remember it being the hot thing everyone was talking about

The writing got stale and the art got lazier.

Book one (Volumes 1-3) is really excellent stuff, but the whole thing really drops off in quality once volume 4 starts up.

The end of volume 3 is a completely fine ending anyway, so it's probably worth just stopping there.

BKV has the ability craft a fantastic 12 issue story. The problem is that it's on issue 43. I've found myself liking Remender's Low a lot more than I did Saga.

I read issues 1 through 19 today. Should I stop now?

It's a Reddit book filled with BKV's identity politics, what's there to talk about?
No read it, it's definitely worth going through if you like the art enough but don't expect some profound writing in there.

>It's a Reddit book
This doesn't even mean anything anymore

Yeah but you know it's true here.

Sup Forums gets more triggered than an sjw at hooters when they have to look at anyone that isn't a white dude so they quit reading.

t. Sup Forumsmbler with shit taste.

You realize you're just proving his point, right?

Your point is retarded though considering Sup Forums likes variety of non white mc books. Take Deadly Class for example.
I personally quit reading because the book has no sense of stakes or urgency and all it's good for is emotionally manipulating you through shock factor. That's not something I'm looking for and most of the Reddit that loves this book are feelsfag that love the "muh mind-blowing twist" kind of storytelling. There's not enough of text or subtext, there's no grand idea being explored, no revelatory themes being explored, no profound messages being conveyed
I actually have this same disgust for most of the Image books, but Saga is top of the list for me.

Sadly. Pretty true.

> it's a BKV doesn't know what to do so he abruptly kills off a character for cheap shock value episode

Wicked and Divine is the better tumblr Image book

Literally has nothing to do with this and everything in the writing going to shit. Did you not even read the op?

Real reason is people don't like to read stories about being a parent. Sup Forums is not the intended audience for this comic.

Besides, why does one need validation from Sup Forums? Read what you want and shit post about what you want.

I love Saga.

BKVfags are mostly Reddit or Tumbler user and that's the only argument they can come up with. These guys worship this "baby's first non big 2 author" like he's the savior of comics.

That chick on the left died for absolutely no raisin and it's kinda the point where the series began to sour for me

Ya, I feel the exact same way. I liked her a lot, but after that, I just couldn't get invested into the story or characters anymore. It felt so cheap, the story went from to LOL LOOK AT THIS DRAGON SUCKING IT'S OWN COCK to, LOL SHE'S DEAD NOW! LOOK HOW EDGY WE ARE!

I couldn't let myself get emotionally involved if that's the way he treats his characters and writing. At least when say GRRM kills someone off it's never really out of nowhere even though it may feel like it is. There's reason behind it that seems all too obvious after the fact.

BKV is Kirkman for fedorafags.

I'm going to be honest hear I stopped caring because I remember the endings to Ex Machina and Y the Last Man. See I was miffed by the ending of Y but I grew to accept it. Ex Machina was so terrible I think it might be the worst ending to a really good comic series I ever read. See he tries to write ending with genuine stakes thinking it makes him some great writer but often enough his execution becomes so ham handed and random it feels like it comes from nowhere. Ex Machina literately ends with saying McCain winning was the outcome of the main character giving up his morals and killing his friend. Saga is him without anyone telling him what might be a bad idea. He can be a very good writer but him without a real editor is when his flaws really come out. Also his quote "I decided to give Ex Machina a sad ending because all superhero stories don't end" sorry but unless you have the main character kill himself like in Vigilante, you are not special because of a sad ending.

Brian K. Vaughan killing off his characters isn't anything new. I get invested in just about every character, and even though they may die, I'm glad he keeps them dead.

The Big 2 have abused death and resurrection to the point where their own characters don't care about dying because they joke about coming back.

That seriously takes me out of a story. Marvel's 4th wall breaking over death in comics is a fucking travesty. It's not clever; it's crippling to characters and readers.

Well I'm enjoying Saga more than I ever liked Y (which I always felt was overrated), so hopefully that continues

>see this thread
>o ya Saga was starting up again
>check out new issue
>pic related it literally the first page

Here's your answer op.

LOL, you couldn't be more wrong or more thirsty for validation in your pleb choice of reading capeshit.

It was clearly so the reporters could get back into the thick of things.
Then again I've only read through book 2 so not sure if they ever actually do.

I loved the endings to Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. Both endings were appropriate for their respective themes.

Nigger reading baby's first non capeshit isn't a higher bar. When you actually decide to grow up and stop read shitty genre fiction, come talk to me.

It's been going on for way too long. As others have said, this could have been a great story if it were trimmed down and had an ending by now. But it's been going so long and stretched so thin that anything interesting about it has been slowly evaporating till it got to the point it's at now. It's like how most people agree Final Fantasy stopped being good but will debate where it all went wrong or how everyone has their own opinion on when Korra stopped being entertaining (or if it even was at all). Point is, it's just been going for so long that it has a "lost interest point" for everyone.

Y like I said i accept it, but Ex never landed right because one it was rushed as hell, it implied a character arc that never really was there, like the comic tried to be about his fall but when all the fall happens in the last issue, the rest of the comic is him dealing with an issue and trying to do the right thing. I think the ending could have landed but for all that to happen in the last issue was really weak. The fact is I don't think he wrote a really great ending yet for any of his works. I'm waiting it to finish to see if it shits the bed or not. I already think there were some moments that already did anyway.

The tranny is a sign that the story is going stale. Not because anything about the character being trans or the characters personality, but the story suddenly just threw this new character in and now all of a sudden is part of the core family and cast. Always a sign of a story going bad.

80% of my comic collection is non-capeshit.

Creator owned works are on a higher bar. The writers aren't restrained by corporate and editorial mandates.

Sorry, I'm in dire need for some tea.

How so? Saga is a coming of age story for a little girl who grew up surrounded by war. People come in and out of one's life all the time.

The sci-fi, fantasy, and sexual content are metaphors and symbolism.

>80% of my comic collection is non-capeshit.
By that you mean mostly image, so shitty genre fiction. Congrats, if you went to a hipster meeting club, they'll probably tell you to do an actual crash course then apply.

I disagree. Look up necrophilia to know what I'm talkin bout

It's still going and it's still great. It just doesn't revel in the sort of drama and storytelling that makes Sup Forums obsessed. Nothing crazy.

Usually the introduction of a new character late game is trouble. You already have the cast and rhythm of the story and obviously a new character throws a change to that that takes skill to pull off and usually needs to be a gradual process to make someone a core cast. Here it was done very quickly. Literally just jumped onto the ship last minute as opposed to someone like the plant chick druggie whose name I forget. She got mentioned by people, had connections to other characters and when she actually appears is a supporting character who becomes more important as the comic goes on and then becomes part of the core cast of traveling buddies. The tranny literally just shows up and after her introduction goes lol I'm coming to and jumps aboard and is now a central character.

I have bought some Image Comics, yes, but literally 50% of my collection is written by Warren Ellis.

I totally recommend his Avatar Press work.
>Ignition City
>Anna Mercury
>Doktor Sleepless
>Black Summer
>No Hero
>Supergod
>Gravel
>FreakAngels

I love my Invisibles omnibus. Speaking of which, I highly recommend Grant Morrison's The Invisibles. Reading it totally changed my world view.

I don't understand what necrophilia has to do with Saga or this topic.

Why even bring it up? D-do you fuck dead bodies?

He can only kill off so many characters before I stop caring. If I stop caring why would I waste my time reading this?

He's posting it in several threads. I assume he's insane.

You shouldn't.

Speaking as a huge BKV fan and as a fan of Saga, I think if you don't care about the story you should drop it.

Spend your money on something you do care about.

I noticed. I think it's bait, or really dumb shitposting.

>Cover is a breastfeeding black woman
Why would I want to read something that's obviously up it's own ass with heavy handed social messages?

lmfao

Dude I've read all this stuff, that's not what I'm saying here. Ellis' stuff is great, Morrison's indie is all over the place and BKV writes stories for Young Adults to wallow over but his stuff is so exploitative with all the provocative imagery, sex and shock factor that you would not even realize you are reading a YA fiction. When I am thinking best indie stuff this medium has to offer, I think of Art Spiegelman, Chris Ware, David Mazzucchelli, Daniel Clowes. They're the pure auteur of their craft.
There's big 2, there's Image stuff where the word "indie" is thrown around without any meaning and then there's stuff from these guys. If you want to read pure indie comics, try something by these guys, they're good introduction into a whole world that lies beyond the big 3.

>lmfao
Hello reddo.

Oh, I stopped reading after The Will got brain damage and the son of the TV head prince was kidnapped along with the mother being murdered.

The Will recovers and is now an unlicensed rogue merc. The baby ends up fine and grows to a boy on a planet.

I've read Art Spiegelman's Maus, and I loved it.

Have you read Fun Home by Alison Bechdel or Bryan Talbot's Grandeville?

But thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to go look them up.

What about comics by Jodorowsky? His stuff is supposedly hyper sexual, but I'm curious as to your opinion on his work.

Fun home is great, also Jodo is very good but I haven't really read much of his stuff.
I'd also recommend Gene Luen Yang, a personal favorite of mine, his stuff is not super "adult" but it talks a lot about cultural dichotomy and stereotypes.

Pick up Acme Novelty Library by Chris Ware, Ghost World and David Boring by Daniel Clowes, Asterios Polyp (and Year One and Born Again) by David Mazzucchelli.

Writing them down...now.

Thanks!

>his stuff is so exploitative with all the provocative imagery, sex and shock factor that you would not even realize you are reading a YA fiction
Aren't those things the exact staples of YA fiction?

They are but they're not that overt that people would end up calling it "mature."

I think the biggest issue with Saga (and I say this as it is the only comic I am currently reading month to month and not trade to trade) is that so much happens yet so many storylines aren't resolved or given a memorable ending by the end of the arc so it's hard to remember what's going on.

There's a 5-6 month hiatus between volumes, yet I have no fucking clue what's going on. Where's Sophie now? What's The Will up to? Did they ever kill Dengo? I forget! All I can remember is what the main group is up to nowadays and even then they mention stuff from the previous arc that I don't remember 100%

coming back to this, I just read the last issue of the volume and holy fuck, the sidestories with The Will, which used to be rad, aren't what they used to be.

I completely forgot about the whole fucking arc Gwen/Sophie had with Phang and the reveal that Gwen was a dyke. BKV just doesn't make these characters memorable anymore.

>I've found myself liking Remender's Low a lot more than I did Saga.

What? Just because Low is better written and drawn? fuck off!

Its offensive to mention Gillen on a BKV thread