twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

well this isn't prescient or anything

the movie was ok

Oh shit Priest kek.

LOL

Nah, it was great.

That was a whirlwind of autism.

What happen?

I heard Priest encountered the Damifag or something?

Like, you must link me to the shitposting

He needs to lurk more to distinguish specific shitposters from genuine opinions.

I feel like he generally wasn't wrong though. The crossover wasn't as bad as characterfags were making it seem.

Third act/finale kinda sucked but everything else was great. What I didn't expect is the action setpieces are pure Zack Snyder, but the films grounds itself between them so much more effectively than any of the others - so you actually give a shit.

Personal highlight was probably the ice cream. Or maybe Steve trying to chat up Dr. Poison by attempting to convince her he too only cared about death, suffering and destruction.

Hello, Storyteller.

>Princess Di
Well, she did have at least one comics appearance, back when it was a harmless joke, and wouldn't have been hideously awkward.

Damifag was shitting up the Part Four thread too, but I don't have that on hand

OK so turns out Priest reads Sup Forums

lamerciepark.com/wp/?p=597

user made this thread about his most recent blog

Priest starts responding to Sup Forums in the comments

lamerciepark.com/wp/?m=201706

hoily shit

This was still in the Blair years, it would have been incredible. Straight up cancellation in the first few issues of it IMO.

>“The Lazarus Crucifixion of Priest”
I'm only sad in that 1) getting this close to terrible fans is fucking retarded 2) I can easily see editorial beef escalating from this.

On the other hand I haven't seen a Bleeding Cool article about it yet...

Apparently the Daily Fail got wind and, well...

theguardian.com/uk/2003/jun/25/monarchy.pressandpublishing

the boat scene was probably my favorite

>Bleeding Cool
RIP Dwayne.

okay, see, NO GOOD EVER comes of engaging with fans on your blog, but! balls of steel to read all that about your own work, wow.

I dunno, that's a pretty shitty attitude he's got there.

No author has ever gained anything by making the direct sally against fan-space criticism, other than a reputation for being a humorless shitbag

It had so many characterful little touches. Like Diana feeling awkward on seeing a naked Steve because HE was awkward, or Ludendorff (feels weird to have a real historical person) crushing the gun between his hands. There were tons of these in the movie, to its great credit. Loved the Amazons on Themyscira.

At the same time it was primarily another superhero movie and I'm not surprised we're getting "Wonder Woman was not progressive/radical enough" hot takes.

I agree pretty much 100% what he said about Dick desu

Zirch made the argument the other day that you shouldn't take your shit directly to creators, and I generally agree; the flipside is that fans can be as nasty as they want in fan spaces, and if creators venture in, they need to have their big boy/girl pants on and realize the talk there isn't For Them.

Very true. It just doesn't work; power dynamic is too fucked.

I feel the "I only have time to read 10 comics" is more about guest appearances than the primary character he's writing on a title. Like I'm sure Priest as he's rewriting the Inhuman origins is not only reading the past 10 issues of some Inhumans comic. But if he's not interested/doesn't know a character and he features or has to feature them, that's the treatment they get.

Personally I think that's pretty fair and it's certainly deferential to whoever might currently be writing that character but at the same time easy to see why it'll piss off fans.

Some people will never be happy tbqh. I try to avoid that negative chatter on principle.

>Loved the Amazons on Themyscira.
How were they? Cause I oddly haven't heard much about them in the reviews and talk I've seen.

Priest is not a past continuity nitpicker/fiend. It's just not what he is.

>Ludendorff
He was a historical figure, but I don't think anyone in Germany is going to be complaining about his portrayal in this, given his actions following the war.

It's true about the immediate aftermath of Diana in Britain. There wasn't really anything comparable.

Diana is the only kid and they all dote like hell on her, it's cute. They could've gone further with the appearance of them but they're distinct from each other and some are refreshingly butch.

Sure, I just would've expected them to invent somebody.

There was a lot of time spent on the island (didn't check my phone but it felt like 30 minutes), but not a lot of focus on the individual Amazons so I kind of get people not focusing on them.

He's obviously delved in Deathstroke.

Right, but he's not Ewing, or the slightly different Johnsian angle

I love all the Phat=Eminem stuff

Fuck Milligan was on fire for this run.

I'm surprised he brought back Pat, even if it was just for a little cameo/way to connect different players together

god, this is amazing

So, basically, they're just people who happen to be warrior women living on an island? The Amazons are allowed to just be, without any dumb shit attached? Cool.

Yeah but he's not like Ewing or even Johns tier hey-remember-this-obscure thing
Wolfman is one of his buddies I think so I can get reading his stuff

You know, I kind of feel like Nick Spencer read this run at a formative period, because the sense of humor here and THE FIX has some kinship

Someone in another thread mentioned you guys knew a lot about Hawkman. What are some comics of his to check out for a newbie?

Tim Truman's Hawkworld mini followed by Ostrander Hawkworld run, but feel free to ditch it before the end it gets weeeeird

There's a lot to enjoy in the Kubert-drawn older stuff. Johns walks you through the background but he's playing heavily with continuity, but it's still a fun read.

I didn't realise wolfguy is That Guy in your MFA.

Why am I laughing??

Hawkworld! Mostly standalone and absolutely amazing

also Johns Hawkman is pretty accessible, despite some retconning

The Tony Isabella Shadow War era is pretty charming, but you'll have to pirate it

He absolutely is. So many of these characters are, with slight tweaking, immediately relevant

Holy shit Priest came to Sup Forums!? I haven't even read Laz Contract yet because i'm not gonna rush to any titans anything with that title
There was one fight scene (the one in all the trailers) that I like laughed at it was so Snydery. Like I thought dude guest directed for a bit.

also the shitty 3rd act final battle CGI set piece problem is like a genre wide one

>In fact, I'd really like to do a story where David Beckham joins X-Statix. He's the perfect example of some whose powers - the ability to boot a ball around - have been dwarfed by his celebrity status.

>I'd like to have him run around in a spandex superhero costume, become a homoerotic pin-up, get his nose busted in a fight with the Hulk and, as a result, have millions wiped off his "share price".

hey is Texanon here?

I love what a horrible person everyone in this comic is

Speaking of horrible comics, there was a puff piece on Gabby Rivera on PBS tonight, and I just stared at the TV

>also the shitty 3rd act final battle CGI set piece problem is like a genre wide one
It's just boring. There's a lack of a sense of impact in fight scenes you get a lot in cape movies too.

And yeah the whole trench scene up to the church is incredibly Snydery. You know, she stands triumphant on top of this ruined chapel, the slow-mo dark sequences with the hero lit-up. The stuff with the war of the gods is all in the exact same visual style too. But Snyder is an aesthetic some people are really into, and even if you're not those people this movie did a much better job at making it a stylistic part of a decent movie than an overwhelming presence to the detriment of other parts.

It's always weird to be reminded that the rest of the board is aware of these threads.

I like that we have a reputation for liking Hawkman

Speak for yourself, I do dwell on the wider board.

I THOUGHT IT WAS FUCKING SHIT!! I WANF TO RAPE PATTY JENKINS TO DEATH AND SHIT ON HER CORPSE!!!!

>there was a puff piece on Gabby Rivera on PBS tonight
For America? Or has she done anything more noteworthy?

Still, lol

I was laughing my ass off at the church being destroyed at the end. It was so close to surviving the war!!

The actor really sold the big bad for me until he got all powered up CGI. really loved him Said it a million times already but I need him to come back as AzzAres

Yeah, it was about America. And her YA book.

SPEAKING OF YA, oh my god, if you think comics fans get stupid and bitchy on twitter, it's nothing compared to YA book fandom, and I am so here for all the rage about Runaways crossing the streams

Not sure if spandex nouveau is a real thing or not.

that was quite the sex joke, damn

>and I am so here for all the rage about Runaways crossing the streams
yeah, ditto

What was it saying? I get the impression she very much believes in her own hype, I'd love to see something that gets under the skin a bit.

I suppose if we have to be known for something, that's fine.

Oddly, I don't think you've run any Hawk stuff since I joined this little clique. There was that Hawkgirl mini(the cosmic vagina), which I missed, and Return of Hawkman, which was part of Johns JSA.

OK I'm sorry but these catwalk outfits are fucking trash. Get the fuck out of here.

People who laugh at scenes they aren't supposed to weird me the fuck out. They annoy me too if they happen to be in the same screening I am, but they mostly weird me out.

pbs.org/newshour/bb/meet-writer-marvels-first-queer-latina-superhero/

>f you think comics fans get stupid and bitchy on twitter, it's nothing compared to YA book fandom, and I am so here for all the rage about Runaways crossing the streams

oh boy.

speaking of Discourse there has been some fine stuff about a podcast getting a graphic novel

Pretty sure that's the point

I hadn't heard of this but let me guess: it's MBMBAM/Adventure Zone?

Here's Tex's thoughts:

Is he counting D.C., or Puerto Rico?

I love that the DC license plates read "Taxation without Representation"

>speaking of Discourse there has been some fine stuff about a podcast getting a graphic novel
Is it Nightvale?

yeah. wild, wild stuff.

Nah they should have been wild. Give me the Alexander McQueen
X-Statix, it's the right time period for it.

It's super popular and it's literally a D&D campaign, doesn't surprise me they could adapt it. What are people salty about?

So like, does this mean there's finally a female-led comic book movie that doesn't blow ass? Cause that's kind of a big deal.

There's been a lot of pieces about that, where have you been?

>My parents were huge Marvel comic fans, and X-Men fans, and my brother too. And so through them, comics have had, like, some sort of place in my life.
>They approached me via email, and I totally screamed, and, like, ran around, like, “Oh my God, it’s Marvel.” And at first I thought it was like a scam email. Like, “Oh, like, I’m a Marvel prince and I have, like $100,000 for you,”
>She has, like, ownership of her own body and her destination, and that’s like a gift that not many of us are afforded.
I shouldn't, like, make fun of something I also do I guess.

Great last panel. I want a textless print of it.

The earnestness is charming but the comic is bad :(

They tried to make it more diverse and online is Never Satisfied is the short version. Like Takko was gonna be brown and then they realized that was not good and then they made him green and that and other stuff apparently he was maybe antisemitic looking? So he's like blue now? their tumblr/website had a big long apology/explanation post about it

i actually like it and need to like figure out how to defend it.

I haven't seen a rage farming Storytime of Pain for it since the third issue came out, so maybe people are forgetting about it.

figure out what you think it does that nothing else does, and just bullet point out the moments/panels, that's a good start

>i actually like it and need to like figure out how to defend it.
you could go the same route as that one article where the author said they were being 100% pandered to and liked it for that rather than trying to convince anybody that it's actually good

Admitting it's your idfic is always a possible move

>the author said they were being 100% pandered to and liked it for that rather than trying to convince anybody that it's actually good

i'm a straight cis white dude tho

it is definitely hitting a certain itch that isn't being scratched elsewhere in comics right now tho. where are my good teen books ;_;

this is uncomfortably like a lot of current posturing from various fringe communities, lol

The way Gabby speaks in the interview is the exact same way the comic is written. She highlights that the character and the author matching gives authenticity, it's an advantage, but it can also be a millstone.