What is it about L.A. that makes animators and artists flock to it? L.A. is a fucking terrible place to live

What is it about L.A. that makes animators and artists flock to it? L.A. is a fucking terrible place to live.

It's the only place in the US where the animation industry exists.

Because of CalArts?

The industry is way too fucking centralized for its own good.

It's where the vast majority of paying jobs are.

Specifically in Burbank.

Hell I don't want to live there but if I can get a job there yeah I'm gonna move. Better than the work I'm doing now.

That's where the industry is so people go there and in turn the industry stays there.

Isn't anime the same way with Tokyo?

LA is where the entertainment industry resides

L.A has always been foundation where movies are made. Major studios are located there so it becomes a flocking point for any artist or animators to become successful. L.A is a terrible place to live but it is the only place where the animation industry is at least thriving.

CalArts is the symptom, not the cause. It's easier for an artist to found work near where cartoons are near your school.

LA is a terrible place to live because too many people flock to it

The person who wrote this is either naive and underage or just faking ignorance to start a conversation. Either way best to ignore ir.

>In the au where the Fleischer bros beat out Disney, the animation industry is on the east coast
Really makes you think

You'd be surprised how many people don't have a basic understanding of how the entertainment industry works.

They think it's all some grand design being orchestrated by some cabal with some high minded ideological goal in mind.

As opposed to just people trying to figire out what they can do thats enteryainment relayed in ordee to get paid.

Cause thats where the industry is?

Do you expect a fisherman to work in a middle of a desert, or a gold miner to be in a farm?

>L.A. is a fucking terrible place to live.
why not ask the 10 million people who live there

All 10 million of them are mutants.

I have never heard anyone who lives in LA say they like it. They like the opportunities it presents but the city itself is a hellscape.

I live in LA. If I could afford to leave I'd be gone tomorrow.

Everyday I drive through the traffic congested streets there's one more store that's closed down, and three more billboards in spanish.
We are apparently in the top 10 list for the worst maintained roads in America.

The swirling ring of smog persists in spite of the autistic push for alternative fuel vehicles that just congest the roads even more because they section off lanes on the freeway just for them.

They actually just passed a law here that says that communists can openly serve in government now.

If you have any Californians in your state, round them up because they will destroy your home like we destroyed ours.

Because that's where fucking Hollywood is and where big movies had been made for a century with people flocking there for movie making in general.

Disney won in the end with Snow White.
Fleischer could never keep up with them in full length features.

I like it. But I keep north (Burbank, Glendale, etc.)

This. Until someone manages to make a studio somewhere in middle America that produces cartoons for mass audiences then the industry is going to stay where it is

I'm going there in a two weeks to meet studios, will hopefully be doing some animation stuff. Gonna sneak around Sony to see if I can meet Genndy for sure.

But my issue, at least the issue I perceive with Los Angeles is that it's really fucking industry oriented. It's made to be lowest-common-denominator entertainment and nobody has any historical cultural knowledge of even other classic cinema.

Because Disney, no?

Capitalism was a fucking mistake.

>What is it about LA that makes filmmakers and actors flock to it? LA is a fucking terrible place to live.

>husband wants to move out of Louisiana after he gets his truckers licenses
>thinks anywhere is better because they don't have the oil industry running most of the jobs
Is he right?