Wonder woman's invisible jet

So, is the invisible jet ever going to be relevant again? Is even possible to take it seriously, instead of a joke, like in the lego movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFpv1wOwRnA
youtu.be/ig4aJey9QZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Didn't Grant give the Amazonians some invisible vagina jets?

Stealth mode really isn't anything special anymore.

I vaguely remember it being in a DC Super Hero Girls episode where she didn't remember where it was parked, or something like that.

Not sure how you treat that idea seriously in the first place.

I miss the Wonder Dome

I'm probably just being autistic, but I don't get how the invisible jet ISN'T cool.

Jets = Cool, Top Gun, etc.
Invisibility = Badass! Come on!
Invisible Jet = Holy fuck I want one!

I really just get the feeling that this is a rampant normie meme, like Family Guy Aquaman jokes.

Again, stealth mode isn't really special. Most vehicles in fiction become invisible these days.

youtube.com/watch?v=AFpv1wOwRnA

That pretty much is the reasoning behind Detective chimp, and some other "neat + neat = $$$" tricks.

And that's also the big problem: what's neat now, isn't relevant within a couple months. Who gives a shit about top gun? Or the invisible woman?

Well Wonder Woman can fly, so is kinda hard to find it a use.

>Wonder Woman can fly
Sometimes.

When you need to move cargo or more than like 5 people.

>Not sure how you treat that idea seriously in the first place.
just make it an aircraft with a conventional scifi cloaking device.

I'm sure that in the DCEU they'll have Batman make it for her.

You can walk, so why do you need a car?

Don't be an idiot.

youtu.be/ig4aJey9QZM

Is she invisible inside the jet or you can see everyone inside it?

>The entire point about the invisible jet is to let wonder woman play the soccer mom role by driving everyone around.

I can't imagine the feminist face if this happens

She's invisible too. It's just for the audience's benefit like when you're reading a GL comic and the alien speech is written in English because the ring is translating.

Because the car is faster, but Diana is usually shown to travel to other countries in matters of seconds, and doesn't have to worry about parking her jet.

Wow, you want some muscle relaxant after stretching that hard?

It's artistic license, nimrod.

Why does everyone suddenly go full retard when it comes to this thing? It's an invisible jet plane, and this is apparently the most confusing thing ever, that instantly melts people's already barely extant brain cells. Goddamn.

I kind of liked the origin for the jet in the Crisis on Two Earths movie myself. Sadly I dont think it really works for her anymore, unless say its a gift from the US government? I dont know.

1) That's a result of DC trying to make her more lime Superman, which recent events have conclusively proven was quite unnecessary.

2) Doesn't really matter how fast she can fly, she can't carry cargo and passengers with only two hands and a rope. Not safely anyway.

The Rebirth origin of the jet was cool
Amazons engineers stuck magic invisible scales on it when they were fixing Steve Trevor's plane from when he crash landed

Post yfw she uses the invisible lavatory on the invisible jet.

I was waiting for a little wink at the idea in the movie

>Diana and Steve are approaching the boat
>S: We're taking that?
>D: What did you expect?
>S: With what I've seen so far? An invisible plane.

Thank Hera you're not a screenwriter.

Literally all you have to do is make a stealth jet that can turn invisible.

NOT THAT FUCKING HARD

I've always thought the invisijet was a dumbass idea. Just have her fly ffs.

>more flying bricks

Wasn't she originally about the equivalent of Captain America?

Post-Crisis she has literally always been able to fly.

No, that was Steve Trevor.

Captain America isn't even on the same power level that he originally was so you have to be more specific.

How? His name being Steve and him crashing a plane is not enough to make Trevor Cap's equivalent.

Why is that interesting though? The audience has seen shit like that a million times.

The jet was best when it could transform into any vehicle.

Also note that the jet is faster than any conventional jet and Diana can control it with her mind, and the transforming version could shrink down to a ball that could fit in her pocket.

If you really don't see the versatility of such a vehicle, I don't know what's wrong with you.

No, he means Steve was literally a Captain America pastiche.

The whole point of Wonder Woman was the have a feminine superhero, and Steve was supposed to show that even a macho Nazi killer like Captain America does not lose anything by being saved by a woman.

No, she was always as strong and fast as Superman, but back then Superman was a lot less powerful as well.

She gained the ability to "glide on air currents" a little after Superman gained the ability to fly.

Cap was also never superpowered like in the movies, he's "peak human" putting his strength on the same level as the strongest real life person.

If by "a little after" you mean "like fifteen years after" then sure. There was also a big difference underlined between gliding and flying, where gliding is clearly a slow, methodical thing that has to be practiced instead of the convenience of "real" flight. She couldn't actually fly until post crisis. Don't play the nerd trivia game if you're going to just read wikipedia.

>Steve Trevor crashes jet on the island
>Amazonians use magic to repair it to how it was before it crashes
>the the still visible magic that came from from Zeus the god of the sky makes it look like the sky "invisible while flying"

You could make the scales from a time that Zeus turned into an animal to fuck someone

The vagina jet was one of the best things to come out of WW: Earth One. They really need to start picking out some of Grant's ideas and bringing them into continuity.

I support the jet, mostly because I want to move WW as far away from Superman as possible, and taking her flight away is a good step in that direction.

>So, is the invisible jet ever going to be relevant again?

Hope not, the whole concept is incredibly, unbelievably idiotic.

Who knows, Justice League didn't have her fly one, but when Unlimited got around she somehow already has it and nobody questions it.

But really, if the DCEU really takes off I want her to fly a jet like the Javelin or something not even invisible.

That's really boring and it doesn't really make sense that out of the whole League, only WW would have one.

Versatility isn't the problem. It's that kind of vehicle just seems a bit too much, a bit too outlandish. I know that sounds weird with WW dealing with shit from Greek Myth. But demigod child of zeus deals with greek shit is a bit more acceptable than "This plane is invisible and can turn into any other kind of vehicle and turn into a little thing they can fit into their pocket when not needed!" That just reads like something someone's deviantart OC would have.

>"It's bad because it triggers my autism. Everything should be all Greek all the time!"
Cancer. Go kill yourself.

I never brought up the plane not fitting the greek theme being a problem. I'm fine with her bringing tech from the modern world, like planes, to her island. I just thought that version of the invisible jet was way too much.

It doesn't exactly work with her current general design and lore. I mean what about WW says "she should have a high tech jet", let alone invisible.
Want to take her flight away? Give her a Pegasus or Apollo's chariot, something at least vaguely greek or mythological since that's most of her schtick now.

Her flight is too iconic to take away now.

She just needs to not be able to fly at light speed like Superman, which is what her flight was actually like post-Crisis.

The stuff with her flying as fast as Superman and tanking hits from worldbreakers as well as sometimes being bulletproof only came about after Infinite Crisis when some idiots up at DC decided to make her female Superman.

Hopefully the movie finally gets people to get a fucking clue and stop doing that.

The Morphing Disk jet was awesome before it became the Wonderdome and I honestly think if they didn't make it the Wonderdome it would've stuck around. Wonderdome was just TOO versatile. It could split into multiple giant air vehicles, it could retrieve her friends from anywhere in the world, it was just too much.

Didn't she start out by someone at DC going "Hey, what if we had a female Superman?"

These comments that the Invisible Jet which can turn into other objects doesn't fit the Greek theme is just kinda narrow-minded and ignorant of Greek mythology

The God's themselves shapeshifted all the time, Zeus has been a Swan, a golden shower, an eagle, a bull

And saying that a jet is too advanced keep in mind that Hephaestus (or Daedalus in some versions) created Talos which was basically an ancient Greek robot made out of bronze running on God blood

Throw in Hades' Cap of Invisibility and Hermes' Winged Sandals and all of the elements composing the Invisible Jet are there in the myths

I got no problem with the jet being invisible, I got a problem with it being able to turn into anything with seemingly no limits. Yes, the gods shape shifted into pretty much anything but they're gods and this jet shouldn't be on the same level as a god.

Which is why I mentioned Talos running on ichor

Divine god blood as fuel is a comic booky enough explanation for why it can shapeshift. Just limit it to nonliving shapes and probably keep it from going full Wonder Dome levels

No, not exactly.

Superman was popular and so other superheroes were popular as well, William Moulton Marston noticed there weren't female superheroes that were strong power fantasies like Superman and Flash but rather detectives and spies and even nurses.

So he created Wonder Woman to be a super powerful hero who also embodied the virtues of femininity like love and protection, she was meant to show boys and girls that being feminine didn't mean being duplicitous or less-powerful.

I suppose you COULD say she was female Superman, but only to the same extent that ALL superheroes of the time were descended from Superman.

Well, the whole point of the shapeshifting is to address peoples' complaints that an Invisible Jet isn't useful to someone who can fly, which I still believe is false but if it gets people to accept the jet I'm fine with it.

I think the best method is just to have the Jet be a jet but only have her use it when it's useful, like how Batman doesn't use the Batmobile or Batplane most of the time, just when it proves useful for the situation.

I just can't think of a situation that could come up often enough for her to warrant a jet unless they removed the flying from her power set.

But why does it have to be some generic jet? It's not too outlandish for Greek myth to have high tech (Altantean automatons are another example) but they're made from antique materials and with antique tech.
Here it's just some generic modern jet that happens to be invisible because reasons. It's not bronze and it doesn't run on God blood.

And really the only arguments I've seen for it are "it would take her flight away" (you don't need a jet specifically for that) and "it's a useful gadget" which, sure but so would a teleporting hoppity hop, that doesn't mean she has to have one.

How about: Wonder Woman can fly, but only, say, 100 mph. The jet lets her travel longer distances much faster. That's the way I always rationalized it.

There is no actual jet, Wonder Woman just has some really OP telekinesis she wants to keep on the down-low.

>remove flight
Honestly, I wish they would at this point, if only to get people to stop bitching about the being "useless".

And frankly, there are waaaaaaaay too many flying bricks. Diana is compared to Superman far too much as it is, so let her have this thing that is uniquely hers.

>invisible jet plane
>generic
Words just don't mean anything anymore. And if your myth nerd autism must be satisfied, it was a Pegasus in the form of a jet. Because comic books.

Any time she has to transport anyone other than herself (which occurs quite a bit) being the most obvious.

If she needs a telecommunications device.

If she needs to bring anything with her bigger than what would fit in her pockets.

That's basically how it was from Perez's run on. If she needed to travel a really long way she had Hermes' Sandals that allowed her to go faster, also she couldn't travel to Themyscira without them, but that concept of Themyscira being in another dimension has basically been dropped.

Her being Superman level is a generally new thing I didn't notice till recently going through her entire post-Crisis history. It's really clear now that after Infinite Crisis there was some very heavy-handed attempts by editorial to retool Wonder Woman, which is supposedly why Rucka quit.

>Flying other team members on missions without holding them awkwardly in her arms
>Transporting important artifacts
>Using on board instruments for science shit like detecting atmospheric changes or magical disturbances
>It has a built in GPS and communications system. Diana does not
>Rescue missions so that she has somewhere she can treat injured victims en route

Just imagine her using it as an invisible drop ship, one minute she's fighting an army alone and the next a Minotaur, Artemis, two Wondergirls and Trevor are jumping from out of nowhere because they came in undetected in their cloaked plane

But its design does look generic as fuck aside from it being invisible. Being invisible doesn't make it antique looking or unique, it's just an attribute. Fuck as has been pointed out invisible/cloaked vehicles are a dime a dozen.
Nice handwave with the Pegasus but it doesn't exactly change that it's a fucking jet and it's something that would look more at place in Carol Danvers' bag of tricks than Diana's.

The Batmobile has had dozens of redesigns, why can't the Invisible Jet?

If it's an issue of aesthetic design, you could always take a cue from Earth One and have it be vagina shaped.

I'm fine with it being redesigned and/or re-equiped if you will to be more thematically fitting and unique looking, that's a good step in the right direction imo, I just think it's a lot of effort to justify her using a jet when she could be using vehicles that would feel more unique to her in the first place.

Fucking Batman uses a jet plane, so does Hal whenever he feels like it, so does every pedestrian superhero team over at Marvel.

I don't feel really strongly about this, I don't throw a fit when I see the invisible plane, I just understand why some would refrain from using it.

The design of the jet is indeed generic. It doesn't look like anything Hephaestus or some anccient power would come up with. It looks like a modernish jet propelled aircraft.

Only distinguished by the fact that it can become invisible. As noted, this has become pretty standard for comic character transports these days because people now have a general understanding of low observable technology, so having your big loud aircraft be hard to see via radar/IR/optical observation is pretty much a requirement along with VTOL technology and the ability to be remotely operated (if not outright autonomous).

Hephaestus' designs can't change with the times?

The Invisible Jet is also completely silent.

Yeah, that's one of the things that bugs me with all the people wanting everything Wonder Woman to be Greek-related. The gods haven't just been sitting there doing nothing for the last 3000 years.

I mean, the gods were the most well-received part of Azzarello's run, and they were all modernized versions. And everyone loves JLU, where Hephaestus made a giant fucking robot for Ares.

One of the pre-Crisis explanations for the jet IIRC was that it was Pegasus, who changes with the times to match the current level of technology.

Sounds more like "logical design" as opposed to "generic". Really, planes only have like three options for shapes if you want them to actually work, so I'm not seeing the issue here. Cross, spade, or arrowhead. Pick one.

It's comicbooks dude. Shit that has no business flying flies all the time, especially something magic or divine.

It just seems like it does not fit her whole theme going on.

Typically Wonder Woman is from a bronze age island of toga wearing amazons who use swords and spears, and ride animals. There is rarely any technology presented as everything is magic and mythology. All of her stuff is magical and mostly primitive, relying on the magic aspect to work out as a device.

Then there is this jet, it does not fit at all. Very high advanced technology with scifi equipment on it. It just does not really go well with the brawler/fighter amazon with swords and armor. If she was much more scifi-ish in some way. Had technology based weapons and armor and not magic then maybe it would go well.

If it were a pegasus or a giant eagle or something people would probably have less of an issue about it. Or if it looked a bit more primitive in some way like a bronze clockwork eagle.

It was in Rucka's Year One about half a year back. Amazons covered Steve's jet in magic scales to hide it or something like that

I like her flying via the sandals of hermes.
It makes sense, Hermes was on board with project: amazons from the start, he's like her godfather.

The Amazons used to be presented as highly technologically advanced.

The modern jet was not Themysciran tech, it was of alien origin.

In Year One it was-
Nevermind, this guy said it.

Even though I think more technology should be brought back to the Amazons like in Morrison's Earth One, there's no reason at all you can't modify it to be of magical origin. Like I said, at one point it was explained that Pegasus changes to match the current level of technology.

Well, her power of flight DOES come from Hermes. The sandals just allowed her to fly extra fast and cross the dimensional nexus between our world and Themyscira.

One of the only unique ideas that Rucka had for rebirth and it wasn't even that original

Earliest Wonder Woman was all about her magic stuff anyway. Think more along the lines of Batman only instead of gadgets she had magical equipment that gave her powers while wearing/using them.

She was a highly trained fighter but relied on a magic tiara that cuts anything and always returns to her hand, bracers that cannot be damaged, sandals that make her superhumanly fast, and the lasso that does nearly everything else like form up tornadoes or block fire.