Similar to Black Cauldron, Disney wants to pretend this movie never came to existance

Similar to Black Cauldron, Disney wants to pretend this movie never came to existance.

>What went wrong with it?
>Was it really that bad?
>Any ironic/unironic fans here?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdhUnFsf3g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is, but I can understand somebody not liking it. It's basically Disney trying to be Dreamworks.
I think it's a fun movie though.

> what went wrong with it

it was just a needlessly over-convoluted retelling of a moral fable. Hoodwinked did everything about the general premise better.

I liked this movie as a kid

I think this is the most confusing poster to any disney movie. that Porcupine, Morkubine Porcupine, is just a background character with 3 lines in the whole movie, the poster doesn't even have Abby or Chiken Little's dad who are much more important characters

also confusing is the Meet The Robinson's poster including Lizzy (the girl with the fire ants) on it. But that's not as bad I guess because I think she was in the movie a little bit more than Morkubine

>what was wrong with it
Tried too many jokes with very few of them being funny. Also, not to sound like Enter here, but it really was unnecessarily mean-spirited. Not that mean-spirited stuff is bad, but here it feels completely out of place and distracting.
>Was it really that bad?
Yeah, pretty much.
>Any ironic/unironic fans here?
Honestly, it's worth a watch just because of how bizarre it is. I think it's a misfire, but it's clear there was a lot of effort put into it.

>what when wrong with it?
It was a recipe for disaster, a four course meal of no siree

One Little Slip is unironically one of the best songs in a non-musical animated Disney film.
But I'm Still Here is still the best one.

Meet the Robinsons and pic related saved Walt Disney Animation Studios from their second dark age and started the second renaissance, even if pic related is a live action movie.

Meet the Robinsons is actually the first movie of the second renaissance.
Bolt wasn't the start and it clearly wasn't The Princess and the Frog.

uh cool. but I don't see how it's relevant since I didn't say anything about the movie except for the poster

Doesn't really "feel" like a Disney movie, same with MtR and HotR. There's a good reason Disney shuns these movies; they don't really line up with the integrity the company wants to live up to in the publics eye. The early 2000s was a creative wasteland in the world of Disney, company wide. The company was running out of steam from the Disney Decade, and it showed.

I haven't seen it in years, so I went to look up stuff about it, and
>Goosey Loosey
>Runt of the Litter
>Fish Out of Water
What the fuck is up with some of these names?

Treasure Planet and Atlantis: The Lost Empire both didn't feel like the stereotypical Disney movie either and they were still very great.
Too bad they bombed even if they were very great because CGI movies and silly parodies like Shrek were the craze at the time.

Imagine if Frozen was hand-drawn instead of CGI, everyone would be back to making hand-drawn animated movies.

Also, Meet the Robinsons is a pretty great movie; and as I mentioned, that movie, alongside Enchanted, kickstarted the second Disney Renaissance and saved Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Also, I actually love The Black Cauldron.
Not one of Disney's best but it's definitely decent.

>tfw Black Cauldron is the only non Package film to not get a Blu Ray release

You can buy it on iTunes for the meantime since the iTunes release is HD.
Also, I think it's a safe bet to get the iTunes version as soon as possible in case they would probably screw up the Blu-ray remaster like they did with The Sword in the Stone.

And for The Sword in the Stone, if you buy it now in iTunes, you will get the Blu-ray remaster instead of the iTunes remaster.
And the Blu-ray remaster was awful.

Treasure Planet felt like a typical 90s Disney movie considering it had

- a lame montage segment
- multiple annoying comic relief characters
- a villain that's way more interesting than the protagonists

and so on. Treasure Planet sucks.

>implying Treasure Planet is not one of Disney's most underrated animated movies

Treasure Planet is easily the worst of the post-Renaissance crop of movies, anybody who thinks it's "underrated" is an idiot who's easily entertained by bad 3DCG and X-Games pandering.

>worst post-Renaissance Disney movie
Have you just forgotten about Dinosaur, Chicken Little and Home on the Range?
Those are easily worse.

By post-Renaissance I'm referring to movies like Lilo&Stitch, Atlantis and such, not Dark Age entries.

God I love the way that movie looks, the futuristic 50s thing is so great

It was a terrible movie.

same it was one of my favorites, I rewatched it all the time

And also, it saved Disney from their second dark age.

Their second dark age began with Fantasia 2000 and the last movie of that era was Chicken Little.
Meet the Robinsons started the second Disney Renaissance.

>this existed

Don't remind me.
Also, the director of that movie also made the live-action/CGI Smurfs movie.

I watched it in theaters

Reminder that this exists
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdhUnFsf3g

And if you just put it back where you found it, we can all go back to forgetting it ever existed.

>multiple annoying comic relief characters
all two of them? one of which is considerably more centered and mild than the other?

>lame montage
eat shit.

So this it feels more dream works than disney. As a kid I couldn't register it as a Disney film

young me was so disappointed this song wasn't in the movie considering it was in all the trailers

IT WAS A CUP OF GOOD INTENTIONS

>4U

and Moana ended it.Enjoy plethora of Disney sequels from from now on. Frozen's success and Pixar's safe library made them lazy, greedy fucks.Again.

Uhhh... You do know Disney is sabotaging their CG films just to do hand drawn films again, right?

Don't forget the scooby doo live action movies.

>same director as Emperor's New Groove
What happened?

javascript:quote('
Same what happened with Zootopia recently, they threw him at the very last moment to make it watchable/marketable.

He was ordered by Eisner to make a completely new story based on that chicken tale, seems he's not that good on his own.

those were some dark times.

I think you got it backwards, CGI still prints money, why sabotage it?

I often forget marketers were trying to capitalize on memes as many as 10 years ago. Man.

They want to get back into hand drawn films again and this is the only way how.

It mainly felt like it came out a decade or two too late in how it wanted to handle the mean spiritedness. By that point it was just either cliche or overly harsh.

Memes were different back then user, back then a good meme would last longer than now.
I remember seeing the trailers and it being a big deal to see a "Meme" in a Major film, it was exciting to know that people who worked in the industry were aware of them.

Does this mean Gigantic will be hand-drawn?
They are actually trying to do rotoscoped CGI for some of their short films like Paperman.

It's not cel-shaded, they rendered it in CGI first then they rotoscoped it by hand the same way they would do it with live-action.

They still have CG movies set and planed, give it time, they will come back.

I like how the father was legitimately ashamed of his son until he found his son was actually right. Nothing like shitty parenting being redeemed by forced music playing over aliens running amok.

>muh paperman engine

Dude, it was just a experiment, and nothing else, sure Disney can sneak in some 2D info CGI (like mini-Maui in Vaiana) but it's still not profitable to return to full 2D features.

The demand for 2D films exists, people are getting sick of CG films and WIR2 is proof that Disney is sabatoging their CG films as it's the only way to get hand drawn films again.

But with utterly SHITTY designs.

I find it ironic that Abby was actually kinda hot.

it was literally too american for me
>my son is good at baseball now I love him again

also every character that didn't belong to the main cast had the EXACT SAME BASE MODEL

>WIR2 is proof that Disney is sabatoging their CG films as it's the only way to get hand drawn films again.
What?

This is even worse because it's my native tongue.

I didn't mind the movie as a kid, but looking back retrospectively, yeah it's terrible. It literally had no direction whatsoever. It's pretty much Targeted Marketing Gone Wrong: The Animated Movie

Masz na myśli "language" not "tongue".

>cgi makes billions every year, audience surely is bored of it!

He's dumb.

>Masz na myśli
What the fuck did you just say to me?

ITT stupid theories and speculation about Disney.

On the other hand, knowing what we know now after the Sony leaks everything could be true.

Also why are people forgetting Mars needs Moms as the absolute worst Disney bomb?

It's fairly recent.

Regarding the 2D movie department stuff: Wouldn't they have to completely rebuild from scratch?
All the cutting edge talent, know how and equipment we saw in the Lion King making-of has been gone for over a decade.

Their 2D stuff is TV and direct to video now. Cost efficient (cheap) but not really structured for a full movie production.

So building up a new 2D movie studio would be a big investment, mainly because they don't have a trained army of veteran 2D animators any more.

I unironically love this movie. I think it's because Chicken Little's friends reminds me of the unabashedly dorky friends I used to have.

Mars Needs Moms is the worst animated bomb but despite being distributed by Disney, it isn't part of the Disney Animated Canon (specifically movies by Walt Disney Animation Studios, and Dinosaur).

I remember thinking it was decent after having seen it in the cinema and having played the fuck out of the game

I liked it when I was a kid.
I'm in my early 20s now and I still wouldn't mind seeing it again.

>So building up a new 2D movie studio would be a big investment, mainly because they don't have a trained army of veteran 2D animators any more.

this is dark age for traditional animation, just like in the 70s... cartoons from that era were so lacking.

>what went wrong with it
Uninspired humour, boring characters, bland plotline.

>Was it really that bad?
Yes. In fact, it was worse.

Please don't compare this pop shit to black cauldron.

I don't know why they ignore black cauldron, it's pretty kick ass. I love it's grim art style.

I wonder if Disney will ever re-release the package films. They weren't great, but they're still a piece of Disney history that few people have seen.

>people are getting sick of CG films

only trendy young adults and hipster-like teens are

Kids dont really care but their parents still prefer 3D CGI to any tipe of 2D,Doug Walker explains it very well on his video, normal adult people just dont relate to 2D.

>Literally 2 months apart in release
Yet they cancel Woody and Buzz. Sometimes Japan just asks for a third bomb.

My younger brother is autistic and there was an 8 month period where he had to watch this every night before bed.
I have this fucking movie memorized.

Why did both movies make out the outcome of a baseball game is the difference between whether or not one wins the love of parents?

I'd say Fantasia 2000 was the last Renaissance movie. It was the culmination of work being done throughout the entire decade. Like between films, crews would work on making a Fantasia segment.

Steadfast Tin Soldier and Pines of Rome were in animation phases before Toy Story was even a thing.

And the worst part is that that Summon was complete shit

>Also why are people forgetting Mars needs Moms
Because nobody saw that shit and we pretend it never happened

I guarantee we're going to see a Fantasia 2020 and it will save 2D animation

>Fantasia 2020

it's going to be CGI.

This. Chicken Little is so much more hateable for being an embarrassing blot on this list. All of the other Disney distributed crap like Mars Needs Moms from other studios I can at least ignore, but with Chicken Little it's an official thing they made that unfortunately just exists as having come from the same place as good movies like Lilo and Stitch. I can stand by every single other movie in this image to some capacity (yes, even Home on the Range) but not Chicken Little. It just really doesn't belong.

>tfw they make a new Fantasia movie
>but it doesn't have Destino

plot was shit, designs terrible, characters inch deep, no good OST, obnoxious camera movement. I love me some mean spirited stuff, but is just terrible.

Man, Chicken Little was shit but not really as bad as all that. The thing on that list that offends me that it even exists is Home on the fucking Range

Hand drawn films released on Blu Ray & DVD also male billions.

Whats your point.
Their TV stuff is now shit, it's not the lush beautiful artwork that matched up to their features like it was in the 90s (Kennedy not with standing. Also Sunwoo started off bla on Rescue Rangers but got better as the show went on).

See pic for detail.

But Meet the Robinsons is shit.

No Mickey and the Gang = no sale.

I very nearly almost replied seriously but you're just TMSfag

Report and ignore

he has a boner for Lassetter, it was first movie he worked on after they kicked out Eisner.

Now why will you think that? He won't go this deep in detail in a topic like this.

Home on the Range was a shameless attempt to kill 2D by making a film miles below the level of Disney's usual standard, but I still find it tolerable. It was mostly just mediocre when you sit down and compare it to other lower quality non Disney movies, the animation and style wasn't exactly bad, and it actually had a pretty good villain song. At least Home on the Range wasn't a poor attempt at a Shrek knockoff with really shitty CG that looks dated even next to Toy Story with all the same faults as HotR (bad uninteresting story and characters, etc) and none of its saving graces.

>What went wrong with it?

I remember watching this as a kid and being broadly unimpressed with it right until the end, then the ending came and retroactively rendered the whole thing absolute dogshit. That ass-pull with the bits of sky and the fakeout invasion was just the absolute worst and I've not seen a cheaper ending since the Power Of Three episode of Doctor Who. Fuck that episode was shit.

The Black Cauldron underperformed and will never be considered a true classic, but I'd want a blu ray of that movie just for the Horned King alone; by comparison, the only thing I liked about Chicken Little was the "you have hate mail" line. And Queen I guess. Can't go wrong with Queen.

The film stared off at the TV unit and was shoved into the feature unit just to kill it off, thats why it was quality issues.

Just wondering but why is Little Mermaid considered the beginning of the Renaissance and not Oliver and Company?

becuase disney is for girls.

And Warner Bros is for boys.

What else is new.

You know I've never understood this either. It wasn't nearly as big of a hit but it WAS commercially successful, saw a return to classic animation techniques that were a hallmark of the Disney Renaissance, and was explicitly the reason that they started making annual 2D movies again. It seems like it's just overlooked in favor of The Little Mermaid, maybe it's because it wasn't a critical success?

Mind Break in a Disney film

Not sure, but I think Oliver and Co was only a moderate success and not a huge breakout hit gamechanger that made them launch a whole new formula to their upcoming movies. Notice how after Oliver and TLM, we only have one other "talking animals in modern day setting with child sidekick" movie with Rescuers Down Under, and the entire rest of the Renaissance is dominated by princesses, princes, fairytales, and adaptations of beloved classics.

you forgot they're ALL musicals.

and now what we have? Pixar's "what if X had feelings"

They are, but I didn't want to mention that when comparing them to Oliver specifically, because Oliver does have several broadway musical style songs.