As much as I love animation, I have to confess that I've never watched Disney's classic movies. Growing up...

As much as I love animation, I have to confess that I've never watched Disney's classic movies. Growing up, they were always referenced and parodied to the point where the movies felt cheesy and old. It's weird - if I think about Sleeping Beauty, I think about a woman being magically put to sleep and a prince riding in to save her, but the movie is 75 minutes long according to Wikipedia. Has to be a whole lot more to it than that.

So which of the old movies are the best? Do they still hold up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2HLy3OfTHGc
youtube.com/watch?v=MeX_vF3l54w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Snow White is alright, Sleeping Beauty is pretty meh, but it was the weakest of the Disney movies of it's eras too, Cinderella I feel still holds up rather well and I fucking love the Rescuers.

Pinocchio my nigga

>Has to be a whole lot more to it than that.

Visuals, song sequences, comedy relief (don't worry, it's the best part) and bad ass climax fight

Sleeping Beauty is fantastic, the animation style is awesome. It still looks great. A lot of the old ones are good.

Sleeping beauty is worth watching just for the 10~ minute scene of a dude fighting a fucking dragon.

The rest of the movie is good too, but that alone should be enough t b h

How many movies, animated or otherwise have a scene like that? A dude straight fighting a dragon. Not like outsmarting it and luring it into a trap, or getting one lucky shot in with a bow from a hundred meters away, but like going at it with just a shield and a sword

watch them all, they created the benchmark of good animation. If anything you should see them just to appreciate the work put into them.

Start with these, then go back and watch the other Disney films if you feel like it.

Also not pictured, Mary Poppins and Who Framed Rager Rabbit are recommended.

You've been missing out. Golden age is best age imo. That's the first five movies, from Snow White to Bambi.

More webms

Sleeping Beauty is a gorgeous movie. And I really do love the use of Tchaikovsky's music.

Fantasia at parts feels more like a work of art than an animated film and I wish there could be more like it.

Shit list.

Aurora best waifu

Agreed.

Everything from Prince Philip's abduction onward is golden.

It really is easier just to try to show someone the animation than just talking about it, I think.

Of course, the classics are still pretty old movies, so that does at least in part show in things like dialogue, story, composition, and values, sometimes coming off a little more "boring" to some audiences used to faster, more modern films. But if you compare them to some other movies of their respective eras, the Disney films really do often have a quality of timelessness about them.

Have you seen all of the Disney Renaissance films (starting at The Little Mermaid and going up to Tarzan)? If not, they're certainly worth checking out too.

>The Little Mermaid is almost 30 years old

Here, have an expanded one.

Plenty of gems to be found all throughout the Disney animated canon, though, of course.

And if that one missed any of your favorites, here's the whole thing.

And have a few backgrounds from Pinocchio.

I fucking love this toyshop

Start with Snow White, it's the very first and most important.

>Ward Kimball: I have a favorite. My favorite picture still is Snow White because it had such a perfect story, it’s just beautiful the way it was put together. Everything clicked!

Definitely watch the big 5:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi

The wartime era ones are not all there, but post WWII there are plenty more classics:
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty

The silver age is hit or miss, above all i'd recommend:
One Hundred and One Dalmations
The Jungle Book
Robin Hood
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
The Rescuers
The Fox and the Hound
The Great Mouse Detective

The Renaissance era is debateably better than even the big five (i'd disagree but it's a popular opinion):
The Little Mermaid
The Rescuers Down Under
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan

Then the modern era is back to hit or miss, here are my recommendations:
The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Lilo and Stitch
Treasure Planet
The Princess and the Frog

>Marc Davis asked Walt about making another Fantasia
>Walt's response "don't go around asking that, the shareholders will skin me if try and make another one"
>"they're still upset that we made Fantasia to start with"

I'm paraphrasing what Walt said mind you.

It took many years, but I finally realized Pinnochio is the master race

>tfw Sup Forums has a legitimate and respectable discussion on animation and movie quality

The poster and concept art for Snow White is really nice.

Daily reminder that this was the first ever piece of media relating to Snow White to depict the dwarves as having individual personalities.

The movie itself is still very pretty, of course.

Is there a hi-res release of Sleeping Beauty? I love the style of the backgrounds

Fantasia is beautiful. Peter Pan is worth watching just for Captain Hook. Dumbo ends too early, IMO.

Can we settle this, did Snow White have a lot of rotoscoping or not?

Peter Pan may be worth watching just for Mermaid Lagoon, and that is one of its more minor things.

I love the atmosphere of these

I was never crazy about most of disney's stuff from a story point of view. they're always technical showcases though, especially the older stuff. watch stuff like alice and mary blair's backgrounds. really inspiring for that alone.

If you like the classic disney stuff you should check out the book They Drew as They Pleased it has a ton of classic concept art from the early films

You have no soul.

Snow White, Cinderella, Fantasia, The Black Cauldron, Robin Hood(furries, lol, but damn maid marian is a babe,) Jungle Book. Shit man, any of them are great for various reasons. Even Sword in the Stone which is one of the weaker entries has high points. I guarantee you'll find something to like about each of them.

Every Disney is worth a watch. Some are stronger, some are weaker. Some show their age more than others. But they were all made with a lot of heart and enthusiasm, by the best people the studio could get. That's more than you can say about most animated features from pretty much everyone else.

The only Disney features I actively dislike are The Jungle Book and Pocahontas. But I'll even admit they have their bits, and I don't begrudge anyone else for liking them. As whole, Disney's body of work is astounding, and you should take in as much of it as you can.

Hm, nah. I disagree. I think Chicken Little, Home on the Range, Dinosaur, and to a lesser extent maybe Saludos Amigos and The Black Cauldron are all perfectly fine to pass up if you don't have a lot of extra time on your hands.

How can someone with a straight face imply that they like Aristocats but not The Jungle Book

A bit off-topic but can you guys recommend some Disney like films? The only ones that come off from the top of my head are Prince of Egypt and Anastasia.

Don Bluth's Thumbelina is kind of like the prototype Anastasia. Not quite as good as Anastasia, but certainly a lot more Disney like than most of his other films.

Remember, if you like classic Disney, you are literally Hitler.

Road to El Dorado.

Other, less good recommended but still maybe worth checking out Disney-ish 2D Dreamworks films are Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. And if you want a direct to video poor man's Prince of Egypt they also made Joseph: King of Dreams.

Man, they had such a thing for the whole "Name: Something of Somesuch" title format I'm kind of surprised PoE didn't turn out titled "Moses: Prince of Egypt."

Everyone speaking English (or Spanish) is the only flaw of the movie.

While not really comparable on the same level as Disney films, The Swan Princess and Quest for Camelot are among those "totally not Disney princess" movies.

The guy that made The Swan Princess also made The King and I (animated version, obviously), The Scarecrow, and Muhammad: The Last Prophet. Haven't seen Muhammad, but I generally the impression these movies are not very good. But hey, they're okay for bargain bin Disney imitators.

Eh, I don't mind that they didn't bother to come up with a convoluted way to hand wave it with an explanation like "oh they can speak anything because ancient root language" like in Disney's Atlantis or "listen with your heart" like in Pocahontas or some other babel fish device. I mean, yeah, in-universe it doesn't make sense, but whatever explanation they come up with, we already know the real reason they're speaking the same language is to keep the story moving along anyway.

I think it's kind of debatable quite how Disney-ish they count as, but for somebody looking for some of the next best things, I'd recommend Cats Don't Dance, Help! I'm a Fish, Charlotte's Web, The Brave Little Toaster, Gay Purree, and Balto.

I had a headcannan that they died at sea and actually became gods and that's why they understood them when they landed. And when they bleed later its because it turns out gods in meat suits can bleed.

The Fleischer Gulliver's Travels movie. The second full length animated film ever made behind Disney's Snow White.

I've had Gulliver's theme stuck in my head since I was a kid. So melancholic.

I'm gonna tack that theory on the wall right up next to "Ash was in a coma the whole time in Pokemon" and "every kid in Ed Edd and Eddy is a ghost from a different time period and the cul de sac is limbo."

God this movie was boring as hell. About as bad as Song of the South.

Watch The Prophet.

BITCH WHAT DID YOU JUST MOTHERFUCKING SAY!?

youtube.com/watch?v=2HLy3OfTHGc

EDUCATE YOURSELF

The Adventures of Prince Achmed itself wasn't even the first, just the oldest still currently surviving

youtube.com/watch?v=MeX_vF3l54w

Le Roman de Renard was also made before Snow White. As much as I love Snow White, it had several feature length animations preceding it, going back more than ten years prior, and it really pisses me off when people give it the title "the first ever" and fucking ignore shit like Lotte Reiniger.

I have been meaning to. I guess I'll have to bump it up to the top of my to watch list.

Pinocchio is lit, as is Dumbo and Bambi and Snow White. Sleeping Beauty is probably the weakest.

A troll in central Park - now that title has a whole new meaning in this era.
In all seriousness the animation is lovely but the story seems like it is meant for children 7 and below.

It features a couple of animators from Fantasia 2000.

If I was going to be getting a private Willy Wonka tour of Disney's feature complex in Burbank in two weeks, what should I watch?

>Dumbo ends too early, IMO.
Walt was of the opinion that he couldn't justify stretching out Dumbo's story any longer than it already was, heck Dumbo's one of the few times in the entirety of Hollywood history where people tried to get a film made longer, since Dumbo was just barely over an hour in length

well off the top of my head are some examples;

The Snow Queen
Secret of NIMH
An American Tail(first one is a masterpiece, second while nowhere near as good is still a fun movie)
The Land Before Time
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Anastasia
Prince of Egypt
Joseph King of Dreams
Road To El Dorado
Cats Don't Dance
Charlotte's Web
Balto

to be fair Snow White is the first one made and released through the Hollywood system, and thus the first one to achieve a high level of both financial success and global influence

Don'tbother with alice in wonderland, Walt Disney didn't like it-- said the film flopped because it "Had no heart."-- watch "Robin Hood" instead.