Is "Superman becomes a totalitarian dick" on its way to becoming a stock story?

Is "Superman becomes a totalitarian dick" on its way to becoming a stock story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl91v2Mvv94
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying it already wasn't

I can think of four examples off the top of my head.

It already is. Which is kinda a depressing example of creativity death in the medium or at least in capeshit.

I'd rather read a story of batman going evil tb.h.

Didn't he qualify for the Yellow and Red lanterns?

There's your starting point.

I always felt Superman going supreme leader is a poor thought experiment. His character doesn't have that propensity for it, given how fervently he believes humanity is capable of thriving on its own and only needs a protector.

A lot of the time it seems to be sparked by the whole "it just takes one bad day" idea (the Justice Lords example being the death of Wally West) but even then I can't imagine Superman being that easily turned against his values.

Just wait for the inevitable derivatives.

>Wonder Woman becomes a totalitarian bitch
>Batman becomes a totalitarian Dick
>Captain America becomes a totalitarian dick
>Deadpool becomes a totalitarian dick

>>Captain America becomes a totalitarian dick
Hail Hydra

Yellow green and red
Its split equally between the three so thats why he never gets a lantern ring

HAIL HYDRA

Batman going full dick mode would be interesting to see

Nightwing doesn't strike me as the type of guy to become totalitarian.

That would require creativity and imagination to work. So it's never gonna happen.

He always had the greatest propensity for it, since his character teeters on the knife's edge of doing something drastic to ensure justice.

Wonder Woman maybe but her schtick would probably be based on bigotry and not justice.

I'd read it.

>Red Son
>Justice Lords
>Injustice
>Overman
>Countless Other Elseworlds

It's already been done to death, brought back to life, raped and done to death all over again.

There was also a Superman:TAS episode where he teams up with Luthor to turn Metropolis into a police state after Lois dies.

Did you just learn a new word?

Seemed apt.

"Capacity"?

This is actually kinda becoming a thing though

i think people just rip off red son a lot

Thicc

I was making a joke when I capitalized Dick. This is getting out of hand. There are stories that don't involve totalitarianism and oppression.

He should just get all three

Sooo, Batman turns evil and Superman just goes "Okay Bat, you know best." and just follows Bruce?

BvS with the "Lois died so I am becoming a murderous dictator" shit.

Honestly, I don't know the best way to make a Justice League member totalitarian.

Batman seems the most likely to flip the switch but would he be ballsy enough to risk having a bunch of metahumans turn against him if they don't agree with his decision to use a firm hand? He might have a way to fight back against them but does he really think he could hold them all off all the time?

Nah. Evil Wondy's new world order would be a stepford-esque nanny state where everyone is loving and honest and accepts each other for who they are... or else.

>He might have a way to fight back against them but does he really think he could hold them all off all the time?
If it was his book, you know he would.
Hell, even if he wasn't, he still might.

it actually makes no sense for either of them to go bad if the other is around.

maybe more like superman getting killed by something and batman taking that as a reason to do a robot

We already have Kingdom Come where he turns Gotham into a literal fascist state. Also Tower of Babel where he's the "villain" of the story. And Infinite Crisis where he creates Brother Eye and almost kills Earth.

Invincible is garbage.

it's not the worst thing i've ever read

Paul Dini did it right

We need a superman story that's basically a re-telling of Job. Superman just gets relentlessly shit on by his villains, they ruin his life and almost break him, but he never gives up and ends up saving the day in the end

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

Look what you've memed into existence. For shame, user.

Evil Batman is basically just Lex Luthur who knows Karate

We really need "Superman becomes an irresponsible nihilistic dickhead" stories to balance them out

Isn't that the plot of Superman 3?

Doesn't Lex know a few things himself?

Or is he usually "above all that"?

Overman is extremely regretful for his actions.
It did almost everything that Red Son did, but better.

In most stories he is above fighting hand to hand, relying on a power suit if he has to. The golden age and early silver age, as well as the DCAU, are the only times I can think of when he actually fought himself.

He uses a power suit when he fights for himself

>it's a "What if X turned evil?" episode
Can this please die already? Can people please take their edgelord fanfics and shove them right up their asses? This bullshit got old ages ago, and now it's fucking everywhere. Enough.

And also how cheaply people think of genuine heroism.

>Guy is regularly nice and helpful? I'll put a stop to that!

Justice lords were way better then this "injustice" bullshit

He also takes up Ras al ghul's offer to cleanse the world and becomes immortal.

our society is moving towards it right now. racism have been in a rise across the globe. same for people defending totalitarian tendencies. it is to be expected that they will captalize on that.

It's been since TDKR/Red Son/Kingdom Come hasn't it?

Why would Bruce qualify for Red? Is he really that mad/angry? Yellow is a no-brainer for him, it's his whole schtick. Especially if you take the origin story that he picked bats because he's scared of them.

>he doesn't think Batman is 200% mad

>It's a world where every hero EXCEPT Superman goes evil.

Im more concerned about the lack of good Evil Batman stories.

At least we got a nice antagonistic Batman on BvS. Its a shame they had to butcher him and make him into Tony Stark for JL. Thanks Whedon.

>batmanangry.jpg
>not batmangry.jpg

son

How about the entire Justice League going evil, including the Flash?

Meh.
Given how much has been this topic developed, I want a world in which human values are different from Earth-0. I mean an humanity which puts the values of order, obedience and control higher than freedom, which automatically leads for some goverment a la fascist state/policy state i.e. Vandal Savage wetdream. Now given that context you put a Superman with his standard set of values would be very interesting, because what would he do. Would he respect the decision of people (the people demands a strong group of leaders, not because of corruption or shit) or he would try to change the set of values of everyone by his actions?

>on its way
Even Bruce Timm said during the making of the Justice Lords episode that they've done that story way too many times.

Flash is too much of a bro to go evil.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xl91v2Mvv94

>Traffic BatMan

First post is best post.

It was already old, op

What's scarier?

Totalitarian Batman who kills
Or Totalitarian Batman who doesn't

wasn't that basically Ozymandias?

The one who doesn't.
1/2

Now that's fucked up.

brutal, that man will never jerk it again.

Wasn't Superman just a tool of the man in The Dark Knight Returns? He had no real power of his own.

What was the deal with JL and JLU Lex villain outfit? It was strange to see him do anything let alone him doing anything in purple pants.

The suit was meant to cointain a life support device to offset the Kryptonian cancer he contracted.

Do you really want a comic book run where batman gets a lantern ring and everything he creates is bat themed?

He would know beforehand and get a small ground of close followers brown shirts style

>batman isnt sufficiently angry for a red lantern ring
This guy dedicated his life to beating the shit out of bad guys, he could have lived a life of the utmost luxury but he decided he wanted to kick ass.

We've already seen WW do this a few times.

That seems more like passion and commitment to an ideal, not rage.

Is there a ring that channels conviction?

>WW movie was a success
>normies now know that Diana's a nice girl and not raging murderbitch
>normies now know that the Amazons are just scared of the outside world, and not genderciders
>shit like this will stop being so prevalent
Thank fuck. No more of this Amazons Attack bullshit, please.

The problem is with DC itself and their boner for "META-HUMANS EQUAL GODS BECAUSE WE AT DC LOVE MYTHS" shit. They like to show Superman and Wonder Woman as gods, with the other JL meta-human members as lesser gods, and as gods the one thing they love to explore with them is how they struggle to maintain their humanity. Humanity being basically = not being a dick.

That's why you'll probably never see Batman as a dictator shit, because they think that Batman as a human wouldn't be capable to act that way or pull it off. The only ones in danger of becoming dictator dicks are the meta-human heroes. The stronger they're, the most likely it is.

That's also why sometimes they show that meta-human heroes having human love interests is key for them to keep their humanity in-check.

My vision of the Amazons comes from Justice League, where they're more haughty and condescending but otherwise well-meaning towards the world of man.

Dudes being on Themiscyra is HARAM and all that shit but they aren't going to subjugate males and try to impose any kind of matriarchy on the world beyond the island.

What I don't get is why this sort of story happens to Superman more often than anyone else, especially when Batman exists.

Batman is essentially Stalin in a cape. He's massively paranoid to the point that he literally has a plan to kill all of his friends if they "go rogue", never trusts anyone, and wants to be in total control of every situation/engagement. He often assumes leadership positions not necessarily on the basis of skill or intelligence, but the fact that he doesn't trust anyone else with the task. He's ideologically attached to this idea of an eternal crusade against crime, something that goes beyond heroes like Superman or Green Lantern who just want to do the right thing. For him, crime is a deeply personal affront. He's far less grounded than most other heroes too. Everyone says his rogue's gallery is a twisted reflection of his own personality but taking that to it's logical conclusion means that Batman is a hair's breadth away from losing it. Writers and fans alike claim that he's too morally incorruptible to ever abuse his abilities, but I think out of anyone in the Justice League, he's the closest to snapping.

I really don't see why there aren't more stories like Injustice but for Batman. He fits the bill perfectly.

Kingcom Come is the thing that started the roller-coaster of portraying Wonder Woman and by extension her amazon sisters as bitches that breath and live violence because they're "warriors" and thus that's their culture.

Going as far to show that even the day-to-day interpersonal interaction for them is treated as a battle of wits, including sex, which is treated as a matter of conquest with the weak having to submit to the strong and violence coming into play and foreplay. Thus Wonder Woman being aggressive in her interpersonal relations, ie a cunt, as she is in the battlefield.

It's awful and stupid, but what you going to do? We can thank Mark Waid for it.

The thing is, Batman is human, and according to DC that means he's a fragile little snowflake.

You can see that every time they pursue that kind of story the normal human heroes always bad together against the super-powered heroes. They're also shown as less of a dicks.

If Hawkman still counts as a Leaguer, it'd probably be pretty easy to do with him. You might have to kill off Hawkgirl and/or most of Thanagar, though...

wtf I hate mark waid now.

Waid said he portrayed Wonder Woman as a militarized and aggressive cunt because he always found her stick of being a warrior princess from a warrior-like culture that fight for peace and love to be contradictory and stupid. That's why a bunch of characters in KC call her on her "amazon ways".

Wouldn't green qualify for that? I mean, to have conviction about something you need a very strong will to make it happen, don't you?

Bruce's whole "metas can't be trusted" shtick always reeked of hypocrisy to me. Considering the vast majority of people are not born with absurd amounts of wealth that makes Bill Gates look like a hobo, maybe the 1%er trust fund baby oughtn't be talking shit. Just saying.

user, pls. You and I know exactly why there are no stories of Batman going evil. Because the majority of editorial is made up of Bat-fags, and he's the company's biggest name, both of which afford him the special privilege of always being right.

This reminds me of the first issue of the Beware the Batman tie-in. Anarky unlocks every single lock, door, and safe in Gotham and encourages people to go nuts and wreak havoc on the 5th of November. Batman also transmits a message to all of Gotham, threatening to go after any citizen that would abuse how vulnerable the city is. Katana remarked how he came off as a wannabe tyrant.

I wish the actual show had moments like that instead of Anarky just being a pretentious mustache-twirler.

>Because the majority of editorial is made up of Bat-fags, and he's the company's biggest name, both of which afford him the special privilege of always being right.

The majority of the company is made up of Superman fans, actually.

Batman also have been shown as the antagonist or straight up villain many times in the main continuity and Elseworlds. It's just that for some reason people forget about it.

I've always loved and hated that viewpoint for just how utterly retarded it is. So I guess by definition, police officers, soldiers, and superheroes are "contradictory". That's some slick thinkin' there, Mark.

It's really not hard to understand. The Amazons extol the virtues of peace, love, and tolerance, yet they train for war. They've seen war, and they think it's shit. But at the same time, they're not stupid, so they git gud so that if anyone ever shows up to their home, they'll be ready to defend it. And keep in mind that, being very generous, there's only ever maybe 3000 of them at any given time, of course it makes sense for everyone to be a trained fighter.

But apparently, being willing and able to defend yourself automatically makes you an asshole, so we keep getting the Amazons as evil cunts thing.

This would be interesting but is there any story there?

Kingdom Come is pretty much it.

Were you going to post something else to this?

Actually you're right, that slipped my mind.

>never jerk it again.
Not necessarily. Having hands fucked up enough to not be able to shoot well and not use em at all are different things. Not that batman won't do it anyways because "muh sons" but still.

I think you just explain the reason why Batman doesn't go all Hitler he isn't a Man he is an Idea one that represent an eternal crusader. Superman by contrast is just some guy who does whats right, Batman have done everything in his power to be Batman you think he is going to change coarse? No this is a man he concurred death herself to make sure he stays on the right path you think anything is going to stop him? People like you show a complete misunderstand of Batman as a character here is a quote to illustrate it;

> People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either.

Is the idea of Superman going bad over used? Yes, but making Batman be the badguy is equally stupid and quite frankly hypocritical.