Just finished watching this

Just finished watching this.
Pure kino.
Why did it seem like no one cared about this movie when it came out?

Because most people couldn't find this movie in theaters when it came out.

not disney

Indeed. I couldn't find it anywhere and I live in LA.

Laika does it for the art, so they don't really put a lot of effort into advertisement, so nobody knows about it.
They're fabulously wealthy though, so they don't need to care about making a profit.

Because everything after getting the Sword Unbreakable was poorly paced beyond measure

>kino
Pick up the razor blade and swallow it.

A lot of people act like the plot is the worst thing ever.

Kubo is a cute boy and doesn't deserve this much suffering

Kino and the Two Strings. Eat my ass.

Yeah, people seem to confuse "serviceable" with "bad".

Kubo was a movie more focused themes and subtext than it was about narrative, so it's brilliance might have gone over some normie's heads. Not saying the film is flawless or anything, but anyone who shit's on it for having a straightforward and simple plot completely missed the point.

>Why did it seem like no one cared about this movie when it came out?- 10 posts shown.

0 advertising / small release.

Also the ending sort of falls apart for me when the whole build up is about overcoming the death of his parents / building a new family and it just turns out they're all alive and his friends the whole time. I thought that took a bit out of it.

I agree with concerning the ending, I think it could have been better.
Everything else though was fabulous in my opinion, I really loved it. Were it not for the ending, I would rate it as Laika's best movie.

I knew the twist before it it was revealed

And honestly I find that to be a better experience than if I never knew as was hit with the twist

Sup Forums talked about it for two months and again pre oscars

I saw it 2nd weekend and the theater was mostly empty. Don't care, it was better for me cause no one was watching me cry

This

this! it was not about the story, which has been told a thousand times. It was all about HOW the story was told, and it was done fantastically.

To be honest I feel the general opinion of it around here is that the plot wasn't perfect but the movie more than made up for it. It was fucking beautiful, I was mesmerized as soon as Kubo started performing for the village.

His parents still died and stayed dead tho.
He tries to get over it just to be forced to do it again.

Also it was foreshadowed that his parents were still around when they saw the birds.

Weird pacing and sort of asspully at times. Beautiful aesthetically though.

Sup Forums doesn't like anything they can't argue in a contrarian way about or without annoying memes.

Sup Forums loves it, and without waifus there's little to discuss since it just becomes one giant thread of anons in agreement.

Get cancer, useless waste of flesh.

>mfw me and my sister where the only people in all of the cinema when we saw Kubo

The movie soured me with the ending.

I still need to watch Kino and the Two Strings

Watched it on a plane. Good shit. But it didn't seem like the type of movie to pull in big crowds and makes hella money. It was an well-done movie for a niche audience.

>living in LA

>kino
I hope you slip and fall and break your neck.

It start good and last fight and arcwas disappoint ..But Laika love making bittersweet movie

It was a largely dramatic animated film released in the united states.

Overrated

It failed to live up to hype

Despite looking and sounding beautiful the plot was, in final review, rather mediocre and cliche, badly paced, and ended poorly. There were several points of dialogue where you just have to groan a little, cheesy as it is.

there were many Sup Forums threads about it

no one in the mainstream cared because they're all fat stupid fucks who need to be force fed disney princesses and toy story sequels through a tube

it bombed in the box office. kubo is the death-knell of independent animation. we go quietly into that dark night.

beautifully paced that let you breath between sad moments. You need those happy moments to endure the entire movie cause it's fucking sad. I get the problem with the ending but the rest is bullshit

>You need those happy moments to endure the entire movie cause it's fucking sad.

Yeah but yknow, they could've made those GOOD happy moments.

A lot of people gave the criticism that it was too predictable. I'm not sure where you draw that line though. The adventure was fun regardless of how much of a "WHAT A TWIST!" feeling you got out of it. It ranks up there with Song of the Sea as far as beautiful fun adventure that maybe doesn't deserve that deep of thought into it.

What makes the movie great is some of those little moments. That one scene while they are all walking and Hanzo puts Kubo on his shoulders is an example.

the visuals were top notch but the plot was so insipid
>we have to go on a journey to 3 locations to collect 3 artifacts to finally defeat the bad guy
it read like a video game fetch quest
and the moral of the story wasn't good
>join me and you can live forever as an immortal without knowing pain and hardship
>no, pain and death is what makes us human.
>MUHH HUMANITY
but it never explained why having a mortal existence was good. it didn't show that overcoming hardship and accepting the death of loved ones makes us stronger as people. it just said "death is just a part of life, get over it", the moral falls completely flat on its face when you insert a magical element to the story that defies death so now you can live forever without consequence.

The animation was great, but I wasn't feeling the plot or characters at all. Everything felt way too underdeveloped and safe.
Also, this might be a nitpick, but it was actually kind of jarring how they cast maybe 3 Japanese American actors in the tiniest of bit parts. It's supremely weird going through an entire movie and hearing only a couple characters out of twenty talking with an accent even though they're all supposed to be Japanese.

The nearest theater witch project this movie was in a city ¾ of an hour from my home, and only stayed a week, when shit from bigger studios like suicide squad stay minimum 2-3 week.
I still manage to go watch it.

you didn't like the paper birds and kubo flying? I was smiling the whole time

Take your pick
>Not made by a famous studio
>Not an adaptation of a preexisting franchise
>Chinese aesthetic; Not Japanese
>Stop-motion; Not pure CGI
>Not much advertising