You read the news that Disney (or Pixar/Warner etc) is making an animated Mario Movie. What should the plot be...

You read the news that Disney (or Pixar/Warner etc) is making an animated Mario Movie. What should the plot be? BONUS: Make it good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ve26GpPDTgY
youtube.com/watch?v=4y0T5T2iLRU
youtu.be/4XeaBGmD54I
youtube.com/watch?v=hBz2IWbGhII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mario get ipad

Classic save the princess from Bowser storyline.

But that's not going to happen because damzels are a no-no in movies these days, they'll want Peach to feature in a leading role.

>What should the plot be?

How is this even a question?

Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario has to rescue her. What else COULD the plot be? That's what sells, and that's what people expect

Sounds predictable. I'd go with the plot of one of the Paper Mario games- much better storyline

>implying that Peach can't simultaneously be a damsel in distress and have a leading role

It's been done. American movies would tone down the reckless and crazy and make her more sensible but competant, but it's the same basic idea

Make it like the Mario and Luigi RPGs. The lighthearted tone and humor would be a hit with the audiences.

Plus a soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura wouldn't hurt.

I want peach to feature in a leading role. I main her in Smash and I want her to be interesting for once. Maybe they save Luigi

One day the kingdom of the peaceful mushroom people was invaded by the Koopa, a tribe of turtles famous for their black magic. The quiet, peace-loving Mushroom People were turned into stones, bricks and even field horsehair plants, and the Mushroom Kingdom fell into ruin.

The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and return them to their normal selves is Princess Toadstool, the daughter of the Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is currently in the hands of the great Koopa turtle king.

Mario, the hero of the story (maybe) hears about the Mushroom People's plight and sets out on a quest to free the Mushroom Princess from the evil Koopa and restore the fallen kingdom of the Mushroom People.

I'm wondering what they'll do with this honestly, I mean will they just make an animated movie of what is basically a superstar game? Or will they go another route? By the way, just as a reminder the famously bad mario bros movie that came out before's concept was by one of nintendo's higher ups. They thought a gritty mario bros movie would work and it was just a ton of fuck ups that lead to what came out. Then again it was the 90s and everything had to be gritty. For anyone wondering how the original movie came to be so shitty, here is the history behind the film youtube.com/watch?v=Ve26GpPDTgY

Remake of 90s Mario movie

What's the plot of those? Sounds comfyyy

poor peach usually never gets much, she had her own game that one time but it was pretty meh. actually peach was almost the final boss of the wii punch-out game but they switched it to donkey kong because they didn't want to put violence against women in their game.

Satan get out

Peach as just damsel at end would be a fucking wasted opportunity. Not because of feminist bullshit, because she's a classic character who deserves screentime. Plus I want to see her curves in glorious CG for the whole 90 minutes

>Maybe they save Luigi

But then Luigi doesn't have a leading role, and I don't know about you, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

agreed, peach can be so much more but shes always just their as the reason why bowser needs to be beaten again. Even in a lot of the rpg games where they could expand upon her they never really do. Or at least not that much.

Each one has a different plot. The first game's about Mario and Luigi traveling to the Beanbean Kingdom to get Peach's voice back, the second one's about time travel, the third one's about Bowser taking back his castle from a new villain while unknowingly being helped by the Bros., the fourth one revolves around dreams, and the fifth one is a Paper Mario crossover.

They're all fun games.

Okay, Luigi, Mario & Peach have to save Daisy, then when they get to her, they decide to let Bowser have her because she's the worst

having bowser be the bad guy again would be lame, just do it like the rpgs where hes an enemy but he has to help them in some way. Hes also way more of a likeable character that way.

If waluigi is in it I'm sold anyway

Full agree. Bowser was hilarious in Mario RPG. That's the Bowser I want to see on the big screen

Well, let's ask ourselves this:

WHY does Bowser always take Peach, and whatever his motivation for doing so is, can it be transferred to some other objective?

Like does he want to rule the Mushroom Kingdom? He doesn't necessarily need Peach for that, he just needs her gone

Is he in love with her? He can do other shit to try and force her to come to her willingly, like the whole "turn everyone into stone" ploy

Is he doing it for the lols just to fuck with Mario? If that's the case, you can literally do ANYTHING for the plot

Better question- what studio could do it justice? Seems like American studios could ruin this

canonically the reason he kidnaps peach is so he can have a good mother for his son. Also control over the mushroom kingdom is the reason he goes for peach specifically but he wants her so his son can have a mom.

Here's a curveball
Make the movie about the 2 most angreseive characters in all of Mario and how they go off to beat n kick the shit out of bowser in order to save their friends

please?

That is sweet and adorable.

How is he even a bad guy? Why wouldn't Peach willingly agree to help Bowser raise his kid?

Well, you've got to make the simple plot pretty engaging.
>Must justify why plumbers become princess rescuers
>Mushroom Kingdom has no potential heroes because it hasn't had a major conflict in hundreds of years
>Koopalings in minor roles but emphasize at least two as the main minions micromanaging Bowser's forces
>Mario needs to have some kind of hero's journey that doesn't step on his marketability
>Luigi should buzz off during the climactic final battle but come in for a last minute rescue
>Peach does not necessarily need to be a stronk wymyn to be a good character. Just give her the lion's share of comedy to work with. Development of her as a heroine should be saved for a sequel.

A more streamlined version of Paper Mario. Cut out the Flower Field chapter, maybe the desert chapter and either the island or the toybox chapter. I'm kinda inclined to say it'd be better to cut the island one but then someone's gonna complain because no Yoshis.

Super Paper Mario (wii) the movie when
or at least Mr L making a comeback

They are nice to him sometimes, though I don't think hes ever straight up told peach about why he kidnaps her. The real reason of course is because bowser starting trouble is how most of the games start and they'll still need that for future games.

>Mario and Luigi are plumbers from Brooklyn
>They find a weird looking pipe in an abandoned house
>It transports them to the mushroom kingdom
>They find out the local plants give them super powers
>They find out that the Mushroom Kingdom's princess is kidnapped
>They save Peach, defeat Bowser and decide to stay

I don't care but the sequel better have Wario

>>Koopalings in minor roles but emphasize at least two as the main minions micromanaging Bowser's forces

Make it a subtle nod to the 90s movie and use Iggy and Spike in that role.
>but Spike is not a Koopaling
idgaf

Make it like Super Mario Adventures or the original Paper Mario.
Any other answer is wrong.

>Disney/pixar
implying they won't make Peach into a strong woman who needs no man.

Bowser's reasons for kidnapping Peach vary: Sometimes he wants her kingdom, other times he's in love with her, general it's assumed that it's both. Outside of Sunshine, Bowser hasn't really kidnapped Peach, specifically for Junior to have a mother, while Junior himself switches between wanting a mom and wanting his dad to be proud of him.

People still think that Mario and Bowser hate each other. Not knowing that they are big time actors, who are the best of friends. Every Mario game is a movie for our entertainment.

Also Kamek is best boy.

And I say again, depending on how it's handled, that could be a good thing, as long as she's not JUST "better than boys" but also funny and entertaining

this nagger hasn't played the rpgs

Correct.

And you know who else hasn't played those games? The general movie going populace, who will go in with the preconception that Mario is just "rescue the Princess"

So the (first)movie should follow that formula, but thats not to say it can't play with it or subvert it in an interesting way.

Then you can make a sequel to do your RPG plots

>Standard Bowser kidnaps Peach and Bros go on adventure to save her plot
>Bros go through the typical Grass World, Underwater World, Ice World, Lava World, etc... seen in the games
>Somewhere along the way, they find a Yoshi that joins them
>Subplot with Peach trying to escape on her own like in the Paper Mario games
>Mario and Luigi end up separating during the third act so Luigi can do something while Mario fights Bowser
>Post credits scene with Bowser arriving at Peach's Castle to play golf
>Movie is CG animated in the style of OP's pic and Charles Martinet voicing the Bros
I haven't read the rest of the thread yet and I'm sure others have posted similar summaries. This is all a Mario movie needs to be. Just a lighthearted animated adventure. I still can't believe that live action movie happened when they could've just made a movie based off the Dic cartoons and that would've been ten times more successful.

>>Mario and Luigi end up separating during the third act so Luigi can do something while Mario fights Bowser

he can make a football

I don't think everyone will freak out if it isn't the regular peach gets kidnapped by bowser story. Hell if they really wanted to they could start it out like that, like how mario and luigi have to beat him again for the millionth time, and then unexpectedly a new enemy comes out of nowhere to destroy everything. Then mario,luigi,peach, and bowser will all have to work together.

>tfw they pull a Paper Mario to give Mario and Peach mostly even screentime

Okay I take that last sentence back. A movie based off the Dic cartoons would've been stupid.

>nd then unexpectedly a new enemy comes out of nowhere to destroy everything.

"nowhere" as in "outer space" maybe?

No, that's fucking stupid. The public wants to be surprised and everyone knows Mario.

The obvious solution is to start with the rescue of Peach, so we establish Mario and Luigi's personalities (heroic and capable, and clumsy but adorable respectively), Bowser's wacky villainy and Peach's princessy whatever.

THEN start with an actual plot that isn't predictable and involves all of Mario's main cast and some original characters a la RPG

yeah possibly, really they could get really creative and bring back any number of old enemies

Go Paper Mario. One of the best joys of that universe is how the different enemies actually live lives and have diverse personalities. Bob-Bombs have a society! A fat one runs a lottery!

Have you watched a movie recently? This is what they do:

>make the female character a karate expert, show off her skill on some goons
>ignore her karate skills so she can be captured and unable to escape without rescue
>writers pat themselves on the back for being able to keep their damsel in distress plot while providing a STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER for all the sjw bloggers

That's such an obvious move.
Bowser can even be the villain again for the first story even, by discovering some kind of magic that puts everyone in danger beyond kidnapping a princess.

One scene.

He says "WAAAAAAAA"

I hate that cliche so much
It was cool in Shrek because Fiona was a well rounded character. Anything after that, especially Book of Life, was fucking shit.

Book of Life was such a dissapointment.

By the way, Peach should be capable anyway, since she has a parasol to do shit, and commically effective PMS

what kind of WAAAAAAA?
is it sensual? surprised? confused? it matters user

>"you guys haven't heard? Mario on a mission to save the mushroom kingdom again"
"..."
"But this time hes working with bowser"
"WAAAAA"

Mario played by Seth Rogan
Luigi played by Michael Cera
Peach played by Emma Stone
Waluigi played by Steve Buscemi
Wario played by Danny Devito
Bowser played by John Goodman

Okay I would actually pay to see like three of these casting choices

>Waluigi played by Steve Buscemi
>Wario played by Danny Devito
>Bowser played by John Goodman

I can get behind these

>Wario played by Danny Devito

this

Seconding. It works on so many levels and would make a nice little meta-joke since Devito was who Nintendo wanted to play Mario for the original movie.

Make it a Mario Kart movie. Humble plumbers Mario and Luigi dream of being professional racers. They end up racing alongside the princess herself, sand against the evil king Bowser, all leading up to a tense showdown on the rainbow road.

That was done ages ago, super mario RPG

>We will never get the MArio rpgs adapted as a series of ovas

The Brooklyn stuff was retconed years ago, Mario and Luigi are now from the Mushroom Kingdom.

>Rogen being all DUDE MUSHROOMS LMAO
>Cera with his natural mustache but black
>Peach being all bitchy and sarcastic
>Buscemi just... being himself
>Devito being just himself
>Goodman dressed in S&M Gear and a turtle shell, red hair and eyebrows and all. But no other costume piece.

I want to see this on youtube

And why can't there be a Brooklyn IN the Mushroom Kingdom?

Never thought of that, did you?

It can be located on Yoshi's Island, who says it can't?

Wouldn't that be Big Ape City or New Donk City though?

>Mushroom Kingdom has no potential heroes because it hasn't had a major conflict in hundreds of years
In my mind, the Mushroom Kingdom is ruled by King Toadstool. King Toadstool is currently off in a faraway land with an army, so all the Toads still at home are very much meek individuals. Princess Peach is ruling in the King's absence & is under the guidance of her steward, Toadsworth. Princess Peach is inexperienced in running a kingdom, & Toadsworth, being a Toad, is meek by biology, so she isn't pushed in her position. So Princess Peach is a delicate individual unsure of her decisions & ability to rule. She doesn't want to rock the boat by taking any major action.

Book of Life had one of the most obvious Mary Sue with Maria. They never allowed her to be flawed or uncool or anything less than a role model, but that's one of the reasons why she wasn't appealing to anyone.

Basically this but you play with it a little. Bit of self referencing.

Have Peach escape herself. Do the Paper Mario thing where you mock Bowsers secret love for Peach.

Mr Green jokes for Luigi

>Toad is meek by biology
Nigga Toad is both one of the fastest and strongest Mario characters

How would they first be introduced.

I like the idea of having them be called to the castle to fix peach's tub or something

I would rather if they just played it straight with Princess Peach. Have her as a damsel in distress, not another feisty chick trying to disobey orders. Peach is fragile & submissive- she's one that will do as she is told out of fear of being hurt.

Get whoever made the Super Mario Adventures comics to be the head of the entire project and it'd be golden.

Toads are generally meek, cowardly, childlike people. There are always going to be a few who break the norm like the Toad in the Super Mario World/Doki Doki Panic game, but generally they have a happy-go-lucky, sky-is-falling temperament.

Well doesn't submissive and willing leave itself to fetishizing

Don't forget 3D world and Captain Toad

But yeah you do have a point

I've always been fond of them being two blue collar guys from Brooklyn that get sucked into a whimsical world. inb4 Dobson or Moviebob
Anything can be fetishized.
Peach is a dainty girly girl.

But Captain Toad is also cowardly. Dude was afraid of a Bowser cardboard cut-out.

From Bowsers point of view, why he loves Peach so much, how he arranges everything in his castle to Peach's liking or what he thinks she may like, doing a bit like Oceans Eleven where he gathers people to come up with a plan to kidnap her, execute plan, plan sucks so after an elaborate display of skills by everyone he just says fuck it, breaks the window and just takes her and run.
Then you have his crew put all kinds of obstacles through different places to make Marios job harder. It all ends with him getting a sympathy kiss from Peach. and after Peach is saved he receives a letter from Peach telling him that he is great and that there are other princesses who would be happy to be kidnapped by him

I think we're at a point now where people who grew up with these characters are now working in the film industry. Unlike before, where studious were guessing what kids thought would be cool.

That being said, I can't think of anyone specifically, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who could.

Apparently Princess Peach being submissive and demure is all an act:

youtube.com/watch?v=4y0T5T2iLRU

Even so, I agree. The whole annoying Rebellious Princess shit got old in the 90s during the Gurl Powah wave and when Disney did it again in Brave? It was unbearable shit (that movie only won the Oscar because it was Disney and because it served the Feminist agenda just like Wonder Woman is currently doing).

I've had the same opinion on this for years and years and years. Mario HAS to start the movie as as a grumpy, selfish loner living in New York. When he gets sent to the Mushroom Kingdom, he's forced to learn to care about people other than himself.

I'm thinking in a post-credits scene, his estranged brother Luigi shows up at his apartment in Brooklyn, setting up the sequel.

His fears are weird, he's afraid of Bowser but not afraid of the giant Raven fuck when his waifu was stolen

Literally remake the Mario anime movie with CGI.
youtu.be/4XeaBGmD54I
Pretty comfy and underrated movie imo

>tfw we've gotten to the point where a classical damsel in distress character is actually a refreshing change of pace in film

Can they just make Peach look good and not like the increasingly disgusting bimbo they're portraying?

youtube.com/watch?v=hBz2IWbGhII

>increasingly disgusting bimbo
bro what the fuck are you talking about

I don't typically say this but I am a girl & there is nothing wrong with some girls being weak, delicate girly-girls. That's just who they are & there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

It would actually be refreshing if Peach were effeminate, delicate, yet competent. Most people don't run with a fire in their belly.

Wreck-it Ralph should have won the Academy Award in Animation that year, but we all need to remember the Academy is composed of whiny has-beens who snub at animation for being a childish medium.

Anti-heroes going through a course in kindness is cliche now too.

Princess Peach is always a class act unlike the lady-of-the-night Pauline or spoiled spunky Princess Daisy.

Truly the face of a goddess.

This is the best answer, spergs will sperg on either side so just ignore them.

I don't think the naysayers really get to see much of the maturity in animation. They aren't actively watching animation to form a different opinion on it.

I don't know but they need to fix that shit for the movie.

>Honestly, why does Nintendo suck so much at facial animation? Starfox? Puppet mouth frames.
First of all, thats an aesthetic choice
>Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild has the first ever voiced cut scenes in the series and Link has the facial expression of a literal STONE
Link is an will always be a blank slate character for the player.
That being said yeah those kawaii ugu eyes on Peach have got to go

>That being said yeah those kawaii ugu eyes on Peach have got to go
It's definitely just the eyes. She looks downright adorable with black pupils.

Start out with a fight with Donkey Kong in New York. Then the brothers deal with some shellcreepers in the sewers. They go through a green pipe and enter the Mushroom Kingdom. The princess has already been kidnapped, and the mushroom people have been transformed by Bowser's magic, except for a few. They go on a journey blah blah brotherly love blah blah Bowser sends an army, Mario gets star power. Bowser defeated, brothers decide to stay. The end.