Cartoons your parents never let you watch even though you wanted to

Any heartbreaking stories?

Pokemon was of the devil because Pikachu had pointy ears.

Dragon Ball was of the devil because they had aliens and aliens are just demons in disguise.

Ed Edd and Eddy was a conspiracy by the government to turn children retarded.

Spongebob was a conspiracy by the government to turn children gay.

My mom caught me watching pic related. Never ever more that she knows of[spoiler/]

Man, your childhood must have sucked

>mother forbid me from watching cartoons altogether in between The Storm and The Blue Spirit

not parent, but my grandma would get furious if she caught me watching beavis and butthead, it was idiotic filth

your grandmother had a point

Nah, growing up, I loved watching weird cartoons with my dad on Sundays. I was embarrassed to watch anime while he was in the room, though.

It was, but here's the funny thing about that.

My parents saw comics as a goofy medium for children, so they just bought that stuff so that I wouldn't have to watch evil TV shows. So I read shit like Batman Year One, Spawn, and Preacher, because my parents thought Preacher was a Christian series to help better my walk with God. So the shit I ended up consuming instead was objectively worse than what I was banned from. It's not like it mattered either way though, because I just watched that shit behind their back. Then got whipped by a belt whenever they caught me.

I was never allowed to watch the simpsons,

I have never seen an episode before last season.

I really don't get how its lasted.

Couldnt watch the show nor play the card games.
It was the upbringing of the devil.

The cartoons they hated and never let us watch included:
- Anything with superheroes. Didn't matter if it was dark or light-hearted; it was "too violent" and "all they do is beat each other up all the time." Oddly, they didn't seem to mind us reading Batman comics (they were the Dark Age comics too, so they were really dark.)
- The Simpsons. We watched one episode ("Team Homer") and once the credits were rolling, my father declared that it's too adult and we won't be watching this anymore, ever.
- Most of the "dumb" cartoons, like "Cow & Chicken" ("It doesn't make sense! Why do they have human parents if they're animals?") or "The Mask" ("Did you know, some kids were taken to a hospital after seeing a cartoon just like this one!" -- i.e. misinterpreted echoes of the seizure-inducing Pokemon episode).
- "Samurai Jack". Not sure why, but probably because they considered it too violent (also: "This is a stupid cartoon! If he's a samurai then why is he named Jack?")
- The "Tales from the Cryptkeeper" horror series because they considered it too dark and scary. It was a sore point for my sister who was always a sucker for all things horror.
- They also frowned at Powerpuff Girls at one point because of the character "Him" ("He's basically Satan, right? So these Powerpuff Girls are usurping the role of God!"), but not to the point of outright ban.

I'm speculating that, because my parents were mostly raised on Communist-era cartoons as kids, they were pretty critical of anything that came from the USA in the 90's or later; it was just so different than what they were used to.

My parents weren't spergs. They let me watch whatever I wanted. Not Sup Forums related, but Dad was considerate enough to warn me that Stephen King movies might not be appropriate for an 8 year old.

>Pokemon was of the devil because Pikachu had pointy ears.
My father used to forbid us from anything Pokemon, until he actually bothered to do some research and found out that the "Pokemon battles" in the franchise were just sporting matches, not brutal battles to the death.

Holy shit fundies are such cancer.

My dad would actually show me all the cool cartoons.

To this day I try to explain to my parents that Pokemon battles were inspired by beetle fights the creator had as a kid with his friend, but they are dead set on the belief that the idea came from some sort of Satanic cult training he received.

To be fair, if you had a kid nowadays would you let him watch pic related??
Times change, and so kids taste. You can respect that or be a shitty father.

My parents didn't pay attention to anything I was doing.

Stuff on Adult Swim, especially Family Guy, it still didn't stop 8 year old me from watching it and ATHF

I remember my parents forbidding me from watching The Simpsons cause Bart would say words like "damn" or "hell." Oddly enough, they didn't care if I watched Ren & Stimpy, which I would argue had far worse shit in it than the Simpsons ever did.

Original Samurai Jack

If they wanted to, yeah. I might tease them a little over it, but that would be as far as I'd go.

I'm not familiar. My parents didn't care lol. I was four when South Park came out and I watched it with my older brothers. I was also "that kid who had Grand Theft Auto."

Ren and Stimpy was a hardcore no sell and I wasn't allowed to watch it. I didn't really want to watch it either because I thought the art was really grotesque and unappealing. Which is funny considering I really liked Rugrats and Rocko's Modern Life, one which has what a lot of people call an ugly art style and the other holding really raunchy or gross humor.

>I really don't get how its lasted
$$$

for a while growing up my mom wouldn't let me watch ed edd n eddy since everyone in that show essentially treated each other like ass holes

My mom got upset because I was watching Gargoyles and Eliza told Goliath to 'shut up'.

My cousins weren't allowed to watch The Simpsons

Invader Zim, Grim Adventures, and even a couple of Anime from Toonami.
>Parents forget ban a few days later
Thank god for that

underage get off my BOARD

Only show my parents banned me from watching was Power Rangers because I kept kicking people in the shins.

I wish my parents didn't allow me to watch Courage the Cowardly Dog, it was traumatizing

If he was 8 when the movie came out he is old enough to be here.

Only stuff like Family Guy and South Park, my parents weren't really that restricted since I only watched CN, Nick and Disney.
I didn't really like going to my cousin's house because of how strict my aunt was, they were barely allowed to watch anything that I liked. No Spongebob, no EEnE, no Ben 10, no MLAATR, etc. Only Noggin, PBS Kids, and Phineas & Ferb

I wasn't allowed to watch South Park which is understandable, but I did find it weird at the time because my dad let me watch Family Guy with him but not that.

Also, my mom hated Ren & Stimpy but my dad fucking loved it, so I could only watch it if my dad was around.

My parents fucking hated Ed, Edd, n Eddy for some reason. Never watched a single episode until I was 14. Never understood why, as anything that wasn't overtly adult wasn't banned except for Samurai Jack because it kept giving me nightmares

my parents HATED Ed Edd n' Eddy

My mom was terrified of Courage and I wasn't allowed to watch it when she was around. She's still afraid of the show to this day.

No wonder they hated it.
If samurai Jack made you a pussy than I can't imagine what fear they had over you watching E3

>If he's a samurai then why is he named Jack?
We never did find out his name did we?

That was just a nickname given to him.

I had a tv in my room so it didn't matter what they told me not to watch.

They didn't want me to watch Ed, Edd n Eddy or shit like the Simpsons though.

I wasn't allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead, which in retrospect makes absolutely no sense because I was allowed to watch the Simpsons, South Park, any R rated movies I wanted, etc

I just assumed it was some extremely filthy, evil show, then when I finally got to seeing it in my teens I was like WTF, my mom is insane

At most I was told that my opinions were shit (EEnE). Not worded that way, but the message was the same.

Though with the internet these days, at best I would let mine on with software where they know I know every page of every site they go on. Really hoping people look unsupervised browsing as when cocaine was sold to children as candy in the 19th Century.

>could watch Beavis and Butthead
>couldn't watch Ren and Stimpy
What I could watch was mostly influenced by what my mom also found entertaining and felt like watching

same

user, pokemon es el diablo

>Oddly, they didn't seem to mind us reading Batman comics
Stubborn people have an idea in their head of what the medium is like, and have a hard time visualizing anything other than that. Like when people only think Marvel/DC when you say comics, or when parents rent Ninja Scroll for their kid because "it's a cartoon, must be for kids."
> it was just so different than what they were used to.
Basically.

Or maybe they were happy that you were just reading something instead of watching TV.

>Ed Edd and Eddy was a conspiracy by the government to turn children retarded.

I agree with this one desu that cartoon sucked

I don't remember ever being forbidden from watching a cartoon. I know my dad often watched Beavis and Butthead and South Park with me.

funny about Dragon Ball cuz it actually has true demons, like Dabura
my parents were strict about the amount of time i spend on TV, but not about the shows, maybe except that one time when they actually forbid me to watch great teacher onizuka when i was like 11

Beavis and Butt-head, obviously. She would let me watch Simpsons all the time, but my neighbor who would babysit always forbid it. She thought Pokemon was stupid, but didn't stop me from watching it.

Oh, and South Park. I recall my parents watching an episode one night after I had gone to bed, to see if it was "appropriate" for me. (I was 11 when it first aired). I remember being able to hear them from my room. My mom thought it was awful, but my dad couldn't stop laughing at it.

My banned list was

Ed edd and eddy
South Park
The Simpson till I was 10
Samurai jack
Digimon
You gu oh
Dragonball
Cyber 6
Pepperann
As told by ginger

Luckily for me they forgot like a day later and never enforced it.

My mom banned Billy and Mandy and EEnE for their grossout jokes.
Not unprecedented, either. My older brothers said she banned Ren and Stimpy too.

>not allowed to watch family guy or the simpsons or futurama
>parents let me watch south park and aqua teen hunger force

For a while in high school I felt like I'd missed out on some kind of cultural zenith, but looking back it's probably for the best

>not growing up with The Simpsons
>"probably for the best"
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Simpsons and South Park

My mom wouldn't let me watch billy and Msndy. Thats it.

If they liked it, sure. Morals are taught by the parents. If I'm not a piece of shit then my hypothetical child wouldn't get a bad example out of cartoons

Stop depressing me.

He has until Season 9 starts (1998) of childhood goodness. Well, unless you also mean reruns or such.

I watched futurama later and enjoyed it, but every time I try watching the simpsons I just switch off. I don't get the appeal.

My family always got together to watch Simpsons and some other shows back in the day. It was never an issue and we all loved it.

But when Halloween came around and the treehouse of horror started, things changed. When Marge got up onto that stage and warned parents about the content, our parents took it fucking seriously for some reason and sent my brother and I to bed. I remember being so pissed off that I snuck downstairs and watched it from the stairwell

I wasn't allowed to watch Family Guy, American Dad or The Cleveland Show but I did anyway

Any and all anime was an evil virus of satan, even cartoons that looked like anime.

Mom was the cooler one about it, though, Dad went from thinking the shit was satanic to telling me I shouldn't like it because it's childish.

user you mean nothing to me and your opinion has been discarded

>Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and D&D
For being Satanic devil-worshiping brainwashing devices that enticed young children to be cult leaders.

>Dragon Ball Z
Slightly self-imposed because my parents' wording made it sound like all anime was Satanic, so I never watched it until I was a senior in high school.

>The Simpsons
For being against the idea of a traditional family and being too adult. Still have never seen a full episode.

And then there'd be random bouts where my mom would freak out and think a thing was anti-God for some wild, speculative reason. This ranged from Casper, Friendship is Magic, to the Powerpuff Girls. Then she'd realized she'd overreacted and apologized.

I wasn't allowed to watch ed, edd, and eddy, the simpsons, or "scary stuff" like goosebumps.

My teacher in third grade wanted to throw a Halloween party and watch a goosebumps movie that was pg so they needed a signed consent form and my parents were the only ones who didn't sign it so i had to sit facing away from the rest of the class with headphones on and color. Such bullshit.

Also i had read all the goose bump books by that point.

At least your father did some research

None because my parents were cool with me watching whatever.

Reminds of that one European user whose parents bought him an issue of Softpaw because "look, it's a comic with cute animals on the cover, so I bet my kid will like it!".

Not the guy you replied to but do you realize ATHF first aired in 2000 right? I was 7 when it first aired and I'm currently 25.

I wasn't allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead, which was probably fair enough because I was 6 or so at the time.

Then when South Park started, I wasn't allowed to watch that either, even though every kid at school was raving about it. Eventually my mom caved in and we rented a VHS of the show. I remember I laughed so hard I cried, and my mom was pretty much disgusted at the show. I think I remember that she let me rent more tapes in the future though. We didn't have comedy central, so my experience of the show was pretty much limited to occasionally renting a VHS.

South Park was such a cultural phenomenon though that even though I barely saw it, it was somehow a big enough part of my life. I'd watch online parodies, play the shitty N64 videogame, and I used to draw the characters. This might have just been over the period of a month or two though, my memory isn't great and time passes differently as a kid. So it seems like a huge chunk of time, but that might just be what it felt like as a kid.

My parents banned Digimon because it was evil. Until I asked them to prove it, then there wasn't a problem. I don't get that, by the way. Why call something satanic if you don't have any idea at all what it's about or how it was made?

Tai is better than Matt.

No. Thankfully I wasn't a pussy.

>EEnE
I always find this so funny because my mom loved that show (also my favorite as a kid) and I later tried telling her she had to be the only parent on the planet who approved of it but she has no idea what I meant or why parents wouldn't like it. "they just didn't get it." she HATED spongebob though and trashed it all the time for being "dumb and not even in a funny way like EEnE."
I think I had fun parents.

I remember thinking that all anime was horror because of this, it didn't help that it was the 90s, when some anime looked grittier, also despite being banned from most anime i thankfully was able to watch patlabor whenever i wanted, still one of my favourite mecha shows

none

Adult animation was barely anything back then

Batman beyond too violent she said nut she had no problem with me watching DBZ ironically,Futurama,and she didn't like the simpsons

My parents briefly forbid my brother and I from watching EEnE, after that early thong episode. They were still kinda strict about any form of nudity at the time, even if it was just butts. They also didn't like that the tongues were different colors.

It didn't last long, maybe a month or two, then they stopped caring.

Even though my dad didn't care and my sister and I watched it frequently, my mom wouldn't let us watch KND just because she thought it "looked ugly".
I was able to wacth Pokemon and play the games, but I could only collect a few of the cards because my mom thought thought that kids would gamble them and develop an addiction to gambling or something.
Yu-Gi-Oh was hated by both of my parents (for obvious parent reasons)
And while I was never banned form watching Spongebob, my Grandpa watched the premiere with me and my sister. After it ended, he just said, "Eh. It won't last long anyway."
At this point, my mom really doesn't care what I watch and has mellowed out about it quite a bit, but my dad has done a 180 and is pretty judgmental over anything I watch that isn't on ESPN.

EEnE because my parents though my siblings and I would do all the wacky shit the characters would do because we were jackasses that liked to fuck things up in the cul-de-sac we lived in.

Didn't work however.

My mom wouldn't let me watch the Johnny Quest movie when I was a little kid because she's Christian like that.

>tfw my parents didn't give a shit what I watched, as long as I knew that the characters where doing/saying where wrong
>tfw I got to watch Beavis and Butthead do America at 5 with my Dad
>tfw some of my best memories are watching Adult Swim with him

>Mom watches the original Ren and Stimpy with me one day
>She is 22 pounds of what the fuck right now
>Says she doesn't want me watching it anymore.
>Say ok
>When she leaves the room I close the door and continue watching
She would catch me every time and I would just say ok and keep watching until she gave up. Then one day I joined the Sailor Moon fan club and she went absolutely mental.

90s X-men. They were "too violent."

Was banned from watching cartoon network altogether for seven years. Don't remember entirely why, but I do distinctly remember my mom specifically disliking Teen Titans. Claimed it was too violent and was supposed to be for Teenagers because of the name. I also had my Antz VHS confiscated though that actually made some sense.

>For being against the idea of a traditional family.
fucking huh? Is this whole thread "Moms are crazy as fuck"?

Simpsons,
Ed Edd Eddy,
Hey Arnold

My mom didn't like them because she thought they were "angry"

All this over protection and you all ended up as faggots on Sup Forums.

My uncle doesn't allow his children to watch neither the Simpsons nor Adventure Time. He says he doesn't like the way they talk and doesn't want his children to speak the same way.

>Antz
how does that make sense? isn't that a kids movie

What the fuck is wrong with Americans? Is it just the Cold War paranoia?

>mfw my mother loved watching cartoons with me and would drop whatever she was doing to watch Code Lyoko with me
>mfw I got my father into Samurai Jack, ATLA, and Cowboy Bebop

In my case it was my grandparents who allowed me to watch it and even stuck around to see how it went.

Couldn't watch Ed Edd and Eddy, idk why just one day my mom said enough and I couldn't watch it. She didn't like Courage either but I could watch it

/thread

Plenty of TV-14 tier language. Various quotes include,
"What are you bitching about"
"Don't tell that tight-ass anything"
"I have a thing about drinking from the anus of another creature"
"I was originally going to include you in some of my most erotic fantasies, but you can now forget it!

Not really. My dad didn't want me to watch adult swim when I was at home, so I watched it at other people's houses.

It was the only way I could keep up with Yu Yu Hakusho before it went to Toonami.

>93000931
You don't even deserve the reply.