Invincible

What are Sup Forums's thoughts and opinions on this series? I see people calling it kind of edgy but it seems to be generally admired

Also, I was thinking of picking up the first compendium since some people have recommended it, is it worth the price tag? Or should I just pirate it

I was enjoying it for a while, but I stopped caring somewhere along the line. Stopped before the rape scene.

How old is he in that rape scene by the way? An adult, right?

Read the volume or two through your local library or other free means then decide if it's worth it. I bought it because I re-read it a lot.

Yea, in his twenties or something.

I'm glad it's ending, but I have overall enjoyed it a lot.

Its the last ongoing I'm reading..or even cape comic. I guess it will be the end of an era for my comicbookreadership when Murderman ends.

I'm kind of happy that it ends, Invincible had some very boring issues in the middle, but overall I enjoyed it very much.
But every good story has an end and I think Invicible has told its best stories, so I'm happy that we get a conclusion.

Boy got it hard.

Why did that chick rape him again? For the lols?

She wanted to produce more of their kind (Viltrumites). It was like if Zod raped Supergirl to continue the Kryptonian race

Bump!

It's one of the few cape comics that sticks to it's decisions and boldly goes into new territory when most books would have just pressed the reboot button.

That's what makes it good.
Characters that die tend to stay dead (except that one time), not just brought back in cringey ways. That makes death meaningful, unlike in Marvelshit (and however many hundred times they've killed off Superman in DCshit.)

All Viltrumites were under orders to breed, she found the idea of mating with a human disgusting so she jumped Mark.

He is like 25 I think

>Characters that die tend to stay dead (except that one time)
Damn skippy. It's just as you said, consequences in this world tend to stick, which gives every decision a sense of weight that DC/Marvel can't compare. Every issue I'm aware that someone I care about could die at any moment makes me much more invested in the lives of these people rather than just waiting around for the inevitable hero ressurection.

I think it also has a nice balance between "character driven story" and "world destruction".

The big two seem to have foregone the first these days, in favor of "ZOMFG BIGGEST MULTIVERSAL APOKALYPSE EVAR!!!", that no one gives a fuck about, because we know they're not going to kill off their franchise, and it's just going to be solved by some faggot shit like "the power of friendship" anyway.

I wish DC would do that

best tiger the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now

>solved by some faggot shit like "the power of friendship" anyway.
As much as I initially enjoyed the CW's Flash, the show basically boiled down to, "I believe in you Barry.", and then he saves the day.

There's a huge risk involved because the writer may unintentionally write themselves into a corner and then the only way to progress is to end the story on a note that neither they nor the audience were expecting.
>Which is why I'm plotting out my entire story from A-Z to make sure it "works"..

Kirkman took a lot of risks but ultimately he developed a more interesting world with more complex characters, but it could have easily ended up as something entirely different (The Walking Dead). Also if it wasn't clear, the I think the Walking Dead blows, but to each their own.

It's also easy for Kirkman because he is the sole writer of the entire universe, so he has complete creative control that won't contradict itself in other series and such

it's edgy trash but also fun to read with Sup Forums with a few nice moments

I wonder if the Bugtrumite Invasion will be enough to cause him to take off the blindfold

> Also if it wasn't clear, the I think the Walking Dead blows

The Comic or the Show?

yes

The comic is meandering but isn't outright terrible. I consider the TV show a waste of a time slot. Jefferey Dean Morgan as Negan is a delight though. No doubt about that.

Just started and I'm on the fourth issue. This comic is pretty freaking great so far. I love how his mother really hates their double life as superheroes and just wants them to stay home as a family. Sadly, supers gotta super.

>but I stopped caring somewhere along the line

I felt that way after Mark got caught by an alien and had that time skip.

It was like watching a soap opera about a superhero who can't catch a break.

He eventually gets a win.

>lets millions die because muh daughter won't exist

Mark Grayson is literally hitler

It's pure thrash. Fat people shouldn't write.

In his defense daughter aside, when has it ever been a good idea to believe that aliens with universe altering powers are altruistic?

Fair point. For all we know it was actually some kind of bullshit Q-esque test to see whether humans were emotional beings or cold, unfeeling utilitarians.

I used to call it western DBZ but now its really more like Bleach. You like it at first but somewhere down the line you want it to end. But knowing the author it won't be a good ending and you'll be left disappointed and glad its gone but at the same time you want just one more try for a good ending that wraps everything up.

good, consistent art

but the storyline is plodding and nothing new

Started strong, but much like everything else Kirkman writes it ends up going fucking nowhere

>good, consistent art
They changed artists recently, IIRC and it definitely shows.

It had its moments.
The costumes all suck.

Honestly I think the main problem is the colorist they've got the best artist the series has working on it

The regular guy is back for the last storyline.

And for the record, while the different artist was very noticeable I actually didn't mind it. I liked his art, and I think it fit that we had a different guy for the story being told at the time. I felt like his art fit the tone. Very glad that Ottley is back for the conclusion though, it really couldn't have been anyone else.

Everything till after the Viltrumite war was pretty good. But afterwards i got the feeling the story was going nowhere, stared to loose interest and drooped it around issue 100.

It's been getting better for a while now. There was a definite low point pretty soon after the Viltrumite War, but End of All Things has been a fun ride so far. I'm optimistic for a good ending.

Murderman is great. The violence in it is over-the-top but not lame edgelord bullshit like Mark Millar

This scene was hot.

Was she a lot stronger than him?

Their species gets stronger as they age and she had like several thousand years over him so he was pretty much a glorified punching bag/sex toy.

I stopped reading after his girlfriend had an abortion and somehow made Invincible out to be the bad guy for not being there for her, despite the fact that he was literally recovering from near death when it happened.

Women are the primary victims of war, they lose husbands and sons

people like it because it's big 2 cape shit with an edge except there are no old fans who want Mark's old costume, or feel the Guardians got a raw deal from their old writer or new writer. Since it's been the same writer, playing with the same conventions and tropes, people just play along.

Yes, I found it entertaining but very disposable. I'd go out drinking with Mark, but if I was the spear of planetary defense, he's not the hero I'd pick for my fantasy hopes of salvation, personally, for the nation or Earth.

It will make a very Mark Miller type movie universe that might make it to two or three fairly mid-range budgeted movies and that's about it.

It would probably make a better animated universe, a la Voltron, which would be an excellent way to get it spread internationally, and then then can aim for a live action release.

Found the page in question. When she had the abortion, his insides were literally on the outside and he was in a coma, but no, somehow *he's* the bad guy here.

>I found it entertaining but very disposable
Yeah that's a good fit. Not something I'd would go back and reread, but I enjoyed it enough to follow it through.

Viltrumite sounds really weird

My library had all the trades. I read them in like ten days, and some of that time was simply because of waiting for the trades to show up from the various branches.

It goes down like ice water on a hot day, you find it refreshing but don't really think about it once nightfall comes and the winds pick up.

You can also pirate all the trades. I certainly wouldn't have spent that much money on it. A lot of it you can skim and skip.