You know, for all the joking in pop culture about "DC vs. Marvel...

You know, for all the joking in pop culture about "DC vs. Marvel," I've never actually sat down and figured out what's supposedly so different about them.

So, Sup Forums, I'm here to ask - just what's the difference? What is each company famous for, infamous for, what groups does each attract, etc.? Are the differences even that noteworthy, or is it just overblown by people with nothing more interesting to say?

Nowadays?

Marvel went political with all new things(mostly trash that don't sell) and DC kept the same formula over and over again.
Their newest comics sell the same number a famous twitch streamer gets in views.
DC never changed shit and kept the readers that where always stagnant.
Marvel changed everything and just kept the names of the heroes.
>Spider-gwen is shit and isn't even Gwen anymore.
>Iron man is a black woman for no reason.
As of DC:
>Batman vs joker v54585
>Justice league is saving the world again
>Original story? Well let's make it in another universe so its not cannon. Also it must have batman and maybe someone else.

Still mad that Wolverine beat Lobo.

>Batman beat Captain America

At least everything else made sense. Billy lost to Thor, Spider-Man kicked Superboy's ass, etc

they should have done reader votes for the smaller battles and let the writers determine the bigger ones, instead of the other way around

DC vs Marvel was so fun when I was a kid and didn't know who most of the people in it were.
Now I'm just bloody upset by some of those fights.

Nothin' much. One is owned by Disney and one is owned by Warner Bros. There's some surface level differences you can point at through the decades but nothing important or without exception. It all boils down to the same shit.

Would reading Astro City give the complete experience of reading both Marvel and DC stuff?

All of the DC heroes with actual powers, except WW, have a crippling weakness of some kind.

>At least everything else made sense
>Storm beating Wonder Woman
Fuck. You.

DC is goofy, Marvel is edgy

Honestly although I've always been a bigger Marvel fan, they have been shitting the bed repeatedly for the last few years

>YOU GET A LEGACY CHARACTER, YOU GET A LEGACY CHARACTER, EVERYONE GETS A LEGACY CHARACTER AND THEY'RE ALL MINORITIES!
>whoops their book didn't sell eleventybillion copies in the first two issues we're pulling it
>Did you enjoy "All-New Captain America #1 (2015)"? Now get ready for "All-New Captain America #1 (2016)"! Now featuring shit characterization, dropped plotlines and villains who's entire dialogue is made up of twitter posts from people who's politics I don't like!
>lol let's intentionally piss off our fans for short boosts in sales

>wait why aren't our books selling? Let's make everything exactly like the movies, except minority legacy characters. BABY GROOT!

Could Daredevil in his yellow outfit beat Hal?

You could just toss Wolverine's dirty laundry at him and there's like a 2/3rds chance of winning automatically.

OP here. That's honestly a little hilarious, if not also quite sad.

Ahh, cool, this is the sort of stuff I was looking for

Green Lanterns ain't weak to yellow no more

RULES OF NATURE

Is nothing sacred anymore?

It's been that way for almost 2 decades

OMD still is

Still mad how hard Aquaman punked Namor.

It's probably a good thing writers forget Spider-Man is weak to bug spray.

Motherfucker used a whale on a guy who can bench press 100 tons, what an ass pull.

Namor's a bitch

Sure but he's a strong bitch this was unacceptable.
I like when Namor fails, but you got to put some sense into it.

kek
no, but Hal is weak to laundry

Wondy is weak to sharp trauma depending on the day.

He bribed him under the bar so he would throw the fight, actually.

DC had more shitty names

Hal is weak to ceiling tiles too.

Whales can weigh up to 200 tons. And given that it was falling in the air from a few hundred feet, that would have killed anybody else.

What the fuck do you people want?

Namor to molest Mera leading to Aquaman shoving his trident down his throat while Black Manta takes pictures to showcase before the UN.

It's an orca whale, no more than 6 tons, and it was just jumping out of the water, not dropping from hundreds of feet, whatever gave you that idea.

>Are the differences even that noteworthy, or is it just overblown by people with nothing more interesting to say?

It is definitely overblown. These two companies may have "differences," but it's nothing that would be significant to actual adults. They are both capes at their core.

The average public has always liked DC more for decades.

Biggest difference for me is how the citizens are portrayed. Marvel citizens are assholes who hate most heroes, DC citizens are appreciative.

DC is about wealthy people, or people who have few worries at home, who decide to become super heroes because reasons.

Marvel is about people who become heroes against their will and have their lives destroyed because of it, and turn into dicks from it.

>A reporter, a CSI and a pilot
>"Wealthy people"

>or people who have few worries at home
Gotta love selective sight.

WW's weakness fluctuates. Having her arm bands bond together saps her of her strength and penetrating attacks that pierce her skin are the most common ones the writers remember to give her

How do they have "few worries at home"? Do you think any X-Men has to worry about getting a job to begin with?

Mera isn't on a penis-only diet like Sue Storm. She's actually vaguely fond of Arthur amd less likely to cheat

They have to worry about their home getting blown up...again

Isn't the point with Hal that while he makes okay money he's not exactly responsible with it?

Sue is a tease, not an actual slut. Not saying it's much better but she hasn't taken other dicks, just leveraged her powers of seduction to make men (including Reed) do what she wants.

DC write gods, Marvel write people.
That's a gross generalisation, of course, and not in my opinion a criticism of either.

DC has a tendency to be looser with its canon, and its approach to narrative. Because of that they can tell better short-term stories, with sudden impact. They can complete reinvent characters on the fly, and create arguably more cultural iconic and timeless characters. It also means they never really feel like they can change, or achieve anything different or new.

Marvel attempts to utilise a much tighter canon. Specific events, specifically numbered alternate realities and a concept of a single, changing and evolving world where characters have a rich history supporting both their growth, and the introduction of new narrative directions and elements. Large scale events flow into and support each other. But it also means that any rebooting they DO do sucks a lot harder than DC's, and when a characters growth is disregarded by a new writer it sticks in the craw of readers more than it does when DC does the same.

I'd see these points as both strengths, and weaknesses for the respective publishers, and each does a better job when they embrace their aspect.

That said; when Marvel decided to pull a DC and reboot their universe with the Secret Wars I felt fairly annoyed at them for it, it was much more of a DC story... but I loved the actual thing. Because I'm a multiverse whore.

Marvel completely dropped the ball on their 'reboot' though. The ONLY thing they did was pull in the Ultimate universe. Everything else is the same.

at least Ewing is doing SOMETHING with it. But everyone will probably ignore it anyway