"Mockingbird" Writer Chelsea Cain Tells Us The Marvel Corporation Sucks

>bleedingcool.com/2017/06/06/mockingbird-writer-chelsea-cain-tells-us-marvel-comics-corporation-sucks/
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/G6njV
tezmilleroz.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/tez-talks-the-case-of-chelsea-cain-and-why-public-perception-matters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Green text it here

>meanwhile at DC

She's a shit writer who whines a lot but considering Perlmutter a Kike CEO she's not wrong

I ain't clicking that shit nigga. Transcript/archive or go home.

Basically she got nominated for Eisner's best new writer but Marvel doesn't inform her about it

>Novelist and collaborator with Chuck Palhianuk, Chelsea Cain was nominated in the upcoming prestigious Eisner Awards 2017 for Best New Writer for her work on Mockingbird for Marvel, which was also nominated for Best New Series.
I still can't believe this shit was nominated.
>Tweet from Cain: "So if I'm nominated for two Eisners, does that mean I'm invited? Do I buy a ticket? How does this work?"
>But six weeks away from the show, held during San Diego Comic-Con, she hadn’t heard a thing.
>Cain: "Turns out the reason I haven't gotten any info/invitation from the #EisnerAwards is bc @Marvel hasn't passed it along. I love comics."
Maybe it's because Marvel knows the series YOU wrote created such a shitstorm and doesn't want to do business with you anymore?
>Cain: "If you want to know why comics has a reputation for being insular and unwelcoming to outsiders - cough - I have an idea for a case study."
>@AmandaRTubbs said: "@ChelseaCain @Marvel Mockingbird was the first series I bought wo having it recommended by the guy I was dating. It made me a comics purchaser. Marvel sucks."
>Cain responded: "@AmandaRTubbs @Marvel Marvel is terrific. It's truly made up of amazing individuals. But Marvel-the-corp? Yeah. They suck."

>But Marvel-the-corp? Yeah. They suck.
Water is wet.

no shit

>Mockingbird issue #1
Interesting
>Mockingbird issue #2
Genuinely great, managed to do GRRRL POWER without it being annouing somehow, got some equal-opportunity fanservice, good bantz
>Mockingbird issue #3
Jesus fucking christ why? What happened?

Is Diane W. Nelson /our girl/?

that one and the last issue were both dreadful but it was mostly ok overall, does not deserve the nom over good books like Shade though

no the new 52 was her fault

>Mockingbird issue #3
>Jesus fucking christ why? What happened?
That's when you know you've got an audience who will stick with the series, that's also when you can start slipping your feminist agenda under the radar...

The first two issues were under the radar

The third was putting a megaphone up to your ass and just letting rip

>Turns out the reason I haven't gotten any info/invitation from the #EisnerAwards is bc @Marvel hasn't passed it along.
Is it Marvel's job to tell you, or is it the people who put together the Eisner Awards' job?

She comes off as the perfect example of the "Smash the patriarchy" entitled, vocal, loud feminist.

As someone who hasn't read this Mockingbird series, could someone give me a rundown on what the big controversy was?

>Avenger West Coast: classic Ghost Rider kidnaps, drugs, and rapes MB; she kills him in revenge
>this series: actually the drug didn't work on her, but she let herself be raped, then killed GR so her husband Hawkeye didn't know of his cuckoldry. The story is supposed to be feminist.

Two terrible issues: first one ignores the legacy and importance of female heroes in the Marvel universe and the other one retconned a rape into a consensual affair and had her lie that it was rape

The rest of the book is fine but those created the meme

Just read #3 and find out

Holy shit, it has potential before that

I know those words but those sentences makes no sense

>What happened?

The feminist agenda, natch.

A shame, the series overall was really good, except for that issue and the BS with Phantom Rider.

Well it started off with Mockingbird "realizing" that the only way to be a hero in the Marvel universe is "having a Y-chromosome" despite there being plenty of prominent female heroes in the Marvel universe, then she got raped by Ghost Rider, then she murdered Ghost Rider as revenge for the rape, but then she revealed that she wasn't actually raped by Ghost Rider at all and it was actually consensual and she lied and murdered him to keep it secret because she's married to Hawkeye and she was having an affair.

So basically Mockingbird is objectively a sociopath who cheats on her husband, claims the man she cheated on him with raped her and drags his name through the mud, proceeds to murder the man she cheated on him with in cold blood, and then complains about lack of female representation and how all the Marvel universe heroes are sexist pigs who hate strong womyn like herself, and we as the readership are intended to sympathize with her throughout this entire clusterfuck because muh female empowerment.

tl;dr Cain is a fucking hack and Mockingbird deserved to be cancelled and I'm still appalled it was nominated for an Eisner, and her being right about Marvel being shit doesn't mitigate the fact that her book was still a steaming pile.

#boycottmarvelbutnottheimportantstufflikemoviesandcomicswithfemaleandpocprotagonists

>"When I was a kid, there were no female heroes!"
>*Image of male hero who fucking debuted in a team with a female member*

Yeah, read the entire series, it's not very long.

The terrible issues are even more glaring when you compare them to the excellent issues.

Cain has real potential as a comics writer.

>and she lied and murdered him to keep it secret
Isn't that morally a wrong reason to kill someone though? Is she portrayed as a villain?

She's portrayed as a bit messed up, and an unreliable narrator, but very much the hero.

Hero of her own story, at least.

>raped by Ghost Rider
Wait by Ghost rider himself or by Robbie?

>busiek just now winning an Eisner for AC

The fuck?

By the third Ghost Rider who went crazy from his powers. Robbie didn't become Ghost Rider until way later

But why rape? Wouldn't he just somehow use the penance stare on himself somehow?

Let's do this.

1/2

Jesus Christ. Why in god's name would you retcon that? It makes Mockingbird look like an evil bitch.

Also, who the hell even wants to revisit that story in the first place? It's one of the most bizarre storylines and fallouts Marvel ever had.
>The Avengers find out about the incident
>Get pissed at her for killing her rapist
>Act like she was never raped

Well apparently they were right.

2/2

Honestly the entire thing really has a little double standard. Bobbi is a horrible person that accuses men of being sexist and yet she treats men like shit. She left one guy tied up to her bed, she paralyzed and grabbed Clint's dick (he didn't seem to mind), and didn't care that innocent men died while trying to talk down a girl with powers.

That is the dumbest comic book page I've ever seen, what about Sue Storm, She-Hulk,Jean Grey,Ms.Marvel,Rouge,Kitty Pride,Scarlet Witch,Gamora,Wasp,Black Cat,etc. Fuck this gay ass shitty comic.

Are we still pretending like the Eisners mean anything?

EVERYTHING IS FINE!

Can't hear you over not being in the movies!

Fuck off rich the leach

Why the fuck would you make a laser helmet in home eco. Save that shit for scince.
Its like the writer is trying to create issues that dont fucking exist.

>The story is supposed to be feminist.

Well if is accurate, it pretty much is.

It just gets worse from here

>You directly killed a guy just for filming you, but you're a troubled teen girl and I named him Dick Profit so we cool

Writing was horrid too, in general. Can hardly believe the same person wrote this and Issue #2.

I guess the Fantastic Four had really bad publicity back then.

OH WAIT

>archeology
Does Marvel not have any actual editors any more?

She Hulk movie or bust

>The radioactive spider only gave Peter Parker his abilities because he has a pee pee

the thing that's most insulting about this isn't that the obstacles in her path have nothing to do with her gender, but that the author couldn't be fucking bothered to portray the character as highly intelligent or driven to one field or even as a particularly moral person

Taking the scenes on their face she seems to be rather stupid - thinking that exposure to x-rays will make her "radioactive" well into her older teen years, building a "laser helmet" that has two antennae and a satellite dish for no reason and presenting it in home ec, displaying her "mastery" of math and science by having trouble with the concept of conservation of momentum, fuck even the blood slide is completely lacking in the platelets she claims to be observing

If you're going to take the time to say that your character is something, and you yourself aren't that thing as well, a little fucking research is necessary.

Also how did this pass editorial as-is?

It was a Phantom Rider, which is a little different, but was originally called Ghost Rider. The name changed because of Blaze's popularity. His name was Lincoln Slade, and was originally an old Western hero. He ends up falling in love with Mockingbird, but she was married to Hawkeye. He kidnapped her, drugged her, and hypnotized her in having sex with him. When she snaps out of it, they fight on a cliff. He falls during the fight because Mockingbird wouldn't pull him up.

Afterwards everyone shat on her for letting PR die, and acts like it's her fault he raped her. It was during a really odd period where the Avengers were constantly being assholes for no real reason.

>But Marvel-the-corp? Yeah. They suck."
Man, Why would you say something like this on twitter, it's just going to be bad for your reputation, and not only marvel but other companies such as DC will know you will hurt their reputation. I mean like big writers who have pull, sure they can go ahead and do this but it can still cause a shitstorm but for such a small writer its pretty dumb.

The dumbest thing about this is in the original story you SEE PR admitting to drugging and hypnotizing her, AND you see him not only try to kill her, but try to hypnotize her again.

>a really odd period where the Avengers were constantly being assholes for no real reason.
Guess the Miss Marvel "pregnant with the guy who raped her" story wasn't an isolated incident.
Geez, I'll stick to my Claremont weirdness. Marvel is fucked up.

Better questions:
-what possible purpose could a "laser helmet" serve?
-why would a laser helmet require antennae? Antennae are reception and transmission devices for radiowaves, not visible light.
-why would a laser helmet require a parabola dish? Again, this is something for the express purpose of focusing radiowaves on a reception point and has nothing to do with lasers

The answer is that whoever designed the helmet (likely the writer) and the rest of the sequence had no idea what they were doing and didn't bother researching anything at all.

surprised claremont didn't take her away like he did with Carol. Cause he was pissed at how they handled her.

Absolutely not.

That bitch is responsible for EVERYTHING bad at DC.

Nah its gotta be a series. Like Powerless attempted to do but actually good and not shit.

And lets not forget a moment that was historically tragic rape was turned into her just murdering a guy she was cheating on Clint with.

As dumb as this bitch is, Marvel did fuck her and her grievance in this case is real. No reason to sit wuiet while neckties step on you.

Pretty funny.

It's not a literal laser helmet. It's there to show she had a drive to make things but people didn't support her because they didn't expect anything important out of her.
The "only male heroes" and "discrimination" part is absolutely idiotic, but let's not apply blanket-criticism.

>Mockingbird gets 2 noms
>Flintstones doesn't even get 1

There is no justice in the eisners

In a sad, "maybe she should always wear a helmet." Kinda way

>It's not a literal laser helmet
lol wat

She says right there "I invented a laser helmet"

>It's there to show she had a drive to make things but people didn't support her because they didn't expect anything important out of her
Which falls flat on its face because the author didn't bother doing basic research and put her unveiling her invention in home ec where it would never be appropriate and one would never expect support for scientific endeavors.

It's not blanket-criticism. It's quite fucking specific.

The author is trying to portray the character as intelligent but is showing us this though insanely stupid things like her having trouble understanding conservation of momentum and marvelling at platelets that aren't on the fucking slide she's looking at

Well, it's led by a guy who once tried to Stan Fucking Lee. It's rotten from the top.

>but people didn't support her
It's fucking home economics class, her having a penis or not has nothing to do with how irrelevant a laser helmet is to that subject.

>Genuinely great
If you have low standards, maybe. The whole book was bad.

He's won like ten for it already or something

>why is this smiling thing so hard to do?

She's a little kid that doesn't even understand physics yet. Come the fuck on. I can hold a spoon and claim it acts as a telepathic antena, it doesn't mean it is one.
She's remembering her childhood. You can't take all she says at face value.
Also, showing that in Home Ec is also on purpose. That's the joke.

>The Marvel Corporation Sucks

To the surprise of absolutely fucking no one.

Cain's comic stank, but professionals shouldn't have to put up wit that kind of crap.

>Current Year
>Still not archiving bleeding clickbait

archive.is/G6njV

>Marvel is terrific. It's truly made up of amazing individuals. But Marvel-the-corp? Yeah. They suck.
Didn't Gail Simone make fun of Spencer for saying a similar thing about DC?

It's time to face the facts: Awards are demerits.

>wo having it recommended by the guy I was dating
DUDE GET AWAY FROM HER WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Nah, writing was good, concept was clever, issue 2 Storytime was well recieved.

DClassy

It wasn't good. It was the definition of bland schlock that hopelessly tries to imitate Fraction's Hawkeye but lacks anything that made Hawkeye even somewhat good.
>concept was clever
I was right about you having low standards.
>well received
Sup Forums has shit taste. Who knew?

Nah u a fag

>Afterwards everyone shat on her for letting PR die, and acts like it's her fault he raped her.

And now it's retconned so they were correct!

>Wonder Woman is the most successful DC movie right now
>made by a woman
Someone went for it, with talent, got it made, and made it well and it gets accepted as a great in a series of horrible movies. It was against all odds, but it happened.

Enjoy your shit taste, fag.

Still better than Ike "The Kike" Perlmutter.

I think that wasn't the joke. I think that was just to show women being "in the kitchen".

How old is Mockingbird? She's wearing a Spidey shirt when she was in middle school (maybe)? Is Peter older than her? Her mom was protesting in 60s clothing? This makes no fucking sense...

Yeah, Marvel had this really odd period in the mid 70s where the Avengers titles were and extremely bizarre saga of every hero being an extremely awful person.

>Is she portrayed as a villain?
Not at all. Believe it or not, the event is kinda played for laughs.

You'd think they would showing/over-explaining the chemical reactions in cooking.

Killing men, mainly white men, is what counts as comedy for feminists.

>Mockingbird was the first series I bought wo having it recommended by the guy I was dating. It made me a comics purchaser. Marvel sucks.
Wow what a valuable customer they lost

Barely.

3 and 8 were terrible. The rest of the issues ranged from good to inoffensively mediocre. But 3 and 8 were so bad that it tainted any merit the other 6 issues had. When 1/4 of your comic is such trash that it actually damages the character, it doesn't really matter if if the other 3/4ths of the comic is decent.

>is what counts as comedy for feminists.
That part of the book didn't accomplish even that because it made some feminists angry, and rightfully so.

Mockingbird basically says that the idea that she could ever be raped is ridiculous because "I am too strong for that", which passes the message that rape is a weak women problem.

Issue 8 is really a trainwreck.

Did they black out DC's HQ address here? Isn't that publicly available?

I mean, it retroactively absolves Clint and the Wackos so there's that. It just comes at the expense of ruining Bobbi's character.

Look, while I don't personally care about whatever she wrote, if I was nominated for an Eisner I'd be goddamn pissed that nobody told me about it.

That said, Marvel is just another part of the unholy amalgamation that is Disney. They only thing they give a shit about is making money and shitting on anything that doesn't make them money. Public domain? Fuck it. Creator rights? Fuck 'em. They're rich, they've literally written laws that protect their 'property' and they don't have to give a shit.

Fuck Marvel, fuck Disney, buy independent comics that are actually owned by and benefit the people doing the fucking work.

Off-topic:

And throw shit at any fucker that thinks it is good that work doesn't enter the public domain until 70 years after the author's death.

I remember Gail Simone doing a similar thing by removing Red Sonja's rape origin because it weakened the character. Way to be insulting towards rape victims by implying they're weak. Feminism in a nutshell really.

Not same user, but why are you defending it?
You know it was not the authors intention to make she look like a real life kid, or that just the way she remembers it, or that the joke is good (except if you are one of those guys from the low quality filename threads). You can confirm that by reading the whole comic and not those two pages.
Oh yeah, Sup Forums hates comics

She already had a PhD when she was introduced in the 70s. By now, she should be at least in her early 30s. If she's some kinda child prodigy and got that PhD way early then she'd still be at best around the same age as Peter, whose in his late 20s right now.

tezmilleroz.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/tez-talks-the-case-of-chelsea-cain-and-why-public-perception-matters/

Someone in a previous thread found this.

Penance Stare wasn't introduced until the 90s. The rape happened in the 80s.