So is it the shitty things that happened to Bojack as a kid or is it just Bojack?

So is it the shitty things that happened to Bojack as a kid or is it just Bojack?

A mix of both.

This

People are ultimately responsible for their own actions, but your background and childhood shape who you are to an extreme degree

Man doesn't know any better, he can only repeat what he knows. He wants to get better but he keeps rejecting all opportunities to learn a new day to deal with the world.
He's also deep, deep into this way of life. To try anything different would be terrifying, even if what he currently has is garbage.

You can't keeping doing this. You can't keep doing shitty things, and then feel bad about yourself, like that makes it okay. You need to be better. No. No, Bojack, just stop. You are all the things that are wrong with you. It's not the alcohol, or the drugs, or any of the shitty things that happened to you in your career, or when you were a kid. It's you. Alright? It's you. Fuck, man. What else is there to say?

Do you think it's an artistic choice that the show, like Bojack, retreads the same ground over and over again?

You cannot hope to change if it's all you've ever known, and cannot possibly grasp the consequences of what might be.
In some aspects, yes. Look at when they use the word 'Fuck'.
It's always when he's completely obliterate a relationship. Remember that Baboon that's almost always seen jogging outside his house? That's a good use of retreading a character too.

Then explain why he was a respectable person when he first met Herb and Charlotte? You guys are saying his childhood made him but his dickishness didn't kick in until he was a grown ass man with a career.

He tried to repress what he learned as a child. When he became a Television star, he was introduced into the decadent world of Hollywood, even if he was a B-List Television star. He had no hope.

I don't really know. I think the writers have done a good job of giving Bojack a vast and varied set of ways to fail. The only way it's really 'repetitive' is (often) due to Bojack's own self-inflicted incompetence. I'm interested to see where they will bring this in season 4. Both s1 and s2 had somewhat conclusive endings, but 3 was a cliffhanger. I guess some news on season 4 will be happening very shortly.

I hope he has some happiness, even if it's with running with those Horses.

He wasn't corrupted by Hollywood at the start. There are several major moments in the show that highlight this. This whole series is a study to demonstrate the evil of (((hollywoo))) and how it must be stopped.

Hollywoo is not some singular corrupting force. A bunch of shit could have served as bojacks personal crucible and revealed the same flaws. Bojack tries to be successful in spite of his failings and ultimately doesn't triumph. The question they keep hitting you over the head with is "what is real success?'

Based /our guy/ tier:
Princess Carolyn
Bojack

Mindless idiot tier:
Todd
Mr. Peanutbutter

Die in a fire tier:
Diane

>not liking Mr Peanutbutter

>embodies the qualities of an obnoxious Chad and a limpwristed pushover

Fuck him.

its just Bojack. He knows what he has to do to stop fucking up his life but he refuses to spend the mental effort it takes to treat other people as people and not just potential sources of validation.

or he is a nihilist who realizes nothing really matters so why not try to make some meaning and fun while you can

>peanutbutter
>mindless idiot
that's what he wants you to think

Diane and todd should be swapped
todd is literally just a fucking leech that was put there to keep the family guy audience entertained

I think the core of it is that he's such a total failure. Bojack's successful, but he's never succeeded.

Think about his career. His successes are due to Herb, Diane, Kacey, and Computer Bojack. Anything he has he owes to others, usually others he's fucked over.

It makes sense that he can't be happy, and is constantly driven to self destructive behavior looking for some kind of win. He's hollow and he knows it.

Also, I think it's a big part of why he's friends with PB and Todd. Because they're both immensely successful in their own fucked up ways.

Fuck up the kid and you fuck up the adult too.
He is how he is because his parents, but it's also his own fault not being able to change, realize that how his parents were its just the kind of roles he should evade, he certainly took a lot of his parents personalities.