How come it feels like Superman is starting to feel like a relic from a bygone era like baseball being America's...

How come it feels like Superman is starting to feel like a relic from a bygone era like baseball being America's favorite past time. I always see and hear people talk more about Batman yet I never once see people talk about the Kryptonian. I see and hear more people talk about fucking Goku. Supes still has his loyal fans, but it just seems like his standing as that quincuncial hero is fading and continues to fade. I wouldn't be surprised in Wonder Woman starts getting more of a following after that movie.

I cannot help but suspect this may be due to the younger generations wanting more realistic and less supernatural in their comic book heroes. It may even be connected to millennials being less spiritual and thus more likely to root for a hero who is human in comparison to a god.

Please tell me there is a possibility for a second stand-alone Superman movie as good as the Wonder Woman movie so Ol' Supes can regain some eminence? I remember when other works of media would reference Superman and now it seems like Batman is the new favorite to reference.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jnd2Xp3Dlnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I remember there was a guy on YouTube who made shorts featuring superhero action figures and he essentially made a movie where Superman had to stop Lex Luthor from taking Stan Lee into the DC Universe to wipe out Marvel Comics. The end had Stan Lee and all of the Marvel & DC heroes saying thanks and showing their appreciation for the hero that started it all. It actually made me cry a bit.

I take the bus regularly and walk around a lot - even when traveling. Pretty much every city, country or place I go, I see the Superman shield. It's also a common tattoo.

I think it's a symbol, like the Christian cross, that has a certain appeal - people know the basic story, and the basic idea of Superman.

It's the same thing as Spider-man becoming more culturally relevant since the original Raimi run, same as with Ironman (who was a B- list character at best before the films), and likewise with Batman.

If they had a successful run of films with Superman Returns, it would be a totally different story today as far as comics, and cons, and the like, but Superman is still a top tier character.

I tend to see more shirts with Captain America's shield to be honest.

>I think it's a symbol, like the Christian cross

What does the shield symbolize? Hope was mentioned in Man of Steel. My brother believes it stands for honor who worships the big guy to a point that I am surprised there aren't any churches devoted to Supes as there are to Jedi.

It just seems like Kal-El's lore could make a better religion than that of Star Wars.

Your post reminded me of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jnd2Xp3Dlnc

I'm still at a loss Sup Forums, how would you update Superman's design while preserving the strongman vibe of the old suit?

I'm not that old (I'm in my early 20s) but Fleischer Supes is what defined Superman for me and I always loved the whole "just a super strong guy" combined with the strongman look. From that perspective is there a possible way to modernize Superman while still communicating those design elements without making them seem dated?

Why is Superman Beyond in Elseworlds and not Animation REEEE

Superman doesn't appeal to a lot of people. When you don't read comics, what you know of him portray him as a good guy with incredible powers and no real drawback. He doesn't seem to have any flaw or problem.

And because they don't read comics, the only Superman's foe they know is Lex Luthor, who has no power.

With San Goku who is also a nice guy, they know that he has to train, to surpass himself to win. Even if Superman doesn't always get easy wins, he is perceived as unstoppable.

In short, a character's appeal beyond his looks is often his struggles and for the general public, Superman is devoid of struggle and thus boring.

>I'm still at a loss Sup Forums, how would you update Superman's design while preserving the strongman vibe of the old suit?
You don't need to update it. Costumes are not meant to be practical, that's what makes them costumes. The whole point is to wear something that allow Superman to be recognised, similar to real life and why many police uniforms are intentionally loud and recognisable. People need to know "that person is superman, I can go to him for help".

This is of course different if a character needed to use stealth and work in the shadows. But Superman doesn't need to work in the shadows. So him wearing primary colours is 100% sensible. He should be seen and identified where ever he goes, and the world is better for it when they can see Superman out and about.

Those people should educate themselves or else face possible euthanasia.

You know I've thought about this too, and I'm not really sure you can, because the strongman suit is a forgotten artifact in this day and age. What I would do I try to give him more of a working man vibe. The T-Shirt and jeans look from Morrison's Action Comics was terrible, but I think the general thrust of it has merit. So rather than actual t-shirt and jeans, I'd make him wear a suit that sort of emulated the style. Rolled up sleeves, open collar, noticeably distinct shirt and pants, heavy duty-looking boots, that kind of thing.

>Current year
>things like wikileaks and whisteblowers in general are more relevant than they've been since Watergate
>Superman's powers would contribute greatly not just to hunting down the truth, but also to protecting whistleblowers from harm, and knowing they are under superman's protection would make them a lot more willing to testify.
>his whole motto is 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way'
>His day job is a journalist
>DC and Warner Bros. still haven't put two and two together to realize what they can do to make a movie with an enormous cultural impact

Because he hasn't had a good movie in 37 years.
>Please tell me there is a possibility for a second stand-alone Superman movie as good as the Wonder Woman movie
Of course there is. Just not under Snyder and probably not with the current one in the DCEU.

Though if anyone can do it's Geoff Johns.

Nationalism in general has died down which makes sense considering people aren't just tied to the nation they were born in anymore

People also tend to not like when you portray Superman having drawbacks or struggling.

People are fine with Superman having drawbacks and struggling. It's just that 'struggling' these days can only mean 'being a mopey emo fuck'

>With San Goku who is also a nice guy
Goku is not a nice guy. He's a selfish idiot that literally only cares about fighting.

Maybe because the only people you talk to are teens and early 20's.

It never needed updating. He's the first superhero. He codified the general look and moved it beyond just the mere 'strong man' element. He should be allowed to keep the trunks, cape, and everything else because he makes it timeless

I don't know, I think you can stay true to the original and still make some tweaks and updates to make it more interesting and modern. And I think DC should feel free to experiment with it.

nah he's still nice

he's basically a nice idiot that only cares about fighting and even then it's mainly for sport unless whoever he's fighting has to be taken out