Let us discuss the guardians of the galaxy, volume 2

Let us discuss the guardians of the galaxy, volume 2.

Collect your thoughts, and share them with me

I really enjoyed it, the guardians movies are comedies with enjoyable action set pieces.

I teared up like an idiot with the fireworks

I want art of Ego trying to rape Mogo and Hellstar Remina.

I enjoyed it but I think they made drax too, for lack of a better word, quippy

He's the size of our moon, Mogo's big enough to tear apart Oa with his gravity field alone and he has a green lantern ring, he would fuck Ego up. Remina I'm not sure how well he'd do against, but she's fucked up enough as planets go to enjoy attempted rape. I think Ego getting even tangentially involved in a Junji Ito story is something he would only come to regret, he's a simple planet after all. Getting his dick wet, remaking the universe in his own image. Itoh story dream logic isn't something that could really hurt him but it would confuse the hell out of him for millennia.

It was the oppisite of AoU
AoU was the first movie but with more shit from the first movie thrown in
This was the first movie but with more great from the first movie thrown in

It was okay. The first half was pretty bland, with a bunch of really forced jokes. I quite enjoyed the second half though, pretty much from the prison break on throughout the end. Ego actually started being menacing, they laid off the jokes every 5 seconds, & there was at least one shot of Ego as he appears in the comics which was more than I was expecting. Plus we saw the original guardians, howard the duck again, were teased adam warlock, & fucking Uatu made an appearance which I would have never anticipated. All in all, I'd say it's more good than bad. Side note, baby groot totally sucked ass. I hope they skip the teenage groot shit for the next movie & just have him back to normal.

It didn't make any sense.
>Ego tells Peter that he'll outlive everyone, but he couldn't have waited a few decades for his waifu to kick the bucket
>Ego needs the power of two Celestials, but Peter gets all of his Celestial power from Ego

>Ego tells Peter that he'll outlive everyone, but he couldn't have waited a few decades for his waifu to kick the bucket

Nah, that's just his god complex at work. Ego contradicts himself a lot, he thinks he's so godlike and beyond mortals but he doesn't seem to really know how to interact with them. But he thinks he's does. Es egotistical, which is a very mortal shortcoming.

And it seemed like he needed two Celestials to channel the expansion. Like he couldn't turn the light full bright and expand at the same time.

I really want Peter to meet a real Celestial in the third movie. then that celestial explains to peter that Ego wasn't one of them. Ego is just some asshole that survived from a previous iteration of the Universe.

That's a valid interpretation, but I think they should have explored it a little more, maybe have somebody mention that he's full of shit. I think it would have been a better use of time than just having him fall asleep.

tfw Mantis decides to help out immediately after feeling Drax's loss, perhaps being the first time in her life she has felt such feelings

I thought the movie made it pretty clear that Ego had let his ego get the better of him.

His plan to seed the universe was a result of a desire for meaning and companionship, not an end in itself.

In the time it took for him to seed the universe and mate trying to make another celestial to help him he lost sight of the reason he was doing what he was doing.

He had found the companionship he craved in Peter's mother but threw that away because it was "distracting" him from his mission, and he had found the meaning he craved in caring for Peter but threw that away for the same reason.

Ego is a tragic character in GOTG2

Ego was way too one-dimensional

Didn't Ego say he needed to regularly return to his planet body or he would die. Living with his waifu for a few decades probably would have killed him. Ego recognized this and decided to put his self-appointed purpose above his love for Peter's mom.

That doesn't make it any better He could have taken her with him. He could have just kept going back and forth for another 50 or so years until she died. Instead he decides to give her cancer.

Back when The Hobbit movies were coming out I quite enjoyed the first one, but the second one I disliked enough that I have no intention of ever watching it again, and by the time I was watching the third and it got to Thorin's death scene I was really annoyed and spent the entire scene just WAITING for them to make another fucking joke during what was possibly the only particularly dramatic moment in the book. I was legitimately surprised when Jackson had the decency to hold off for a few minutes more at least. 3 years later I watched GotG volume 2 and my nightmare was finally realized during the funeral.

7/10 it was okay.

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Granted, I never thought the first one was the second coming of Jesus either, so maybe I'm just not fond of James Gunn's style.

The movie looked amazing, that's for sure. The characters, plot and writing in general is what dragged down the movie for me. I usually think the "le quips XD" meme is overused when it comes to the MCU, but this time I really felt they exaggerated with the comedy. Almost all the dramatic moments were ruined by jokes and it became really annoying when they couldn't just let the characters be serious for more than 2 minutes. Nebula's speech about killing Thanos and then Kraglin making a shitty joke was a prime example of this. I want to enjoy the GotG more because I love cosmic shit, but I fear that until James Gunn is gone I won't be able to fully get behind this part of the MCUverse. He has an eye for the visuals, but I don't think he's a very good screenwriter.

I thought the Kraglin scene was kinda cute, but I see what you mean. What really stuck out was Groot, though. I get that it's appealing to kids, but holy shit, he was just annoying and his scenes dragged on forever.

I expected baby Groot to be much worse actually, so I was kinda pleasantly surprised he wasn't in it that much. It's Drax who was too much for me, they really just dialed him up to 11 this time and it was obnoxious.

I did like the scene with Mantis feeling his sorrow, but that was just one scene and also very short. I don't know man, it frustrates me that Gunn is so hellbent on turning this franchise into a full blown comedy. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like even Whedon was more restrained with the jokes, even if he also had a tendency to undercut dramatic moments with comedy.

Memes, memes and more memes

I'm never there for the bit at the end of the credits where they talk about the next movie.

What was it?

it was good, ravagers part was pointless. weird how yondu was suddenly dad of the year tho.

I imagine that Drax was more obnoxious because his entire role in the movie was based around Mantis. And they decided that this meant that he had to treat her like shit instead of exploring his grief or something.

Ayesha shows the other gold people the weapon that will destroy the GotG once and for all (Adam Warlock in a cocoon).

>it frustrates me that Gunn is so hellbent on turning this franchise into a full blown comedy

brainlet detected

Great argument.

>arguing with someone who won't change their mind

you have a teeny brain

I like all of the character as the are though. The only one that felt bad this time was Ego, because it was just a villain stereotype.

>Adam Warlock just in time to miss Infinity War

that still pisses me off.

Too many fucking subplots.
The main storyline, the relationship between Peter and his dad, is great. Kurt Russel is so fucking good in this movie. There's fantastic action sequences and a lot of the banter is really solid.

The problem is that it gets weighed down by all this superfluous garbage.

Why is Yondu now a secondary protagonist?
How in the fuck is this movie expecting me to actually care about Stallones character when his introduction is one of the most painfully awkward things I've ever seen? Why is Yondu getting fired now for something he did 30 years ago?

Outside of being a future plot hook for Adam Warlock, what purpose do the Sovereign serve in the story? None that justifies their presence in this movie.

Why is Drax a noncharacter? He gets no narrative development, he's literally useless in fights, and his personality just seems like an exaggerated version of the first movie.

Baby Groot outwore his welcome by the end of the first GOTG's credits sequence, bringing him back for the next one reeks of merchandising cash grabs.

I'm reiterating this point a bit, but seriously, how are people okay with the original Guardians being teased in a plot hook clunkier than Bruce's email in BvS? I'm the only person I know of that even knew who those people were, and I couldn't give a shit. It's only going to be worse with regular viewers.

I liked it.

Didn't mind Ego being just a guy for 90% of the movie, cause we still got to see the Ego planet face.
Good humour though some of the running jokes didn't feel good enough to keep as a running joke (the whole fruit wasn't ripe yet gag).

The Sovereigns let them do actiony space fights and Yondu was part of the them of fatherhood, but you're right. That's the problem with team movies. You can have a main guy and have the central conflict focus on him, but everybody on the team needs a role.

If you take the MCU as a series, it was very much a filler movie.

But I liked it regardless, barring the overlong Groot scenes, which were fine in theory but were dragged out way too long.

I hope Starlord still has some residual powers in future movies.

The Sovereign were fucking amazing, I loved every second they were on screen

>Why is Yondu now a secondary protagonist?
>How in the fuck is this movie expecting me to actually care about Stallones character when his introduction is one of the most painfully awkward things I've ever seen? Why is Yondu getting fired now for something he did 30 years ago?

Stallone's character was to retcon Yondu from being just a pirate who threatens to eat kids, to a guy who actually has a past and feelings. Without that, his death wouldn't have any impact, because who gives a fuck

I don't like how useless drax was in the second movie compared to the first he was just there to laugh and dick jokes

Drax was always going to be useless until they get to Thanos.

To be honest, outside Rocket and Starlord, the entire team was useless.

Well to be fair he's pretty fucking worthless in the first movie too. What did Drax even contribute?

>If you take the MCU as a series, it was very much a filler movie.

Except a lot more development happened here than say, Iron Man 3, or Thor 2.

It was aight. Could have used less jokes, and more father shit. Also a Bowie song wouldn't hurt; Kooks, btw.

Shouldn't it be in time for part 2?

He reminded me too much of a friend with Aspeger. Then he went to watch the movie and said he felt really identified, so I guess we can say without doubt Drax is autistic.

I really liked that they didn't play a love redeems with Ego. He even says he really loved Meredith to the point of thinking about dropping his mission just to be with her, but in the end his purpose was greater and so he had to kill her or else he would get too attached to even more stuff related to her.

I'm a fag for bad guys getting some power of love but I'm glad it got subverted with Ego. And thinking about it a few movies this season have played with that too (the new King Arthur movie and Alien Covenant)

He called Ronan and triggered the third part of the plot. In a very weird way, he contributed to the birth of the team for good.

He didn't WANT to wait, because he thought over the years he would get too attached and give up his galaxy-replacing plan

>Ego needs the power of two Celestials, but Peter gets all of his Celestial power from Ego
He needed Peter as a channeler of his own power, not as a secondary source. I don't remember in detail but he implied he couldn't work his thing while terraforming the other planets because that would get his full attention. Peter himself could barely move while he was used

Seriously, all of this shit is explained very damn openly in movie

It looked a lot like Wonder Woman.
You discover you have god-like powers. Other entity with said powers tries to convince you to join them.
Only that Ares was more convincing.

I liked Gamora x Nebula action scene, the 700 jumps and Yondu having more screen time.

Great visuals with Ego's planet and the first battle with the Sovereign

No, user, he's an alien.

I have an alien friend? Now I only need a robot friend then.

I want more Rocket in Vol. 3

How was that hat?

That was me. I honestly forgot about it cause seeing him as Stakar was pretty neat.

A lot of the humor was derived from a double-blind 'look how forced our jokes are! Isn't it funny how not funny they are?' angle, which I didn't feel at all.

Ultimately it just felt like the first movie without restraint.

>He needed Peter as a channeler of his own power, not as a secondary source. I don't remember in detail

he literally says if Peter won't help then he'll be used as a battery

My bet: he's still half celestibrain, but he has no power source. He's brought down to "human" until he gets a new one.

Like an Infinity Gem.

>He's the size of our moon
Well remina ate both the moon and earth but it also just generally isn't as constrained by the normal rules of our reality so it can do stuff like move at ftl speeds. It spun the earth and scoured its surface with a lick and it can convert other living things into more of itself.
Ego would probably just be eaten/converted.

>Why is Yondu getting fired now for something he did 30 years ago?
Seemed pretty obvious that Yondu had been exiled shunned, whatever for a while, and Stakar's reaction was to the robo-brothel for servicing Yondu's exiled crew. Stakar and Yondu's conversation was clunky exposition, but it didn't feel like something new for the two characters.

>I'm the only person I know of that even knew who those people were, and I couldn't give a shit.
We're in the same boat and they felt wasted for me. Like, thanks for the cameo because it was always weird to me that Yondu of all characters was the only OG Guardian that featured in the first movie, but I have no idea what we're supposed to expect of the rest of them now. It's not like the average moviegoer is going to have the first fucking clue who the old Guardians are, and I doubt they're going to be anything more than a cameo, so what was the point?

I agree with the rest of your post

As someone who lost his father recently damn this movie was very emotional for me especially the death of yondu

I like that he become as into Quill's music as he is.
I wonder if they ever accidentally start singing along together

Drax is an outer space aspie illegal alien shooting green cream out his peehole dipping his dick in some Listerine gonna clean his ween

He clearly idolized Peter, tried to do nice things for him, argued with him constantly, and loved his music though he'd deny it to the end. Peter is the first person Rocket's ever had that he wanted to be friends with this badly. He's a lonely little guy so it's not surprising he's a bit clingy.

Actually better than the first. Well made, good looking, emotional. I also thought it was funnier than the first, where most of the humor was pretty flat for me. Perhaps a bit too jokey at times, and I didn't care for the power levels fight at the end. Overall top tier Marvel, but not the best.

That's just cause battery is the easiest way to get the point across.

Hobbit 3 had that annoying bit where Gandalf noisily cleans his pipe minutes after Thorin has kicked it, took me right out of the scene.

I thought it was a definite improvement over the first one, but there were 2 scenes that could have been cut shorter or improved upon.

1) was that damn spaceship quipfest between Rocket and Taser-face. I get mocking someone for having a cliche 5th grader-like nickname but Taserface was just a little too clunky to be made fun of properly and it felt like 5 minutes of forced laughter.

2) Ego's seduction of Peter and subsequent reveal of his mass-genocidal plan should have been much more subtle and unnerving. Instead, we got 2 minutes of him saying "we can be gods" and then just clumsily saying he gave Peter's mom cancer and then they fought. I'd rather he make Peter consider that the universe sucks and make them out to be grand protectors, and then slowly unveil that the plan would actually eliminate all life. Then if Peter balked Ego could have gotten mad and talked about the sacrifices he made and then you get the mom-murder reveal.

Other than that though, it was great. The Sovereign was awesome, Rocket was top billing, I liked the Ego fight and all the father-son-Yondu stuff. Music was jamming as always and it was a colorful, spacey, fun 2 and some hours.

I liked it overall, but my one, issue, and it is one that I fortunately cannot just ignore, is how the movie handled certain, non comedic scenes. Scenes such as the fight between Peter and Ego, and the funeral of Yondu, often have needless humor injected into them that absolutely destroy the mood.

What's worse is that there were dramatic scenes that didn't have humor injected into them that really made me feel the emotions. I know the movie was capable of restraining itself and not try to make jokes ever second, but it wasn't able hold itself back enough.

The movie suffers, significantly in my opinion, because of this alone. Still, the movie over all is entertaining and I do not regret spending the money to go and see it, it's still one of the better movies in the Second Phase.

Not going to lie, I actually liked it better than the first in terms of writing and tone, especially in the later half which got better. Some jokes worked and there were some jokes that were kind of lame and overplayed like Taserface and the Raccoon Rocket bit which reeked of Bendis-styled writing.

I can understand why people give it slack for not living up to the originality of the first. But it did things bittersweet and even shocking (Breaking Star-Lord's Walk-Man was a bold move which I loved) which I wholeheartedly praise for it. Also a great villain and by far the best ending in the MCU so far.

>but I have no idea what we're supposed to expect of the rest of them now.
They serve two purposes.

1) They flesh out Yondu's backstory and characterization

2) They serve as a nod to the fans who'll know who they are.

Most of them only appear properly in the after credits scene so its not like they clutter up the movie or anything.

What joke was made during the funeral?

user is probably referring to the David Hasslehoff reference, which was a bit much. Without it we would have had five solid minutes of Being Rocket Is Suffering, though.

Meh.

Yandu was good, but everything surrounding him was just... sort of bland.

I found myself incredibly bored during the finale, which is never a good sign.

I'm sorry I didn't do none of it right. I'm damn lucky you was my boy.

>what purpose do the Sovereign serve in the story? None that justifies their presence in this movie.

Setting up the current Guardians status quo. The first scene establishes that they've become galactic heroes for hire. Similar to how in every Spider-Man movie there are scenes of him foiling convenience store robberies that have nothing to do with the main plot. Instead of leaving it at that, they decided to also tie them in as the reason the Guardians get stranded on that planet, and also the source of the explosives used in the climax.

Considering my trouble history with him fuck that quote got me

I don't remember it really, and i was the same with "please don't make a joke now"

It was a better movie than the first. Vol. 1's main flaw was the villain. Ronan was just some asshole who wanted to destroy a planet with a MacGuffin, the only characters who had a connection to him were Drax and Gamora (kind of), Peter doesn't even meet him until the very end of the film, who then procedes to beat him with a dance-off distraction. Vol. 2 fixed all of that, Ego is legitimately one of the best MCU villains yet.

I have to issues with 2, one being that the humor is just flatout bad at times, and the other being Star-Lord and Yondu's relationship. I think it would have been better to have a scene earlier in the film where Yondu calls to warn him about Ego and Peter tells him to fuck off (something along the lines of "You're not my real dad!"). It's the same issue as Ronan, they don't even meet until the very end of the film.

I suspect that Ego's human form was based a bit on God in "The Creation of Adam".

He's based on this which was probably inspired by that.

>I'm a fag for bad guys getting some power of love but I'm glad it got subverted with Ego.
I liked the way that Ego plays with the whole "Space-Dad comes to teach character how to use his superpowers" trope.

Since it turns out that Ego only needs Peter as basically an amplifier and would've killed him like all the others if he hadn't been able to do what he wants.

Knowing that it was Yondu who Ego had transport the children to him, I found myself wondering if Yondu's liking for trinkets and shinies was because he used to give them to the little ones as gifts.

The David Hasslehoff thing in the eulogy? How was that a joke? It was Quill saying he had his dream dad all along.

>In some places being autistic isn't weird, its custom.

something something Sup Forums

It wasn't a joke so much as Quill trying to say something about his relationship with Yondu by tying it in with his story about pretending Hasselhoff was his father. It wasn't a quip so much as an awkward, sentimental elegy from Quill about Yondu, but because its not silent solemnity or a stirring prepared speech its being called a joke.

>Mantis lives with Ego and sees him killing his children time and time again
>only after feeling what Drax feels for his dead daughter does she realize that a parent who kills their children is a severely fucked up individual
Holy shit, I'm a fucking idiot for not realizing this sooner.

I think they just needed a scene early in the movie where Yondu uses young Quill to go steal something like they reference a lot later. Just so you get a better sense of what life was like back then for them.

Why do you think Ego needed Mantis to help him sleep?

Was it because, deep down, some part of him felt guilty about what he'd done?

Mayne he gets so worked up thinking about the Expansion all the time that he can't calm down enough to fall asleep?

I honestly don't know, a celestial needing a sleep aid is a weird concept to me.

I could've sworn that Mantis says at some point that without her he 'lies awake thinking of his progeny'.

I think this was the case. It's not like Ego didn't have a moralistic system. He actually did love Peter's mom and therefore must feel sort of guilty for killing all of his children.

That just makes him even worse, really.

It wasn't that he *couldn't* feel love and guilt and everything, it was just that he preferred to push them away and ignore them in favour of his "purpose" instead of facing the certainty that the companionship he was looking for was there all along.

What did Yondu think transporting the kids was for, anyways? Did Ego feed him a sob story about wanting to be reunited with his many progeny or something?

I think so, yeah, or so he tells Stakar. It was only right before he went to pick Peter up that Yondu discovered the truth, which is why he kept him.

I'm shocked that things got so bad that Ego probably killed millions (if not billions) of people in the third act. Thanos is going to have to step up the murder in Infinity War if he hopes to compete.

How much money did The Hoff get for the whole 5 seconds he appeared in this movie?

He also sang some lyrics in the credits.

I think Brandy is a fine girl
What a good wife she would be

good movie
the first one was better
they dialed the jokes up to 11 and that didnt pay off.
the soundtrack was good but its not better than the first.
all in all, it was bad until the mid point and it then picks up nicely.

>all in all, it was bad until the mid point and it then picks up nicely.
I keep seeing that opinion here, but I've seen it several times and I think the pacing is just fine. There's just enough switching back and forth between the two halves of the party (RocketGrootYondu/everyone else) to keep things interesting.

Also, while the musical choices are arguably weaker, they are used better. Almost every song has a strong thematic tie to the scene it's in.