When did you accept that cape comics peaked in the Bronze Age?

When did you accept that cape comics peaked in the Bronze Age?

Last night actually. I was thinking about the last time I sat an enjoyed a complete story in a floppy and it was some late 80s X-Men and Daredevil stuff

Flash and Zatanna are about to go FUCK

Whites only

I really do think the industry took a body blow when the deconstructionist era rolled around. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns might be excellent but they polluted the entire industry. Tearing some stuff down to see whats underneath is intriguing - tearing everything down leaves nothing left.

There was a period in JLA that a Barry-Zee relationship was pushed. It never seem to go anywhere, I'm assuming the solo Flash writers had no interest in the JLA writers dictating their character development.

>Fuck the JLA. I'm gonna build my own crime fighting team, with blackjack and hookers.

It's kind of obvious once you read from enough years.

>There was a period in JLA that a Barry-Zee relationship was pushed. It never seem to go anywhere, I'm assuming the solo Flash writers had no interest in the JLA writers dictating their character development.
This happened at the beginning of Rebirth with Barry and Jessica too.
The more things change...

Sick comic
This and New Mutants, NTT, Alpha Flight, All-Star Squadron, and X-Men and LOSH and Byrne's FF. Team books used to be so good then but now there isn't a single good team book.

And J'onn seems intent on watching it all go down.

I think it's mostly the fact that writers have generally lost the ability to tell meaningful stories so it gets amplified when you add more characters.

Batman was right. I love how his break from the JLA actually felt organic. It was a situation where everybody acted in character, it wasn't Superman acting like a wild out of character fascist dick for contrived plot contrivance reasons.

I am partial to Roy Thomas Avengers

That is just one of a few things that went down. CoTI fixed tons of shit that wasn't broke to create a new, supposedly more solid foundation- that never a came to pass.
At around the same time OG Secret Wars destroyed the self-contained integrity of Marvel's entire line of books. I've got tons of Marvel Omnis and epic collection and the taint of SW is like a hard barrier of when the fun just fucking ends.
Fuck Jim Shooter.

All my life, really. I was born in 1993 but all the comics I got as a kid were old shit from the 80s and I suppose that cemented what comic books were meant to be in my mind.

>I really do think the industry took a body blow when the deconstructionist era rolled around. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns might be excellent but they polluted the entire industry.

Post-Modernism is a creative dead end. There is literally no where new you can go after deconstruction, it's all just varying degrees of homage to the past. A cynical deconstruction like Moore's Watchmen is particularly difficult to follow up. Morrison is arguably the most important post-80's cape writer because he deconstructs from a place of love and affection.

Nah, they peaked in the Dark ages. Everything that followed was of a lesser quality and full of nostalgia. Even the pic is ironic since JLI>>>>>Bronze age JLA.

Not a Marvel reader. What SW did that was so bad?

What the shit is the Dark Ages?

>Gold - pulp, WWII
>Silver - Stan's Marvel, DC sci-fi relaunch, post-Seduction of the Innocent
>Bronze - Social relevance, boomer creators, Comics Code revision
>80's - Moore, Miller, Claremont, Shooter, Crisis
>90's - Liefeld, Lee, Vertigo, industry crash
>"Modern" Age - Widescreen comics, crossovers, nostalgia, niche

Everything post COIE, Watchmen, DKR until late 90s is the dark age.

"The Bronze Age" is a meme, user. It goes Gold, Silver, Post-Crisis.

>Barry and Zatanna get together
>their descendants are wizards who can move at the speed of light

how horrifying

The Dark Ages do not exist. It's just a term old nerds use to villify stuff they don't like.

They never really peaked the majority were always pretty mediocre. Especially when Dennis O'Neil and Giordano were over batman in the eighties and nineties. They reigned that shit in, and we got classic runs like Year One. I think the real problem was the rise of fanboy writers like Roy Thomas and John Byrne (and later Geoff Johns). I feel like we are getting better writers now than then because newer writers like Scott Snyder and Tom King like superheroes, but not LOVE them

>When did you accept that cape comics peaked in the Bronze Age?
around the time Infinite Crisis came out for DC, and around One More Day for Marvel

Prior to SW you could read many single titles forever, without ever having to look at any other books to get the whole story. The only real exceptions were ASM and Spectacular Spider-Man, and even there, aside from referencing each other, the books were largely spearate.
After SW, crossover and event shit slowly took over. At first it is kind of harmless and occasionally even fun, but eventually it leads to the shit event-cycle and the aftermath of the decades of it that we have now.

You're literally missing at least two full on industry crashes. Look up the DC implosion.

I don't think they ever ended up together . it was just a weird sub plot in JLA back then.

I think it was when Iris was dead or something. I don't like when Superheroes Date (well other superheroes from other books). Superheroes date Normies

also Bronze Age is widely considered the peak of Superhero comics

>I think the real problem was the rise of fanboy writers like Roy Thomas and John Byrne (and later Geoff Johns).

This is complete nonsense. Houseroy was a fanboy writer but he was anything but derivative. Avengers would have died a garbage comic just like Stan's X-Men if it wasn't for Roy's run. He's responsible for making the Avengers who they are more than anybody with original stories like Vision and the Kree-Skrull War that Stan or Jack or Ditko or the old guys never would have done. Thomas was younger and more educated and had a more literate style that the older guys ever dreamed. Plus he's just about singularly responsible for Conan which is arguably one of the most influential Marvel comics of the 70's.

You have a point with Johns but don't lump a pure nostalgia act like him in with an innovator who was occasionally prone to nostalgia like Thomas.

RT is a little verbose, and I really only like him on Conan, but I agree with your larger point.

Dark age or iron age. Whatever you call it, was an actual age, dumbass.

This. And Year one can be argued to be an early dark age comic. The age that followed the Bronze age had a much bigger improvement in the quality of writers. Milligan, Morrison, Delano and the rest of British invasion was a lot more talented than the likes of Byrne, Roy Thomas and Wolfman. Capes weren't even the definitive genre of the Bronze age. Bronze age is best known for bringing back the horror and War Comics.

I haven't read Johns' GL but didn't he add a ton to it? I thought he was supposedly the Claremont of Green Lantern.

He's unoriginal.
Sinestro Corps are copied from the Anti-Green Lantern Corps.
Black Lanterns and Nekron were a gimmick during the Kyle era.
The Blackest Night is an old Alan Moore tale.

I really love this. Is he quitting crime-fighting to join Motörhead? Or taking them under his wing to be crime-fighter? Now we'll never know. Batman/Lemmy team-up never :(

I don't think you under stand what anons mean when they're talking about being original.

Marvel's best years cape and otherwise were the 70's.
Doug Moench is as good as anyone that came before or after.
The Brits bring a very particular set of elemets to the table and as hard as it might be to believe, not everyone digs that stuff. Also some of them are just shit, and always have been, loved only by
I'd read Lee era ASM or Calremont x-men before I'd bother with Ennis, Ellis or Millar. Fuck, I'd rather read Wolfman.

I feel like the problem with Thomas is that he does write more literately than those old guys, he is still a worse writer than them. Those stories hold up worse than even older material because they are just a bit smarter but less talented. Take a run like Metamorpho or Arnold Drakes's doom Patrol. That material is more fun and has stronger characters than the "smarter" hard science fiction inspired Thomas'es work.

Zatanna was a dude magnet back in the day.

I accepted it years ago

Hi Byrne.

Enjoy your Crossed, angloboo.

I suspected it from reading old Spideys, FFs and Iron Mans as a kid. I confirmed it when I first read Steve Gerber's Man-Thing in high school.

And what is the new age called then?

There's no nicknames yet but you can probably draw the line with Identity Crisis for DC and Avengers Disassembled for Marvel.

You can't name an age when you're in it bro, you need perspective.

If I had to guess I'd say cape comics right now will be remembered most by the never ending stream of reboots and the capeshit movies.

Age of Lead.

What are some good Bronze Age DC stories/runs? Any character.

Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams.

Jim Aparo on the Spectre
Anything Kirby, but especially DC
Aparo and Bob Haney on Brave and the Bold
Frank Robbins on Batman (even better than the O'Neil run in my opinion, Robbins rarely did art but his style is great)
Trimp on Hulk is good art-wise but the stories aren't great

Nigga, there's clearly a tonal shift after the Silver Age. Also would you call a Marvel book Post-crisis?

>Friendship with Justice League is over
>Now the Outsiders are my best friends

they didnt die for me until the reboot upon reboot cycle began. so i just quit reading floppies alotogether, plenty of good old stuff out there.

>Shitter and CO.
Is N. Ersha /ouroldguy/ ?