Why don't modern Cartoon Network shows ever reference classical Hanna-Barbera anymore?

Why don't modern Cartoon Network shows ever reference classical Hanna-Barbera anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k2Lr9RdaeJM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because kids wouldn't know what they're referencing.

Because tumblrite pansexual animators in their 20s don't give a shit about vintage Hanna-Barbera. Then again very few people under 35 do.

>Because tumblrite pansexual animators
No need to go full retard right out the gate.

Kids don't know what the fuck Hanna-Barbera is anymore.

Rebecca sugar is well known for being obsessed with vintage western animation

nuPPG actually did.

Because Hanna-Barbera sucks my balls.

Nothing from the TV era should be considered old animation.

Because cartoons are written by adults, and as adults, those writers are at least a generation ahead of the target demographic they're writing for.

Hanna-Barbera references showed up in 90s/2000s cartoons for the same reason that Sailor Moon, Zelda, and 90s "x-treme!" jokes show up in the cartoons of today. In both cases, it's just stuff the writers grew up with. The gap stays constant; it merely shifts as time goes on.

It's also worth noting that a lot of older stuff doesn't get rerun in syndication anymore. You can be sure that kids in the 90s were watching OG Scooby and the Flintstones, but as habits have shifted away from the TV with time, those older shows lose airtime and relevance.

>Nothing from the TV era should be considered old animation.
How much of an oldfag are you?

Scooby Doo and Flintstones were the only worthwhile HB cartoons anyway

/thread

I never watched Grape-Ape, Dynomutt, Johnny Quest, etc. as a kid and still knew who they were when they would show up in a Cartoon Cartoon.

They were only referenced because the guys making cartoons at that time grew up with them.
These new people didn't, for the most part they grew up what those guys made

And kids today would be even more disconnected.

>obsessed with vintage western animation

You're at least a decade older than their target audience, and chances are your parents watched those cartoons.

Gitaroo Man fucking rules so eat shit

>doesn't watch Uncle Grandpa
You're missing out, OP

Astro showed up in Samurai Jack recently

I still have the game and i still love it.

What's the problem?
Early animation is late 1800's - mid 1920's.
Golden age animation is late 20's - early 60's.
That's about 70 years in total.

I know many people here consider anything that stopped airing 2 years ago as 'old', but that doesn't mean I should. As someone who knows and cares a lot about the short era, I find it is almost unthinkable to consider anything past 60's-ish as being old. It's a completely different era, using a completely different medium (TV), geared towards a completely different audience (baby boomers). Modern animation started around the late 60's.

>Pretending they don't exist

>The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo!, and Gravity Falls all rolled into one
Wander Over Yonder truly was too good for this world.

>Wander Over Yonder was the last cartoon to even reference Hanna Barbara.
>We may never get another show that does that.

Fuck Disney and fuck that little shit Mickey.

What is it about that show that I missed? I admittedly only saw a single episode, but nothing about it appealed to me enough to want to watch more.

Hanna Barbara sucks tits and no one with two brain cells to rub together gives a fuck about them.

based clarence!

youtube.com/watch?v=k2Lr9RdaeJM

Most H-B shows were shitty garbage and also dated as fuck. Why would anyone want to remember them?

I only remember Johnny Bravo and Grim Adventures doing that a lot.

>/thread-ing your own post

CN has massively disowned those cartoons and wants nothing to do with them now.

People who worked at Cartoon Network/ Williams Street in the 90s and early 2000s.

This was just a few weeks ago, man.

>ITT: OP doesnt actually watch cartoons

Left and right look like bootleg Pikachu and Sanic

Grunkle was honestly what kept me going through the rough patches.

anyone remember Dick Dastardly in South Park?

Isn't most of adult swim just one big hanna barbera parody?

robot popeye was in an earlier episode too