Adaptations

Post some of the worst adaptations ever.

American Darkstalkers
American Street Fighter
Captain N
Sonic Underground
Sonic X

Americans suck at porting anything with japanese roots.

It's not an adaptation.

>It's not an adaptation.
Then what is it?

That is many things. A sequel, a spin-off, a revamp but not an adaptation.

You forgot SatAM.

Why DOES SatAM have such a loyal following, anyway? Like I know AoStH wasn't anything to write home about, but as a kid I always thought it was way better and closer to the source material than SatAM.

The Powerpuff Girls Reboot. Dunno if that counts, but it's crap in all sense of the words

-People who don't remember it very well but like what it represented.
-People who place drama on a pedestal.
-People who just legitimately have awful taste.

There was a thread just yesterday with people vehemently defending it, saying things like how it had a great plot when it was almost entirely disconnected stories each episode and describing characters like Bunnie as "the muscle of the team" despite her only displaying enhanced strength maybe twice in the whole series.

They just don't remember its problems or don't recognize them, especially in regards to plot and character writing.

>Why DOES SatAM have such a loyal following, anyway? Like I know AoStH wasn't anything to write home about, but as a kid I always thought it was way better and closer to the source material than SatAM.

The story might suck in retrospect (like where the fuck did that dragon come from?) but when you consider the fact that the majority of cartoons at the time were fine with just being a bunch of random episode that didn't go anywhere, it did seem refreshing.

... Of course, X-Men, Gargoyles, etc did it better but still.

That series fails most at being a sequel if it were its own series it would have been fine.

I dunno, man. That was a pretty good Astro Boy adaptation.

ctrl+f "michael bay"
0 results

Sup Forums I am disappoint.

... How though? Ignoring the basic story, all they changed were how some characters got their powers worked, beyond that it's all visual things like the Goblin suit.

This is the only good Superhero origin movie.

You guys can just admit you've never actually read a Spider-Man comic.

Blackie Gaxton killed Betty Brant's brother when Peter wrestled with his gun on that ship.

Eat my ass, Raimi's 1 was good.

Oh, hi Brockfaggot.
Eddie Brock is still a shit character.

We don't want to remember the explosions.

That isn't Eddie Brock you blind motherfucker.

I'm really fuckin' sick of this "the 80s TMNT cartoon was horrible" meme.

Did some youtube shill lord release a video shitting all over it or something? We barely talk about that show, and now for the past few months I keep seeing OPs using stock images of the turtles going "HURR WORST SHOW EVER"

I think more people finally went back and watched it.

To be fair, I didn't grow up with it, but I don't like the original cartoon. The 2003 show's writing with the 80's character and sound design and a touch more humor would have been ideal, in my opinion.

In the spirit of Spidey once thwarted Doc Ock using a camcorder and a Kiwi in a kiwi costume. Mattie Franklin did some boko spooko shit with Norman and got superpowers she used to impersonate Spidey when he went missing. In the issue where the Sinister Six was formed, Spidey was clearly in trouble but Professor X was a dick and ordered the X-Men to continue training rather than offer him any help.

Or it just wasn't very good.

>-People who just legitimately have awful taste.
Taste is a meme. People aren't born with a magical ability to determine some abstract quality.

Well I mean... Have you tried to watch since you grew up? It's pretty awful.

Nearly every episode follows a formula that was tired even by the late 80's, it has plotholes you can drive a tank through, story elements often come out of nowhere, it had painfully obvious production errors even in the short seasons and it's all tied together by a dopey unfunny sense of humor.

The fact that taste isn't innate doesn't change that some people have a poor ability to discern qualities of writing.

idk about this being an adaptation, more of a sequel I guess, but this was really hard to get through. I'd say it's worse than most of the Scrappy shit because at least those are only about 15 minutes long. This was just boring.

shit forgot the pic

>with the 80's character and sound design
what the fuck am I reading

When the OP's parents adapted their genes to procreate him.

OP never said the show itself was bad, just that it was bad at being an adaptation. Which it is, not counting the Turtles themselves, the main consisted of 3 from the comic and 6 that were made up for the show (if not more). Beyond that there's like 5 others taken from the comics that pop up once in a while, everyone else was made for the show or the toyline. As for story and imagery, it's like trying to find needles in a haystack, the origin barely resembles the one from the comic and after the first season it's really hard to see anything but coincidental parallels.

And I didn't even have to bring up the tone!

Green hornet
lone ranger
2009 Astro boy movie
1997 The Spawn

not OP but to be fair, 80's turtles in retrospect is a p damn mixed bag looking back (although what 80's action-figure-fueled cartoon wasn't?). Season 3 (like, holy shit, that's enough episodes for the average Disney Channel cartoon right there) and season 7 (with the Vacation in Europe sideseason being an especially low point) being the most mixed, imo, and that's before we get into the so-desperate-to-be-90's Red Sky seasons.

Anything is better than 4Kids sound mixing, and the turtles were a bit too...angular. They weren't goofy looking enough for me.

Spawn doesn't deserve to be in that list

Are you trying to tell me a show made to sell toys to kids 30+ years ago does not appeal to the tastes of edgy late 20's virgins?

The character design change away from goofy-looking was one of the best changes. Are you even old enough to be on Sup Forums?
And literally what is wrong with the mixing?

You might have had an actual point had a vastly superior cartoon that showed exactly how to make a proper TMNT show never existed.

Isn't that how most 80's cartoons worked out when they were taken from other media?

>The Conan show was nothing like the books or movies in any significant way.
>Beetlejuice was nothing at all like the movie, and he was a hero character that was best friends with Lydia
>Robocop was an upbeat almost superhero that only fought badguys and never a corrupt politician or executive
>Ghostbusters were best friends with Slimer and acted like the end of the film never happened, none of them resembled their movie counterparts
>Teen Wolf was about a much larger family of happy werewolves that kept themselves a secret from the town
>Rambo was a traveling hero with teen sidekicks
>And Highlander......is a goddamn mess...just a huge fucking mess...

Even Disney tv shows based on movies have a weird habit of sticking them into some in universe version of a high school like Hercules

>Made 16 years later for a different network by a different production company
>Wasn't made to sell toys
>made for an older demographic
>nostalgia goggles for your favorite when you were 7 instead of when someone else was 7

The nostalgia goggles argument doesn't work when something is objectively superior, fool.

A few reasons:
- Furries
- Those who think AoSTH is "too kiddie"
- Those who like the "Grimdark" and "Lore"

It feels like it's a proto-Steven Universe, but with animals and robots instead of rock aliens. And with more forced humor like Dulcy's 'Izzat you ma?' running gag or those two episodes where the stories were 11 minutes. And this is just season 2.

>work when something is objectively superior

Not sure what's so funny.

I just realized AoStH and SatAM were different shows. I kept wondering why everyone kept talking about the drama in that light-hearted comedy

I know you don't

None of this has the furst fucking thing to do with TMNT you fucking autist

Waifus

Don't what?

I want Sup Forumss opinion on this, I was never a fan of the tmnt cartoon, any of them but I read the mirage and idw comics, and loved them and now find the 80s cartoon not only not interesting but shit. Am I an autist?

The show was fucking huge in the 80's, and not because the comics had any form of popularity before. Interest in comics came in because of the show.

The gargantuan media craze that immediately spawned lots of movies, games, and tons of toys.

So someone somewhere had to have liked it at some point. It cannot be America trolling everyone else for such a long time.

I remain unconvinced

The show was awful, it cannot be a case of aging badly. It is literally fucking awful.

Most likely kids at the time were too mesmerized with the toys to bother watching the ridiculous antics happening on the tv. So they just assumed the show was as fun as the figures and playsets.