Why don't action cartoons sell anymore?

Why don't action cartoons sell anymore?

Steven Universe and THAT show popularized the "feelings over force" thing and now every new show is trying to recapture it.

Because the talent left the industry after 2005. Your pic very much related.

And the networks went for it because action scenes are more expensive than "talking about your emotions" scenes.

>action cartoons are my thing when i was young
>start developing show bibles to share with networks maybe
>action cartoons have been dead and unsuccessful since JLU ended/original Ben 10 aired

>it's about the toys guys
then why does SU continue to be aired when I've never seen a SU toy in my life

They're totally superfluous because videogames occupy their commercial niche among youth.

Because there is no one left in the current industry that knows how to animate fight scenes that well.

All the veteran action animators are either retired, or fucked off from animation forever.

Animes fault

gets tumblr talking I guess?

Because:
-too hard for our anima- i mean, storyboarders to do
-anime fills that action niche that kids crave much better than any cartoon can
-video games

they are too expensive compared to Jhonny Test-esque shows.
Low quality, easy production, maximum output

fucking this. We get maybe 5 new cartoon series a year which most likely fizzle. Meanwhile those filthy chinks spit out 30 shows a season with like 10 specials and 5 movies. per fucking season.

I don't see how thats a bad thing.
Also
>5 new cartoons a year
Try every 4 years.

aka, everyone is realizing the industry was a fucking sham that in most cases can't pay artists a reasonable wage - same reason the new season of Attack on Titan is shorter and lower quality

Yeah, people at that skill level would be working either for the big animation movie studios, storyboarding for films or maybe ads, or in vidya. Not entirely gone but just not involved with tv animation.

I'm pretty sure the wages of western animators and animation producers are a lot more liveable than the slave wages in Japan. You are aware that the anime industry and western tv animation industry are separate entities, right? No one is that stupid

cause they think about merchandise sales more then the show itself. Plus the lack of DVD/Blu-ray releases for certain shows due to the excuse of "You have the internet, why should we give you DVD's?"

Yeah that's more accurate.
The skill is there, they just don't want anything to do with TV show cartoons any more.
Its a waste of time.

It sells a shitload of games.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Cost more to make than a comedy cartoon who can get by on cheaper styles since it's not meant to be serious.

because you can play better action cartoons on your fukken phone now

why wait for someone else to tell you a story when you can be the story

what kind of pussy wants to be told a fukken story in the first place

are you a boy

or are you a MAN of ACTION

I'd rather be a MAN OF DESTINY

MLP always uses lasers to beat the villains, you filthy liar.

With all the positive buzz from Samurai Jack, I can see a few new ones being greenlit now

>Posting something from Genndy "the hack" Tartakovsky as an example of a good action cartoon

But SVTOE, SuperNoobs, SU, and AT are pretty much action cartoons

Is the better option to go to Netflix for action cartoons? Voltron seems to be doing pretty well there.

Animators, unless you work for a huge company like Disney or Pixar, get paid absolute dick. Theres a reason why you need absolute passion to stay in this industry - you have to legit love what you do. Most animators do, so they put up with it, but they certainly arn't paid what the are worth. They toss more money at the voice actors than the people who actually do the work.

How do I know this? I'm an animation/illustration student. I chose 3d modeling because that's more lucrative, especially if you know rigging and such.

the typical anime is easy as fuck to animate. They typically animate on 3's, so every 3rd frame is a drawing, and even then its all lazily thrown together, such as, say, your bullshit mouth animations.

I've learned a lot about the animation industry. Anime is a fucking sham.

It's mildly difficult to do, and more importantly since basically no one does it theres no person to hire to do it reliably

Also on a side note, there aren't even very many anime that do this. 90% of modern anime are adaptions of either a manga or a light novel. You can't really do intense cinematic fight scenes in still picture form or in written word form, so most of them do a more narrative approach. Person A uses their powers to do this, person B counters doing this, so on and so on. Then when the anime comes out most of that stays around. That's why you see so much sitting around and talking in modern anime fights.

Western cartoons are in a state of severe decline which is why animu has become so popular in the west.

When Samurai Jack is considered a super special treat these days rather than "another great show" you know it's bad

And shit like Steven Universe isn't?

Face it, animation is on life support all across the world.

High cost and low return.

>the typical anime is easy as fuck to animate
>looks better than western cartoons despite this because of generally better composition and framing (which comes from the fact that most shots are straight visual translations of manga panels which are created with strict focus on the still image in mind)
>easy as fuck to animate means that all of the budget can be conserved for a single instance of strong animation, referred to as "Sakuga".