What does Sup Forums think of FoxTrot?

What does Sup Forums think of FoxTrot?

It's funny sometimes, confusing other times

Back in the day it was very good, now it feels like a relic.

I fucking loved Foxtrot growing up and need to get some collections one day

I have a collection or two of them. Always liked them, maybe not the best, but still pretty good.

I have many collections. I grew up with it and I love going back to read it. A lot of the jokes are really dated though since there was a lot of 90s pop culture. I'm not sure kids today get into it.

It's pretty nostalgic seeing old jokes about dialup or Jason saying it would be great if he could play his games on a color computer.

90's foxtrot was fun and did nerdshit references before the internet ruined that kind of humor.
now you can tell Bill hasn't given a shit in 10+ years.

Yeah, I mostly agree with user here. I felt like Amend was one of the last people who honestly *tried* to tell both jokes and stories within the newspaper strip medium and while he ultimately gave up on that, by that point things were dying anyway.

...I honestly never liked Andy the mother much though; she kept getting stories and focus strips that just proved how much of a fucking hypocrite she was and she never really got called out for her shit.

I miss Denise. She kept things lively.

She was my first Sup Forumsfu

Lara croft

I'm honestly baffled that this never got a television show in the late '80s or early '90s. There was a minor craze for animated adaptions of comic strips at the time and this seems tailor-made for a series.

Apparently Amend forgot about her for a time and then was too embarrassed and or unable to reinsert her back into the strip. By that point I don't think FT told stories anymore, either.

This is one of the most upsetting things I have ever heard about works of fiction in my entire life.

I adored Denise as a character. To hear of an author simply forgetting about such a well put together character... is disheartening.

Admittedly Denise had her flaws - she was jealous, occasionally petty, and a bit sour-tempered compared to the Fox family.

However, that tended to counterbalance Paige's fluff and Jason's wackiness. I also suspect that it made Peter look even more milquetoast than Amend planned for him to be. He didn't know how to mellow out her character properly so he dropped her out.

Too bad he didn't give her and Peter a proper breakup - it could've helped make him into a more mature person that could end up with either a) another girlfriend easier for Amend to write or b) a reconciled Denise who had learned to tame her worse attributes.

I'm legit sorry if I ruined your day, dude. :/

...But like I said, as time went on, Amend stopped making plotlines; I can't remember any after the 90s ended and Denise almost exclusively appeared in weeklong+ stories with Peter. I can think of... well, like two gag strips where she was used (one was a daily about how bad a driver Peter was, and the other was ... this really adorable strip where Jason pretended to be Peter while talking to her (thinking she could fooled) and she amusingly played along.)

Shit, I would have loved a goddang comic about *her* instead of the Foxes. But the problem is she was a nuanced character, like you said, and such characters won't last in what became a zombie medium that became nothing more than gag-a-day tripe...*fifteen fucking years ago* or more.

I dunno; that just rounds her out more. I don't know where you're getting sour-tempered when Peter tried to break up with her on an asinine whim-- at least she was a much better character than the mother. Andy was a complete and utter hypocritical killjoy who rallied against violent video games only to become addicted to them, revealed embarrassing family secrets to the public with her newpaper column and *did not in anyway way grasp why this was wrong or why her family was upset with her,* **beat her husband half to death (offscreen) after her kids let him take the blame for breaking their computer**, and even yelled at her oldest son for getting hit on the bean with a baseball (which *was in no way his fucking fault*.)

She was a shrewish, annoying, asshole who lorded over her family constantly.

This is depressing yet makes a lot of sense. Huh.

I never felt like it affected Peter badly, though. He AND Denise had their flaws but were clearly head over heels adoring of each other. Peter was a lovable airhead who did his best for Denise, who was outgoing without being manic pixie and was protective of him. It really felt like a lovely balance.

This. I miss when Amend gave a shit on the ongoing characterization. He recognized they were all eternally at their ages and personalities but didn't let it invalidate continuity of past events or occasional character development that made sense.

I feel like in today's world of nerd culture taking over Jason would have a goddamn renaissance.

>ywn have a qt blind waifu
Why live?

>wanting a blind woman
How goblin-like are you, my friend

Slightly below average

On the goblin scale or the human scale

the flying fuck?
i didn't know this.
fuck.
i have like 3 collections of foxtrot.

can someone post up the last times she came out?

always thought her and peter would be together. fuck.

I fucking loved Foxtrot

Human. I had a gay friend who found me attractive and I don't know how I feel about that.

My dad had all the Foxtrot anthologies so I grew up reading them up until he stopped doing dailies.

His weeklies now are so low effort they really don't even have a punchline.

However in its heyday I consider it top 3 daily funnies with Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side. Now reading these is like a time capsule though because where Calvin and Hobbes is a bit timeless because it contains very few references to contemporary things, but Foxtrot has Peter standing in his bedroom getting hyped about Bruce Springsteen, and the era of Foxtrot can be measured by what computer Jason uses.

To me it's basically the comic equivalent of the Simpsons. Amazing at its heyday, but more or less a shambling corpse now. Granted, it's probably a lot better than modern day Simpsons.

My local paper dropped the strip when he stopped doing dailies and I gradually lost track of it. I don't have any perspective on what's happened since, but I loved it back in its heyday.
I think Amend may have been the only newspaper cartoonist to actually grasp Internet culture. Even Scott Adams for all his computer knowledge never touched upon anything other than trolling.

Denise was such a great character, and she never felt token, either.
I've got to make a tribute to her in something I do, if I ever fucking make anything of value.

I don't play WoW, but in the Best Of book released for FT (A pretty big 2 book collection that comes in a neat sleeve I got for 20 bucks at Barnes and Noble, would recommend for those who wanna relive the strip's glory days), Bill mentions how Blizzard put his fake weapon Jason kept lusting for in the comic and I thought that was a nice gesture.

This comic had a weird mix of the incompetent dad trope while also having Roger be demonstrated to be a good father, a good husband, and competent at his job, although as it went on Roger inevitably became dumber and dumber.

Meanwhile Andy actually sometimes did kind of stupid things or messed things up although it was often in relation to the kids rather than Roger. Wasn't quite as good a dynamic as Calvin's parents but we spent far more time with Roger and Andy and it made them feel like real parents. It was pretty good.

Also who was in the wrong, Steve or Peter?

Didn't mean to reply to that

fucking loved foxtrot. ive got almost all the collections except the new ones he does with the sundays only shit.
when i read it first i related to jason, but as i grew up i started relating more to peter. good times and i wish amend would come back and do it full time.

>mfw I first realized I was way older than Peter now but still relating to his struggles

Loved it in the 90s. Haven't read it in over a decade. Seems to me in retrospect to be the predecessor to a lot of the nerdy pop-culture based webcomics of the 2000s.

Yeah, but it was good.