The captain underpants movie was very cute and wholesome, kind of a contrast to the misanthropy of the books...

the captain underpants movie was very cute and wholesome, kind of a contrast to the misanthropy of the books. the end of the series gave a sort of lonely, imminent bad end vibe.

im glad i got to read it with you all

also edith a cute

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EtyJ0oL21-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=EtyJ0oL21-I
you have a best friend that you can sing this to, right?

Has Kristen Schaal finally voiced another character who isn't obnoxious?

Pilkey was clearly in a bad place when he was finishing the series and it shows pretty heavily.

That said, despite really doing nothing with Krupp, having one set of the kids still going on madcap adventures and the other set settling down and going 'hey, let's do something new' was a pretty sweet ending in that sense.

Edith is fucking adorable

Is it wrong that I feel like any sequels will be more lighthearted than the books?

No. In fact, I would really prefer that any sequel films be more lighthearted. The books after Pilkey's 6-year hiatus have a clearly bitter undertone to them.

Sometimes he goes off on a tangent about why adults are terrible, why life is unfair, or some other soapbox. He even explicitly discusses how misdirection is found everywhere, citing politics and religion.

It's not hard to see that this is likely coming from him losing his father, but it's a strange deviation from the sillier tone of the earlier books.

Can I get an explanation on these bitter endings?

I've never read anything past like two of the first couple and this thread piqued my interest.

Thats depressing, I'm happy this movie ended up capturing the light hearted nature of middle school kids better than any other recent movie has

My best friend is a girl

That may refer to how there's no resolution or development for Mr. Krupp. After 12 books, it ends with him still being a cranky and miserable person. Contrast this with the movie, where he lightens up a little bit and finds companionship with the lunch lady.

But again, Pilkey was clearly bringing his emotional baggage to the table when he wrote the last 4 books.

>tfw I have no one to sing this with

This song makes me wish I could make an animated video of this song with George and Harold

I kinda wished it had ended with, say, Krupp CHOOSING to be Captain Underpants and then saving the day, and then it'd be a kindof cool thematic resolution going on...

but hey, that's what a sequel is for

Mr. Krupp gets de-hypnotized and thus isn't able to become Captain Underpants. When George and Harold get back to the treehouse, they consider drawing a new CU comic, but instead make one about Dog-Man, effectively erasing the Captain from existence

>effectively erasing the Captain from existence
What? No, they just decided to start a different project. No reason they can't go back to CU later.
The fucked up part is howGeorge and Harold decide to travel time and space after they hear their parents say they preferred the versions of them that were drugged to the gills with Ritalin, leaving the other set to write Dog-Man.

You'd think the movie trying to make Krupp more sympathetic and giving him a love interest would just be stupid Hollywood bullshit, but I think they did a pretty good job with it actually. It was interesting seeing him be a little more human for a change.

Maybe the movie is more lighthearted and wholesome than the books, but even as a fan I wouldn't really that's a bad thing. I fucking loved this movie and I cannot wait for the home release.

I have no friends, I can't go see this movie.

This is so ugly and dumb. Jesus christ why not worship mega babies while you are at it.

>misanthropy
Wait, what

Yeah, she's the secretary.

Anyone knows where can i found scans of the books? I missed the few storytimes.

So that means they removed all of his powers as well?

He lost his powers before that, fighting the end boss.

I haven't had a best friend since Elementary school.

stop reminding me of myself, superman

Also interesting is how Poopypants is less sympathetic than in the books. Even in the Nobel Prize flashback, he was into science for wealth and fame, rather than for altruistic reasons, and it's more obvious he's acting out of a wounded ego.

At least you had one.

> im glad i got to read it with you all
Wait, what?
When? Where?

I'd describe the ending as more melancholy than actually bitter or dark. I mean, both sets of kids get relatively happy ends. It's just the execution of it.

I didn't know Schaal was in there until Edith appeared and I was really surprised Schaal has the ability to make herself sound older than 10.
I wasn't blown away by her acting, but I was decently surprised.

And yes, Edith is a cute. And Mr.Krupp deserves some happiness.