What went wrong exactly?

What went wrong exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xPJ0xKBvKIA
youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd4PyTyG1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Of all the characters they could've used for a spinoff they picked fucking Cleveland.

it was poorly written and targetted at a non-existent demographic

Who would you have picked?

No one gave it a chance. it was a perfectly fine cartoon and no one I know can really make any criticism thats not "It shouldn't have been about Cleveland"
Like, Cleveland in this show isn't even the same character as the one from FG (Besides design I guess)

blacks watch a ton of TV, in fact they watch a lot of family guy but even they couldn't be assed to care about Cleveland

I liked it

Nothing, it was pretty good but kind of suffered by making Cleveland's character more like Peter's.

It was given enough chances to go for four seasons

The writers didn't give it a chance considering they changed Cleveland's personality entirely after the fucking pilot

t. jesse jackson

The first season is miserable, even AD only had a small slump at first. The Cleveland Show was literally Black Family Guy at the start and I think that turned a lot of people off, it did get better though and I think character wise it's definitely better than FG mostly because those characters are essentially just edgy parodies of themselves now. And now those characters never show up or are background characters in Family Guy

>Cleveland in this show isn't even the same character as the one from FG (Besides design I guess)
That's part of what made the show shitty and weird. In Family Guy he was a deadpan character who was unfazed by the crazy shit always going on around him. In the spinoff he was just a spazzy black Peter.

I want to fuck his daughter

If I had to make a spinoff I'd just make it about Stewie and Brian's adventures, but I don't really know how you'd detach those two from Family Guy.

Joe could probably carry his own series

That would just be depressing.

A comedic cop series sounds pretty dope. So long as Joe remains a hardass.

It just wasn't funny. A lot of jokes dragged on way too long, and the writers thought "Hey, this is so ironic, we'll make the characters drone and go on the same joke for 3 minutes." But no, it's not funny if the jokes were never good

>show was supposed to be black family guy
>literally all secondary characters were white

also I want the bear to fuck me in the ass

Quagmire's sexcapades

I liked the theme song for it, that's about it. I also wondered why David Lynch was a recurring character in the show

It was as mediocre as can be, sometimes terrible. Still liked it more than family guy. Cleveland here is more like Homer, which is better than being another Peter.

Honestly better then family guy at the time. It felt less cynically made.

teenagers and normies in their 20s.

youtube.com/watch?v=xPJ0xKBvKIA

If we're talking Family Guy spinoffs, I would have gone with Meg as the main character, have her leave Quahog to go to college, give her a design and personality overhaul as well(to totally leave behind as much of her FG self as possible), maybe reintroduce some dropped concepts for her like her briefly being a nationally acclaimed singer, or her having served time in jail

Don't have much else for it at the moment, but I think it could have worked, would definitely been more original than Cleveland Show was

Shut up, Meg.

He does.
It's called American Dad.

>Who would you have picked?

Mayor Adam West (RIP)

Well besides Cleveland, Meg is pretty much the only other major character in Family Guy who could both be removed from the show with minimal effect(Meg is barely even in the show these days unless an A or B plot is focused on her), and could potentially carry their own show(Joe & Quagmire wouldn't be able to carry their own shows, and no one else in the family really works either, as Peter, Lois, Brian, and Stewie are all too essential, and Chris is too young and one dimensional in personality to work as a show's primary protagonist)

this

The only problem is most writers on Fox don't know how to write for a female teen character. Why else do you think Meg and Hayley (from AD) have so little screen time?

You for watching it.

What the hell is Family Guy going to do about this?

Who else but Quagmire?

youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd4PyTyG1o

>"This is worse than the they time Mayor Adam West died!"

>*death scene with shoehorned gore*

>Peter breaks the 4th wall and explains this is how they're writing him out of the show

Never found its footing. Watching it just felt like a mediocre version of Family Guy whose writing even at its best was never too much to write home about. American Dad was hitting classic episodes by the end of the first season and Futurama was the same. Cleveland was treading water well past that point. Not even a breakout character to kind of keep bringing in a few people to see where they're going with them. Roger, Stewie, Bender, Bart...Cleveland Jr. had his moments but even he never quite found a comedy niche to fill that some other characters could start to orbit around like the other characters I mentioned.

That actually sounds quite possible.

show least had some fappable characters

The fact that Cleveland's character was "Not very interesting black guy" and they decided to change his character to "Generic over-active black guy #7"

>tfw they just glossed over the fact she jacked Cleveland off and stole his baby gravy

Say that the old mayor retired and introduce the new mayor. Simple.

Roberta's the most f'able of the three seth show daughters and she's probably treated worse than meg in terms of characterization/focus.

how?!!

though I find his supporting cast better than the other two's.

hey seth can you make a 3rd show, but make it about black people cause obamas president now, thanks.

i swear we would have gotten "girl" family guy if Hilary was president.

What went right?

There is nothing generic about Cleaveland.

Anyone else also like her younger version?

They literally just tried to make "Black Family Guy" and expected a success.
It has some good parts but it's mostly just kinda meh. Family guy barely squeaks by just being Family Guy now, we didn't need two of them. At least American Dad, which is the same formula character-wise, did something different and ran with it. It's imo the best of the three McFarfag shows.

They use clones as a replacement. Or Robots. Or the first season is about a cult of people who froze time to live forever but they are immune against this due to plot armor so they try to unfix the time freeze.

Cleveland is not supposed to be an angry black Peter.

>Make a spin off for the character with no personality
>Turn him into black Peter to make up for it

Dick shaped logo

wait so we all agree that all the people who still watch family guy (myself included) do so because of stewie?

From what little I see of Family Guy nowadays he's the only character I find any fun. Somehow compared to everyone else he's become the most consistently written character and while EVERYONE else literally bathes in being a crass asshole Stewie seems to do his silly adventures while avoiding being a complete dick to everyone. I think because he's a baby that has been clearly established as unable to talk to anyone in the main group outside Brian this had unwittingly helped the writers because he doesn't have as much of an opportunity to be a complete asshole. A snide remark here or there but beyond that he's kind of forced to do his own thing unless Brian is involved.

First Episode:

>Cleveland is an actual character with a moral compass, interests, and drive that don't change to fit the convenience of a cheap joke. He leaves Quahog because he's not the type of person who will be fine living out one meaningless adventure after another. He goes out and gets the girl he wants even after the years have passed because true love is real, works hard to win over her kids, and remains a loving father to his own son. He is a calming influence, but that doesn't mean he won't stand up for what he believes in.

Second episode until end of the series:

>Cleveland is a fat lazy slob with low impulse control that Loretta has to regularly yell at to get off the damn couch. Because he is so lazy, things have to happen to him on a regular basis instead of him doing things. He has a Stan Smith level of embarrassment about Cleveland Jr's nerdy hobbies and lack of physical prowess and every time he has to interact with Loretta's kids he has to let out a sigh. The episodes are either driven by a conflict created by Cleveland's sefishness at the expense of someone he supposedly loves or his laziness to prevent a conflict that he saw coming and has to be convinced to address the hassle.

Out of character: The series

I thought it was good by the third and 4th seasons when the characters finally settled in. Roberta started to become responsible, Rollo has become a teeny bit tolerable, then there are people like Freight train being a mystery novelist. The CS side characters are easily better than Family guy characters Id say they are almost American dad level by the end.

>fat, dumb, main character who gets up to goofy shenanigans

It's just Family Guy with a worst cast and a main character who's boring.

Had Cleaveland Jr. ever appeared in Familly Guy, before the Cleaveland show?

Family Guy doesn't have characters anymore. Just an assortment of archetypes that twist for series of disconnected gags. I don't think Stewie holds monopoly on funny gags.

Tried to make it black family guy instead of its own thing. It actually got pretty solid once it got its own footing in the late third and fourth seasons, but by that time it's head was already on the chopping block.
It would have been better if they decided to do the go your own route thing like American Dad did way earlier instead of purposefully playing the role of Family Guy second banana.

yeah, a s a thin ADHD kid.

Could you be more underage

it was family guy with more likeable characters so naturally americans couldn't relate to it

>Loretta

wat

this. fucking this.

>But he can't even carry himself

Instead of using a black family to create interesting new character archetypes outside family guy (like american dad did) they just made black versions of the griffins, then watered them down even further.

Joe would strictly be the main source of comedy all the time and this would wear out its welcome very quickly.

He's already the funniest character in Family Guy. May as well leave him at that.